Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,850 members, 7,813,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? (26218 Views)

What Is The Implication Of Using The Governor Of My State As A REFEREE? / Is This Appointment Letter Legit / Is This Appointment Letter Genuine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by pappy4real(m): 8:19am On Mar 01, 2020
enemachris:
Its risky though. So this firm sent me a congratulatory message last week to start training with them next week without employment letter, I boldly told them that am not coming because every reasonable company would give you an employment letter. Atleast the employment letter will state your entitlement, and thats the only thing that binds you and the company.
Hmm, employment letter usually comes after a successful training session because it's sometimes realized that some employees are untrainable and it will be too much hazzle for coys to give binding documents to untrained staff
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by lekspot01(m): 8:21am On Mar 01, 2020
deltateam:
Must you demand for an appointment letter before starting work?
In my own place of work, you must work for less than 5 years before appointment letter would be given to you and after that you must work for another five years before leaving the company and have the benefit. We are in a country

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Alphaman007: 8:22am On Mar 01, 2020
It's been 3 months working for an organization and they haven't given us employment letter
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by bluefilm: 8:23am On Mar 01, 2020
You may even be accused of crimes like trespassing, stealing, spying etc.

Beware...

3 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by fabienjoe: 8:24am On Mar 01, 2020
It means you're just a casual worker. You have no contract. You are working at your own risk. They can decide not to pay you and you can't do anything about it. On the flip side, you're not bound by any rule. You can be late or decide not to go to work at all, they can deal with the issue any way their deem fit and if that way is unacceptable to you, you can casually walk away from them. The only rule that applies between you and them is that which applies to everyone in the society - no illegality..
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by jamace(m): 8:24am On Mar 01, 2020
Alphaman007:
It's been 3 months working for an organization and they haven't given us employment letter
Your names are written in PENCIL in that organisation. You can easily be erased any moment. grin

3 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by pocohantas(f): 8:25am On Mar 01, 2020
enemachris:
Its risky though. So this firm sent me a congratulatory message last week to start training with them next week without employment letter, I boldly told them that am not coming because every reasonable company would give you an employment letter. Atleast the employment letter will state your entitlement, and thats the only thing that binds you and the company.

It should come after your training. I am sure I only got mine after I completed my training, SUCCESSFULLY. Both my first and second jobs.

Prior to that, you only get an invitation to training, which would clearly state that your letter of employment would be given after you complete the training.

Are you new in the workforce or what?

3 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by busariabeyx24(m): 8:25am On Mar 01, 2020
deltateam:
truth be told, there are some benefits attached to having an appointment letter but if you do not have any from your work place yet do not worry as long as your pay keeps coming in .
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by neatideas: 8:27am On Mar 01, 2020
falufosi:
I was not given at my formal place of work,when I wanted to leave I didn't even notify I just left.So I didn't resign I just stop going.That is the advantage.

I think you should have resigned, if that company details is on your CV your new employer may contact them for reference.
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by levite247: 8:27am On Mar 01, 2020
And you can't even sue them if they don't pay.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by efewizey(m): 8:29am On Mar 01, 2020
deltateam:

Don't be a victim. It happened to me. My friends adviced me but I felt as long as the pay was good. I was discharged without a reason..especially if it's a one man business get your letter. That's proof you are a legit staff

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by fergie001: 8:29am On Mar 01, 2020
abdeiz:
Nice question OP.. Let me put this out there too.

What action can one take when their employers asks them to sign an undertaking to say they are no longer entitled to annual leave after working for a year. Is that right?
What does your appointment letter say?
If it's contrary, don't sign it.

I know it might be a factory or one of these companies headed by these Kora people.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 01, 2020
If you're working without employment letter, if your employer decides not to pay you up to normal salary or he owes you salary you can't do jackshit because he can claim you're just working as a volunteer and he only pays you stipends depending on his wish, he can claim anything, he can say he's only helping you all this while, that you're not his employee. You can't prove anything. And you can be lay off without any benefit, you don't have a specific job description, so they can even tell you to start doing roles you didn't bargain for. You are not binded by anything so anything can happen in that kind of job

The advantage : You can also resign without giving prior notice according to labor law, without being sanctioned too.
Both party can't prove Jack. Both party can misbehave.

But it's advisable to always demand employment letter. It's not even possible to gain employment with government without appointment letter.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by RedBororo(m): 8:31am On Mar 01, 2020
Even a contract staff is issue letter, if it a field job , if any injury happens to you OYO remains your case, but bros working without appointments letter is like a waste cause you can not update the experience on your CV , the disadvantage is so high than the advantage

2 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by deltateam: 8:32am On Mar 01, 2020
priscaoge:
I think you might not have a case against them in Court when something happens.

They can wake up anytime and terminate your job. What is stated in your appointment letter determines if you will accept the job or reject it depending on what you look out for in terms of benefits.

It’s not advisable to be working with an appointment letter

Check your last sentence again.
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 01, 2020
A new employer might even demand prove that you have worked in the place you wrote in your cv, which should be your employment letter.

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Goalnaldo(m): 8:33am On Mar 01, 2020
pocohantas:

It should come after your training. I am sure I only got mine after I completed my training, SUCCESSFULLY. Both my first and second jobs.

Prior to that, you only get an invitation to training, which would clearly state that your letter of employment would be given after you complete the training successfully.

Are you new in the workforce or what?

I'll like to meet you one day. You radiate so much knowledge smiley
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by priscaoge(f): 8:33am On Mar 01, 2020
deltateam:

Check your last sentence again.

It was an error.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by abdeiz(m): 8:35am On Mar 01, 2020
fergie001:

What does your appointment letter say?
If it's contrary, don't sign it.

I know it might be a factory or one of these companies headed by these Kora people.

Not a factory, a private contractor working for the government. My employment letter states I'm entitled to it. But they threatened to sack and withhold the salaries of those who didn't sign.. Implicitly of course.
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by 4four(m): 8:36am On Mar 01, 2020
abdeiz:
Nice question OP.. Let me put this out there too.

What action can one take when their employers asks them to sign an undertaking to say they are no longer entitled to annual leave after working for a year. Is that right?
that particular company must be slave yard. I known it will either be Indians or Chinese company or Lebanese but it is mostly going to be Chinese own
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Jamesrock(m): 8:37am On Mar 01, 2020
deltateam:
Please I beg you to collect an appointment letter before you start work... I am saying this from Experience, Where I served, I was asked to wait behind that they are working on my appointment letter. Well, EQ made me work for two months without an appointment letter... Only for them to tell me that they can’t retain me cos of financial issues... Well, that one nah sakamaje!!! I was asked to wait for those two months not because of appointment letter but it’s cos they had many projects at hand. And they need more hands to handle it... Well, I’ve moved on and Pls and pls collect ur appointment letter

4 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by AkuOlisa: 8:37am On Mar 01, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Paulpaulpaul:

I said in as much as his name is on the payroll and of course he gets the agreed salary.

They can sack him him without payoff
And he may not get to enjoy other benefits the company can even claim he is a contract staff and without the employment letter he have nothing to prove.

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by abdeiz(m): 8:37am On Mar 01, 2020
4four:
that particular company must be slave yard. I known it will either be Indians or Chinese company or Lebanese but it is mostly going to be Chinese own

Our own very people oo.. Full blooded Nigerians with strong ties in government.
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by fergie001: 8:40am On Mar 01, 2020
abdeiz:

Not a factory, a private contractor working for the government. My employment letter states I'm entitled to it. But they threatened to sack and withhold the salaries of those who didn't sign.. Implicitly of course.
We are in Nigeria, and they know our labour laws are non-existent and un-enforceable.
My brother, it's one of two options. Take your annual leave when you are suppose to..if they fire you on that, sue them.

Second option....Continue the job, perhaps urge them tacitly too, for them to add something on your salary to cover up for the annual leave you are to jettison.

Advise: Take the second option
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by ziondaughter247: 8:40am On Mar 01, 2020
My dear....there are more disadvantages than advantages. Any company that does not give employment letter before or within 1 week of resumption is a very bad place to work, especially if it is a privately owned naija company(one man business). I worked for one that never gave employers letter and that was because the owner had some lawsuits from previous employees and they had proof against him. So those of us that came later never got a letter and they can do and undo anytime. In fact deducting or not paying salary was very common there and they used us like slaves.
When I really discovered the seriousness of not having a letter was when I wanted to apply for a Visa and I needed to show my current job employment letter. It was a major headache for me and I couldn't approach my boss for one so he wouldn't know I was planning to apply for a visa. It was a one man business, so you can imagine the level of high handedness. I ended up not getting the Visa and one of the reasons they gave was 'current employment situation'.
The funny thing is that when this company want to sack someone, they will give you sack letter to sign. People started having sense and they started insisting that they would not sign any sack letter when there wasn't an employment letter in the first place.

Nevertheless, I am employed now in a much better and organized place. I received my employment letter 2 weeks before starting. To God be the glory.

7 Likes

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by 4four(m): 8:45am On Mar 01, 2020
pappy4real:

Hmm, employment letter usually comes after a successful training session because it's sometimes realized that some employees are untrainable and it will be too much hazzle for coys to give binding documents to untrained staff
but there is what they called appointment letter which you must collected before you touch any thing in any organization then follow by confirmation letter after successful undergoing training

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by abdeiz(m): 8:45am On Mar 01, 2020
fergie001:

We are in Nigeria, and they know our labour laws are non-existent and un-enforceable.
My brother, it's one of two options. Take your annual leave when you are suppose to..if they fire you on that, sue them.

Second option....Continue the job, perhaps urge them tacitly too, for them to add something on your salary to cover up for the annual leave you are to jettison.

Advise: Take the second option

Thank you.. I'd go with second option although highly unlikely they'd add to our salary.. Currently on the search for a new job while I manage this for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Edusteve(m): 8:46am On Mar 01, 2020
Working for free you mean?

Do you need organic traffic to your blog/site or you are not earning much from your AdSense contact me now
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by fergie001: 8:48am On Mar 01, 2020
abdeiz:

Thank you.. I'd go with second option although highly unlikely they'd add to our salary.. Currently on the search for a new job while I manage this for now.
God's Grace, bro

1 Like

Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Tweiker: 9:00am On Mar 01, 2020
Paulpaulpaul:
Nothing, in as much as your name is on the payroll. It gives you an added advantage over others that may be restricted by the codes of conduct in the letter; you can easily claim ignorance of the rules whenever you flout any of it

@emboldened

It works both ways. My businessman cousin uses this loophole all the time to fire people over little stuff with zero compensations
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by naturefellow(m): 9:03am On Mar 01, 2020
It is required that you're issued an appointment / offer letter by your employer. Request for it if not issued by default. It is quite unsafe to be working without such a document especially in the Nigerian Labour Market of today.
Re: What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 01, 2020
what is the incurred cost in printing one ,if the employer is not mischievous.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Business Idea For A Budget Of 500k / Recruitment At Federal University Gashua. Yobe State / Early Jobs Of Some Famous Billionaires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.