Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth (22774 Views)

Caesarean Section For Childbirth / How NCDC Distributed Jack Ma's Donations Nationwide (Photos) / Nigeria's Coronavirus Testing Up By 32% After Jack Ma's Donations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by peacefulhome(f): 9:12am On Mar 04, 2020
I disagree . Have seen someone who gave birth and the need for blood arises. Not one or two but five pants of blood. So in such cases what would have become of her?.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by SIRTee15: 9:13am On Mar 04, 2020
brainhgeek:

I asked a lab scientist this question too. He said the reason they sell donated blood is because it costs a lot to screen donated blood before certifying it healthy for transfusion. I however have my reservation still.
UCH ,Ibadan has one unbelievable act. They tell pregnant women to bring someone (preferably their husbands) to donate blood for them in advance but when there is safe delivery, the donated blood is gone (I have no problem with that), the part that irritates me is that in the event of the need for blood transfusion, the husband is made to still buy blood irrespective of previously donating or not. That to me is scam!

That's because the lab has to screen twice.....
When u donate for your wife, they have to screen u of infectious dxs like hepatitis, hiv, syphilis and also do your blood group....
I think they also make u pay for the blood bag....

Now if your wife needs blood transfusion....
They have to cross match her blood with the donor blood, just to be sure it's right for her....
That's what u pay for the 2nd time.....

I understand it could be unfair....but that's the situation....
It's not a scam or some racketeering...

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by SIRTee15: 9:19am On Mar 04, 2020
Lostz:
health workers are not victim. they sneak freely donated blood to private blood bank for sale.

the judge made the right decision. only in a shîthole will someone be forced to donate blood

It's a shithole because u guyz vote shithole leaders who lack creative mind or the capability to get things done effectively....

A serious govt can initiate a reward system for regular blood donors, thereby encouraging it's citizen to donate....
No... but u guys want hospitals to give out blood freely....

Hospitals in shithole countries will resort to practical ways to ensure running of the hospitals....
Deal with it....

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by stephnie44(f): 9:25am On Mar 04, 2020
delpee:
The problem is that there's shortage of blood in the blood bank. People in dire situations need to be given blood urgently but our society us not enlightened enough to understand that blood donation is healthy and a form of social responsibility/civic duty.

There must always be blood at hand for pregnant women who are due for delivery and surgical cases. Sometimes it's a life and death issue. I hope this will not lead to maternal deaths.
my dear the problem is that they collect d blood or d monetary cost but dey end up not using it on d patient ND at d end d money isn't refunded.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by anonimi: 9:25am On Mar 04, 2020
solmus:
i rebuke you from time to time , perhaps not with this account, grin your threat of insult is nothing new, even the horse tied to an empty seat is one of my numerous rebuttals and subtle jabs have given you in the past with ways you can use Legislative means to achieve ipob seccession, you can only throw links of image hosting sites about thread littering cyber space with your wailing and repeated images

I said rebut with facts.
I did not say rebuke from time to time.
You are obviously unable to do the rebuttal with facts.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 04, 2020
SIRTee15:

It's a shithole because u guyz vote shithole leaders who lack creative mind or the capability to get things done effectively....

A serious govt can initiate a reward system for regular blood donors, thereby encouraging it's citizen to donate....
No... but u guys want hospitals to give out blood freely....

Hospitals in shithole countries will resort to practical ways to ensure running of the hospitals....
Deal with it....
hospitals will still charge people who want to donate. some hospitals will still want a share of your reward before allowing you to donate.

advance countries are already minimizing the use of blood transfusion....it is no longer considered the best option
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by Vulcan24(m): 9:37am On Mar 04, 2020
noblealuu:

What do you say of a situation where someone's husband donates blood and still paid ₦7000. At the end of the day, the woman was delivered of her baby and never needed blood transfusion. Money was not refunded, and donated blood would have used for someone else. This happens in Island Maternity.

I don't think the intention is to donate blood for your relative use only
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by omoharry(f): 9:50am On Mar 04, 2020
delpee:
The problem is that there's shortage of blood in the blood bank. People in dire situations need to be given blood urgently but our society us not enlightened enough to understand that blood donation is healthy and a form of social responsibility/civic duty.

There must always be blood at hand for pregnant women who are due for delivery and surgical cases. Sometimes it's a life and death issue. I hope this will not lead to maternal deaths.
If I should donate my blood free of charge to hospitals, then why do they sell these free donated blood to patient that desperately needs it? why? This is why people stopped donating.
The govt and the hospitals are thieves.Until they start giving out donated blood without charging patient, then people will be willing to donate their blood for humanity.Our blood is not for sale.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by noblealuu: 9:51am On Mar 04, 2020
Shakes85:

They are going to group and cross match the blood you donated, they will screen the blood against hiv, hepatitis b and c and other infections and store it properly. You are paying 7000 naira for this services

And what happens after my blood is not used for the purpose? Will my money be refunded knowing the life span of blood in the refrigerator to be 35days when stored using the CPDA.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by noblealuu: 9:53am On Mar 04, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

It is an insurance, there are others who are very many who will definitely need it.
. Is the blood given to them for free? Mind you, I donated the blood, "paid" for the screening.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by ahogo: 9:58am On Mar 04, 2020
I am sure a victim of that useless law,because I could not drop a donation before my child birth,and unfortunately my wife went through CS,I had to drop four paths of blood after the whole process,see me calling siblings and friends to help me drop blood for my wife.it was not a funny issues.
Very good judgment I must say.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by babapressy(m): 10:01am On Mar 04, 2020
This is a good one. When my wife was pregnant, she registered in a government hospital, I donated blood and after extracting my blood ordinary milk and malt they can not even give me. I drove back to the office feelings dizzy, thank God I got to the office safely. My wife didn't give birth in that government hospital again because I have to transfer her to a private hospital because the government hospital procedures was stressing her.
So where is my blood?
someone in that same government hospital was dying and in need of blood for survival, they sold blood for the patient. something people gave you for free and your collecting money to give it out.
me I'm going back to collect my blood, because it's my legal, spiritual and biological property.

Nigerians killing Nigerians.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by noblealuu: 10:03am On Mar 04, 2020
ugodean8485:
This was exactly same thingi experienced when I had my first child in UBTH. My brother donated blood I also paid for blood. But after delivery I didn't require blood transfusion. My money wasn't refunded.

Those monetizing blood they never "created" for personal gains will pay dearly for it. Enough of all these sharp practices in the health sector.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by Shakes85: 10:06am On Mar 04, 2020
noblealuu:

And what happens after my blood is not used for the purpose? Will my money be refunded knowing the life span of blood in the refrigerator to be 35days when stored using the CPDA.
Your blood will be used for another person. The blood has served its precautionary purpose so why seeking for a refund.
If you don't want to pay for blood and it's services, hold your leaders and politicians responsible to give everyone a good health insurance scheme.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by fkj950ax(m): 10:15am On Mar 04, 2020
NoToPile:

How do you know a birth that wouldn't require donation when an uncomplicated delivery can turn complicated.

I don't know honestly.
But the compulsion is the issue.
People will voluntarily donate, but it has become a racket to make money off people at the General Hospitals, hence the compulsion.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by omoharry(f): 10:22am On Mar 04, 2020
munas:

The judge is a very foolish person.

I hope he will manufacture blood needed for transfusion when any of his family members is in dire need of blood transfusion.
I believe the Lagos state government appeals the judgement.
Stop selling blood you got for free..Give it out for free to poor & vulnerable people that needs it.This is because it was given to your hospital free of charge.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by omoharry(f): 10:29am On Mar 04, 2020
YeeboMuslim:

Where would the hospital get the money to pay the donors ?? Nigerians sha
cheesy
what about the money they use in selling the blood?it is only used for jamboree of what? why sell something you got for free..is that not greed and wickedness.The funny part is that if this poor patient don't have the money to buy this blood, they are left to die..meanwhile there are blood in the blood bank that were donated free of charge. May God have mercy or our wicked Govt and Doctors that continue to collect free blood but do not know to give it out for freely.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by drlaykay(m): 10:34am On Mar 04, 2020
Lostz:
blood that those hospitals sneak to private blood bank for sale?
the screening should be free if they want willing donors
All those are the little issues.The truth is that we have heard stories about the lab scientist sneaking out blood. And that still boils down to the general problem of Nigeria. CORRUPTION in every sector.

Secondly, if u are a willing donor, that is,u aren't donating for any particular patient but u just want to donate directly to the bank, you won't be charged for screening.

But the whole idea makes sense except for the few issues, hence the judge shouldn't have put an end to it.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by omoharry(f): 10:45am On Mar 04, 2020
SIRTee15:

U keep repeating the above statement like u are a soothsayer.....
9 months isn't enough to know who will need blood transfusion during labour....
Labour is a different ball game....ok
Stop spreading ignorance all over the place...

If u guys want free healthcare in govt hospitals.....
Hold your politicians responsible and demand they initiate health insurance or waivers....
Stop picking on healthcare workers who are also victim of the poor system.....

As for the judge....
She's just a joker and her ruling is only good as thrash....

Oga, as a medical practitioner, when have you heard that people are forced to donate their bloods for hospital blood bank. I am surprised you are even supporting this nonsense. Blood donation should be voluntary and not forced...it a humaniterian act and people should not be forced to do it..After blood donation then what next? people will one day be force to donate their kidney since they can use the second one for the rest of thier lives.
We blacks only copy dark things that are insulting to what the medical profession stands for. Una try ooo!! Na wetin them teach una for medical school?
So many Nigerian doctor study medicine not becos they are called to serve humanity but due to the prestige that comes with being a Doctor.Most of our doctors are devils and Angel of death.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by mzhannie(f): 10:58am On Mar 04, 2020
No ma'am General Hosp do not sell blood.. What they do is when one is in need for the blood they give it out if the blood type is available and the patient looks for someone to donate the blood back.. Only private blood banks sell blood because they pay the people that donate.
Joeboy88:
I donated blood for my sister during delivery.fortunately for us, she put to bed safely and they ended up not using the blood for her.My pain then was that I gave it as a free will donation but it's so painful that the hospital will end up selling the blood & if care isn't taken, it might be sold to someone that has to go borrowing to pay.Pls what is donated free should be give ad free to people in need of it.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by noblealuu: 11:05am On Mar 04, 2020
Shakes85:

Your blood will be used for another person. The blood has served its precautionary purpose so why seeking for a refund.
If you don't want to pay for blood and it's services, hold your leaders and politicians responsible to give everyone a good health insurance scheme.

And the another person gets it free right
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by mzhannie(f): 11:05am On Mar 04, 2020
Ma'am the 7k you paid is for the Lab scientist to screen the blood and to know if you are fit for the donation some have low PCV. Both yours and the patient. If they don't screen the blood means we would have lots of infected blood in the bank. Gen hosp do not sell blood they only give the blood out and the patient inturn look for someone to donate back only private blood banks sells blood because the pay people who donate.
Mopolchi:
It happened to me at General Hospital, Gbagada.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by mzhannie(f): 11:11am On Mar 04, 2020
If you donate in a govt owned blood bank the people in need collects it's free and in return look for someone to donate it back the only money they pay is for grouping and crossmatching, but if you donate in a private blood bank please collect your money cos they will sell.
gaskiyamagana:

Hello, if we donate freely, is it going to be given free or with little charge? I only ask d question I know it is still d same whether you buy or donate. That is d only reason people are care free. You collect freely and you sold it at #10 000!
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by Mopolchi: 11:15am On Mar 04, 2020
I donated blood and paid 7000 and no blood was given to the donee on the delivery day and after. 100% certain of the experience.
mzhannie:
Ma'am the 7k you paid is for the Lab scientist to screen the blood and to know if you are fit for the donation some have low PCV. Both yours and the patient. If they don't screen the blood means we would have lots of infected blood in the bank. Gen hosp do not sell blood they only give the blood out and the patient inturn look for someone to donate back only private blood banks sells blood because the pay people who donate.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by peacefulhome(f): 11:27am On Mar 04, 2020
mzhannie:
No ma'am General Hosp do not sell blood.. What they do is when one is in need for the blood they give it out if the blood type is available and the patient looks for someone to donate the blood back.. Only private blood banks sell blood because they pay the people that donate.

I do not agree with this. I paid for three pints of blood (30,000)and still paid 14,000 for screening . When it was time for the blood to be made available , they could only provide one. My husband got mad and demanded for the blood or else, at the end I was given two pants of blood. So let assume I actually needed three pints of blood what would have become of me?
See eh! This country is corrupt, it only God that can restore it.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by peacefulhome(f): 11:32am On Mar 04, 2020
Mopolchi:
I donated blood and paid 7000 and no blood was given to the donee on the delivery day and after. 100% certain of the experience.

Modify
@mzhannie am to quote you and not Mopolchi .

I put it to you that they sale blood. I was given an option to either bring three donors or I pay for the required blood. I later paid. So tell me where did they get the blood they sold to me? If they do not sale blood, they I should have just pay for screening and nothing more.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by mzhannie(f): 11:32am On Mar 04, 2020
It wasn't given because there wasn't need for it and like I said the 7k you paid was for grouping and crossmatching. To know if your blood level is within range for you to donate and to be sure it's free from all transmissable infections. Since she didn't use the blood it can't be given back cos it's of no use to you. They give to someone in dire need of it and person looks for another donor to replace so the blood bank won't be empty. If you are to buy blood in a private owned lab it's nothing less than 22k
Mopolchi:
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by Shakes85: 11:45am On Mar 04, 2020
noblealuu:

And the another person gets it free right
My brother with the kind of corrupt system we have anything can happen from this point.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by mzhannie(f): 11:46am On Mar 04, 2020
Then you have every right to create a scene for this. No scientist in a govt hosp has any right to ask you to buy blood. If it's legal you will pay the money to the cashier but
I bet they collected cash from you from the lab cos it's illegal. Next time blood is not sold in govt jospquote author=peacefulhome post=87156281]

I put it to you that they sale blood. I was given an option to either bring three donors or I pay for the required blood. I later paid. So tell me where did they get the blood they sold to me? If they do not sale blood, they I should have just pay for screening and nothing more.[/quote]
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by muyinet: 11:51am On Mar 04, 2020
munas:

The 7,000 you paid is for blood screening and cross matching.

Nobody sold your blood. your blood was simply used for another person that was in need of blood and the person will also replace the blood before leaving the hospital.

I have donated twice...on both occasions, we never have a need for blood...i have no objection though, but why should I pay 7,000 for screening a blood i gave freely?
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by peacefulhome(f): 11:52am On Mar 04, 2020
mzhannie:
Then you have every right to create a scene for this. No scientist in a govt hosp has any right to ask you to buy blood. If it's legal you will pay the money to the cashier but
I bet they collected cash from you from the lab cos it's illegal. Next time blood is not sold in govt jospquote author=peacefulhome post=87156281]

I put it to you that they sale blood. I was given an option to either bring three donors or I pay for the required blood. I later paid. So tell me where did they get the blood they sold to me? If they do not sale blood, they I should have just pay for screening and nothing more.

Well I will keep this infor for future purpose. Mine was surgery anyways. Thanks for the information, we learn every day.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Age, Menopause Can No Longer Stop Women From Having Babies —IVF Expert / Why Are Nigerians Not Interested In Keeping Fit? / 10 Surprising Things You May Be Addicted To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.