Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth (22813 Views)

Caesarean Section For Childbirth / How NCDC Distributed Jack Ma's Donations Nationwide (Photos) / Nigeria's Coronavirus Testing Up By 32% After Jack Ma's Donations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by May1st: 10:25pm On Mar 04, 2020
noblealuu:

What do you say of a situation where someone's husband donates blood and still paid ₦7000. At the end of the day, the woman was delivered of her baby and never needed blood transfusion. Money was not refunded, and donated blood would have used for someone else. This happens in Island Maternity.

Happened to me in Ifako Ijaye Gen Hospital too. Donated blood when my wife was on antenatal. Even after CS, she didn't need the blood. Tell me they won't sell my blood which was forcefully taken from me. I hate this country
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by newoffer: 10:48pm On Mar 04, 2020
Lagos State and it's way of extorting people. I no get any blood to.donate. I paid 14k for two pint of blood and none was used.

Na so nurse dem too dey try sell some drugs they hoard from past patients. Abeggi...
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by newoffer: 10:56pm On Mar 04, 2020
SeunStats:
Donate blood monthly? Weldone. You don't know d trauma of having too much of blood... I pray u won't! i went 4 d checkup last yr decemba and d doc told me i nid to donate monthly 4 d next three month...for this month, i'm donating today at Gbagada General Hospital!
. Because of the game they play with people's blood. I no.go donate any. Why collect my blood then sell it and u don't give some free service to people
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by ImaIma1(f): 11:08am On Mar 05, 2020
delpee:
The problem is that there's shortage of blood in the blood bank. People in dire situations need to be given blood urgently but our society us not enlightened enough to understand that blood donation is healthy and a form of social responsibility/civic duty.

There must always be blood at hand for pregnant women who are due for delivery and surgical cases. Sometimes it's a life and death issue. I hope this will not lead to maternal deaths.

Regardless, it should not be forced on people. It should be voluntary. I have donated blood voluntarily before. They shouldn't deprive a pregnant woman from registering for antenatal because she doesn't have anyone to donate blood. Very wrong
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by ImaIma1(f): 11:16am On Mar 05, 2020
Mopolchi:
It happened to me at General Hospital, Gbagada.

Quite notorious. Someone I know was refused registering for antenatal because she didn't have someone to donate blood

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by munas: 10:38am On Mar 06, 2020
Helada:

Waoh.... For screening and cross matching....7000...
Can you prove that nobody sold the blood....Simply used for another free of charge??

Lagos state government hospitals does not sell blood.

When you use blood,you only pay for screening and you replace the blood when you are to be discharged by bringing a relative that will donate back what you used.

No body needs your money,what they need is blood to save mothers and children
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by munas: 10:41am On Mar 06, 2020
muyinet:

I have donated twice...on both occasions, we never have a need for blood...i have no objection though, but why should I pay 7,000 for screening a blood i gave freely?

Screening the blood at blood bank headquarters is not free,it is to make it safe for use either for you or for the next user.

You are saying this because you actually did not make use of the blood. What if you needed blood and it was non-where to be found and your life is at stake,will you be talking about 7,000?

Well it is generally known that African do not care about their health,they leave things in the hand of God and go to party
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by munas: 10:44am On Mar 06, 2020
newoffer:
Lagos State and it's way of extorting people. I no get any blood to.donate. I paid 14k for two pint of blood and none was used.

Na so nurse dem too dey try sell some drugs they hoard from past patients. Abeggi...

You where scammed. The policy is bring blood and not money.

You probably think money can save you,that is why you went for the money option,normally you can bring a relative to donate or pay some miscreants/ professional donors around to donate for you
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by munas: 10:45am On Mar 06, 2020
frozen70:

For a woman during delivery to need six pints of blood shows that she wasn't even alive

Your ignorance stinks to high heavens
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by munas: 10:45am On Mar 06, 2020
frozen70:

Senseless statement

You git no brains
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by wirinet(m): 12:12pm On Mar 06, 2020
munas:

When you use blood,you only pay for screening and you replace the blood when you are to be discharged by bringing a relative that will donate back what you used.

So you mean to tell us that Lagos State Government does not have personnel and equipment to screen ordinary blood? So what are they using the huge taxes they collect from residences and the huge IGR to do?
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by wirinet(m): 12:21pm On Mar 06, 2020
Scholar212:
Foolish decsiosn from someone without the technical know how.. Nigerians don't donate blood and when it is needed for delivery or post delivery issues it becomes life threatening and the blood bank may not have any in store to give even with your money. Those saying they sell the blood, the cost of screening, blood bag, storage is more than what you pay for blood. For places that use PCR to screen like NBTS it is even more than 50k to screen with PCR but patients pay like 7k for the blood, highly subsidized. The major source of blood in Nigeria is replacement donation from patient relative. Hospitals don't manufacture blood, when people don't donate the price will skyrocket. With your money you won't see the blood

Maybe patients should be charged for card, consultancy, doctors and nurses fees, bedspaces, etc also.
You talk as if Lagos State residents don't pay taxes. You talk as if government is a private organisation and not public service.
If I can freely donate my own blood to save a life, it is immoral for a state government to collect money to screen the same blood. Afterall, I did not collect money for food to make the blood.
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by Helada(f): 12:54pm On Mar 06, 2020
munas:

Mtchew
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by delpee(f): 12:49pm On Mar 13, 2020
GoodMuyis:

Maybe if blood donors are given free NHIS pass after certain level will encourage this.

UK awards for 50, 25 and 100 donations

Ruby award from the Singapore Red Cross for 75 voluntary donations

Good idea!
Re: Court Stops Lagos Public Hospitals From Demanding Blood Donations For Childbirth by enemyofprogress: 7:08pm On May 19, 2020
Bunch of ritualists.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Age, Menopause Can No Longer Stop Women From Having Babies —IVF Expert / 2 Year Old Indian Girl Born With Four Legs And Four Hands / What Tips Do You Have To A Flatter Tummy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.