Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? (2558 Views)

Is It Compulsory For A Lady To Know How To Cook Before Marriage? / Is It Compulsory For The Man To Pay The Bills??? / Is It Compulsory For A Woman To Be A Good Cook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by sweetmelanin(f): 10:19pm On Mar 04, 2020
In Nigeria, we all know there is a strictly adhered to tradition of holding a naming ceremony seven days after the birth of a child.

However, for those of us abroad, this strict rule of '7 days' may not necessarily be most convenient especially due to the lifestyle and schedule of most of us here. So my question to fellow Nigerians abroad, when you had your child (or if you're an expectant parent) which of the following options did you/would you go for and why:

1. Stick with the traditional way of doing the naming ceremony exactly 7 days after the birth either in your house or an event hall, irrespective of what day of the week this falls under and how this affects guest attendance.

2. No naming ceremony at all - just name the child and announce it to your friends and family through post, digitally or social media.

3. No 'traditional' naming ceremony per say, but throw a party at a later date to celebrate the arrival of your newborn on a day that suits you and your guests the best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by nlPoster: 10:37pm On Mar 04, 2020
Why do you ask?

In Nigeria, it varies according to culture or individual preference.

I wouldn't worry about it .

1 Like

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by KennieKingOba(m): 12:26am On Mar 05, 2020
doing it as per culture goes a long way!!
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by babythug(f): 8:33am On Mar 05, 2020
More and more people tilt towards what works best for their individual circumstances in these scenarios!

Some traditions name their child on the seventh day irrespective of what day of the week and entertain their guests moderately or elaborately as they wish.

In Nigeria the day of the week doesn’t deter the turn out of guests but I guess it may be different abroad. You can name the child in the seventh day with clergy or a few people present and then have a celebratory party when is convenient for you! Maybe when you take the child to church (should your be Christians) or so!
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by databoy247(m): 8:48am On Mar 05, 2020
You can name your child the moment he/she is born. I have come to understand that most things we do (without even understanding why we do them) does not attract a death sentence if we do not do them.

I had a ugly experience during our baby's dedication which I was thoroughly against. Now, my wife agrees with me that if we hadn't done the dedication, NOTHING would have happened. Life would have moved on

We just ended up wasting good money.

7 Likes

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by Kendumazy(m): 10:03am On Mar 05, 2020
Learning
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by frozen70(f): 12:01pm On Mar 05, 2020
Get a priest and family members

Pray over the child and name the child, it can be done in your house or the hospital as the case may be

2 Likes

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by ahnie: 1:09pm On Mar 05, 2020

1 Like

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by Ulunne777(f): 3:03pm On Mar 05, 2020
Didn't do for any for my children. They are named as soon as their father carries them.

Eeven the church called and I said it isn't our tradition.
Just dedication at 3 or 4 mths
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by Lepetitechic(f): 3:06pm On Mar 05, 2020
I’ll say do whatever works best for you. I’m 26 and at the time I was born, my father prayed over my name and named me at the hospital as he did with my siblings too. This was the 90s and it was unusual but it’s your child and no can can really tell you how best to raise them. My husband and I had to do the 7 days naming as he is from a more traditional family than I am but it was basically family, music, food and prayers. It was about 2hrs, our families didn’t want the whole baby moving from hand to hand thing as she hadn’t gotten her shot at the time so it was done quickly. Some of these traditions are just things we met on earth, we weren’t born with them. So, whatever you feel is is most convenient for you and yours, do it.

1 Like

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by GboyegaD(m): 3:56pm On Mar 05, 2020
They have their new before they are born since there is a name the babies are registered with upon delivery. If you choose to redo the ceremony, it is good; if otherwise, no crime is committed.
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by ezugegere(m): 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2020
I never did naming ceremony for any of my kids. As Catholics, they were named at their baptism
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by YngDenzel1: 9:14pm On May 22, 2020
If there is one thing my dad got right, i will say it's this!

For our house, we don't do anything like parties(birthday, dedication, naming ceremony, marriage ceremony) especially the ones that are not necessary, we grew with it and it made more sense as we grow older.

Don't stress yourself my dear. The anyone u fit do

Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by Bola146(f): 9:23pm On May 22, 2020
Myself, my husband and a pastor with 6 people from our relatives or friends are okay for the naming ceremony
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2020
Na
Re: Naming Ceremony: Is It Compulsory? by tobechi74: 7:54pm On Nov 23, 2020
Nothing is compulsory in this life. Marriage self is not compulsory.

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows Better,the Mother Or The Wife / He Married Me For Papers / How Important Is Age Difference In A Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.