Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,168 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year (4662 Views)

2013 Glo-CAF Awards / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 / Eto'o Is Truly A Nigerian! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Donmeca(m): 10:11am On Dec 21, 2010
Glo-CAF Awards: Eto'o is African Footballer of the Year •As Perpetua wins Women's Footballer of the Year

Written by Dimeji Ojo,with Agency Report Tuesday, 21 December 2010

CAMEROUNIAN striker,Samuel Eto'o Fils of Inter Milan of Italy has emerged as the Glo- CAF African Footballer of the Year for a record fourth time by edging out Asamoah Gyan of Ghana and Didier Drogba of Cote d'Ivoire who was ruled out due to his absence at a glittering ceremony held in Cairo,Egypt on Monday night.

Votes from the respective senior national teams' Head Coaches or Technical Directors of the 53 National Associations affiliated to CAF decided that the prolific striker was the most deserving of the trio.

Nigeria's Perpetua Nkwocha won the female version of the award by beating other nominees who are also her teammates in the Falcons, Stella Mbachu and Ebere Orji to the award.

The award for the Women's National Team of the Year was also won by the Nigeria's senior women side,Falcons.

Nigeria won in the Presidential award category along with six other countries,namely; Algeria, Cameroun, Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt, Ghana and South Africa.

Other winners of the Glo-CAF awards are Ahmed Hassan (Al Ahly and Egypt) who won the Best African Based player award, Black Stars of Ghana won the Best National Team of the Year, The Club of the Year award went to TP Mazembe of DR Congo, Milovan Rajevac (ex Ghana coach) won the Coach of the Year award and Kwadso Asamoah (Ghana) won the Most Promising Talent of the Year award.

CAF also announced the African best XI for 2010 and they are: Didier Drogba (Cote d'Ivoire), Wael Gomaa (Egypt), Madjid Bougherra (Algeria), Taye Taiwo (Nigeria), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Kevin-Prince Boateng (Ghana), Ahmed Hassan (Egypt), Ahmed El Mohamady (Egypt), Andre Ayew (Ghana), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroun) and Vincent Enyeama (Nigeria).

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/15049-glo-caf-awards-etoo-is-african-footballer-of-the-year-as-perpetua-wins-womens-footballer-of-the-year
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Donmeca(m): 10:13am On Dec 21, 2010
I knew Eto'o wud win this. . . good for him. Nkwocha undoubtedly is the queen of African football.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by otukpo(f): 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2010
congrats to him.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Mobinga: 12:35pm On Dec 21, 2010
No Nigerian? >_>
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by justwise(m): 12:41pm On Dec 21, 2010
Mobinga:

No Nigerian? >_>
Yes cos non is doing well consistently at the moment
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Mobinga: 12:46pm On Dec 21, 2010
justwise:

Yes cos non is doing well consistently at the moment
angry
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by rashylous(m): 1:04pm On Dec 21, 2010
maybe we should just give our WOMEN the chance to anchor the affairs of this country, abi the whole paparazzi is now, what Nigerian WOMEN can do im not sure Nigerian MEN can do better, imagine Nigerian male players name missing in common GLO CAF awards for the past decade now.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Donmeca(m): 1:14pm On Dec 21, 2010
Mobinga:

No Nigerian? >_>

At the moment?. . .of course there can be NO Nigerian. I wouldn't even vote for any of them as far as 2010 is concerned.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by sayso: 1:14pm On Dec 21, 2010
does this prove BBC award wrong.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Donmeca(m): 1:19pm On Dec 21, 2010
sayso:

does this prove BBC award wrong.

Is BBC for Africans everywhere? tot it was for those in d premiership. undecided
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by dipo2much(m): 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2010
well deservedly. If Cameroun had done better had the WC, Eto would be a good candidate for WFOTY
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Boyan: 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2010
I believe there are some doubts in the selection process, CAF should tell us the modalties for choosing Eto as the winner. For Naija players, this is a lesson for them
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by shopisky(m): 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2010
did any Nigerian win any award at all?
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Donmeca(m): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
shopisky:

did any Nigerian win any award at all?

Yes! Nkwocha is a Nigerian and she is the African Female Footballer of the year. As for d male, sorry is their game. . .they don't even deserve Nigerian Footballer of d year. grin. . .I guess a foreigner shud win that also.

Boyan:

I believe there are some doubts in the selection process, CAF should tell us the modalties for choosing Eto as the winner. For Naija players, this is a lesson for them

Who in d continent was better than Eto'o in the passing year?
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by ladej(m): 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2010
Donmeca:

Yes! Nkwocha is a Nigerian and she is the African Female Footballer of the year. As for d male, sorry is their game. . .they don't even deserve Nigerian Footballer of d year. grin. . .I guess a foreigner shud win that also.

Who in d continent was better than Eto'o in the passing year?
smart and accurate answers. eto won the champions league folks, beating barcelona along the way.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by namdo(m): 2:29pm On Dec 21, 2010
i agree that Eto is a fair choice. Congrats to Nkwocha. At least we no come last but these chicken eagles need to wake up. I hope Siasia would facilitate the recovery of SE team. cool cheesy
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by dayokanu(m): 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2010
Why not Kaita or yakubu
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by okito: 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2010
GYAN has been the most outstanding African player this year. I dont think Etoo was a fair choice, the hand of Issa Hayatou again.

Gyan was better than Etoo in CAN 2010 leading his young and inexperienced side all the way to the final before narrowly losing to the Egyptians. He even scored the goal that sent our own Eagles packing.

At the World cup, he yet again outshone Etoo. He was so good that his goals took his team to the quarter finals, though his penalty miss also saw them missing out on a chance to play in the semis; a feat which would have been an unprecedented one by any African side.

The young man moved to Sunderland in the summer and already he s setting the premiership on fire with his goals.

As an ardent Super Eagles fan, i have nt forgiven Gyan for scoring against us in the Nations' Cup semi final match(lol) but as a supporter of football, i submit that GYAN and not Etoo deserved to be named King of African football 2010.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2010
^^DID YOU JUST SAY GYAN  kiss kiss OMG! I LOVE GYAN BUT. . .

Congrats to Eto'o and "big up" Cameroon! He is more than deserving of it!
Not to mention he is my husband. . .he just wants to keep it a secret grin
But seriously I am happy for Eto'o ever since he decided to continue in Spain
after being racially taunted, he was definitely added to my list of heroes.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by justhustle: 3:43pm On Dec 21, 2010
@okito

sorry pal,i fink u got ur analysis all wrong,
Eto'o thoroughly deserves the award.
last season he was miles ahead of every african footballer in Europe.He won the italian league,the italian cup,the champions league,the italian super cup and just days back the world club cup,and he is been terific for inter milan so far this season,currently the champions league top scorer with 7 goals and second top scorer in seria A with 9 goals.
common what else can you ask for.
if i may ask,how many goals did gyan score last season?
yes, he did well with the ghananian national team,but how many of those 4 or 5 goals he scored were not penalties?
lets stop player hating and celebrate the true AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR-SAMUEL ETO'O
he is really a shinning light for africans all over the world.just wish he was Nigerian though, I tire for our football o!
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Jarus(m): 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2010
Well deserved. He should have been winning it every year since 2003, if not for injury.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Faun(m): 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
I wonder when Yakubu would win this 'African Footballer Of The Year Award.'
Well, maybe in 2094.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Jarus(m): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
okito:

GYAN has been the most outstanding African player this year. I dont think Etoo was a fair choice, the hand of Issa Hayatou again.

Gyan was better than Etoo in CAN 2010 leading his young and inexperienced side all the way to the final before narrowly losing to the Egyptians. He even scored the goal that sent our own Eagles packing.

At the World cup, he yet again outshone Etoo. He was so good that his goals took his team to the quarter finals, though his penalty miss also saw them missing out on a chance to play in the semis; a feat which would have been an unprecedented one by any African side.

The young man moved to Sunderland in the summer and already he s setting the premiership on fire with his goals.

As an ardent Super Eagles fan, i have nt forgiven Gyan for scoring against us in the Nations' Cup semi final match(lol) but as a supporter of football, i submit that GYAN and not Etoo deserved to be named King of African football 2010.
This analysis is sickening! How dare anyone compare Gyan with Eto'o in 2010?
A single goal from open field, two converted penalties, and a penalty loss that denied Africa history, 11 or 12 goals in backwater Ligue 1 and paltry five or six goals in EPL and someone is celebrating Gyan.

See Eto'o: 2009/2010 season, 16 goals; current season, 19 goals already, season yet to reach half; reigning highest goal scorer in both UCL and Serie A; won UCL and League title with Inter; even with his disappointing show in ANC & WC 2010, he still scored 2 goals each, just one behind Gyan's 3.

Even Drogba should have come 2nd ahead of Gyan.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2010
CAF should have just nominated Eto 'o alone.
Nobody even came close to him.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Meldrick(m): 4:23pm On Dec 21, 2010
Faun:

I wonder when Yakubu would win this 'African Footballer Of The Year Award.'
Well, maybe in 2094.

hehehehe grin

Yakubu. Maybe in 2058.
But for now he can only win CAF BEST JUBILANT OF THE YEAR. He is very good in jubilating and celebrating goals.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by shiningzin(m): 4:25pm On Dec 21, 2010
eto lives a very decent life off the pitch,i guess thats one of the reasons he just cant stop shining.no african comes close to dis dude for now.where naija players dey sef?we used to be d best
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by cruworld(m): 4:45pm On Dec 21, 2010
CAF best XI, I no fit Laugh OOOOOOO
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Becomrich12: 4:53pm On Dec 21, 2010
I disagree with the decision, Asamoah Gyan of Ghana is the Africa footballer of 2010 in my book. Congratulation Asamoah Gyan of Ghana for been Becomrich africa football 2010.

Asamoah Gyan of Ghana out perform Eto. I think they should change the way they nominate this people. I think Eto should be a gentle man and hand over the award to Asamoah Gyan of Ghana . If I was Eto, that is what I would do.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by IFELEKE(m): 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
Becomrich?:

I disagree with the decision, Asamoah Gyan of Ghana is the Africa footballer of 2010 in my book. Congratulation Asamoah Gyan of Ghana for been Becomrich africa football 2010.

Asamoah Gyan of Ghana out perform Eto. I think they should change the way they nominate this people. I think Eto should be a gentle man and hand over the award to Asamoah Gyan of Ghana . If I was Eto, that is what I would do.
well,you are not. . .end of story.
@topic,
Eto'o Fils sure deserves it,he is the best no doubt.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by sley4life(m): 5:17pm On Dec 21, 2010
Eto'o deserves it
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 21, 2010
Eto, u deserve it, u are they best not only in Africa but the world as well. congrate
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by justhustle: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2010
@becomrich

ur view is terribly flawed,u dont know shit about football.
eto'o and gyan? what is the basis for comparison?
common man, eto'o 100% deserves what he got.he is the the best african player at the moment and that is what the caf award is all about.
lets embrace this dude and celebrate him-he is one of the last of the dying breed of true African footballers.
four time african footballer of the year-the highest by any african ever!

i am honored to have been a part of this generation that have seen some of the finest players who has ever played the game come through-and eto'o is up there.
i rest my case bro,ETO'O ALL THE WAY.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Name Super Eagles First Eleven / Bet9ja Shop Bet Agent Only!!! / Nigeria Defeats Niger 7-0 In WAFU U20 Women's Championship.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.