Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,335 members, 7,815,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year (4659 Views)

2013 Glo-CAF Awards / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 / Eto'o Is Truly A Nigerian! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by jambya(m): 5:59pm On Dec 21, 2010
A well deserved award, congratz Samuel Eto'ofil!
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by medjai(m): 6:47pm On Dec 21, 2010
okito:

GYAN has been the most outstanding African player this year. I dont think Etoo was a fair choice, the hand of Issa Hayatou again.

Gyan was better than Etoo in CAN 2010 leading his young and inexperienced side all the way to the final before narrowly losing to the Egyptians. He even scored the goal that sent our own Eagles packing.

At the World cup, he yet again outshone Etoo. He was so good that his goals took his team to the quarter finals, though his penalty miss also saw them missing out on a chance to play in the semis; a feat which would have been an unprecedented one by any African side.

The young man moved to Sunderland in the summer and already he s setting the premiership on fire with his goals.

As an ardent Super Eagles fan, i have nt forgiven Gyan for scoring against us in the Nations' Cup semi final match(lol) but as a supporter of football, i submit that GYAN and not Etoo deserved to be named King of African football 2010.
Gyan doesn't even deserve to be in the running. Was there anything exceptional about Gyan's performance in the year under review? How many goals did he score for Rennes? How many goals did he score at the Nations Cup in Angola?
At the world cup, he scored two penalties and one goal and of course, he ballooned the chance to put Ghana's name in the history books of African football.
Is it with these average performances that he deserves to win the African Player of the Year?
In my opinion, Drogba had the best individual performance in the year under review. He played a very vital role in Chelsea's league and cup win. He was only second to Messi as highest goal scorer in all of Europe with 29 goals. He scored 37 goals in all competitions. He also scored a goal at the world cup despite playing through pains.
Yes, Eto'o won the treble but in my opinion, he wasn't so fantastic. He scored 18 goals in all competitions which is a poor return for someone like Eto'o
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 8:23pm On Dec 21, 2010
Congrats to him!!!

He really deserved it!
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Donmeca(m): 9:14pm On Dec 21, 2010
Eto' has been very consistent as a player ever since he was discovered.

medjai:

Gyan doesn't even deserve to be in the running. Was there anything exceptional about Gyan's performance in the year under review? How many goals did he score for Rennes? How many goals did he score at the Nations Cup in Angola?
At the world cup, he scored two penalties and one goal and of course, he ballooned the chance to put Ghana's name in the history books of African football.
Is it with these average performances that he deserves to win the African Player of the Year?
In my opinion, Drogba had the best individual performance in the year under review. He played a very vital role in Chelsea's league and cup win. He was only second to Messi as highest goal scorer in all of Europe with 29 goals. He scored 37 goals in all competitions. He also scored a goal at the world cup despite playing through pains.
Yes, Eto'o won the treble but in my opinion, he wasn't so fantastic. He scored 18 goals in all competitions which is a poor return for someone like Eto'o

U and many others countering Okito have said my mind. . . Caf can't be faulted on d choice of Eto'o at all
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by juman(m): 9:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
jam_bya:

A well deserved award, congratz Samuel Eto'ofil!

Congrats Samuel Eto'o.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by MeGaStReEt: 10:10pm On Dec 21, 2010
Asamoah Gyan - King Samuel Eto'o Fils

you guys must be joking
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by chic2pimp(m): 10:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
medjai:

Diego Milito was Inter's Main Striker(No 9) last season while Eto'o was used a wingforward.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by HamidO1(m): 11:24pm On Dec 21, 2010
Eto is the man, leaving Barca and still keeping up the consistent performance that has become the hallmark of his career makes him the best. He did well in the Nations cup, don't forget one tree can't make a forest. Been nominated alongside big names like Eto and Drogba is enough honour for Gyan
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by newmi(m): 12:15am On Dec 22, 2010
Congratulation Eto, what a LEGENDARY story you have become. You have represented the African continent proudly on a consistent basis per performances so you deserve it. KUDOS
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by newmi(m): 12:18am On Dec 22, 2010
Asamoah GYan should be patient he is on track with many playing years ahead of him. All he needs just like Eto'o is consistency in his top flight performances both at the national level and at the club level. Congrat Asamoah
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by kcjazz(m): 2:29am On Dec 22, 2010
I respect Samuel Eto'o for his strong and persistent work ethic, he deserves his record breaking award. I wish other African athletes could learn from him. Congrats to him.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Okukk(m): 5:27am On Dec 22, 2010
Becomrich?:

I disagree with the decision, Asamoah Gyan of Ghana  is the Africa footballer of 2010 in my book. Congratulation Asamoah Gyan of Ghana for been Becomrich africa football 2010.   

Asamoah Gyan of Ghana out perform Eto.  I think they should change the way they nominate this people. I think Eto should be a gentle man and hand over the award to Asamoah Gyan of Ghana . If I was Eto, that is what I would do.
Eto will do just that in your own book. I wonder why you are rooting for Gyan?
Maybe you can educate me more, but until then Eto remain african pride for the nxt one year!
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Okukk(m): 5:28am On Dec 22, 2010
Becomrich?:

I disagree with the decision, Asamoah Gyan of Ghana  is the Africa footballer of 2010 in my book. Congratulation Asamoah Gyan of Ghana for been Becomrich africa football 2010.   

Asamoah Gyan of Ghana out perform Eto.  I think they should change the way they nominate this people. I think Eto should be a gentle man and hand over the award to Asamoah Gyan of Ghana . If I was Eto, that is what I would do.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by favouredjb(f): 8:03am On Dec 22, 2010
eto deserves it and more,i love that man so much wink
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by hollars(m): 9:20am On Dec 22, 2010
favouredjb:

eto deserves it and more,i love that man so much wink

hmmm!!! lots of ladies does, the guy spends with reckless abandon, lol
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by jokingmary(m): 9:58am On Dec 22, 2010
Good for him
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by kemisuga(f): 10:21am On Dec 22, 2010
Happy for him
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by otokx(m): 11:11am On Dec 22, 2010
Eto deserves it; big UPs to him.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by kliffo(m): 11:30am On Dec 22, 2010
Eto o deserves the award. Period.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by mrofficial(m): 11:56am On Dec 22, 2010
They should keep giving the award to Eto, making it look like shit award. In fact, let it get 100, only Eto. mchewww!
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Dsense(m): 1:06pm On Dec 22, 2010
I was the first Nairalander to post this news . . . . . . .Pple stole it from me cry
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Shoolar(m): 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2010
If dat mumu no lose penelty in semi stage against uruguay for 2010 world cup. I sure say na e go get dis award coz d guy perform well dis season 4 EPL.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by mystikal(m): 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2010
Its a no Brainer. Eto had 2 win this
Gyan should get an award 4 his dancing
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Dsense(m): 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^ grin grin
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by yoji: 10:36pm On Dec 22, 2010
Gyan's nomination is purely a sentimental one. Missing that penalty alone is enuff to wreck a european or south american but d standards in africa are pretty low so we console ourselves in underachievement.
Stop usin world cup cos statistically, eto had a better world cup. He scored 2goals in three games(I.e 66%) while gyan scored 3 in 5(60%). Gyan just had a better team period.
Thank God caf got it right- how can BBC give it to a player who missed a golden opportunity to make african history. He should be FINED!
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by pkasso(m): 12:19pm On Dec 23, 2010
No surprise,Eto'o is crowned king of african football again.No Nigerian nominated in the male category embarassed
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by tunde247: 9:18am On Dec 25, 2010
nice one
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by sirp2007: 7:03pm On Dec 26, 2010
its a pity Gyan could be compared 2 King Samuel Eto Fils d 'ototal'of Africa football.jus like some were comparing Rooney with Messi, in due season we shall knw if gyan is even an average player.
Eto carry go, wht u did in spain u re replicating in ltaly, a true great U re
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 27, 2010
if only eto'o was a brazilian. He would have won like two world players of the year. He is top 3 greatest goal poachers d game has seen this decade. 4get messi, dis guy is d man.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Jarus(m): 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2010
Darthmaul:

if only eto'o was a brazilian. He would have won like two world players of the year. He is top 3 greatest goal poachers d game has seen this decade. 4get messi, dis guy is d man.
100% spot on, for the bolded. The only consistent striker since 2002. His peers in the business of goal-poaching at the time(Henry, RVN, Shevchenko) are now off-limelight.
But for the unbolded, hmmmnnnn, let's not stretch it too far. Messi cannot be dismissed with a wave of hand under any circumstance.
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by otumfour(m): 9:35am On Dec 29, 2010
its all good, Gyan will rise
Re: Glo-caf Awards: Eto'o Is African Footballer Of The Year by Nobody: 10:36pm On Dec 30, 2010
@jarus, i know messi cannot be waved off just like dat,but i jst needed to bash him a little. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Name Super Eagles First Eleven / Photos: 27years Old Nigerian-england Born Body Builder / Where Can I Get Flippers, Goggles, Trunks And Other Swimming Gear In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.