Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment (7313 Views)

Obasanjo And Akpabio Discussing At Timi Alaibe's Daughter's Wedding (Video) / Jonathan And Obasanjo Snub Akpabio At Timi Alaibe's Daughter's Wedding (Photo) / Obasanjo, Patience & Goodluck Jonathan At The Wedding Of Timi Alaibe's Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by ejimatic: 2:47pm On Mar 08, 2020
Afamed:

The lead justice in Bayelsa that nullified Lyon election, Justice Odili, a known wife of PDP ex PDP Gov in Rivers State.

If such person with similar closeness to any Apc members had been selected to head and give a verdict , only God knows how many organisations in the world, PDP would have copied.
Make una stop all this Petty and disgraceful act
Nigeria is a sovereign state, enough of this childish attitude of PDP
. The party constitution determines the selection of a flagbearer.When this is not followed with manipulation of the SWE and NWC litigation results. Marafa vts APC Bayelsa supra
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by engineerboat(m): 5:11pm On Mar 08, 2020
fergie001:

1. The issue isn't statute-barred. It was filed Sept 13, hence March 13 will make it 180 days.

2. On jurisdiction, it was first filed in Yenagoa....Alaibe asked for the case to be moved elsewhere. It went to Owerri. Alaibe also pleaded that he wasn't confident of Judge.
The CJN obliged him, and it was moved to FHC, Abuja, though the PDP didn't like it for obvious reasons.

3. He has a right to file as a candidate of that election but cases that depend on delegates list and intra-party elections are not easy to adjudicate especially when the SWC and NWC are in tandem.

It really does depend on their lawyers.

Unless I don't understand his case, the delegates list he is complaining about, is in order.

But what is surprising is that the delegates list was given to him before the primary and he said nothing about it.

Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by engineerboat(m): 5:12pm On Mar 08, 2020
Afamed:

You see una life.

When court makes pronouncement and it suits una narratives, the courts are working.

Immediately , there is an opposite pronouncement , which doesn't go well with PDP, judiciary goes on trial.

You're mentioned to make meaningful contribution but hell no.

Showing tantrums about
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 5:19pm On Mar 08, 2020
engineerboat:

But what is surprising is that the delegates list was given to him before the primary and he said nothing about it.
That is my worry.....I have seen this list.

I don't know that he is complaining of.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 5:20pm On Mar 08, 2020
ejimatic:
. The party constitution determines the selection of a flagbearer.When this is not followed with manipulation of the SWE and NWC litigation results. Marafa vts APC Bayelsa supra
Thank you ejimatic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by ejimatic: 7:47pm On Mar 08, 2020
fergie001:
Thank you ejimatic.
. Yes sir
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by engineerboat(m): 9:20pm On Mar 08, 2020
fergie001:

That is my worry.....I have seen this list.

I don't know that he is complaining of.

Actually he was to be used to play the spoiled card jimoh Ibrahim Used in Ondo state 2016
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by vicdom(m): 11:54am On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

1. The issue isn't statute-barred. It was filed Sept 13, hence March 13 will make it 180 days.

2. On jurisdiction, it was first filed in Yenagoa....Alaibe asked for the case to be moved elsewhere. It went to Owerri. Alaibe also pleaded that he wasn't confident of Judge.
The CJN obliged him, and it was moved to FHC, Abuja, though the PDP didn't like it for obvious reasons.

3. He has a right to file as a candidate of that election but cases that depend on delegates list and intra-party elections are not easy to adjudicate especially when the SWC and NWC are in tandem.

It really does depend on their lawyers.

Unless I don't understand his case, the delegates list he is complaining about, is in order.

@the bolded. From my calculation, it will be 180days on the 10th of march.
Breakdown.:- from 13th sept to 30th is 18days.
Oct had 31days, Nov had 30 days, Dec had 31days, January had 31 days, Feb had 29days and till march 10th is 10days from 1st march.
So when you add all these days together. Viz:- 18+31+30+31+31+29+10 = 180days.
That case may have been status barred.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

Oct had 31days, Nov had 30 days, Dec had 31days, January had 31 days, Feb had 29days and till march 10th is 10days from 1st march.
Just calculated.......its 179 days.....not statute-barred.

It is within time.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
engineerboat:

Actually he was to be used to play the spoiled card jimoh Ibrahim Used in Ondo state 2016
He was not used to play any card.pdp were always going to lose bayelsa,it was a fait acompli
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

Go back and work on youd elementary maths again
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 3:12pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

It is within time.
There is visible anxiety in Bayelsa State as the judgment on a pending suit over the disputed governorship primaries of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that produced Governor Douye Diri as governor of Bayelsa State comes up Tuesday, March 10 at the Federal High Court, Owerri in the suit challenging his eligibility, validity and legality.

This follows the reservation of judgment in the suit filed by for former managing director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) and one-time Presidential Adviser on Amnesty Programme, Chief Timi Alaibe, who is not only challenging the legality, constitutionality, and appropriateness of the entire exercise that threw up Diri but also calling for the voiding of Diri’s candidature on grounds that it was illegally, inappropriately and ineligibly procured.

Chief Alaibe who is also urging the court to declare him(Alaibe winner) because he complied with the eligibility and legal requirements known to law and the party guidelines for emergence of governorship candidates, posits that Diri, on the contrary, violated those provisions known to Law and the party guidelines.

Alaibe is said to anchor a major plank of his case on grounds that the PDP consequently committed electoral, and constitutional illegality by blatantly allowing local government chairmen, councilors , and all shades of ineligible persons to vote during the PDP governorship primaries in sharp contrast, and utter violation of the party’s guidelines which do not permit elected chairmen and councilors elected within 90 days to the election, to vote during governorship primaries.

Sources hinted that this development has thrown up much anxiety in Bayelsa State with the camps of former Governor Seriake Dickson and Governor Diri allegedly reaching out to former President Olusegun Obasanjo to reportedly prevail on the former NDDC helmsman to soft-pedal and pick up the Senate seat vacated by Diri, preparatory for a fresh governorship contest in 2023.

Recall that Diri, had visited former President Obasanjo at Abeokuta around 5:45 pm last week Sunday, and held a closed-door meeting with the former Nigerian leader for about 20 minutes. On the visit, the Bayelsa Governor was quoted as saying: “I have come to greet my father, our father, who is actually the father of Nigeria and Africa. I have come to felicitate him on his forthcoming birthday.”

Recall that the Supreme Court had recently declared PDP as winner of the Bayelsa State governorship polls, which had Diri as its candidate in the November 16 governorship election. The Supreme court’s decision had invalidated Chief David Lyon of the All Progressives Congress (APC) election who was earlier declared as the winner and governor-elect by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the Bayelsa State governorship elections.

However, NAIJA LIVE TV investigations show that the judgment that brought Diri into Office as governor has correspondingly fueled fresh political dynamics in Bayelsa State leading to current intense anxiety within the leadership of the PDP as the Federal High Court sitting in Owerri is set to deliver judgment on Chief Alaibe’s suit next Tuesday.

Chief Alaibe who came second in the disputed PDP primaries that produced Diri as PDP candidate is generally perceived as a strong, authentic and solid material that may have been shortchanged by political racketeering allegedly engineered by former governor Seriake Dickson. A petition against Diri’s as the PDP’s flagbearer by Chief Alaibe is still on-going at the Federal High Court, Abuja fueling fresh permutations about the likely outcome of such a delicate, and decisive suit. Some legal and political analysts in Bayelsa believe that the last has not been heard about the whole legal matters about the Bayelsa governorship” hence they are running to Obj, to Jonathan, to Buki(Bukola Saraki, to Turaki(Atiku) to mediate so that Alaibe can go to the Senate with a likely caveat that in 2023 he can then run…”

But competent sources close to Alaibe, and the PDP hierarchy in Abuja hinted that the former NDDC boss has come under serious pressures from PDP bigwigs including former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, ex-senate president Bukola Saraki, and Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State to weigh options including accepting the Senatorial seat that has been vacated by Diri with the promise to wait for 2023 to take run for the seat again. But analysts blame Dickson for the political racketeering that allegedly threw up Diri.

Alaibe is said to predicate his case on grounds that PDP committed electoral, and constitutional illegality by blatantly allowing local government chairmen, councilors , and all shades of ineligible persons to vote during the PDP primaries in sharp contrast, and utter violation of the party’s guidelines which do not permit elected chairmen and councilors elected within 90 days to the election, to vote during governorship primaries.

Recall that Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad, who was at that material time in question serving in acting capacity, had approved Chief Alaibe’s request for a transfer of his suit against Diri to Abuja for a variety of reasons.

Consequently, the presiding judge of the Federal High Court in Yenagoa, Justice Jane Inyang, had acceded to the directive of Justice Muhammad based on Alaibe’s request. Inyang had noted that Alaibe’s request was predicated on “security concern in the state. ”

Recall that Senator Diri who was backed by Dickson, had won the primary election. Diri scored 561 votes to beat Alaibe who polled 365 votes to come second position.

In a swift reaction then, Chief Alaibe’s campaign organization had described the process that threw up Diri as “flawed”, “manipulated” and that the people’s choice as reflected in the actual legal process was Alaibe, who was “brazenly robbed of victory”.

Alaibe and his team then proceeded to file a suit at the Federal High Court, Yenogoa, seeking, among other things the outright cancellation of the results of the PDP primaries that produced Diri because it is illegal, a violation of all known electoral laws, party guidelines and INEC were among the defendants in the suit.

In the originating suit filed pursuant to Order 3(9) of the Federal High Court (Civil Procedure) Rules 2019, Alaibe is seeking to void Diri’s emergence as PDP candidate because it amounts to a clear breach of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Electoral Act 2010, the PDP Constitution, and the relevant Election Guidelines.

Alaibe submits that going by the conduct of the Bayelsa State chapter of the PDP in the whole gamut of the Ward Congresses with its inclusion of local government council officials in the delegates list, and the process for the inclusion of three ad-hoc delegates, the entire primaries that produced Diri amounts to an illegality, and should therefore be voided.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 3:31pm On Mar 09, 2020
senatordave1:

There is no anxiety, it's Naijalivetv's exaggeration. Follow them on Twitter, they have shown bias from the word get-go.

Now to the case, I have highlighted all these before now...and say that LG Chairmen and co...voting is allowed like I showed you earlier, and it is in their Constitution. They used it in Ekiti.(reproduced below)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sunnewsonline.com/2092-delegates-to-choose-pdp-candidate-today/amp/

They are called Statutory Delegates.

The area I just saw now is the 90 days.....if it's true by their guidelines (which I will still look for), then he has a case.

The LG Chairmen and Councillors were sworn in 19 days before the Primary. If indeed, there is somewhere where 90 days is there....then unless they try harder...Diri is toast.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by vicdom(m): 3:35pm On Mar 09, 2020
senatordave1:

Go back and work on youd elementary maths again
I have done my own breakdown already and I used calculator to sum up the days and I arrived at 180 days. Do your own breakdown and counter mine. Unless the case was filed before the said 13th.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by vicdom(m): 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

It is within time.
Sorry broh, the date of filling is equally counted. You clearly didn't add the date it was filled.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 3:43pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

I have done my own breakdown already and I used calculator to sum up the days and I arrived at 180 days. Do your own breakdown and counter mine. Unless the case was filed before the said 13th.
Oga,the law says within 180 days.how does that sound to you?
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 3:44pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

Sorry broh, the date of filling is equally counted. You clearly didn't add the date it was filled.
Yes but still within 180 days
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 3:48pm On Mar 09, 2020
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 3:49pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

Ya.....just realised that....it's 180 days....it is within time.

It becomes statute-barred from March 11.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 3:50pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

He is confusing himself thinking that once its 180,it expires.,he thinks he knows more than the court who fixed march 10
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by vicdom(m): 4:01pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

It becomes statute-barred from March 11.
Okay. But I don't see that case going too far. Quote me tomorrow when that case is thrown out. It will be so difficult to substantiate these kinda electoral offences in the law court. The burdens shall be too weighty to be discharged completely. However, Bayelsa case was a judicial appeasement for IMO brazen rape and robbery against PDP and Democracy. Just remind me tomorrow after the whole things have been quashed and thrown to the dungeon.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 4:02pm On Mar 09, 2020
senatordave1:

He is confusing himself thinking that once its 180,it expires.,he thinks he knows more than the court who fixed march 10
Haba........
Cut him some slack, he didn't know and inquired.
Not everyone knows these things.....

I put interest in these things during the 2019 elections.
Here is even better, the novices on Twitter are legion.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by fergie001: 4:03pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

Okay. But I don't see that case going too far. Quote me tomorrow when that case is thrown out. It will be so difficult to substantiate these kinda electoral offences in the law court. The burdens shall be too weighty to be discharged completely. However, Bayelsa case was a judicial appeasement for IMO brazen rape and robbery against PDP and Democracy. Just remind me tomorrow after the whole things have been quashed and thrown to the dungeon.
The onus of proof in intra-party feud, especially when the NWC and SWC agrees, is always difficult.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 4:12pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

Haba........
Cut him some slack, he didn't know and inquired.
Not everyone knows these things.....

I put interest in these things during the 2019 elections.
Here is even better, the novices on Twitter are legion.
Do you know the annoying thing? The novices are in the majority and they are the one that usually spread false news and make the judiciary or government look bad.sometimes,after being corrected,in another instance they will still repeat the same wrong notion
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 4:18pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

You are a diri apologist so your line of opinion is expected.instead of you to look at the merit of the case,you are talking of non issues.
Bayelsa was no compensation for imo,there was no brazen rape and robbery there.if there was,pdp started it in mbaise.
It is a very easy case to prove actually,just like the bayelsa case,documentary evidence alone will be enough.the list of delegates posted here clearly shows that lg delegates who were not supposed to vote voted so that alone is fundamental.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by vicdom(m): 4:18pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

The onus of proof in intra-party feud, especially when the NWC and SWC agrees, is always difficult.

Exactly broh, let's wait till tomorrow shaa. That Alaibe guy has never been a party loyalist right from outset. I'm still blaming PDP why it allowed him back to party during the election build up. He's clearly working for APC. Same thing they are doing to PDP in kogi using Ibrahim's son to destabilize PDP. APC can't eat their cake and have it. They cheated in Imo case and they still want to get bayelsa by proxy. It will be too calamitous for PDP to lose that Bayelsa now. Meanwhile, I'm too damned optimistic about the outcome. The case will be trashed.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by vicdom(m): 4:24pm On Mar 09, 2020
senatordave1:

You are a diri apologist so your line of opinion is expected.instead of you to look at the merit of the case,you are talking of non issues.
Bayelsa was no compensation for imo,there was no brazen rape and robbery there.if there was,pdp started it in mbaise.
It is a very easy case to prove actually,just like the bayelsa case,documentary evidence alone will be enough.the list of delegates posted here clearly shows that lg delegates who were not supposed to vote voted so that alone is fundamental.
Alright. I will remind you tomorrow when Diri wins again. He's a miraculous governor and he can't be pulldown. I will quote you tomorrow when he wins again. Let God spare our lives.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 4:30pm On Mar 09, 2020
fergie001:

Except you want to be biased or you are misapprehending the case like the lower courts did in imo or the judge chooses not to look at the merits of the case,it is an easy case for the judiciary.it is similar to the zamfara case where apc disobeyed its own constitution.what the swc and nwc agrees will not matter if it is against their party guidelines.like i said,documentary evidence alone will be enough.
The case is simple.did pdp allow lg delegates vote against the 90 days timeline and is it actually in their constitution? It is only when it is about vote rigging,irregularities,change of venue or violence that it is difficult to prove like in kano pdp primaries,ned nwoko vs nwaoboshi etc.spot the clear differences.
Re: Alaibe Vs Diri: Court Fixes March 10 For Judgment by senatordave1(m): 4:32pm On Mar 09, 2020
vicdom:

Alright. I will remind you tomorrow when Diri wins again. He's a miraculous governor and he can't be pulldown. I will quote you tomorrow when he wins again. Let God spare our lives.
Let us leave miracle or religion out of politics.let us talk on merit and law.if you are intellectually low,please indicate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu: I didn't attend primary, secondary schools. My Certificates Were Stolen / Nigeria's Total Public Debt Stands At $151.3 Billion In June 2022 - Nairametrics / Traders In Computer Village Generate $2bn Annually To Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.