Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass (19573 Views)

Which Local Government Is The Largest In Terms Of Landmass? / Niger State Government Urges FG To Consider Landmass In Revenue Sharing / Nsukka Is The Largest City In Nigeria By Landmass (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by senatordave1(m): 12:43am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

I had 4 screenshots I wanted to post but I couldn't cos the file size was too large.

Okay, let's do it this way. I want you to list the modern suburbs of Ibadan for me, I will go through them and see how large of an area they occupy.

If we say we should go by these screenshots, I'm sure I can post 40 different screenshots of Ibadan brown roof areas and you will not see the name of any single edifice in 2 different screenshots, but I doubt you can do this for the modern areas.

See, you Yorubas should just tell yourselves the truth... The same pattern of brown & rusty houses is the same pattern in Ogbomosho, Oshogbo, Abeokuta, Oyo, Iwo, Ikirun, Ilesha, Iseyin and the overwhelming majority of your towns/cities. ...... There is no reason why Ibadan should be any different.

You people do not renovate your houses, why is this so? Houses that were built since the colonial cocoa era are still the same way 70 years ago, no single renovation? Why?
I am mostly OK with your nice work from a 2nd party but i will disagree with you on ph and calabar.ogoni is not part of ph except you mean eleme and its not even all part of eleme.you can include some part of etche especially igbo etche but not all and some part of oyigbo.ph is basicslly ph and obio akpor lgs with a few part of ikwerre lga.

Mrvitalis was right about uyo.calabar urban is far far bigger than uyo city.infact calabar south alone is bigger than the whole uyo.i know urbsnization from uyo is spreading to neighbouring lgas like itu and ibesikpo but that of calabar is also spreading to akpabuyo and odukpani lgas very fast.please modify.uyo is very small like asaba
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 12:45am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Bros abbeg don't mind the guy. He should continue using google map. Since Google map told him Abuja is bigger than Ibadan. He should continue wallowing in ignorance. Brown roof ko. Red roof ni. Where was Kano when Ibadan was already highly developed in the sixties. Lagos took over from Ibadan as the most developed modern city-state in Nigeria. Leave him let him keep displaying his ignorance.

So your pain all these while was because Abuja urban area was bigger than Ibadan?
You have been crying since on why Suleja & Karu should be considered as part of Abuja urban area, but your biased mind failed to see that I also included Agbara, Ota e.t.c in Ogun state when measuring Lagos urban area right?

Kai, Tribalism is such a very terrible thing. These are some of the reasons why Nigeria has to really divide... We can never be one.

Yes, Ibadan was like the best developing city in the past as capital of the Western region, but I get am before nor be property.
Ibadan is now a shadow of it's past cos Lagos has taken the overwhelming majority of Yoruba elites, entrepreneurs and middle class.

4 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by senatordave1(m): 12:47am On Mar 11, 2020
Area4Area:
Both are already built up and part of the metro area too, Umudioka and Nteje are already getting swallowed up by the Onitsha metro area as well
Lets not add them considering that you will pass a lot of rural areas before getting to nteje.onitsha is basically onitsha north,south,parts of idemili north.leave out idemili south and oyi for now.but i must confessed anambra is the 2nd most urbanised state in nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:48am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

I communicated with him while he was doing the measurements.

Okay, you go and do your measurements and see if you will even come close to what I have.

1 or 2 suburbs might have not been included into the measurements of cities from every zone, but that is not enough to significantly alter the measurement of any city up to 30km² difference...

So what is your point?

My point is suleja, madalla, zuba, karu are not part of Abuja. Anyone who tells you otherwise does not know what he's saying

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:52am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

So your pain all these while was because Abuja urban area was bigger than Ibadan?
You have been crying since on why Suleja & Karu should be considered as part of Abuja urban area, but your biased mind failed to see that I also included Agbara, Ota e.t.c in Ogun state when measuring Lagos urban area right?

Kai, Tribalism is such a very terrible thing. These are some of the reasons why Nigeria has to really divide... We can never be one.

Yes, Ibadan was like the best developing city in the past as capital of the Western region, but I get am before nor be property.
Ibadan is now a shadow of it's past cos Lagos has taken the overwhelming majority of Yoruba elites, entrepreneurs and middle class.

Nothing like pain. Abuja to all intents and purposes is not bigger than Ibadan. If you added agbara and ota to Lagos, you're wrong. They've never been part of Lagos.
Nothing like tribalism here. You're the one attacking Ibadan and other south west states. I only gave you a point like others have done about areas they're familiar with including senatordave1 who has been antagonising me. You can see no one agrees with you when it comes to areas they're familiar with.

6 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 12:53am On Mar 11, 2020
senatordave1:

I am mostly OK with your nice work from a 2nd party but i will disagree with you on ph and calabar.ogoni is not part of ph except you mean eleme and its not even all part of eleme.you can include some part of etche especially igbo etche but not all and some part of oyigbo.ph is basicslly ph and obio akpor lgs with a few part of ikwerre lga.

Mrvitalis was right about uyo.calabar urban is far far bigger than uyo city.infact calabar south alone is bigger than the whole uyo.i know urbsnization from uyo is spreading to neighbouring lgas like itu and ibesikpo but that of calabar is also spreading to akpabuyo and odukpani lgas very fast.please modify.uyo is very small like asaba

Yes, when I say Ogoni & Etche, I actually meant Eleme & Igbo-Etche and not the entire LGAs.

My brother, even I myself was surprised at Uyo when we did the measurement. .....

Growing up in Warri and schooling in Benin, I expected Warri and Benin to be the same size, only for Benin to be almost twice the size of Warri and I was shocked and till now I find it difficult to believe.

I now know that the reason Warri appears big is because of the large swampy areas within the urban area and not necessarily cos everywhere is urbanized.
Infact the day I and my friend measured Warri & Benin, I was very ashamed, cos I have seriously argued with him when he told me Benin was bigger than Warri.... Infact we had to measure Warri multiple times cos I just couldn't agree with the figures grin

Google maps cannot lie my brother .... This is live viewing via satellite... There is no way it can be manipulated.

Agboriotejoye:

Nothing like pain. Abuja to all intents and purposes is not bigger than Ibadan. If you added agbara and ota to Lagos, you're wrong. They've never been part of Lagos.
Nothing like tribalism here. You're the one attacking Ibadan and other south west states. I only gave you a point like others have done about areas they're familiar with including senatordave1 who has been antagonising me. You can see no one agrees with you when it comes to areas they're familiar with.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Area4Area: 12:54am On Mar 11, 2020
senatordave1:

Lets not add them considering that you will pass a lot of rural areas before getting to nteje.onitsha is basically onitsha north,south,parts of idemili north.leave out idemili south and oyi for now.but i must confessed anambra is the 2nd most urbanised state in nigeria.
Easy bro, what about harbour industrial estate, Idemili around Atani road, areas around Relief, Electronics, Ogbo plastic, Okpoko and all the areas by your right if you're coming from Asaba, are they no longer Onitsha metro? They are all under Ogbaru LGA and cannot be left out.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by johnmartus(m): 1:01am On Mar 11, 2020
Good point here.
myobjective:

Bro, believe me, Ibadan is better than Kano, I have been to both city and I can tell. The modern part of Kano is much smaller than that of Ibadan.

Apart from the oil-producing states and Lagos, Kano earn the highest revenue from the federation account due to her perceived population and the number of local government, so it should more be developed as it is also easier to develop infrastructure like road in the north-west than south-west due to rainfall and soil condition.

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by senatordave1(m): 1:06am On Mar 11, 2020
Area4Area:
Easy bro, what about harbour industrial estate, Idemili around Atani road, areas around Relief, Electronics, Ogbo plastic, Okpoko and all the areas by your right if you're coming from Asaba, are they no longer Onitsha metro? They are all under Ogbaru LGA and cannot be left out.
I agree.i forgot to add parts of ogbaru
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by LegendHer0: 1:07am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

I had 4 screenshots I wanted to post but I couldn't cos the file size was too large.

Okay, let's do it this way. I want you to list the modern suburbs of Ibadan for me, I will go through them and see how large of an area they occupy.

If we say we should go by these screenshots, I'm sure I can post 40 different screenshots of Ibadan brown roof areas and you will not see the name of any single edifice in 2 different screenshots, but I doubt you can do this for the modern areas.

See, you Yorubas should just tell yourselves the truth... The same pattern of brown & rusty houses is the same pattern in Ogbomosho, Oshogbo, Abeokuta, Oyo, Iwo, Ikirun, Ilesha, Iseyin and the overwhelming majority of your towns/cities. ...... There is no reason why Ibadan should be any different.

You people do not renovate your houses, why is this so? Houses that were built since the colonial cocoa era are still the same way 70 years ago, no single renovation? Why?

i am not sure I have much time to be measuring them now. Also pasting those images here will derail this thread and will affect its essence. For example these are some other parts.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 1:09am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Agboriotejoye:

My point is suleja, madalla, zuba, karu are not part of Abuja. Anyone who tells you otherwise does not know what he's saying

Just like I said above... The day I and my friend measured Warri & Benin, I felt very sad cos I have always been arguing bitterly with him that Benin could not be bigger than Warri, since I lived most of my life in both cities and I know them very well.

For the records pls Madalla & Zuba are part of FCT, It is Suleja that is part of Niger state! Check it very well to see. .... Likewise, Nyanya and even parts of Mararaba are officially part of FCT! It is from just before the junction of Abacha road down that is officially Nasarawa state. ... Orozo is in FCT.

You don't even know the official divisions as you claim to.

Have you read that link I posted for you? For you to learn what an urban/metropolitan area is?
Agbara, Ota are part of Lagos urban/metropolitan area... Your ignorance cannot change it.

Urban/metropolitan areas are not measured by political classifications... This is the umpteenth time I will be enlightening you on this.

Effurun & Udu are not part of Warri in the real sense of it and that is why on signboards, signposts and almost everything else, they are differentiated.... Warri south LGA is in Delta south senatorial district while Uvwie & Udu are in Delta central senatorial district...... However, the name and vibes of Warri has swallowed up the other 2 cos Warri developed into them.... But today, there can be no Warri as is famously known without Uvwie & Udu, especially Uvwie.

This is the same thing that happened with Jos & Bukuru.... Bukuru is not Jos. It is an entirely different town of it's own and in those days when Jos was not big, Bukuru to Jos was as if you were traveling, but now both towns have merged and Jos being the famous place has swallowed up Bukuru identity. But in documents, signboards & sign posts, Bukuru and Jos are always differentiated.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by senatordave1(m): 1:12am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

Yes, when I say Ogoni & Etche, I actually meant Eleme & Igbo-Etche and not the entire LGAs.

My brother, even I myself was surprised at Uyo when we did the measurement. .....

Growing up in Warri and schooling in Benin, I expected Warri and Benin to be the same size, only for Benin to be almost twice the size of Warri and I was shocked and till now I find it difficult to believe.

I now know that the reason Warri appears big is because of the large swampy areas within the urban area and not necessarily cos everywhere is urbanized.
Infact the day I and my friend measured Warri & Benin, I was very ashamed, cos I have seriously argued with him when he told me Benin was bigger than Warri.... Infact we had to measure Warri multiple times cos I just couldn't agree with the figures grin

Google maps cannot lie my brother .... This is live viewing via satellite... There is no way it can be manipulated.

My brother,google maps can also make mistakes actually its human creation.uyo cannot be bigger than calabar,even people from akwa ibom will not agree with you.or is asaba bigger than warri?

Warri and benin comparison is misplaced because warri is mainly three lgas plus udu and uvwie but in terms of urbanization it is mainly warri south lga and uvwie but for beginning city it cuts across about 6 or more lgas and is rapidly expanding just like onitsha,ibadan and ph.the expansion or urbanization of warri is slow and stunted due to many factors.

4 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by senatordave1(m): 1:15am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

Just like I said above... The day I and my friend measured Warri & Benin, I felt very sad cos I have always been arguing bitterly with him that Benin could not be bigger than Warri, since I lived most of my life in both cities and I know them very well.

For the records pls Madalla & Zuba are part of FCT, It is Suleja that is part of Niger state! Check it very well to see. .... Likewise, Nyanya and even parts of Mararaba are officially part of FCT! It is from just before the junction of Abacha road down that is officially Nasarawa state. ... Orozo is in FCT.

Have you read that link I posted for you? For you to learn what an urban/metropolitan area is?
Agbara, Ota are part of Lagos urban/metropolitan area... Your ignorance cannot change it.

Urban/metropolitan areas are not measured by political classifications... This is the umpteenth time I will be enlightening you on this.

Effurun & Udu are not part of Warri in the real sense of it and that is why on signboards, signposts and almost everything else, they are differentiated.... Warri south LGA is in Delta south senatorial district while Uvwie & Udu are in Delta central senatorial district...... However, the name and vibes of Warri has swallowed up the other 2 cos Warri developed into them.... But today, there can be no Warri as is famously known without Uvwie & Udu, especially Uvwie.
[b]
This is the same thing that happened with Jos & Bukuru.... Bukuru is not Jos. It is an entirely different town of it's own and in those days when Jos was not big, Bukuru to Jos was as if you were traveling, but now both towns have merged and Jos being the famous place has swallowed up Bukuru identity. But in documents, signboards & sign posts, Bukuru and Jos are always differentiate[/b]d.
I think same can be seen in kaduna with urbanization expanding to parts of chikun and igabi lgas
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by senatordave1(m): 1:16am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

This is suppose to be an educative fora not a competition
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 1:28am On Mar 11, 2020
senatordave1:

My brother,google maps can also make mistakes actually its human creation.uyo cannot be bigger than calabar,even people from akwa ibom will not agree with you.or is asaba bigger than warri?

Warri and benin comparison is misplaced because warri is mainly three lgas plus udu and uvwie but in terms of urbanization it is mainly warri south lga and uvwie but for beginning city it cuts across about 6 or more lgas and is rapidly expanding just like onitsha,ibadan and ph.the expansion or urbanization of warri is slow and stunted due to many factors.

No pls... Warri & Benin comparison can never be misplaced because Warri now cuts across 5 LGAs while Benin cuts across only 4 to the best of my knowledge!

Benin is Oredo & Egor LGAs mostly, then parts of Ovia SW & Ikpoba-Okha LGAs.
Ugbowo & Oluku areas in Ovia southwest and Aduwawa, Ogbeson, Ikhueniro & Enyaen in Ikpobha.

Warri on the other hand has Warri south, Uvwie & Udu LGAs heavily urbanized with many towns in each of them.
Then you have about 6 towns in Okpe & Ughelli south LGAs e.g Osubi, Okuokoko, Agbarho, Otokutu, Jeddo and one other I have forgotten.

Almost all my life has been in both cities, so if you want to argue this area, just forget it....

Warri will be as big as Benin if the swampy areas within the city are included... In the whole of Warri south & Uvwie LGAs there is no empty land area again to develop apart from Swamps. This is why all the development and new houses are now towards Udu & Ughelli south LGAs.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Afam4eva(m): 1:31am On Mar 11, 2020
So, people don't know the difference between cities and and urban areas. For instance, in the US, they use terms like "Greater Boston Area". This simple means places that may not be part of the city of Boston but have formed some kind of conurbation with the city. The same thing can be applied to cities in Nigeria. For instance. places like Mowe and Sango Ota are not in Lagos but are a part of Greater Lagos. Infact, people who live in those places will tell you that they live in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 1:39am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

This is the same thing that happened with Jos & Bukuru.... Bukuru is not Jos. It is an entirely different town of it's own and in those days when Jos was not big, Bukuru to Jos was as if you were traveling, but now both towns have merged and Jos being the famous place has swallowed up Bukuru identity. But in documents, signboards & sign posts, Bukuru and Jos are always differentiated.
Here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalla
That's for Madalla. If you've been to both places, you'll know they are under suleja local govt and are therefore in Niger state.

I have read your link and while I see what the idea is about, i have to inform you that you'll have to remove Ibadan at least from your list dat I'm sure of. That's because Ibadan has not subsumed any adjoining town or settlement to become part of it. Even Lagos cannot add ota and agbara as you did because agbara for example is an industrial zone servicing Lagos while ota is not even in any way contiguous with Lagos. While the nearness of suleja to Abuja would suggest a melt, it's obvious to those who are familiar with suleja that it does not share much with Abuja in terms of infrastructure or urbanisation. Abuja is well planned, Suleja is not. Transport in Abuja is totally different from what obtains in suleja, same with any other infrastructure you may think of. For example, most roads in Abuja main are dualised while no road in suleja is dualised. Ask those who know. The only thing they share is the workers in Abuja who live in suleja due to the cheaper cost of accommodation. Same applies to zuba and madalla. In fact, madalla is more or less a glorified village. Nothing urban about it. Ask those who know.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 1:44am On Mar 11, 2020
Afam4eva:
So, people don't know the difference between cities and and urban areas. For instance, in the US, they use terms like "Greater Boston Area". This simple means places that may not be part of the city of Boston but have formed some kind of conurbation with the city. The same thing can be applied to cities in Nigeria. For instance. places like Mowe and Sango Ota are not in Lagos but are a part of Greater Lagos. Infact, people who live in those places will tell you that they live in Lagos.
Good. Which means cities and urban areas(metropolis as the op should have read) are totally different. The OP made a mistake equating cities and metropolis and using that basis to form his decisions. That's why I've said his premises are faulty.

As for people in Mowe/Ota saying they live in Lagos, such people self know they are joking. That apart, I hope you know most areas of ipaja down to abule egba to alakuko were not part of Lagos before. It's those places that can be said to have been submerged into Lagos as part of the metropolis not Ota

4 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Afam4eva(m): 1:49am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Good. Which means cities and urban areas(metropolis as the op should have read) are totally different. The OP made a mistake equating cities and metropolis and using that basis to form his decisions. That's why I've said his premises are fault
Saying cities/urban areas means that both cities and/or their urban areas will be included. Some cities have urban areas while other do not.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Afam4eva(m): 1:50am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

As for people in Mowe/Ota saying they live in Lagos, such people self know they are joking. That apart, I hope you know most areas of ipaja down to abule egba to alakuko were not part of Lagos before. It's those places that can be said to have been submerged into Lagos as part of the metropolis not Ota
Technically, they're not in Lagos but they're part of the Greater Lagos Area. There are some parts of the US state of Maryland that are referred to as part of the DC Area.
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 2:06am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalla
That's for Madalla. If you've been to both places, you'll know they are under suleja local govt and are therefore in Niger state.

I have read your link and while I see what the idea is about, i have to inform you that you'll have to remove Ibadan at least from your list dat I'm sure of. That's because Ibadan has not subsumed any adjoining town or settlement to become part of it. Even Lagos cannot add ota and agbara as you did because agbara for example is an industrial zone servicing Lagos while ota is not even in any way contiguous with Lagos. While the nearness of suleja to Abuja would suggest a melt, it's obvious to those who are familiar with suleja that it does not share much with Abuja in terms of infrastructure or urbanisation. Abuja is well planned, Suleja is not. Transport in Abuja is totally different from what obtains in suleja, same with any other infrastructure you may think of. For example, most roads in Abuja main are dualised while no road in suleja is dualised. Ask those who know. The only thing they share is the workers in Abuja who live in suleja due to the cheaper cost of accommodation. Same applies to zuba and madalla. In fact, madalla is more or less a glorified village. Nothing urban about it. Ask those who know.

How do you expect Abuja municipal that is being managed by the FG to be on the same development index with Suleja & Karu that is managed by poorer state govts? And these state govts even have their own capital cities (Minna & Lafia) that they are managing...

This is why there are propositions being made by the FG to take Karu & Suleja into FCT for them to be managed better.

Suleja, Karu & Gwagwalada are developing and becoming largely urbanized because of Abuja and that is why the economy, business and social life of these places are intertwined. These are the means used to determine an Urban area.

Thank God other people have now joined me here to school your ignorance.

Have you been to PH? Go and see how well organized PH LGA is compared to the developing suburbs like Oyigbo or Igbo-Etche... It feels like you are in a different city, yet all of these places are under 1 urban area.

Suleja, Karu, Gwagwalada & Bwari are part and parcel of Abuja urban area... Your ignorance cannot change it.

You are not arguing about Gwagwalada & Bwari perhaps cos they have a smaller size and are not a threat to your desire of Ibadan being the 2nd largest urban area in Nigeria.. grin

Terrible tribalist.
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:06am On Mar 11, 2020
Afam4eva:

Technically, they're not in Lagos but they're part of the Greater Lagos Area. There are some parts of the US state of Maryland that are referred to as part of the DC Area.
Ok. I'll leave it as it is then. I know this issue was trashed when amosun became governor then and ordered all those living in akute, Arepo, agbara etc to pay tax to Ogun state because he said they're not part of Lagos. So, I'll go with the flow of greater Lagos under the assumption that you guys know what you're saying.

Afam4eva:

Saying cities/urban areas means that both cities and/or their urban areas will be included. Some cities have urban areas while other do not.

Well, the criteria for city and urban areas are different. He can't lump them together because he wants to prove that Kano, Kaduna and Abuja are bigger than southern cities. I'm sure most of those areas he's referring to as Kano metropolis and Kaduna metropolis will be glorified villages. We all know how undeveloped the north is. Like I've already told him, Suleja is totally distinct from Abuja. The only thing they share is the workers who live there so I don't see how you'll merge suleja with Abuja. If so you can simply extend it to dikko as well.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:12am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

How do you expect Abuja municipal that is being managed by the FG to be on the same development index with Suleja & Karu that is managed by poorer state govts? And these state govts even have their own capital cities (Minna & Lafia) that they are managing...

This is why there are propositions being made by the FG to take Karu & Suleja into FCT for them to be managed better.

Suleja, Karu & Gwagwalada are developing and becoming largely urbanized because of Abuja and that is why the economy, business and social life of these places are intertwined. These are the means used to determine an Urban area.

Thank God other people have now joined me here to school your ignorance.

Have you been to PH? Go and see how well organized PH LGA is compared to the developing suburbs like Oyigbo or Igbo-Etche... It feels like you are in a different city, yet all of these places are under 1 urban area.

Suleja, Karu, Gwagwalada & Bwari are part and parcel of Abuja urban area... Your ignorance cannot change it.

You are not arguing about Gwagwalada & Bwari perhaps cos they have a smaller size and are not a threat to your desire of Ibadan being the 2nd largest urban area in Nigeria.. grin

Terrible tribalist.
Dude you're the ignorant soul. Gwagwalada and bwari are part and parcel of Abuja. No one can even remove them. I don't even know why you did cause it makes no sense to. Your problem is you've not been to those places or studied them. You just sat down with Google and started doing what fits your narrative.

Whenever you go to suleja. Shout "hurrah!! I'm in Abuja" and see if you'll not be taken to the nearest hospital.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 2:15am On Mar 11, 2020
Afam4eva:

Thank you very much for this... Every other person has understood the difference except for this Agboriotejoye.

The fact that places like Ibadan did not grow to swallow up other big towns was simply because they were not big towns neighbouring it or simply because of centralization of the administration of that place. .

For example Udu & Uvwie were complete villages before Warri developed into them, however because of Tribalism and political divisions, Udu & Uvwie people fiercely reject their towns being called Warri. Cos it makes them feel subject to the OLU OF WARRI who is an itsekiri....
Had it been it was the OLU OF ITSEKIRI and now OLU OF WARRI, most Urhobos of Udu & Uvwie LGA would not have had a problem with identifying their towns as under Warri.

Benin does not have this problem because the entire city is owned by one ethnic group and it is centralized.

All these names of States, LGAs and geopolitical zones are recent constructs that do not really define people, but it's so sad that many of us have fallen for these myopic divisions.
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 2:21am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Dude you're the ignorant soul. Gwagwalada and bwari are part and parcel of Abuja. No one can even remove them. I don't even know why you did cause it makes no sense to. Your problem is you've not been to those places or studied them. You just sat down with Google and started doing what fits your narrative.

Whenever you go to suleja. Shout "hurrah!! I'm in Abuja" and see if you'll not be taken to the nearest hospital.

You are the definition of Ignorance!

FYI, Gwagwalada is a LGA under the FCT just like AMAC.... Gwagwalada is not under Abuja going by your definition... It is under FCT... It is completely independent of Abuja metro area council (AMAC)....

See the huge distance between Abuja municipal and Gwagwalada, yet Gwagwalada is part of Abuja to you, meanwhile Karu that is just a stone throw from Abuja municipal is not part of Abuja because much of it falls under Nasarawa state...

Can you listen to yourself? Itibolibo grin

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by myobjective: 2:24am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Ok. I'll leave it as it is then. I know this issue was trashed when amosun became governor then and ordered all those living in akute, Arepo, agbara etc to pay tax to Ogun state because he said they're not part of Lagos. So, I'll go with the flow of greater Lagos under the assumption that you guys know what you're saying.

Well, the criteria for the city and urban areas are different. He can't lump them together because he wants to prove that Kano, Kaduna and Abuja are bigger than southern cities. I'm sure most of those areas he's referring to as Kano metropolis and Kaduna metropolis will be glorified villages. We all know how undeveloped the north is. Like I've already told him, Suleja is totally distinct from Abuja. The only thing they share is the workers who live there so I don't see how you'll merge suleja with Abuja. If so you can simply extend it to dikko as well.

I will disagree with you here. Suleja is just like a satellite town to Abuja. There is no much difference between Kubwa, Kuje, Gwagwalada and Suleja. In fact, Suleja is better than Gwagwalada and Abaji owing to her closeness to Abuja.

If you are using development to judge where is Abuja then you will have to limit Abuja to the Maitama, Wuse, Gariki, Asokoro, central area, Gwarinpa and Katampe. Since, places like Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari, Tunga maje, kubwa etc don't have all these infrastructures.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:26am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

Thank you very much for this... Every other person has understood the difference except for this Agboriotejoye.

The fact that places like Ibadan did not grow to swallow up other big towns was simply because they were not big towns neighbouring it or simply because of centralization of the administration of that place. .

For example Udu & Uvwie were complete villages before Warri developed into them, however because of Tribalism and political divisions, Udu & Uvwie people fiercely reject their towns being called Warri. Cos it makes them feel subject to the OLU OF WARRI who is an itsekiri....
Had it been it was the OLU OF ITSEKIRI and now OLU OF WARRI, most Urhobos of Udu & Uvwie LGA would not have had a problem with identifying their towns as under Warri.

Benin does not have this problem because the entire city is owned by one ethnic group and it is centralized.

All these names of States, LGAs and geopolitical zones are recent constructs that do not really define people, but it's so sad that many of us have fallen for these myopic divisions.
I already told you. Nobody has ever described anywhere Greater Lagos Area. If you have a ministry or administrative unit that did that, you're welcome to bring it. What obtains in US stays in US. Lagos metropolis is known and Ota is not part of it. Same with Mowe/Ibafo.

Thank God the people of udu/uvwie have already schooled you on how to recognise towns and cities in Nigeria. You can call Donald Trump to come and detribalise them.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 2:27am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye, the problem with you is that you lack the simple comprehension of the definition of terms.

For you to say Gwagwalada is part of Abuja and Karu is not shows that you are obviously mistaking FCT and Abuja to be the same thing, meanwhile they are not!

Abuja is a LGA under FCT just as Gwagwalada, Bwari, Kuje, Abaji are LGAs under FCT.
FCT is not the same thing with Abuja!

Someone like you now will say Abaji is part of Abuja while Karu is not? Abaji that is a stonethrow from Koton Karfe in Kogi state and more than 1 hour drive to Abuja? grin

The Nigerian educational system has really failed us.
Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by myobjective: 2:28am On Mar 11, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

People in Suleja actually believe they are in Abuja. Taking a bus to the city centre, no one says he is going to Abuja, they will only tell you that they are going to Begger, Wuse, Kubwa express, AYA etc.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:34am On Mar 11, 2020
Nowenuse:

You are the definition of Ignorance!

FYI, Gwagwalada is a LGA under the FCT just like AMAC.... Gwagwalada is not under Abuja going by your definition... It is under FCT... It is completely independent of Abuja metro area council (AMAC)....

See the huge distance between Abuja municipal and Gwagwalada, yet Gwagwalada is part of Abuja to you, meanwhile Karu that is just a stone throw from Abuja municipal is not part of Abuja because much of it falls under Nasarawa state...

Can you listen to yourself? Itibolibo grin

Ok. So under which state was gwagwalada and bwari since you're not ignorant.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Nowenuse: 2:37am On Mar 11, 2020
myobjective:

I will disagree with you here. Suleja is just like a satellite town to Abuja. There is no much difference between Kubwa, Kuje, Gwagwalada and Suleja. In fact, Suleja is better than Gwagwalada and Abaji owing to her closeness to Abuja.

If you are using development to judge where is Abuja then you will have to limit Abuja to the Maitama, Wuse, Gariki, Asokoro, central area, Gwarinpa and Katampe. Since, places like Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari, Tunga maje, kubwa etc don't have all these infrastructures.

Thank you very much.

Abaji has no business with Abuja, it is on the boundary with Kogi state and a stonethrow away from Koton Karfe villages... Abaji was in old Kwara state, they were just carved into FCT to make it bigger.

The social and economic life of Abaji has no business with Abuja... It is impossible to stay in Abaji and work or own a business in Abuja municipal.

Suleja & Karu are the major heartbeats and social centres of Abuja urban where the majority of people who work or own businesses in Abuja reside.... Gwagwalada is even too far, it is just hustling and bustling because of the University, not really because of people who are economically connected to Abuja municipal.

The problem with Agboriotejoye is that he is limiting his understanding to political boundaries which is very very wrong.

He is limiting the definition of Abuja to Abuja Municipal, while at the same time equating the definition of Abuja to FCT.... He is just very confused because of his ignorance.... Instead of him to learn he is arguing.

1 Like

Re: 25 Largest Cities/urban Areas In Nigeria By Landmass by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:37am On Mar 11, 2020
myobjective:

People in Suleja actually believe they are in Abuja. Taking a bus to the city centre, no one says he is going to Abuja, they will only tell you that they are going to Begger, Wuse, Kubwa express, AYA etc.
That's because those are places people move in and out of everyday. They don't believe they're in Abuja. When you're coming back from those places to suleja, what will you say o?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

More Photos And Video From The APC Presidential Campaign Rally In Jigawa Today / We Have No Hand In Ekweremadu’s Invitation By Police – APC / Lagos To Construct N49Billion Medical Park

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.