Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. (9661 Views)

My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK / CBN Grants Wema Bank National License / Gtb To Close All Their Branches At 1pm Due To Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by soloheater(m): 9:05pm On Dec 22, 2010
Wema Bank Plc is set to close 17 branches located in the South-West and Northern parts of the country to enable it operate a regional banking. Group managing director/chief executive of the bank, Mr. Segun Oloketuyi who disclosed this in Lagos on Tuesday at press a briefing said that for the bank to operate as a regional bank, 13 branches established in the North and four branches in the South -East would be shut down.

He said that the closure of those branches was necessary as the greater proportion of the bank’s infrastructure was in the South-South and South-West, by virtue of its origin, stressing that the bank has a greater concentration of its branches in Lagos and South-West.

He said that the branches within the region accounted for 98.8 per cent of the total loan portfolio and 96.9 per cent of deposit of the bank as at October, 2010.

He further pointed out that out of 154 branches operating across the country, 137 are  located in the region where the bank has chosen to operate.

Oloketuyi stated that Wema bank operating as a regional bank would offer the same banquet banking services as a national and international bank.

He said that for  the bank to have maximum impact, more branches would be established within the region while the bank’s staff working in South-West and North would be redeployed to other branches.

Olaketuyi, however, said that the thought of regional bank was because since its strength resides in these regions, it might as well enable it to be focused, grow its business and later spread exceptional services to other regions.

In doing so, he said it would be better positioned to efficiently deploy its resources (capital, manpower and operational capacity) towards achieving better financial performance and delivery of top quality services to its customers.  He said that the bank which had negative shareholders fund of N66 billion in 2009 has been recapitalised.

Listing some of the bank’s achievement in last 18 months, he said that as at November, 2010 the management has recovered about N31 billion, raise N7.5 billion through its private placement, adding that the minimum capital required for it to meet its capitalization was N10 billion.

Chief executive of the bank said that the customers that located within the region, the management planned to develop and maintain strong electronic banking operations that would provide them seamless services and where necessary while other commercial banks that operate in other regions where it has close its branches would provide correspondent banking services to those customers on the behalf the Wema bank.

He said that correspondent Banking relationships are a common feature of collaboration both in the local and global banking practice.

According to the CBN new banking model, a regional bank can operate in minimum of six States and maximum 12 contiguous states and the Federal Territory, stressing that those states must be within not more two geo-political Zones

http://allafrica.com/stories/201012230609.html
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:05pm On Dec 22, 2010
Tank god i dnt bank wv dem
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by ayoos(m): 11:16pm On Dec 22, 2010
Another way to sack more workers, or where will they put the workers in those branches?

What a way to either end the year or start the year for the sacked workers.

What is the way foward for bank workers?

Join the forum at www.bankersdiscussiongroup.com/forum
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by odedele: 8:24am On Dec 23, 2010
@ ayoos: d way forward caution sanusi his reform is pushin d youth out of job
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by apoti(m): 12:33pm On Dec 23, 2010
Wema Bank, so they still exist
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by dTeflonDon: 12:38pm On Dec 23, 2010
@ last undecided
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by nekanbaba: 12:45pm On Dec 23, 2010
from the statistics provided by the MD, that is the best business position any body can take. Wema bank is a business venture not a charity.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by klas(m): 1:19pm On Dec 23, 2010
This is just in compliance with the new banking model (categorisation) to be operated in the country as from 2011. Many more banks especially the rescued ones will have to take regional banking licence since they require only N10billion capital base as oppossed to N25b for national or N50b for international licences.

However, CBN needs to revisit the model for regional banking otherwise, SE, NE and NW may not have any branch of a regional bank. According to the CBN condition, regional bank can only have branches in Abuja and maximum of 12 states in 2 contigous geo-political zones. Since most banks will want to maintain branch(es) in Lagos (in south-west), they can only open in South-South or North-Central as only these zones share boundaries with south west. Also opening branches in Lagos does not mean that the bank will find the rest of the south-western states economically viable, but they have no option than to spread to those states in order to comply with CBN model.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by clogogo(m): 1:47pm On Dec 23, 2010
that is they are letting out so many worker to be unemployed, what a new year resolution for the bankers
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by cwsoffer: 1:50pm On Dec 23, 2010
He said that for  the bank to have maximum impact, more branches would be established within the region while the bank’s staff working in South-West and North would be redeployed to other branches.

Since there is provision for affected workers I don't have any reservation for them.

According to the CBN new banking model, a regional bank can operate in minimum of six States and maximum 12 contiguous states and the Federal Territory, stressing that those states must be within not more two geo-political Zones

And there decision is based on apex bank directive. Wishing them a fruitful 2011.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Atk1nson(m): 1:59pm On Dec 23, 2010
I hope dat includes d one in my area ; a bank where I was told to pay #20 to get a new teller because I made a mistake on d 1st one
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by VALIDATOR: 2:38pm On Dec 23, 2010

Wema Bank Plc is set to close 17 branches located in the South-West and Northern parts of the country to enable it operate a regional banking. Group managing director/chief executive of the bank, Mr. Segun Oloketuyi who disclosed this in Lagos on Tuesday at press a briefing said that for the bank to operate as a regional bank, 13 branches established in the North and four branches in the South -East would be shut down.

He said that the closure of those branches was necessary as the greater proportion of the bank’s infrastructure was in the South-South and South-West, by virtue of its origin, stressing that the bank has a greater concentration of its branches in Lagos and South-West.

He said that the branches within the region accounted for 98.8 per cent of the total loan portfolio and 96.9 per cent of deposit of the bank as at October, 2010.

He further pointed out that out of 154 branches operating across the country, 137 are located in the region where the bank has chosen to operate.

Oloketuyi stated that Wema bank operating as a regional bank would offer the same banquet banking services as a national and international bank.

He said that for the bank to have maximum impact, more branches would be established within the region while the bank’s staff working in South-West and North would be redeployed to other branches.

Olaketuyi, however, said that the thought of regional bank was because since its strength resides in these regions, it might as well enable it to be focused, grow its business and later spread exceptional services to other regions.

In doing so, he said it would be better positioned to efficiently deploy its resources (capital, manpower and operational capacity) towards achieving better financial performance and delivery of top quality services to its customers. He said that the bank which had negative shareholders fund of N66 billion in 2009 has been recapitalised.

Listing some of the bank’s achievement in last 18 months, he said that as at November, 2010 the management has recovered about N31 billion, raise N7.5 billion through its private placement, adding that the minimum capital required for it to meet its capitalization was N10 billion.

Chief executive of the bank said that the customers that located within the region, the management planned to develop and maintain strong electronic banking operations that would provide them seamless services and where necessary while other commercial banks that operate in other regions where it has close its branches would provide correspondent banking services to those customers on the behalf the Wema bank.

He said that correspondent Banking relationships are a common feature of collaboration both in the local and global banking practice.

Error !
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Exponental(m): 5:04pm On Dec 23, 2010
The bank that has most of its building rented.

No food for landlords again, ehyaaaaaaa!
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by mrofficial(m): 5:19pm On Dec 23, 2010
apoti:

Wema Bank, so they still exist
What would you say about Union Bank?  grin grin grin
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by nethacker(m): 5:35pm On Dec 23, 2010
na wa oo grin grin
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Osama10(m): 7:17pm On Dec 23, 2010
Atk1nson:

I hope dat includes d one in my area ; a bank where I was told to pay #20 to get a new teller because I made a mistake on d 1st one

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by sochan: 7:36pm On Dec 23, 2010
is that bank profitable at all?
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by omongbati4: 2:53am On Dec 24, 2010
''They'' have run down this one like they do every other thing they touch. Oles
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Nobody: 5:19am On Dec 24, 2010
Wema sounds like Chewing Gum, so it was a name of a "Bank". kwa kwa kwa kwa kwa I laff in latin. Close all the branches Jare. In my mind, you never existed.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 24, 2010
Soludo,you are the root cause of all this bruhaha. i think wema bank will do well in the south west,they have always been there with one funny name  or the other and a strong presence .it was owena bank,later changed to omega bank and to wema bank.
guess unity bank too will close some branches and move to the north
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by freezy(m): 8:44am On Dec 24, 2010
^^^^^

Oga, why are you misinforming the general public? Owena Bank changed to Omega Bank and then to Spring Bank. National Bank and Wema Bank merged in 2005 to meet the 25bn minimum capital mandate by the CBN
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by jonnex: 9:01am On Dec 24, 2010
can we know d affected branches, i still have some coins in wema bank.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by orgasm(m): 9:43am On Dec 24, 2010
Omega bank to Wema bank? Where did u get dat info from? Wema bank started over 60years ago as Agbonmagbe bank which was a Regional bank owned by the then Western Region Government which is what is returning to now. It has survived the series of Bank distress and failure over the long years cos it was always supported by the western region govt money. It only acquired National Bank in the 2005 Soludo 25billion consolidation exercise.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by MrCork3: 11:13am On Dec 24, 2010
Mr Cork <<<<< 17inches wink
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 24, 2010
TO ALL THOSE THAT MOCK THE BANK

WEMA Bank operates primarily in suburban and rural areas. They seem to be in the forefront of rural banking. If not for WEMA, many rural areas would have remained without commercial banks. The fact that they are restrategising apparently to focus their resources in their stronghold areas in the South should not make the bank a laughing stock.

I BELIEVE THAT BY SO DOING, THEY WILL BE MORE EFFICIENT. THE ONLY REGRET IS THAT SOME OF THEIR WORKERS WILL BE THROWN INTO THE LABOUR MARKET. I ADVISE THAT ADEQUATE COMPENSATION BE PAID TO AFFECTED WORKERS.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by Stevogue(m): 10:15pm On Dec 24, 2010
WEMA BANK! Hmn! here comes the big fall or should I call it the beginning of the end for the new generation mushroom bank.
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by poweredcom(m): 3:12am On Dec 25, 2010
hahaha dem no get money again
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by tunde247: 8:44am On Dec 25, 2010
haaaa
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by ewons1(m): 4:41pm On Dec 25, 2010
hi people, i want to inquire abt savannah or santana bank(laughs), wht is happenin to dem eva since they were given back deir licence and opened a site which i dnt knw if its fake or real for applicants to apply?,
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by jambya(m): 7:55pm On Dec 25, 2010
i dey laugh kekeke!!!!
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by ROCKJ1(m): 10:55pm On Dec 25, 2010
me too, i dey laugh o
Re: Wema Bank Nigeria To Close 17 Branches. by moremi2008(m): 7:16am On Dec 27, 2010
obasy09:

TO ALL THOSE THAT MOCK THE BANK

WEMA Bank operates primarily in suburban and rural areas. They seem to be in the forefront of rural banking. If not for WEMA, many rural areas would have remained without commercial banks. The fact that they are restrategising apparently to focus their resources in their stronghold areas in the South should not make the bank a laughing stock.

I BELIEVE THAT BY SO DOING, THEY WILL BE MORE EFFICIENT. THE ONLY REGRET IS THAT SOME OF THEIR WORKERS WILL BE THROWN INTO THE LABOUR MARKET. I ADVISE THAT ADEQUATE COMPENSATION BE PAID TO AFFECTED WORKERS.

It's only a poorly run, ramshackle bank that only an illiterate farmer will bank with! An illiterate bank run by illiterates! A shame!

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool / List Of Non Banking Financial Institutions In Nigeria / They Shutdown Ibeto Cement Owned By Igbo Man For Dangote To Dominate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.