Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,809 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup (5204 Views)

Benin, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / Which Language Is The Most Difficult? Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Yorubas are benins

We gave you all the most precious ooni
Oduduwa and not the fairytale guy who trekked from mecca or the nigga that was a climber

Binis are yorubas.

The denial is weak...Binis are yorubas.

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 1:54pm On Mar 16, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Binis are yorubas.

The denial is weak...Binis are yorubas.

Yorubas are edos

I can back my claims can you?
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Yorubas are edos

I can back my claims can you?

Still same thing.

Binis are yorubas

Yorubas are edos...

All na still same and one people. Both are same and one people.

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 1:58pm On Mar 16, 2020
MelesZenawi:

It is a waste of time engaging people with 7 local governments.

We are not your mates...

Argue with your fellow yorubas because binis are yorubas and vice versa.

Thats why igbos are always waste of time in nigeria

A tribe full of pain, constantly marginalized
Like they have one local govt

Untill you bring prove to claim its your soup

You can run away freely and not argue with 7local govt people
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Thats why igbos are always waste of time in nigeria

A tribe full of pain, constantly marginalized
Like they have one local govt

Untill you bring prove to claim its your soup

You can run away freely and not argue with 7local govt people

Next
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Still same thing.

Binis are yorubas

Yorubas are edos...

All na still same and one people. Both are same and one people.

Tell the igbos they have no fucking right to clain eguisi

Egusi plant were bought by the Portuguese from asia and didn't magically grow in the east

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 5:04pm On Mar 16, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Seriously?
Yess
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Yujin(m): 5:26pm On Mar 19, 2020
gregyboy:

Tell the igbos they have no fucking right to clain eguisi

Egusi plant were bought by the Portuguese from asia and didn't magically grow in the east
Your ignorance is without measure. Do you know that there are different species of melons? Do you know that not all melons have fine seeds that are eventually used for making the soup? Would you say because coconut tree- a family of the palm tree was introduced to West Africa, therefore all palm trees weren't indigenous? Where in Asia is Egwusi soup cooked traditionally? That the Igbos cook it traditionally for over 3 centuries gives them the right to claim ownership of it notwithstanding whether melon was introduced to West Africa or not. Amala is a derivative of yam which is very diversified in West and Central Africa, yet Yorubas reserve the right to claim ownership of it because only them utilized the particular process of making it. Do you understand?

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 7:52pm On Mar 19, 2020
Yujin:

Your ignorance is without measure. Do you know that there are different species of melons? Do you know that not all melons have fine seeds that are eventually used for making the soup? Would you say because coconut tree- a family of the palm tree was introduced to West Africa, therefore all palm trees weren't indigenous? Where in Asia is Egwusi soup cooked traditionally? That the Igbos cook it traditionally for over 3 centuries gives them the right to claim ownership of it notwithstanding whether melon was introduced to West Africa or not. Amala is a derivative of yam which is very diversified in West and Central Africa, yet Yorubas reserve the right to claim ownership of it because only them utilized the particular process of making it. Do you understand?

Guy am edo,

I will invite you to were the Benin offer food to his ancestors and you will attest that egusi and pounded yam is a benin food

The benin people have three original soup unique to them fortunately one became generalized egusi and pounded

Egisi soup
Black soup
Cotton soup

Cotton soup have been aborted from the edo food it just remaining the other two

And do you know the people that eat thesame soup as the edo people are the ondo people
I was surprised wgen i went to ondo last year and they told me they have black soup(bitter leaf soup) and egisi too

Like i said the only people who are entitled
To claim egusi is edo and eastern yoruba people

Igbos should forget it, it was never thiers all our cultures in benin have been generalized atleast what we can get is acknowledgment to the benin people, egusi maybe an igbo world for the soup but it does not connote it origin of any kind to the igbo people we call it melon soup and the benin word ogi, its foreigners that call it egusi soup here

Egusi

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Yujin(m): 8:34pm On Mar 19, 2020
gregyboy:

Guy am edo,

I will invite you to were the Benin offer food to his ancestors and you will attest that egusi and pounded yam is a benin food

The benin people have three original soup unique to them fortunately one became generalized egusi and pounded

Egisi soup
Black soup
Cotton soup

And do you know the people that eat thesame soup as the edo people are the ondo people
I was surprised wgen i went to ondo last year and they told me they have black soup(bitter leaf soup) and egisi too

Igbos should forget it, it was never thiers all our cultures in benin have been generalized atleast what we can get is acknowledgment to the benin people, egusi maybe an igbo world for the soup but it does not connote it origin of any kind to the igbo people we call it melon soup and the benin word ogi, its foreigners that call it egusi soup here

Egusi
Are you saying Igbos learnt about Egwusi from Edo(Bini) people? That you offer pounded yam and Egwusi soup to idols doesn't make you the sole owner of the food. Lol. So it equally means we learnt how to pound yam from Edo people too. Gregyboy, you sound so much like a kid. You should be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the now popular egusi soup was originally bini traditional soup to convince anyone.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Yujin(m): 8:43pm On Mar 19, 2020
Initially, I didn't want to respond to your ignorance but I later changed my mind. As for the tuber crop introduced by the Portuguese, cassava is the highly successful one not yam. Just Google it and you will get your answer. Akpu- a cassava derivative is today accredited to the Igbos no doubt but other tribes eat various derivatives too. Before the advent of cassava, yam and cocoyam(ede) was the main staple of the Igbos. They made pounded yam and pounded cocoyam to eat with their various soups including egwusi. My grandmum told me that even up to 1940s, pounded cocoyam was eaten with soup in my family. Today, lots of Igbos don't know this. Stop disturbing us with your ignorance. Before delving into such topics, do a thorough investigation and invite people to discuss your findings.
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 11:26pm On Mar 19, 2020
Yujin:

Are you saying Igbos learnt about Egwusi from Edo(Bini) people? That you offer pounded yam and Egwusi soup to idols doesn't make you the sole owner of the food. Lol. So it equally means we learnt how to pound yam from Edo people too. Gregyboy, you sound so much like a kid. You should be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the now popular egusi soup was originally bini traditional soup to convince anyone.

You have no proves lemme break it down

Egusi soup is most eating in southern part of nigeria, in d southern part of Nigeria only part of yorubas, edo and igbos claims egusi soup though it a general food eating in southern nigeria the other part of the yorubas dont lay claims to having egusi soup, just the eastern part of yorubas close to edo
The edo and the eastern yoruba eat almost same meal drom black soup to egusi due to cultural ties, the igbos are the aliens here they both dont share any cultural link between the edo or yorubas the nearest neigbours to the east dont even lay claim to egusi if its true they had been eating egusi since inception they might have influenced thier neigbours from niger delta region

Egusi is never an igbo soup so drop it

If it was never original to the edos then they will never use it for religious purpose in edo

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 11:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
Yujin:

. Guy there is no culture that cannot be adopted igbos adopted so many culture in the present nigeria to form theirs including pounded yam

Igbos never had woox carvers to carve out mortal and pistol for pounding did they benin had an ancient guils system called egbesama( wood carvers) in acient benin

I would never take igbo culture serious because they are all borrowed

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by AmuDimpka: 7:28am On Mar 20, 2020
Yoruba tat doesn't even have a meaning a tribe that was named by Fulani (Yoruba) and have everything borrowed from their dressing which they copies the Fulani to their names.....

Egwusi is an Igbo word
Okwro is an Igbo word
Ugu is an Igbo word
Ube is an Igbo word
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 7:36am On Mar 20, 2020
AmuDimpka:
Yoruba tat doesn't even have a meaning a tribe that was named by Fulani (Yoruba) and have everything borrowed from their dressing which they copies the Fulani to their names.....

Egwusi is an Igbo word
Okwro is an Igbo word
Ugu is an Igbo word
Ube is an Igbo word

And by that you belive they own it
Because the names of those food are igbo names and are now generalized word it now means the other tribes don't have the words for them abi
How pathetic,

They all have igbo names so also they have thier various names in other various tribe the igbos name for them became generalized does notconnate it origin

If you have to claims those crops there you have to start from thier origin and not just naming

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Yujin(m): 8:23am On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Egusi soup is most eating in southern part of nigeria, in d southern part of Nigeria only part of yorubas, edo and igbos claims egusi soup though it a general food eating in southern nigeria the other part of the yorubas dont lay claims to having egusi soup, just the eastern part of yorubas close to edo
The edo and the eastern yoruba eat almost same meal drom black soup to egusi due to cultural ties, the igbos are the aliens here they both dont share any cultural link between the edo or yorubas the nearest neigbours to the east dont even lay claim to egusi if its true they had been eating egusi since inception they might have influenced thier neigbours from niger delta region

If it was never original to the edos then they will never use it for religious purpose in edo
Your ignorance stink. All traditional worshippers use schnapps hotdrink for libations; does it mean they originally owned it? Oha soup is traditionally ours still non of our neighbors prepared it all along too. Igbos own Egwusi soup and have different methods of preparing it so much that they still rule over its sales the world over. Why not your Edo people and any other tribe do a contest with the Igbos on egwusi soup preparation. Obviously, you know you'll lose flatly.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Yujin(m): 9:05am On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

. Guy there is no culture that cannot be adopted igbos adopted so many culture in the present nigeria to form theirs including pounded yam

Igbos never had woox carvers to carve out mortal and pistol for pounding did they benin had an ancient guils system called egbesama( wood carvers) in acient benin

I would never take igbo culture serious because they are all borrowed
Your last paragraph is an insult but I won't respond in kind on all Edo people because I respect their history. You unfortunately are a spoilt brat with not respect and devoid of any sense of anthropology. So, it was the Bini people that taught Igbos wood carving? You'll say it was the Bini that taught Igbos palmoil extraction that usual mortars and pestle for the process. Our masquerade masks were carved by the Binis right? What about your traditional market days; isn't it the Igbos you got it from? If you must argue, don't disrespect us again.

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 10:03am On Mar 20, 2020
Yujin:

Your last paragraph is an insult but I won't respond in kind on all Edo people because I respect their history. You unfortunately are a spoilt brat with not respect and devoid of any sense of anthropology. So, it was the Bini people that taught Igbos wood carving? You'll say it was the Bini that taught Igbos palmoil extraction that usual mortars and pestle for the process. Our masquerade masks were carved by the Binis right? What about your traditional market days; isn't it the Igbos you got it from? If you must argue, don't disrespect us again.

Palm oil extractions was done by the Europeans africans supplied europeans the palm oil nut
Oil extractions, tho some africans extracted most didnt they sold the palm fruit to the Europeans to extract the igobs adopted
Mortal and pistol recently unless you want to take me to the wood carvers in the east that had made them....
Cultures is borrowed the east borrowed so many

Untill you prove me wrong

The red coral beads from benin that is been generalized today in southern part of nigeria would you say it comes from igbos because igbos wear it too

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 11:02am On Mar 20, 2020
Yujin:

Your ignorance stink. All traditional worshippers use schnapps hotdrink for libations; does it mean they originally owned it? Oha soup is traditionally ours still non of our neighbors prepared it all along too. Igbos own Egwusi soup and have different methods of preparing it so much that they still rule over its sales the world over. Why not your Edo people and any other tribe do a contest with the Igbos on egwusi soup preparation. Obviously, you know you'll lose flatly.

Lol, you write ups are just full claims with no evidence back them up you tell me the east prepares egusi in varieties so does that make them own it

Schnapo is a whiteman gin introduced to africans by europeans the drink of an african was palmwine, it is clearly stated in history books Portuguese had brought schnapps (gins) to benins in exchange of local products little wonder why the niger delta are into schnapps than drink beer the other tribes who started using schnapps recdntly adopted it because they never had contact with the white untill recently when the britsh arrived.....

Dont drag it egusi is not igbo it more edo and yoruba that it will ever be igbo

Pumkin plant if research is carfied may be sven foreign to africa regardless of that pumkin is a plant that is grown in nigeria but igbos word for it
Ugu that does not connate it origin originate from igbos

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by agadez007(m): 12:31pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Palm oil extractions was done by the Europeans africans supplied europeans the palm oil nut
Oil extractions, tho some africans extracted most didnt they sold the palm fruit to the Europeans to extract the igobs adopted
Mortal and pistol recently unless you want to take me to the wood carvers in the east that had made them....
Cultures is borrowed the east borrowed so many

Untill you prove me wrong

The red coral beads from benin that is been generalized today in southern part of nigeria would you say it comes from igbos because igbos wear it too
Nobody knows one bini soup,stop stressing yourself
at least a 10 year kid can name 3 different igbo soups apart from Egusi self,what is even the bini National dish?

You guys don't know how to cook,stick to worshipping your Oba and leave matter dey you no nothing about for mattias

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by letu(m): 12:44pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Guinea you make reference to its a Portuguese colony
I doubt if the whole of west africa was once recognized as guniea because the Portuguese had made reference to benin and other places as early as 15century
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin gregyboy this thing you're smoking is wonderfully abnormally fantastic, keep smoking and keep talking trash.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by letu(m): 1:07pm On Mar 20, 2020
RedboneSmith:

It will actually cost you nothing (except a little data) to go online yourself and look at the copious number of research work and literature on the origin and domestication of D. cayensis and D. rotundata.

Don't be intellectually lazy.
RedboneSmith, the boy you're referring to is a lost cause a hard core devotee of Eurocentric school of thought inwhich this Eurocentric view has done a lot of damages to his brain, that's why his reasoning like this but when it comes to helping people like him it will take that person (a group that are willing to help) more than a million years to succeed.
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by letu(m): 1:25pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Guy am edo,

Egisi soup
Black soup
Cotton soup

Egusi
Based on your logic, all right of ownership should go to the Portuguese and not the Benin since according to you that every thing that has to do with yam and melon in Benin started with the Portuguese introducing it to Benin people also from your logic, without the Portuguese doing so there won't be any egusi and pounded yam for your gods. grin grin grin grin grin this gregyboy wonder shall never end.
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by letu(m): 1:39pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Boy stop all this noise, as Benin boy that your claiming you should be thanking the Portuguese for bringing yam and melon to Benin because if they didn't grin grin grin grin grin grin grin that means no pounded yam and melon (egusi soup) for you. Benin and Igbo have a different history and origin of things.
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by letu(m): 1:51pm On Mar 20, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Egwusi is an Igbo word
Okwro is an Igbo word
Ugu is an Igbo word
Ube is an Igbo word
smiley smiley Just wait for him to come and start spinning/blowing things out of proportion as usual with story of how
(1) Portuguese first introduce Okwro to Benin people,
(2) Imported Ugu from the kingdom of Himmalayan's
(3) Ube from Tagikistan.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Yujin(m): 2:02pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, you write ups are just full claims with no evidence back them up you tell me the east prepares egusi in varieties so does that make them own it

Schnapo is a whiteman gin introduced to africans by europeans the drink of an african was palmwine, it is clearly stated in history books Portuguese had brought schnapps (gins) to benins in exchange of local products little wonder why the niger delta are into schnapps than drink beer the other tribes who started using schnapps recdntly adopted it because they never had contact with the white untill recently when the britsh arrived.....

Dont drag it egusi is not igbo it more edo and yoruba that it will ever be igbo

Pumkin plant if research is carfied may be sven foreign to africa regardless of that pumkin is a plant that is grown in nigeria but igbos word for it
Ugu that does not connate it origin originate from igbos
If my write-up is full of claims, what are yours full of? Facts? I won't waste my time on you because you're highly ignorant. Today, egwusi soup is accredited to Igbos and we proudly flaunt its ownership. You can shout from now till forever, without any solid facts to prove otherwise, you're merely wasting your time.
On Ugu, pumpkin leaves have been with us for long and we've been using it judiciously. Whatever you say doesn't change the fact that ugu is associated with Igbos just like the moringa (kuka) leaves are associated with the Hausas. No Bini soup is popular. You've to worry why this is so and not come here trying to claim our popular egwusi soup. Lol
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 2:11pm On Mar 20, 2020
Yujin:

If my write-up is full of claims, what are yours full of? Facts? I won't waste my time on you because you're highly ignorant. Today, egwusi soup is accredited to Igbos and we proudly flaunt its ownership. You can shout from now till forever, without any solid facts to prove otherwise, you're merely wasting your time.
On Ugu, pumpkin leaves have been with us for long and we've been using it judiciously. Whatever you say doesn't change the fact that ugu is associated with Igbos just like the moringa (kuka) leaves are associated with the Hausas. No Bini soup is popular. You've to worry why this is so and not come here trying to claim our popular egwusi soup. Lol

Whatever suit you.....
Is a fact all igbo cultures were borrowed and never unique to them

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by AmuDimpka: 4:02pm On Mar 20, 2020
letu:
smiley smiley Just wait for him to come and start spinning/blowing things out of proportion as usual with story of how
(1) Portuguese first introduce Okwro to Benin people,
(2) Imported Ugu from the kingdom of Himmalayan's
(3) Ube from Tagikistan.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am.used to their revisionism....if they can say that Oduduwa came from sky with no parachute holding chicken...then they can do anything
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by AmuDimpka: 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Whatever suit you.....
Is a fact all igbo cultures were borrowed and never unique to them

Benin is a minority tribe heavily influenced by Igbo via eze chima amd Nri priest ... We introduced how to count days to them via 4 market days and a whole lot plus Smith's works
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by AmuDimpka: 4:19pm On Mar 20, 2020
letu:
Boy stop all this noise, as Benin boy that your claiming you should be thanking the Portuguese for bringing yam and melon to Benin because if they didn't grin grin grin grin grin grin grin that means no pounded yam and melon (egusi soup) for you. Benin and Igbo have a different history and origin of things.

The Edo call their melon soup Ikhiavbo soup, which is the Edo version........

EGUSI SOUP IS PURELY THE ACCEPTED IGBO VERSION OF THE SOUP

why do we argue
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Kennyswag: 8:06pm On Mar 20, 2020
AmuDimpka:

The Edo call their melon soup Ikhiavbo soup, which is the Edo version........

EGUSI SOUP IS PURELY THE ACCEPTED IGBO VERSION OF THE SOUP

why do we argue
egusi is not an igbo soup.. ode

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by AmuDimpka: 7:27am On Mar 21, 2020
Kennyswag:
egusi is not an igbo soup.. ode
oponu it's Igbo word

Ezi

Tomorrow you say oh ogbono isn't Igbo or ugu isn't Igbo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / The Beauty Of Agbor Town[photos] / Who Are The True Lagosians? The Yorubas, Igbos Or The Benins?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.