Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? (629 Views)

Am I Being Paranoid? Please Help Me / How Do You Cope If Married To Someone You Don't Love? / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Saintdan0421(m): 6:24pm On Mar 14, 2020
My dad over 70 years+ is a perfectionist,in my whole life i've never seen any mean human like him, this is a man you can never please. He finds fault in everything you do. In short he's a saddist.
Growing up was hell with him, hardly would a week pass without him quarreling with my mum (his wife) and raining insults on her, sometimes it get physical.
Well, i earlier believed that as he aged, he'll change but to no avail cause he is now worst.
Sitting him down advising him as well as praying for him has no effect on him.
Has any one experienced this? Pls share your views and profound solutions if you got one.
Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Mindlog: 6:29pm On Mar 14, 2020
At his age, there is nothing much that can be done. Just make provisions for your mum to spend time away from him, intermittently.
Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Saintdan0421(m): 6:38pm On Mar 14, 2020
Mindlog:
At his age, there is nothing much that can be done. Just make provisions for your mum to spend time away from him, intermittently.
Don't think my mum will want to do this now after enduring all these years.
Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by izzou(m): 6:45pm On Mar 14, 2020
Have you sat down to discuss this attitude of his with him?

Maybe a past experience is affecting him psychologically.

Some people are mean, because they grow up with people who were always mean to them.

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Saintdan0421(m): 6:54pm On Mar 14, 2020
izzou:

Some people are mean, because they grow up with people who were always mean to them.

Have done that on several occasions. Beginning to think it's a mental issue.
izzou:
[color=royalblue]Have you sat down to discuss this attitude of his with him?

Have done that on several occasions. Beginning to think it's a mental issue.[/color]
izzou:

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by HarunaWest(m): 7:01pm On Mar 14, 2020
Mindlog:
So it's now his mum and not her husband..See a yeye talk from a supposed child..If you are rejected like this at your old age, how would you feel? They have grown old together and they are still together.. If she needed space, she could have at some poing.Leave them alone.. Some people just don't change whatever you think is a bad habit cos to them, it's not..Face front

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by izzou(m): 7:05pm On Mar 14, 2020
Saintdan0421:

It could be.

Just keep showing him love and care. When he flares up, don't raise your voice either. Just be calm and always assure him everything is under control

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by peacefulhome(f): 7:26pm On Mar 14, 2020
Some people are born to act that way . Nothing can be done, it the way they have been created.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by DaInferno(m): 7:32pm On Mar 14, 2020
HarunaWest:
So it's now his mum and not her husband..See a yeye talk from a supposed child..If you are rejected like this at your old age, how would you feel? They have grown old together and they are still together.. If she needed space, she could have at some poing.Leave them alone.. Some people just don't change whatever you think is a bad habit cos to them, it's not..Face front
your are no different from the father... whether mum or wife, what's wrong with that, you self must you analyse to find fault

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by LadySarah: 7:38pm On Mar 14, 2020
Make your mum happy n comfortable that's all. Make sure he never raises hands on her.

He can never change at this stage.
Those who support the man's behavior should kindly read my signature.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Saintdan0421(m): 8:14pm On Mar 14, 2020
LadySarah:
Make your mum happy n comfortable that's all. Make sure he never raises hands on her.

He can never change at this stage.
Those who support the man's behavior should kindly read my signature.
Tnxs ma'am
Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Mindlog: 8:27pm On Mar 14, 2020
Saintdan0421:

Tnxs ma'am

With what you shared in your first post, there is high marker that your Dad's perfectionism is an indication of Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD). Go read it up.
Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Saintdan0421(m): 9:23pm On Mar 14, 2020
Mindlog:

With what you shared in your first post, there is high marker that your Dad's perfectionism is an indication of Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD). Go read it up.

Just had a quick skimming of the afforementioned disorder.
Well said, he exhibits over 75% xtics of the OCPD.
Re: How Do You Cope With A PARANOID Father? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Mar 14, 2020
They hardly change.
People around them just adapt.
Funny enough, they are very emotional.

They always attract and marry meek ladies who will tolerate their excesses.

As he is getting older, try and make his life easier for him even if he is driving you crazy.

Ur takeaway is not behaving like him.
I applaud your mum. She is an Amazon.

(1) (Reply)

Between Airtel And Glo Subscription Which One Will You Go For? / The Last Word I Heard From Vivian Before She Died, Mother Of Raped Uniben Studen / What Are the vital Lessons You Have Learnt In Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.