Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Explain Well And Get Paid - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Explain Well And Get Paid (379 Views)

NO REGISTRATION FEE: Get Paid To Read News / When You Are Asked To Explain Your Experience In A Nigerian Boarding School / Almajiri Read Drug Notice And Explain It Uses I Was Socked! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Explain Well And Get Paid by Makavelli25: 10:46am On Mar 16, 2020
Who can tell me the easiest way to get than the stress pattern of a word
E.g choose the appropriate stress pattern for
.Comfortable.
A)COMfortable
B)comFORtable.

how do u answer such questions
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by JafunmiFX: 10:48am On Mar 16, 2020
Makavelli25:
Re phrase your question
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by Makavelli25: 10:53am On Mar 16, 2020
JafunmiFX:
Re phrase your question
Post had been modified
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by chipsypop(m): 11:08am On Mar 16, 2020
A. The high tone is in COM
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by JafunmiFX: 11:42am On Mar 16, 2020
The stressed part is 'COMfortable

When you try to pronunce it, the first part Com requires an high pitch tone, while the rest are lower pitch tone
Try pronuncing it like this... Comfortable, Comfortable, Comfortable...you will notice that your voice is a bit raised in the Com part...the same rule applies to other words..exmp

"London: Lon is pronunce with raised voice, while don is low

'Baboon: Ba is pronunce with an high pitch voice, Ba is the stressed word

When trying to figure out questions like that...you should focus on the part where your voice is more raised, the part that is produced with extra energy, is the stress

Peace!
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by Melison(m): 11:48am On Mar 16, 2020
COMfortable is the appropriate one
The above poster got it right cos when pronounced ur voice is stressed at the beginning, COM then reduces as it goes further,I no be English teacher or student
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by davidinchrist(m): 2:02pm On Mar 16, 2020
Makavelli25:
.Comfortable.
A)COMfortable
B)comFORtable.

Actually, it's COMFtable /kʌmftəbəl/, also VEGtable /vedʒtəbəl/ː removing the O and E respectively in contemporary English pronunciation. Concerning the stress, one simple method that works most times is using the MI and DO (Yoruba signs). So, whichever syllable of a word that takes the MI sound is stressed. Examples: TEAcher - MI-DO; imPORtant - DO-MI-DO...
Get it?

Peace be with you.
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 16, 2020
Makavelli25:
.Comfortable.
A)COMfortable
B)comFORtable.

The answer is A. It is pronounced as COMfortable because COM carries the stress.
You will know these because it is more longer and louder than others. It also uses larger facial movement and more clear than others. It also has a change in pitch from the syllables coming afterwards.
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by Makavelli25: 7:01pm On Mar 16, 2020
davidinchrist:

Actually, it's COMFtable /kʌmftəbəl/, also VEGtable /vedʒtəbəl/ː removing the O and E respectively in contemporary English pronunciation. Concerning the stress, one simple method that works most times is using the MI and DO (Yoruba signs). So, whichever syllable of a word that takes the MI sound is stressed. Examples: TEAcher - MI-DO; imPORtant - DO-MI-DO...
Get it?

Peace be with you.
what of beatitude
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by davidinchrist(m): 7:43pm On Mar 16, 2020
Makavelli25:
what of beatitude
/biːˈætɪtjuːd/ be-A-ti-tude; the stress is on 'A': do-MI-do-do. Please note that using the signs, MI-DO, is not the perfect way to master stress: just the basic method, particularly to help students and all. Personally, I prefer using the dictionary: audio function, phonetic symbols and stress signs (' & ‚) to learn.
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by Makavelli25: 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2020
davidinchrist:

/biːˈætɪtjuːd/ be-A-ti-tude; the stress is on 'A': do-MI-do-do. Please note that using the signs, MI-DO, is not the perfect way to master stress: just the basic method, particularly to help students and all. Personally, I prefer using the dictionary: audio function, phonetic symbols and stress signs (' & ‚) to learn.
i beg teach me how to do mi do
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by davidinchrist(m): 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2020
Makavelli25:
i beg teach me how to do mi do
Please, read the first post again as well as the next...
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by Makavelli25: 8:58pm On Mar 16, 2020
davidinchrist:
Please, read the first post again as well as the next...
I beg na
Re: Explain Well And Get Paid by davidinchrist(m): 9:16pm On Mar 16, 2020
Makavelli25:
I beg na

(1) (Reply)

Sketch 64 Mac Serial Number / Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness / Do You Know You Can Get Answer To Square Root Of Surds Without Working?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.