Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness (375 Views)

Ned Nwoko's Stars University, Idumuje-Ugboko Nears Completion (Video) / Why Do Fish Fall From The Sky When It Rains? / Video: Unn Students Riot For Not Having Light In Their Hotels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Kingloba20(m): 7:53pm On Apr 28, 2020
Hi everyone, especially the astronomers

I have very big question to ask, something we all need to learn...

Why re the stars in the sky have the same brightness at night? like, look up to the sky right now, you will see there are different stars but different brightness?
Some people believe that its the stars of the Rich and wealthy people that are bright and the one for the poor are low.
how true is this? please enlighten us!
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by bid4rich(m): 7:57pm On Apr 28, 2020
Young man, though there are many stars in the sky but based on my understanding and some little research I carried out I was made to understand that the bright stars you thought you are seeing in the night sky are not actually stars but planets in our solar system and their moons.

For example, the brightest one in the night sky that looks like satellite is planet Venus and it's due to its proximity and it's closeness to the sun.

Remember, a moon does not have a light of its own but to align itself to a particular angle reflecting the light of the sun. So also the planets.

For example, when you look up, you will see one of the supposed star that looks like red, my dear, that is Mars (the red planet) and the next red is Jupiter (the biggest planet in our solar system).

Conclusively, the other faint ones are stars and they are trillions of miles away from the farthest planets. I think this helps a little

3 Likes

Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by risos(m): 7:57pm On Apr 28, 2020
YouTube and google will explain in details.
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Karlifate: 7:58pm On Apr 28, 2020
They are of different distance(s) from the earth. Therefore, their brightness differs.
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Agarli(m): 8:04pm On Apr 28, 2020
Serving different purposes, 5G star will shine brighter than 4G... Sun brightness is sharper than others, shebi all of them na stars .... Nobody should roast me o
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Hoseaovo(m): 8:04pm On Apr 28, 2020
Di you know that stars dies too. The closer they get to their demise, the lesser the brightness. Take for a example a burning stick, the flames shines less brighter as it burns down till you only find the the dark light of coal and finally it burns off and gives you a dark coal. Stars dies too. They shine less as they approach their end. My ignorant opinion though
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by captainking(m): 8:07pm On Apr 28, 2020
I also read that some of the stars we see are already dead and that we see it at the moment means the light just got to earth
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by babseg(m): 8:09pm On Apr 28, 2020
Kingloba20:
Hi everyone, especially the astronomers

I have very big question to ask, something we all need to learn...

Why re the stars in the sky have the same brightness at night? like, look up to the sky right now, you will see there are different stars but different brightness?
Some people believe that its the stars of the Rich and wealthy people that are bright and the one for the poor are low.
how true is this? please enlighten us!

Are you an astronomer or a star reader. Astronomers dont say rich and wealthy people star shines brighter than any other.

No they dont have the same brightness. Our sun is a star. I will leave you to reason and figure the rest out.
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Kingloba20(m): 8:14pm On Apr 28, 2020
babseg:

Are you an astronomer or a star reader. Astronomers dont say rich and wealthy people star shines brighter than any other.

No they dont have the same brightness. Our sun is a star. I will leave you to reason and figure the rest out.
No am not an astronomer, I'm just curious to know what it means.
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by babseg(m): 8:18pm On Apr 28, 2020
Kingloba20:

No am not an astronomer, I'm just curious to know what it means.

Alright
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Glorymax: 8:22pm On Apr 28, 2020
Yes, their distances away from the earth is one reason as stated in some comments above. Other reasons includes the Star's age. As Stars age and live out their life span, their luminosity reduces as well. Then depending on the size of the Star, they age and become Red Giant or White Dwarf.

Note that the the brightest object on night sky is Planet Venus. Sometimes when there are no visible Stars, you can still see it even before darkness covers the sky or early morning

Note also that our own Sun is a Star as well named Sun. Each stellar object has a name
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Glorymax: 8:59pm On Apr 28, 2020
captainking:
I also read that some of the stars we see are already dead and that we see it at the moment means the light just got to earth

Yes, that is the fact. Distances in Astronomy are measured in LIGHT YEARS and PARSEC, aside the Earth - Moon distance which is 1 Astronomical Unit.
A Light year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one year (find out the value), while Parsec is the distance from Earth for a Stellar Parallax of 1 second of arc. 1 Parsec is equivalent to 3.252 light years

1 Like

Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by Leun: 9:18pm On Apr 28, 2020
Space Satellite
Re: Why Are STARS Light In The Sky Are Not Having Same Brightness by AngryIgboMan: 3:22am On Apr 29, 2020

(1) (Reply)

. / Does Middle Name Matter? / 10 Things You Don't Know About The Most Populous Primary School In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.