Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? (4060 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Celebrate Whenever A Leader Dies ? / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions / Why Do Nigerians View Hard Work As 'suffering'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by GNaija: 10:39pm On Dec 23, 2010
Prof. Chan OBE, during his interview with GNTV, said the Chinese know more about Africa than Africa knows about the Chinese and suggested Africans learn chinese, so they can understand what the Chinese are saying in secret.

http://greatnigeria.tv/video/171/The-Bottom-Line-Professor-Stephen-Chan-OBE
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by Emmyk(m): 11:45pm On Dec 23, 2010
Lol like wenishi nnkochi nyen rhaaaaaa Ha! I laugh in chinese.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by GNaija: 12:14am On Dec 24, 2010
This isn't a laughing matter. Nigerians need to proactive, rather than reactive. The western world, despite their development and wealth, are learning Chinese to give them an advantage when seeking and negotiating new business opportunities with China. Africa, on the other hand, has only 5 universities that teach Chinese.

We need to wake up quickly and learn how the world works.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by invisible2(m): 12:27am On Dec 24, 2010
GNaija:

This isn't a laughing matter. Nigerians need to proactive, rather than reactive. The western world, despite their development and wealth, are learning Chinese to give them an advantage when seeking and negotiating new business opportunities with China. Africa, on the other hand, has only 5 universities that teach Chinese.

We need to wake up quickly and learn how the world works.

I didnt read the part where Chinese nationals are lining up to learn Housa? We need not go for re-colonialism.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by GNaija: 12:32am On Dec 24, 2010
When Hausaland becomes the fastest growing and second largest economy in the world, trust me, Oyibo people will be rushing to learn Hausa. Open your mind and learn to think and behave like the rich man does if you want to be rich.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by invisible2(m): 12:43am On Dec 24, 2010
GNaija:

When Hausaland becomes the fastest growing and second largest economy in the world, trust me, Oyibo people will be rushing to learn Hausa. Open your mind and learn to think and behave like the rich man does if you want to be rich.

Oh yeah? Its this type of psychological pros-titu-tion that got us in this quagmire we are now, so because China became the 2nd largest economy, we dump our English and learn China, next we will be rushing to learn Arabic because Dubai is growing, and learning Russian language next. We call this strategic inconsistency.
Why didnt you suggest we shift to communism next just to imitate the coughing style of a rich man.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by GNaija: 12:51am On Dec 24, 2010
You have missed the point. Nobody is saying you should change Nigeria's national language from English to Chinese. That is not necessary. However, the government should add Chinese to the list of languages studied in schools, universities, especially on courses like international relations, international business etc, so that Nigeria would have a significant number of people who can speak Chinese fluently and give Nigeria an advantage.

America, UK etc have not changed their language from English, have they? No, but they have children as young at 5 learning Chinese because they are thinking strategically.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by rebranded(m): 1:55am On Dec 24, 2010
Ni Hao grin

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by disnaijguy: 2:22am On Dec 24, 2010
Oh yeah? Its this type of psychological pros-titu-tion that got us in this quagmire we are now, so because China became the 2nd largest economy, we dump our English and learn China, next we will be rushing to learn Arabic because Dubai is growing, and learning Russian language next. We call this strategic inconsistency.
Why didnt you suggest we shift to communism next just to imitate the coughing style of a rich man.

Are you serious? First of all I don't see how the phrase "psychological prostitution" makes any sense. Secondly, did you even bother to watch the interview in question? The man highlighted the fact that only 5 universities in Africa teach Chinese. Meanwhile China is currently Africa's most significant trading partner. How can the trade balance between Nigeria and China be favourable towards Nigeria if we hardly understand what they're saying during the trade negotiations. Learning Chinese is not a "strategic inconsistency" as you put it. It is a simple business strategy that gives us that extra edge during our trade negotiations with China. It is only important because of our relationship with them.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 7:09am On Dec 24, 2010
Dude i subscribe to this idea 100%, we need to start learning Chinese ASAP. Infact it's too late for that to be a proactive measure. Do you know i saw almost a dozen Chinese students in BUK, kano recently, studying ? They are proactive, we would only be reacting.

As things stand right now , China has a reserve some where near 2 trillion dollars, we have to be advertising our selves so we can get some of that as FDI as they look for where to use that.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 7:15am On Dec 24, 2010
This is kind of silly, and I used to see it a lot in the US. Lots of American students learn Chinese because the Chinese are growing significantly in influence in terms of business and such. However, the joke is on them because the Chinese are learning english lol, so that they can integrate into a more globalized economy where english is the most important language.

You guys should first master English b4 you learn chinese. Do you know how hard chinese is? It needs years of hardwork and dedication before you can even say a few words, not to talk of fluently speaking the language. Most lazy Nigerians cannot even learn the alphabet not to talk of the whole language.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 7:57am On Dec 24, 2010
This is kind of silly, and I used to see it a lot  in the US. Lots of American students learn  Chinese because the Chinese are growing  significantly in influence in terms of business  and such. However, the joke is on them  because the Chinese are learning english lol,  so that they can integrate into a more  globalized economy where english is the most important language. You guys should first master English b4  you  learn chinese. Do you know how hard chinese  is? It needs years of hardwork and dedication  before you can even say a few words, not to  talk of fluently speaking the language. Most  lazy Nigerians cannot even learn the alphabet not to talk of the whole language.

That's the type of spirit the black man needs to drag himself out of the whole he's found himself. We actually believe we are too dumb to learn another language(which 7 year olds can speak, read and write). Ride on brother.

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 8:08am On Dec 24, 2010
@SEfago FYI, many Nigerians already speak Chinese , may be not proficiently but atleast they speak. Nigerian Air-Force Engineers who receive training in China hav to take a language course for about a year b4 they start engineering proper.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 8:08am On Dec 24, 2010
^ black man ko, white man ni. Chinese is a very difficult language to learn if you are not a native speaker. Its not an affair of being black. One of my friends actually took chinese for three years and he is Nigerian. But he spent a lot of time studyig the basics, and he is not fluent.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by Kx: 8:10am On Dec 24, 2010
So all the ikpisha, ikpisha Bruce Lee, "Jackie" Chan and co taught us never do?
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 8:11am On Dec 24, 2010
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 8:20am On Dec 24, 2010
Posted by: SEFAGO ^ black man ko, white man ni. Chinese is a very difficult language to learn if you are not a native speaker. Its not an affair of being black. One of my friends actually took chinese for three years and he is Nigerian. But he spent a lot of time studyig the basics, and he is not fluent

All Chinese must be geniuses i guess, going by your logic. I just told you the Nigerian Military trains some me it's engineers in China and you're still going on about difficult to learn. And who needs to be fluent in Chinese ?
Are the Chinese themselves fluent in English ? All one needs is a basic knowledge in the language to be able to conduct a reasonable exchange.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by rasputinn(m): 8:30am On Dec 24, 2010
Of course,China is the fastest growing economy in the world and the destination of choice for almost all businesses now,so we need to learn some ni hao,wincha chaoo bullshit cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 8:33am On Dec 24, 2010
edoyad:

All Chinese must be geniuses i guess, going by your logic. I just told you the Nigerian Military trains some me it's engineers in China and you're still going on about difficult to learn. And who needs to be fluent in Chinese ?
Are the Chinese themselves fluent in English ? All one needs is a basic knowledge in the language to be able to conduct a reasonable exchange.

Retardation upon retardation. You are comparing the learning process of a native speaker, who is taught the language before his or her brain has fully formed to the learning process of an adult whose linguistic capabilities are fully formed. I have met tons of people of people who have being taking chinese for 4-5 years and they cannot speak it. I know a native cantonese speaker who is still taking mandarin chinese, and has been taking it for 3 years and she is still not good.

Chinese people aim for fluency when learning english. However trying to aim for the same parallel level of fluency in chinese is very difficult. I repeat it would take years of practise. There is a limit to how much "Ni hao" can take you.

I attempted to learn Mandarin Chinese whilst at college. After the short four month course was over, I could remember how to say "thankyou", and "I am a Japanese". It was just too hard for me to use Pinyin and pronounce the words correctly, as the tonal variations of the languages were hard to get right. I now study Japanese, and it's easier by far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4617646.stm
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 8:37am On Dec 24, 2010

How basic. This is your statement:

@SEfago FYI, many Nigerians already speak Chinese , may be not proficiently but atleast they speak. Nigerian Air-Force Engineers who receive training in China hav to take a language course for about a year b4 they start engineering proper.

You said Nigerians speak chinese. Well how did they learn it? If you mean Nigerians who lived in china for a long time that makes sense. But learning chinese in an academic setting is difficult. And can they speak it at least enough to get by? I took french for years and I am fairly smart, but cannot even take it to the conversational level with native french speakers.

TBH you are not making any sense. No one learns a decent amount of chinese in one year. People from hong kong and macau would think you are crazy for making such a statement
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by Kx: 8:37am On Dec 24, 2010
Come to think of it.

If the whole essence of learning the chinese language is to enhance china/nigeria business relationship.

Will it be out of place for the minister to recommend that nigeria take the giant infrastractural strides that china took and became the hub of the world international trade theirby attracting buyers to its market instead of advising nigerians to learn the language in order to continue with this mad rush to importing all that could be supported locally to produce?
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 8:42am On Dec 24, 2010
@SEDAGO, your case is hopeless. I told you the Nigerian Airforce trains some of it's engineering personnel in China, and all you do is bring up threads that show some people complaining about how hard it is to learn Chinese and Arabic ?  
BTW, many Nigerian's speak Arabic too, i have a friend who interpretes Arabic just from the learning the quoran and not any language training.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 8:54am On Dec 24, 2010
edoyad:

@SEDAGO, your case is hopeless. I told you the Nigerian Airforce trains some of it's engineering personnel in China, and all you do is bring up threads that show some people complaining about how hard it is to learn Chinese and Arabic ?  
BTW, many Nigerian's speak Arabic too, i have a friend who interpretes Arabic just from the learning the quoran and not any language training.

Ok. I have to say, and I apologize. But damn are u daft? Yes many Nigerians speak arabic, you live in Kano so it is a no brainer- because they started learning it when they were young and most muslims need it for the quran. Learning a language when you are young is different from learning a language when you are an adult. I cannot even believe I am typing this.

Yes, if Nigerians are taught chinese from elementary/primary school it is possible that they would be able to learn it significantly. However its a very difficult language to learn. Everyone knows this, who has tried to learn the language except you. I have met real chinese-americans complaining about how hard the language is and I am supposed to trust what you told me right?

Nigerian Airforce trains some of it's engineering personnel in China, and all you do is bring up threads that show some people complaining about how hard it is to learn Chinese and Arabic ?

And so who told you they understand chinese or they are being trained in chinese or that they can converse in chinese.

Quote me anywhere to anyone who is half-brained: Mandarin is one of the most difficult language to learn except you were brought up learning the language.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 9:01am On Dec 24, 2010
Well, may the good lord help you. Dude do you know what Aircraft engineering is ? Do you know what's involved in training an aircraft engineer ? Infact i rest my case grin grin . Goodluck with your life
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by Alloneless: 9:56am On Dec 24, 2010
Dude, this is just the process of the globalization, as the cutlture goes together, there always occur so many problems, however, In my own opinion, this may be the start of understanding. smiley smiley you know what, I'd love to learn your language if some of you would like to teach.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by ShangoThor(m): 10:02am On Dec 24, 2010
There are loads of Nigerian market women in Hong Kong markets with market stalls speaking Chinese fluently.
Its actually amazing to see, I think the Africans ability to adapt is not being recognised here.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 10:21am On Dec 24, 2010
ShangoThor:

There are loads of Nigerian market women in Hong Kong markets with market stalls speaking Chinese fluently.
Its actually amazing to see, I think the Africans ability to adapt is not being recognised here.

Thats different and the chinese in HK/Guangzhou is different from that in mainland china. Also conversational learning is kind of easier than academic learning IMO. Sitting in a class, its difficult to learn a language than living in a country where speaking the language is the norm. What edoyad is suggesting is the former. Let me suggest an alternative approach:

We Nigerians learn as much as we can about the Chinese, their culture, their heritage. Understand that the eastern way of courtesy is significantly different from the western way. Understand the Chinese approach to business. In case, you are not aware close to 60% of Chinese are irreligious and most I have met don't believe in God. They are fatalists as opposed to Deists. Learn about important periods in their lives like chinese new year e.t.c Know about the major cities in Mainland China, about Mao, about communism, and it effect on the mindset of the people. In summary: Know how they think

When you learn about them, you know enough. Then hire a bloody translator lol, you do not need to learn the language if they would be coming into your turf.

I would recommend though that Chinese be introduced in the Nigerian curriculum as an option for students interested in such.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by AjanleKoko: 10:27am On Dec 24, 2010
I don't know about 'need' but I am learning Chinese, and I'm enrolling my son for Chinese language classes.
I am friends with a Canadian who sent his kids to university in China. He feels they are the next power, so his kids should at least learn the language, culture and customs.

SEFAGO:

How basic. This is your statement:

You said Nigerians speak chinese. Well how did they learn it? If you mean Nigerians who lived in china for a long time that makes sense. But learning chinese in an academic setting is difficult. And can they speak it at least enough to get by? I took french for years and I am fairly smart, but cannot even take it to the conversational level with native french speakers.

TBH you are not making any sense. No one learns a decent amount of chinese in one year. People from hong kong and macau would think you are crazy for making such a statement

Actually I've met tons of Nigerians living in Shanghai and Guangzhou, who speak passable Mandarin. To live, work, and do business in China, you gotta have some grasp of the language. I don't think they would be anywhere near fluent as locals, maybe they can't even write it. But at least they make the effort.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by SEFAGO(m): 10:39am On Dec 24, 2010
Actually I've met tons of Nigerians living in Shanghai and Guangzhou, who speak passable Mandarin. To live, work, and do business in China, you gotta have some grasp of the language. I don't think they would be anywhere near fluent as locals, maybe they can't even write it. But at least they make the effort.

As, I have said before conversational is different from actual true fluency in the language. For example, I hear Yoruba fluently but cannot write it quite well and my speaking sounds terrible (before anyone launches into a you should learn your own language crap- its kind of not my fault)

Moreover, they live in china. So they can pick up words then string sentences together. That's very different from academic learning.

Personally, I think learning Chinese is great, and would look good on your CV. Infact my argument is not against learning Chinese but the effectiveness of learning Chinese for the purpose previously stated reason. If the Chinese are coming to Nigeria they should do so on our terms. If we are going to china, we should do so on their terms. The exchange should be fair.

I don't know about 'need' but I am learning Chinese, and I'm enrolling my son for Chinese language classes.
I am friends with a Canadian who sent his kids to university in China. He feels they are the next power, so his kids should at least learn the language, culture and customs

This is quite surprising. Any particular reason? Usually he could have sent his son to university in canada then maybe his son could take a diploma at peking university or tsinghua? They have language programs for people interested in learning such.

I don't know about 'need' but I am learning Chinese

How far have you gotten? As, I have said and heard (from very intelligent people) , its supposed to be very difficult
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by edoyad(m): 10:40am On Dec 24, 2010
Dude i subscribe to this idea 100 %, we need  to start learning Chinese ASAP. Infact it's too  late for that to be a proactive measure. Do  you know i saw almost a dozen Chinese  students in BUK, kano recently, studying ?  They are proactive, we would only be  reacting.

As things stand right now , China has a  reserve some where near 2  trillion dollars,  we have to be advertising our selves so we  can get some of that as FDI as they look for  where to use that.

My initial post ¥
This is kind of silly, and I used to see it a lot  in the US. Lots of American students learn  Chinese because the Chinese are growing  significantly in influence in terms of business  and such. However, the joke is on them  because the Chinese are learning english lol,  so that they can integrate into a more  globalized economy where english is the most important language. You guys should first master English b4  you  learn chinese. Do you know how hard chinese  is? It needs years of hardwork and dedication  before you can even say a few words, not to  talk of fluently speaking the language. Most  lazy Nigerians cannot even learn the alphabet not to talk of the whole language.

This was your initial post, YOURS.
Thats different and the chinese in HK/ Guangzhou is different from that in mainland  china. Also conversational learning is kind of  easier than academic learning IMO. Sitting in  a class, its difficult to learn a language than  living in a country where speaking the  language is the norm. What edoyad is  suggesting is the former. Let me suggest an  alternative approach
. . .

Edoyad suggested what mister ? Where ?    I came up with the example of Nigerian engineers learning Chinese to buttress my point, why ?
You said we're too dumb and lazy to learn Chinese.
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 24, 2010
Misplaced priority !
Why chinese when i can't even speak ibo or hausa ?
chinese ko,kung fu ni
Re: Do Nigerians Need To Learn Chinese? by favouredjb(f): 10:50am On Dec 24, 2010
I agree with you seafago,chinese has to be one of the hardest languages in the world

Even an average yoruba man has not even finished speaking igbo,tlkless of mandarin

Maybe the basics ,well yea,and that should be a personal thing,not to be compulsory in our schools

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Those That Love Nigeria: Beware Of These Dangerous Men! / Exposed!! Arewa's Plan 'b' / Breaking: Chatham House: Baroness Scotland Of Asthal To Rescue Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.