Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,012 members, 7,810,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists (4188 Views)

Fayose Seen Checking Licenses Of Motorists In The State (Photos) / Photos: Apapa Lagos Road Flooded After Heavy Rainfall / Breaking! Long Queues As Motorists Storm Ifeanyi Ubah’s Capital Oil(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by texazzpete(m): 6:36pm On Dec 26, 2010
Putting strong wooden planks across the manhole is not sustainable, and will only encourage the authorities to do nothing.

Instead of encouraging the people to protest to their Local or State Government, you're asking for DIY projects that may not be successful?

Fine, let them put the DIY covers there, as long as they are committed to voting out those scoundrels.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by oderemo(m): 6:51pm On Dec 26, 2010
^^^,
how many accident victims are rescued daily on Lagos - Ibadan xpress way by passers by and well wishers.
do they need to wait for fed . govt. non existing rescue teams. ?
the mind boggles at times.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by sulad82i(m): 7:45pm On Dec 26, 2010
jeez, wetin be this shocked shocked
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by buzugee(m): 7:50pm On Dec 26, 2010
texazzpete:

Putting strong wooden planks across the manhole is not sustainable, and will only encourage the authorities to do nothing.

Instead of encouraging the people to protest to their Local or State Government, you're asking for DIY projects that may not be successful?

Fine, let them put the DIY covers there, as long as they are committed to voting out those scoundrels.
oh yeah lets let a bunch of people die because we do not want to encourage the authorities to do nothing grin grin grin
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by ProAnti: 9:38pm On Dec 26, 2010
There are at least 8 of such open manholes on Ikorodu road between Idiroko bus stop and Fadeyi bus stop.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by sshalom(m): 10:03pm On Dec 26, 2010
This is definitely unacceptable. Pray me, what are the authorities doing?
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by chelseabmw(m): 11:10pm On Dec 26, 2010
this is really killing
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Sharonf(f): 9:50am On Dec 27, 2010
Solution: Pray to God to inspire federal government to cover manhole.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On Dec 27, 2010
^^^^ What sort of silly solution is that? ROFLMAO!
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by johndoe200: 4:04pm On Dec 27, 2010
Kobojunkie:

^^^^ What sort of silly solution is that? ROFLMAO!

The usual mindless Nigerian response. Sometimes I think they are brainwashed.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Sharonf(f): 6:05pm On Dec 27, 2010
I see I have to tone down my sarcasm for you to understand, brainiac.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by norrisman: 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2010
Nigerians are beyond redemption. Imagine people asking residents to put planks on top of the gaping holes! A DIY project in futility. What is the use of having local governments, fire service, police e.t.c? They should be the first point of call for situations like this and their response should be immediate!
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Kobojunkie: 6:38pm On Dec 27, 2010
Sharon_f:

I see I have to tone down my sarcasm for you to understand, brainiac.

That is sarcasm? You will be surprised how many times people propose that as solution to most of Nigerias problems and you become enemy of progress if you do not buy into that ridiculousness.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by ziga: 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2010
Even though covering the man-hole with planks might not be an effective way of solving the problem, the person who said that, is the only one who seems to be concerned about the possible danger that could be caused by the man-hole. And he was concerned enough to think of a way to try and prevent it.

Most of the other posts are only stating the obvious. . . there is a man-hole in the road, and somebody is not doing his job. That is also important, but in the meantime, to prevent loss of lives, something needs to be done about it.

And that is the problem with Nigeria. Everybody is too busy pointing fingers and not taking action, as long as they are not they are not directly affected by the problem.

Societies only advance when we are our own brother's keeper and we make ourselves partly responsible for anything that goes wrong in the society. . . these are the motives of many well respected, voluntary organizations all over the world.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Dec 27, 2010
And we are now Operating under the assumption that NO ONE has, in the past actually covered the man whole EVER BEFORE . . . BRILLIANT! sad
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by ziga: 7:45pm On Dec 27, 2010
It is not an assumption. . . I read what a lot of people thought about his idea. Most people suggest waiting for the person who is supposed to do it. And some people commented about our bad leaders. And some made sarcastic remarks. And some used the opportunity to prove to us for the 100th time that our leaders are not doing what they should.

But what happened to the concept of picking up a banana peel from the floor so that people don't fall and break something. Despite the fact that you are not the floor cleaner.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by norrisman: 12:45am On Dec 28, 2010
Where do you draw the line for this your social responsibility experiment? Do you ask people to push that broken down 18 wheeler truck loaded with 33,000 litres of petrol 10 miles down the motorway to a safe location to prevent an accident happening later on at night? How anyone can compare helping accidents victims to covering an exposed manhole on a road is beyond me,
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by ziga: 1:01am On Dec 28, 2010
norrisman:

Where do you draw the line for this your social responsibility experiment? Do you ask people to push that broken down 18 wheeler truck loaded with 33,000 litres of petrol 10 miles down the motorway to a safe location to prevent an accident happening later on at night? How anyone can compare helping accidents victims to covering an exposed manhole on a road is beyond me, 

you misunderstand my point.

Whenever anything happens in Naija, people are so quick to blame the government. Even though the government fails us, even we fail in our responsibilities.

Lets take the broken down truck for instance. the truck driver has a responsibility to make sure other motorists are safe. . . by putting up appropriate warning signs. i don't need to go into the details of that.
His employers also have a responsibility to make sure that their truck is road worthy or even if it breaks down they move it out of the way.
Other road users have their own responsibilities, the police etc.

These are all human beings/Nigerians. And if they paid attention to their responsibilities, disasters will be avoided. But unfortunately, everybody fails in his responsibility, and we all know what crime we are guilty of.
But whenever disaster strikes, the only failure we see is the government.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is / Spotted In South Africa: A "Do Not Die In Nigeria" Warning / Jega May Be Removed Tomorrow, Replacement Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.