Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,322 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi (3005 Views)

Flashback: How Oshiomhole Blamed Jonathan For Economic Crisis During Buhari Era / How Azikwe Dethroned The Grandfather Of The Current Olu Of Warri? / Sanusi Dethroned By Kano State Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by labansin: 12:18pm On Mar 17, 2020
Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the political leader of the old western region of Nigeria was not a friend to the old Alaafin of Oyo, oba Adeymi Adeniran
Oba Adeyemi was playing friendship with the NCNC an opposition party to the Action Group, a party set up by Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=870d6c5bda79452fd80bd16ba3aa1295&news_entry_id=s2ac11d63200311en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=4de852a03443ac9866090616020e254ba933eda9&from=news

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by slimfit1(m): 12:30pm On Mar 17, 2020
Awolowo I've sure faced the consequences. If you are doing the right thing by the people and individual should not be a menace to you.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by baralatie(m): 12:56pm On Mar 17, 2020
it is a simple message traditional rulers should stay away from politics. or else govt will remove you without batting an eyelid
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by TylerDurden: 12:58pm On Mar 17, 2020
Awolowo dethroned him because the Oba was sympathetic to NCNC and was a strong confidant of Herbert Macauly.

If Herbert Macauly had not died before the parliamentary elections, the tribalist Awolowo would have not smelt power.

The foolishness of Zik, on the other hand deserves another thread on its own.

3 Likes

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by TylerDurden: 12:59pm On Mar 17, 2020
baralatie:
it is a simple message traditional rulers should stay away from politics. or else govt will remove you without batting an eyelid

Then Politicians should stop courting them for their support and blessings.

I don't subscribe to the rule that Traditional rulers should stay out of politics neither do I subscribe to the fact that they should be so blatantly partisan like the current idiot occupying Oba of Lagos throne.

They are entitled to their vote and also their constitutional guaranteed right to advocate for any candidate of their choice.

However, both Sanusi and Oba Rilwanu of Lagos are idiots who desecrated their positions to run amok in the mud with dirty politicians.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by baralatie(m): 1:14pm On Mar 17, 2020
TylerDurden:

Then Politicians should stop courting them for their support and blessings.

I don't subscribe to the rule that Traditional rulers should stay out of politics neither do I subscribe to the fact that they should be so blatantly partisan like the current idiot occupying Oba of Lagos throne.

They are entitled to their vote and also their constitutional guaranteed right to advocate for any candidate of their choice.

However, both Sanusi and Oba Rilwanu of Lagos are idiots who desecrated their positions to run amok in the mud with dirty politicians.
unfortunately traditional do not have a vote to give in elections.they are meant to be apolitical.
traditional rulers don't have constitutional guarantees to advocate for political office or persons vying for office.

if you go through history it is full of records traditional rulers who got killed,removed or having their domains destroyed because things like these.

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by TylerDurden: 1:24pm On Mar 17, 2020
baralatie:

unfortunately traditional do not have a vote to give in elections.they are meant to be apolitical.
traditional rulers don't have constitutional guarantees to advocate for political office or persons vying for office.

if you go through history it is full of records traditional rulers who got killed,removed or having their domains destroyed because things like these.

I think this is a fallout from both Awolowo and Sarduna's strong arm tactics to gag and get all traditional rulers to support them.

I know for a fact that after the NCNC won a majority in both the Western and Southern Parliament (owing to NCNC's prominent role in fighting for independence under Herbert Macauly), the same Awolowo lobbied Yoruba Obas to talk to Yoruba politicians who emerged as parliamentarians under the NCNC to defect to the regional tribal Action Group party. They based their arguments that an Igbo (Zik) should not be allowed to head the govt in the SW.

With that, Awolowo not only introduced tribal politics, cross-carpetting but also the direct introduction of the influence and power of traditional rulers in politics.

It is thus, ironic that same Awolowo will dethrone an Oba who refused to play his dirty tribal politics by refusing to ask members of parliament under his domain who had been elected under the NCNC to defect to the AG.

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by googi: 1:36pm On Mar 17, 2020
I agree with those who think traditional leaders should feign their loyalty to political leaders. After all, they are people too with empathy for politics. They should always position themselves as neutral so that all political parties can pay homage to them.

Oba Sikiru Adetona is a case in point.

As for Oba Adeyemi and Awolowo, where are those who think one Oba Adeyemi had a role in the whooping cough (Pertussis) of Bode Thomas. Did he have a role in poisoning Bode Thomas, which people thought was some supernatural power.

Apparently, the supernatural power could not touch Awo.

If any Oba is found guilty of murder, he faces calabash i.e death.

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by TylerDurden: 1:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
googi:
I agree with those who think traditional leaders should feign their loyalty to political leaders. After all, they are people too with empathy for politics. They should always position themselves as neutral so that all political parties can pay homage to them.

Oba Sikiru Adetona is a case in point.

As for Oba Adeyemi and Awolowo, where are those who think one Oba Adeyemi had a role in the whooping cough (Pertussis) of Bode Thomas. Did he have a role in poisoning Bode Thomas, which people thought was some supernatural power.

Apparently, the supernatural power could not touch Awo.

If any Oba is found guilty of murder, he faces calabash i.e death.

In the case of this Oba, he was dethroned because he refused to play partisan politics.

Awolowo had convinced many Yoruba Obas to ask the newly elected Yoruba MPs under the NCNC to defect to the AG.

This Oba refused to get involved.

After AG emerged the majority via cross-carpeting and Awolowo became the Premiere, he wasted no time sacking this Oba.

Awolowo introduced so much bitterness and rogue politics in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by googi: 1:54pm On Mar 17, 2020
I hate to argue the details with you because you are basically right but Awolowo did not introduce bitterness into politics.

How can you say that about a man that threatened the status quo by establishing Opposition Party in the North and East based on grassroots campaigns?

Who else did ever since? Save your bias for Awo to yourself, biko.

TylerDurden:

In the case of this Oba, he was dethroned because he refused to play partisan politics.

Awolowo had convinced many Yoruba Obas to ask the newly elected Yoruba MPs under the NCNC to defect to the AG.

This Oba refused to get involved.

After AG emerged the majority via cross-carpeting and Awolowo became the Premiere, he wasted no time sacking this Oba.

Awolowo introduced so much bitterness and rogue politics in Nigeria.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by TylerDurden: 1:59pm On Mar 17, 2020
googi:
I hate to argue the details with you because you are basically right but Awolowo did not introduce bitterness into politics.

How can you say that about a man that threatened the status quo by establishing Opposition Party in the North and East based on grassroots campaigns?

Who else did ever since? Save your bias for Awo to yourself, biko.

Listen to me... the trio of Awo, Zik and Sarduna where the worst thing to happen to this country. They were all equally guilty of mismanaging Nigeria's newly acquired independence.

But what I know of Awolowo is that he introduced the following to Nigerian politcs which if you check where endemic to the SW region in the 60's.

1. Cross carpeting

2. Tribalism

3. Desecration of Traditional stools for political gain and support

4. Thuggery and ballot box snatching

5. Politics of bitterness

6. Godfatherism

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 2:05pm On Mar 17, 2020
I heard the then Oba of Benin supported Awolowo on it.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Subduer: 2:07pm On Mar 17, 2020
TylerDurden:
Awolowo dethroned him because the Oba was sympathetic to NCNC and was a strong confidant of Herbert Macauly.

If Herbert Macauly had not died before the parliamentary elections, the tribalist Awolowo would have not smelt power.

The foolishness of Zik, on the other hand deserves another thread on its own.
Kindly explain the foolishness of Zik. As a solid advocate of One Nigeria, Zik's slogan was Show the Light, that others may follow, intelligently, not sheepishly.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by baralatie(m): 2:08pm On Mar 17, 2020
so the one deficit of zik was? I don't remember zik being tribalistic
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by baralatie(m): 2:10pm On Mar 17, 2020
TylerDurden:

Listen to me... the trio of Awo, Zik and Sarduna where the worst thing to happen to this country. They were all equally guilty of mismanaging Nigeria's newly acquired independence.

But what I know of Awolowo is that he introduced the following to Nigerian politcs which if you check where endemic to the SW region in the 60's.

1. Cross carpeting

2. Tribalism

6. Godfatherism
remove godfatherism

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by googi: 2:24pm On Mar 17, 2020
You just revealed yourself. No point arguing with you.

Awo remains the best that ever happened to Nigeria for most of us from the former Western Region that Included some parts of South-south.

TylerDurden:

1. Cross carpeting

2. Tribalism

6. Godfatherism

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by helinues: 2:26pm On Mar 17, 2020
Inyan.miri oloripe.lebe version of the story
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by AreaFada2: 2:48pm On Mar 17, 2020
googi:

Awo remains the best that ever happened to Nigeria for most of us from the former Western Region that Included some parts of South-south.

Awo was unashamedly tribalist. He didn't even pretend. In Southern Nigeria he sought to empower the largely Yoruboid Itsekiri. Raising Olu of Itsekiri to be Olu of Warri. Remember what is now Delta state was called Warri province of Western region. It caused a crisis as Urhobo, Isoko and Izon, Asaba, Ika, Ukwuani and others protested.

It lead to the province being renamed Delta Province. To remove the impression that the Olu ruled over the whole province.

Awo made Western Region crisis ridden. Whether fighting SLA, Olowo of Owo, Alaafin of Oyo or anyone perceived to support NCNC or SLA.
You are right. HE CARED ONLY ABOUT YORUBA. Not like the dreamer Zik who believed in one NIGERIA.

Awo never believed Nigeria has any future. He called it a mere geographical expression. He loathed the conservative North. They were not progressive enough in his view. He wanted the provision for referendum to self determination in our Constitution. Zik naively opposed it vehemently and won.

Awo joining Gowon's govt was pure opportunism. A chance to use Yoruba to flood civil service and take control of posts Igbo were forced to leave. The advantage Yoruba has kept till now. He had the best education policy. Which even some non westerrn region indigenes benefited from if they were living in the region.

Awo was the most realistic politician in the South. He realised very early that only tribe matters.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by baralatie(m): 2:55pm On Mar 17, 2020
so awolowo was one of the main serious problems facing Nigeria.okay o!

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by TylerDurden: 3:04pm On Mar 17, 2020
googi:

I will speak the truth and if it bothers you it is your problem and not mine

Awo, Zik and Sarduna were disasters.

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by valarmorghulis: 3:24pm On Mar 17, 2020
Subduer:
Kindly explain the foolishness of Zik. As a solid advocate of One Nigeria, Zik's slogan was Show the Light, that others may follow, intelligently, not sheepishly.
I think Zik justified alafin's removal by making Igbo head almost every organisation in western Nigeria, yet u called awolowo a tribal bigot

2 Likes

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by googi: 3:27pm On Mar 17, 2020
I have already answered these on another thread:

Strength by googi: 7:42pm On Mar 16
Things started going wrong in the West when Awolowo moved to Lagos thinking he could do for Nigeria what he did for the West.

The height of his success came when Action Group he led became the official Opposition in the North and the East by campaigning for Free Education and Free Healthcare.

However, Awo was not a politician. Politician do not tell you upfront why they want your votes. Chief S. L. A (Akintola) warned him where to pitch his tent. He insisted on working with Zik of Africa. After all, both of them understood the struggle for Independence under Herbert Macauley than anyone else.

The Election of 1959/60 for Independence could have kept Nigeria on course as a Regional Power with Azikiwe as Executive Prime Minister and then retained a clause to opt out of Nigeria if any Region so desired. Azikiwe rejected both from Awo. Rightly or wrongly today based on the fact that he did not want to isolate the North. They have been working with the North since. Akintola was right

Guess who do not want Yoruba to work with the North lately?

Nevertheless, the West remained the power House of the Country attractive to all Africans.

Some other Yoruba became suspicious like SLA. Whenever some of the people from the East were offered jobs and promoted based on MERIT by Yoruba employers or Oga, all their hires become Igbo.

Even recently, Yoruba landlords were renting to Igbo out of greed because they were willing to pay whatever was demanded for as long as five years!

However, it would be their last rent. So when Igbo tenants started complaining of discrimination in Lagos and some parts of the West, they were right!

Until Nigerians return to hard work, honesty, accommodation and tolerance throughout the Country, not only in the West; the Country will not only break, our next generation will perish!

If anything, the West stands a better. chance of going back to its Western Region days when meagre earnings from Cocoa and ingenuity created the First In Africa. There is no greater curse on Nigeria than Oil Money that destroyed the livelihood of farmers and fishermen.

Enough insults about Yoruba did or did not do this on their own LAND
https://www.nairaland.com/5737205/unless-nigerians-go-back-individual

Yemefe!
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by valarmorghulis: 3:33pm On Mar 17, 2020
Yoruba don try for Una, wetin una don do for yoruba?
1)Hubert macauley, a yoruba man made azikiwe an Igbo man head of ncnc
2)alafin wast dethroned and exiled because he supported azikiwe
3)adekunle fajuyi died protecting aguiyi ironsi an Igbo man
4)tinubu is the first person to make an Igbo man since we returned to democracy (1999)
5)below is d picture of tinubu's company,(tvc news) using Innoson vehicle yet u believed the man does not like Igbo people

2 Likes

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by samstradam: 3:54pm On Mar 17, 2020
TylerDurden:

I will speak the truth and if it bothers you it is your problem and not mine

Awo, Zik and Sarduna were disasters.

The problem is you are not speaking the truth, but just sounding like a pained person looking for someone to blame for all his problems.

Though I agree with you that practically all our founding politicians laid the foundation for Nigeria's malaise they were clearly not disasters like the later generations would and continue to prove to be.

Yoruba Obas/leaders are removed if they fail to respect themselves and are failures. We've always had this as part of our history and culture, hundreds of years before Awo ever came on the scene.

One thing we understand from Yoruba culture is that no one, which includes our leaders, knows everything or is infallible . Thus we expect leaders to make mistakes and have shortcomings, popular ones will be forgiven and the incapable ones will be abandoned and forgotten. That's why all our Heroes and even Myths are realistic and have stories of highs and lows- we don't worship/adore/idolize humans who don't realize they are human.

Here's an article from Vanguard showing different high profile cases that happened in the time of written history. The ups and down of each Oba is typical in our culture.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/obas-go-exile/

as for the Alaafin's father's case, here's more flesh for those who can't bother to use the link.

BETWEEN BODE THOMAS AND OBA ADENIRAN ADEYEMI: WHEN A MAN BARKS TO DEATH

Oba Adeniran Adeyemi II, was Alaafin of Oyo, between 1945 and 1954, until he was forced into exile by the Action Group led government of the Western region, as a result of the death of the Deputy leader of the Action Group, Chief Bode Thomas and also for having sympathy, for the rival NCNC of Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Chief Bode Thomas (1918-1953) became the deputy leader of the Action Group, he later formed Nigeria’s first indigenous law firm called- Thomas, Willams, Kayode and co. i.e. the trio of Bode Thomas, Chief Rotimi Williams and Chief Remilekun Fani Kayode.

Bode was a brilliant lawyer, but also very haughty and arrogant. He was made the Divisional Council Chairman in 1953, while the Alaafin of Oyo was a mere member. On his first appearance in council, after being appointed chairman, all the council members stood up for him in deference, to welcome him except Oba Adeyemi II, who for cultural reasons, could not show deference to anyone in public. Bode Thomas rudely shouted at the king, for having the temerity and audacity to disrespect him. “Why are you sitting when I walked in, you don’t know how to show respect?”At that time, Bode Thomas was 35 years old and Oba Adeniran was in his 60’s. The Alaafin felt very insulted and nonplussed; he said “se emi lon gbomo baun?” (Is it me you are barking at like that?). Oba Adeniran just told him “Ma gbo lo baun” (continue barking).Oba Adeniran Adeyemi II, was father of the incumbent Alaafin, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III.

The confrontation happened on November 22nd 1953. Bode Thomas got home and started barking! He barked and barked like a dog all night until he died in the early morning of November 23rd 1953.

He cut short his promising career. Oba Adeniran Adeyemi II, was thereafter deposed and sent on exile in 1954 for sympathizing with opposition NCNC, because he had come in conflict with Bode Thomas who was Deputy Leader of the Action Group, before his untimely death. In fact at a session in the parliament, Sardauna Ahmadu Bello had described Thomas as “Arrogant and ungracious”. Oba Adeniran Adeyemi II, was sent on exile to Ilesha and later relocated to Egerton Street on Lagos Island where he lived and died in 1960. His death truncated the ambition of Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi, to proceed to the United Kingdom to study law. He later became an Insurance Executive with the Royal Exchange Assurance, where he worked until he ascended the throne of his forefathers, as the Alaafin of Oyo in 1971.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/obas-go-exile/
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Subduer: 11:28pm On Mar 18, 2020
AreaFada2:

The dreamer Zik who believed in one NIGERIA.

And Zik's DREAM of One Nigeria is now a reality, being frustrated by tribalism.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Banmeallday: 11:32pm On Mar 18, 2020
Subduer:

Reality where?For night clubs in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Subduer: 11:45pm On Mar 18, 2020
valarmorghulis:

I think Zik justified alafin's removal by making Igbo head almost every organisation in western Nigeria, yet u called awolowo a tribal bigot

Now that's clearer.

1. Was Zik Premier of the Western Region?
2. For how long?
3. It's good to make these FACTS of history available to all.
Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Subduer: 11:52pm On Mar 18, 2020
Banmeallday:

Reality where?For night clubs in Lagos?

One Nijeria. Without Nigeria the Fulanis would have decimated whatever remains of the great Hausa nation.

2. No African nation wants Nigeria to break up, against the wish of Igbos and some Yorubas.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by AreaFada2: 10:04am On Mar 19, 2020
Subduer:

For those who lost relatives to poverty, police brutality, Boko Haram and impunity of rulers, Zik's dream is their Nightmare.

The biggest scourge we have is corruption and it's no respecter of tribe or tribalism.
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Babakolanut(m): 5:10am On Feb 03, 2023
labansin:
Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the political leader of the old western region of Nigeria was not a friend to the old Alaafin of Oyo, oba Adeymi Adeniran
Oba Adeyemi was playing friendship with the NCNC an opposition party to the Action Group, a party set up by Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=870d6c5bda79452fd80bd16ba3aa1295&news_entry_id=s2ac11d63200311en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=4de852a03443ac9866090616020e254ba933eda9&from=news
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Babakolanut(m): 6:00am On Feb 03, 2023
Landmark historical revelations!!!
Re: Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi by Babakolanut(m): 6:13am On Feb 03, 2023
Babakolanut:
Landmark historical revelations!!!

(1) (Reply)

See faces of people IPOB kidnapped and killed VIDEO / Twitter removes #EndSARS emoji after ban / Later People Will Ask Why Biafra Agitation? See What Happened In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.