Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 (25643 Views)

Senate To Invite Emefiele Over Naira Devaluation / Rising Food Prices, Serial Naira Devaluation Compound Nigerians’ Woes / Finance Bill: Senate Mulls Taxing DSTV Premium Bouquet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 18, 2020
Depreciation not devalation. Oil prices heading south, Naira automatically goes the same direction.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Tolase1999(m): 12:01pm On Mar 18, 2020
This is where a country with a great leader and economist with financial analyst will be known. this is a global issues and don't forget the oil war between saudi and Russia. before we make any comment, i think we should know more about international economy bcuz this is beyond APC and PDP saga
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Boxer007(m): 12:04pm On Mar 18, 2020
Any beautiful man wanna chat? (Free paid dinner? Disco & dance included)
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by MondayOsunbor(m): 12:15pm On Mar 18, 2020
Boxer007:
Any beautiful man wanna chat? (Free paid dinner? Disco & dance included)

any better ? i am available
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by courage89(m): 12:17pm On Mar 18, 2020
Is naira devaluation part of Senate responsibilities? I thought this is part of cbn mandate. Why not allow cbn to do their job, considering their independence. Are people now lobbying our Senate to achieve this? This is not good.

I don't have any problem with removing subsidy, it's way overdue.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by anonimi: 12:19pm On Mar 18, 2020
Nbote:
Dey have found an excuse to remove d subsidy and increase pump price

Please ask yourself how many times they will remove the subsidy that barawo bubu called a fraud anyway

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2589504_subsidy2_jpeg57ea79bc1f8758353f00f8db1d53dbf1

NIGERIA REMOVES FUEL SUBSIDY, PROMPTS MIXED REACTIONS
12/5/16

Nigeria's government has announced the removal of a fuel subsidy, meaning that petrol prices are to rise by 66 percent, in a decision that has provoked mixed responses.

The cost of petrol will rise from 86.5 naira ($0.43) to 145 naira ($0.73) per litre after the subsidy—which costs the Nigerian government $2.7 million per day, according to the BBC—was removed. The Nigerian Petroleum Ministry said in a statement that there was no provision for the subsidy in the 2016 budget—which was finally approved by President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday after first being proposed in December 2015—and that the slight rebound in the cost of oil had forced the government's hand.

Nigeria is experiencing a severe fuel shortage, with consumers queuing for hours outside gas stations and often paying way over the new price for black-market products. The West African country, the continent's biggest oil producer, has been unable to meet demand due to several factors, including increased attacks on oil pipelines in the Niger Delta that have forced the evacuation and shutdown of some facilities. "We share the pains of Nigerians but...the inherited difficulties of the past and the challenges of current times imply that we must take difficult decisions on these sorts of critical national issues," said Petroleum Minister Emmanuel Kachikwu in a statement on Wednesday.

https://www.newsweek.com/nigeria-removes-fuel-subsidy-prompts-mixed-reactions-459159#:~:text=Nigeria%20Removes%20Fuel%20Subsidy%2C%20Prompts%20Mixed%20Reactions,-By%20Conor%20Gaffey&text=The%20cost%20of%20petrol%20will,to%20the%20BBC%E2%80%94was%20removed.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4024299_bubu6_jpeg86aaf8fa6cd32a5104ab6bf996dd1ee3

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6440050_dregaeuxcaaxmzn_jpegbc221e09788124eef1ab789b91afa35e

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by MansoryMX(m): 12:24pm On Mar 18, 2020
NdiaraIGBO:
Blacks don't want to produce anything but love to consume every rubbish!

Una go suffer tired!!!

190m fools.

Seconded! As in Foolish fools!

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 18, 2020
Devaluation of the Naira is a good way for us to step up our exports, because our goods and services will be cheaper to foreign nations. Unfortunately, rather than search for goods we can produce for export and learn about what standards we need to uphold and how to maintain those standards to make our exports attractive, my people will lie down on the floor and start wailing and throwing tantrums; waiting for government to come and spoon feed them.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 18, 2020
GOFRONT:
Since the coming of Covid19, I have not heard from MANNABBQGRILL and Darling Daddy..

Maybe the guy don chop dead meat wey carry corona...
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 18, 2020
Officialgarri:

Baba, try to be smart when making comments. And stop forcing your name on us by posting your picture on every comment you make. Your comments, rather than prove you to be intelligent, only shows you are here for the "likes". You are not smart enough to be known.

Back to the topic:

While I'll ignore the removal of subsidy for now, I believe Devaluation of Naira would have been the best option in this period we are. We can't keep defending the Naira with the reserve only.

However, for how long shall we continue to devalue?

It's always like Nigeria devalues and then sits back and let it slide.
It should not be so!
This is the time where the Minster of Science and Tech. (Who has been promising us production of pencils, go to space and so many unfound promises) Minister of solid minerals, and Minister for Agriculture — should be summoned and given a strict deadline to up their games.

We need to export so badly and bring down importation to the least possible

Why should they worry themselves, when there is always money to share ?

Lmao at Nigerian government.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Timozo1(m): 12:34pm On Mar 18, 2020
NdiaraIGBO:
Blacks don't want to produce anything but love to consume every rubbish!

Una go suffer tired!!!

190m fools.

Are you not among the 190m, na all of us go suffer
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 18, 2020
Nnah make person go shopping before Indomie becomes scarce.

Lmao..

When una dey vote people with padded certificate, una no Sabi say unletteredd persons are always disorganized ??
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 18, 2020
MondayOsunbor:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN ARE YOU READY FOR NATIONAL RIOT I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PROTEST

I MEANT OLD STYLE RIOT

I remember Riot in my primary school days.

We no dey do strike that time nah RIOT.

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Boxer007(m): 12:42pm On Mar 18, 2020
MondayOsunbor:

any better ? i am available

You not my type sir. You too cunk
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by sentio2020: 12:45pm On Mar 18, 2020
I

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Chibokgame: 12:51pm On Mar 18, 2020
My country, always planning to do something..

Please those in support say hi..
Otherwise say nay.
That ends the story.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by bigpicture001: 1:02pm On Mar 18, 2020
Officialgarri:

Baba, try to be smart when making comments. And stop forcing your name on us by posting your picture on every comment you make. Your comments, rather than prove you to be intelligent, only shows you are here for the "likes". You are not smart enough to be known.

Back to the topic:

While I'll ignore the removal of subsidy for now, I believe Devaluation of Naira would have been the best option in this period we are. We can't keep defending the Naira with the reserve only.

However, for how long shall we continue to devalue?

It's always like Nigeria devalues and then sits back and let it slide.
It should not be so!
This is the time where the Minster of Science and Tech. (Who has been promising us production of pencils, go to space and so many unfound promises) Minister of solid minerals, and Minister for Agriculture — should be summoned and given a strict deadline to up their games.

We need to export so badly and bring down importation to the least possible

U scolded that guy as dou ur Mr. Know it all. U tink k he doesn't know wit he was saying..?

Get informed and stop ur pig headed behavior; during bihari and APC 2015 campaigns, they blasted Jonathanas thief a nd lie I g to the people saying there was nothing like government oayi g any subsidy.

I remembered vividly how fashola turn economist...

That is why that guy made that comment....

So since u don't know it all,allow ppl to say wit they know
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by AngelicBeing: 1:09pm On Mar 18, 2020
GOFRONT:
Since the coming of Covid19, I have not heard from MANNABBQGRILL and Darling Daddy..
Hahaha, Lol at darling daddy, the guy is a mugu raised to power 1000, darling daddy Ko, carcass daddy ni, Buhari is a dead carcass, nonsense and Buhari grin
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by DBlackCeazer(m): 1:16pm On Mar 18, 2020
MansoryMX:

Seconded! As in Foolish fools!
foolish fools is even an understatement.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by DBlackCeazer(m): 1:19pm On Mar 18, 2020
Economists, plssss what's the next step for people that have their savings in Naira?
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by lastempero: 1:20pm On Mar 18, 2020
If these people are tired of sitting in the Senate,they should just go home to meet their wives. Insensitive bunch of criminals.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by lastempero: 1:29pm On Mar 18, 2020
RisenPhoenix:
Devaluation of the Naira is a good way for us to step up our exports, because our goods and services will be cheaper to foreign nations. Unfortunately, rather than search for goods we can produce for export and learn about what standards we need to uphold and how to maintain those standards to make our exports attractive, my people will lie down on the floor and start wailing and throwing tantrums; waiting for government to come and spoon feed them.

Devaluation is still artificial solution that might backfire so it's better for them to start from the basic ,they should start by making legislation to liberate the power sector since they can't solve the electricity problem.

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by gordus: 1:35pm On Mar 18, 2020
osamz007:
May ask one foolish question shaa

THIS MONEY WEY DEM DEY TALK SAY E NO DEY, NO BE MACHINE DEY PRODUCE AM?

IF YES, WHY THE MACHINE NO DEY PRODUCE SUFFICIENTLY, AS I DEY NOW I NEED SERIOUS ANSWERS ABEG.
Printing more money doesn’t increase economic output – it only increases the amount of cash circulating in the economy. If more money is printed, consumers are able to demand more goods, but if firms have still the same amount of goods, they will respond by putting up prices. In a simplified model, printing money will just cause inflation.
True you have more money, but if everything is more expensive, you are not any better off.
In this simple model, printing more money has made goods more expensive, but hasn’t changed the quantity of goods

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by courage89(m): 1:44pm On Mar 18, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

If this is accurate, why is it that our export to other countries has not triple or quadruple in the past, ever since we started devaluation of naira? Devaluation will not increase our export, it will only inflict more pains and compound our economic problems. Higher inflation, higher interest rates, lost of production economy

Cheaper export and other production comparable advantage will happen when we fix other factors that affect production (excluding cheap labor, cheaper currency). High cost of diesel, electricity, high cost of funding, transportation, double taxation, high security
cost and other factors. If we do not fix and improve on these factors, export of Nigerian goods remains a mirage.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by BreconHills(m): 2:06pm On Mar 18, 2020
DonFreshmoney:
It has begun. Naira would soon be devalued to N1000 to a dollar. Nigeria is a big mess..

Our people never suffer finish.

Naira will lose 10-15% that is all. Import substitution program has already reduced aggregate demand. A lot of demand you see now is panic buying. Any body buying at 600 for e.g.will get their hands burnt badly.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Openbusiness: 2:14pm On Mar 18, 2020
GamalNasser:
Which subsidy ? I thought the lying Major General said he was under recovering ...But with price of crude oil below 30 dollars per barrel what subsidy are we talking about ? They should just say the want to increase fuel price so they can have what to loot as usual , all other countries are mooting fuel price reduction and satanic APC is talking of removing subsidy , at 30 dollars per barrel there can be no subsidy in effect , what difference are they subsidizing at 30 dollars per barrel ...when Buhari can he claimed he had removed subsidy completely and took fuel price to 147 per litre till today he cannot show what he did with money he gained before he now claimed he was paying under recovery because crude had gone to 70 dollars per barrel and now it below 30 dollars the wicked man is still claiming he is paying subsidy !!!! Paying subsidy on what ?

In 6 years the failed man has not fixed a single refinery , has not improved electricity , has not stabilized the naira and now he wants to add a new fuel tax under the guise of removing a non existent subsidy ..there can be no subsidy at 30 dollar per barrel!!!!!
By the time Buhari is done with Nigeria economy, Zimbabwe will look like a paradise. Let them devalue the naira, let them increase fuel to 2000 naira per liter, hahahaha, let me see how APC will win in 2023 grin this devil government must go in 2023

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 18, 2020
courage89:

If this is accurate, why is it that our export to other countries has not triple or quadruple in the past, ever since we started devaluation of naira? Devaluation will not increase our export, it will only inflict more pains and compound our economic problems. Higher inflation, higher interest rates, lost of production economy

RisenPhoenix:

I have already stated the reason why our exports do not triple and quadruple when the Naira is devalued.

courage89:

Cheaper export and other production comparable advantage will happen when we fix other factors that affect production (excluding cheap labor, cheaper currency). High cost of diesel, electricity, high cost of funding, transportation, double taxation, high security
cost and other factors. If we do not fix and improve on these factors, export of Nigerian goods remains a mirage.

There is no single commodity produced up to international standard in Nigeria whose export is constrained by high costs due to any of the factors mentioned above. Our cost of production is very low compared to other countries despite the above mentioned issues. The problem is that the standard of our products is not always acceptable for export. So while solving the issues you pointed out will definitely help the Nigerian producer in the long run, our industries still have to sit up when it comes to production standards.
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Glink2018(m): 2:34pm On Mar 18, 2020
Nbote:
Dey have found an excuse to remove d subsidy and increase pump price

Presently we are paying more than the landing cost of fuel price. There is nothing like fuel subsidy for now.....there suppose to be the price reduction of fuel in the country
Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by grandstar(m): 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2020
The biggest threat to the economy may be the collapse in oil prices due to the engineered glut in the market.

Of Course, the present pandemic had a hand in everything.

A devaluation may happen. What I don't understand is why hasn't the currency depreciated already. Is the CBN defending the Naira at all cost? Or has internal demand reduced or collapsed therefore reducing the corresponding demand for forex?

I have not been paying attention to the news but currencies don't seem to have been in turmoil. There's been no news of crashing pounds, Swiss Francs or Euros.

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by grandstar(m): 2:49pm On Mar 18, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

I used to think a weak currency was all that was needed for exports to boom. I was wrong. I was also very young then.

You need money to export. Is credit available to buy the goods? How much is the cost of credit? 25% in Nigeria's case. This is quite high.

Also, for your goods to be very competitive, you need high productivity. Productivity in Nigeria is low because credit is costly. To invest in world-beating modern machinery, you need large chunks of money and borrowing at 25% or more, you'll just go bankrupt. The high cost of credit is the major bane of the country and not even poor infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 by Nbote(m): 2:52pm On Mar 18, 2020
Glink2018:

Presently we are paying more than the landing cost of fuel price. There is nothing like fuel subsidy for now.....there suppose to be the price reduction of fuel in the country

Dats d point.. We have been paying more ever since dis govt came in despite claims dey removed it..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Ordered The Seizure Of My Passport? - Modupe Odele Asks Immigration / Biafra: Shut Down IPOB-Linked Youtube Channels – Buhari Govt Tells Google / Audu Ogbeh: Reduce Visa To Nigerian Youths By EU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.