Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,298 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic (26916 Views)

Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far / See Photos Of The Incredible £7m Mansion Where Neymar Is Hiding Amid Coronavirus / List Of Premier League Stars At 2019 Africa Cup Of Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by GODWINLOWSKI: 2:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
The FA says that it "remains committed" to finding a way in which to conclude the season and is open to playing up until the end of June

The Football Association (FA) has confirmed that there will be no professional football in England, including the Premier League, until at least April 30 as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Initially, fixtures in the country were suspended until the weekend of April 3-5 as a minimum, but this has been extended as the UK battles the pandemic, with more than 2,500 cases confirmed in the country.

The governing body released a statement on Thursday, which said: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and women’s professional game, together with the PFA and LMA, understand we are in unprecedented times and our thoughts are with everyone affected by Covid-19.

"We're united in our commitment to finding ways of resuming the 2019-20 football season and ensuring all domestic and European club league and cup matches are played as soon as it is safe and possible to do so.

"We've collectively supported UEFA in postponing Euro 2020 to create space in the calendar to ensure domestic and European club league and cup matches have an increased opportunity to be played and, in doing so, maintain the integrity of each competition.

"The FA’s Rules and Regulations state that “the season shall terminate no later than June 1” and “each competition shall, within the limit laid down by The FA, determine the length of its own playing season”.

"However, our Board has agreed for this limit to be extended indefinitely for the 2019-20 season in relation to professional football. Additionally, we've collectively agreed that the professional game in England will be further postponed until no earlier than Thursday, April 30.

"The progress of Covid-19 remains unclear and we can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.

"We will continue to follow Government advice and work collaboratively to keep the situation under review and explore all options available to find ways of resuming the season when the conditions allow.

"We would all like to re-emphasise that our thoughts are with everyone affected by Covid-19."

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi are two highest profile figures within English football to have tested positive for the disease, which has killed in excess of 100 people in the UK.

It was announced on Wednesday by Prime Minister Boris Johnson that schools would be closed from Friday onwards, but no parts of the country have yet been put into lockdown despite such measures being taken elsewhere in Europe.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/suspension-of-premier-league-extended-until-april-30/1sno8nlw1xtdk1idv45pigu54s

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by GODWINLOWSKI: 2:31pm On Mar 19, 2020

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by GODWINLOWSKI: 2:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Bilabong(m): 2:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
Good one....

Op I object u from being FTC...

Don't try this next time
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by GODWINLOWSKI: 2:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
Tottenham hoping their key players will be fit by then

110 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Iyiataata92: 2:37pm On Mar 19, 2020
I'm a Liverpool fan. We desperately need the league. But for now, I can boldly say that life is more important than football, hence my support for this postponement.
Football will come back when we've defeated this monster.

I stand with Mikel. Life is more important.

Together we can defeat coronavirus

102 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by GODWINLOWSKI: 2:37pm On Mar 19, 2020
My weekend boringness is extended

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by NigeriaBam: 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
cool
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by ursullalinda(f): 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
Imagine a sit @ home without something to distract you......mehn this is a very bad time for football lovers.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by seunlayi(m): 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
It will be extended further, the rate at what that convid19 is spreading in the UK is very alarming. This is what our blind govt supposed to see but were unable to see it due to their short-sightedness. We that supposed to lock our door and only allow selected few in after 2 weeks of quarantine..... See how that American guy stayed in ibadan for 2 weeks fufiling his dream of flexing our black girls before he died on Ekiti......many more cases will start to unfold now.

God help us

I stand with Mikel Obi.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by wonuks(m): 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2020
grin
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2020
ursullalinda:
Imagine a sit @ home without something to distract you......mehn this is a very bad time for football lovers.

It seems you're really interested in this pandemic. Are you a health or media expert?
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by PresidentAtiku(m): 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2020
If only this falsely glorified corruption fighter closed the border.

Nigerians are to be blamed. His own wife Aisha warned us

1 Like

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2020
Liverpool fans won't be happy

I suggest they cancel the season

Maynation what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Babztunz(m): 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2020
Bet9ja people I feel for una o

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by helinues: 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
Chei

The virus shall pass us by
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Knox123(m): 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
undecided

Punters right now...

12 Likes

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Dpharisee: 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
Na now wey I don prepare to hammer Bet9ja after all the money they have taken from me angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
ursullalinda:

Ayam telling you

6 Likes

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by OhiOfIhima: 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
We will gonna bounce back stronger than ever..

Corona will be gone like it predecessors Insha Allah.

1 Like

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Samirana360(m): 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2020
sorry Liverpool ...season over
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Expert17: 3:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
Cancel the season

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by oluwaSavage: 3:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
I think we all saw this coming, vaccine for this pandemic will take longer than expected.
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by YorubaKinging: 3:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
Sad news for those who puts thier trusts and joy and satisfactions in worldly things
Don't get your hopes up because it will be postponed once or twice again

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Ololanla: 3:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
D
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Sunnycliff(m): 3:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
My heart goes on with Liverpool. I pray they conclude their games and lift their trophy tho am a man u fan

2 Likes

Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
While its a good gesture in seeing that every game is played in other to wrap up the season, the FA should also look at the possibility of playing fixtures behind close doors with very few press.
It will go along way in ameliorating the pervasiveness of this gruesome pandemic.

The league is outrightly ours - YNWA!
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by iCauseTrouble: 3:34pm On Mar 19, 2020
shocked
Re: Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Angelfrost(m): 3:34pm On Mar 19, 2020
Expected... Knew that April 3rd date was unrealistic... They should leave it till May or June, since Euro and other competitions have been postponed till next year. So, no hurry!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Juventus Rejects Man Utd’s Cavani Offer Despite Ronaldo’s Transfer / Barcelona Shortlists Henry As Setien's Replacement / Fenway Sports Group Puts Liverpool FC Up For Sale After 12 Years Of Ownership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.