Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,577 members, 7,816,424 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Adventure In Ireland - Travel (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Adventure In Ireland (197121 Views)

What Is Like Studying In Sweden As An African. A Nairalander Adventure In Sweden / Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) / My 2017 Summer And Fall Adventure In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (94) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 4:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
themaestro08:

You u are doing well bro cool.... A grew thread I must say.

Merry Christmas to you.
Amen oo. You too will do well oooo. Besides, if you have money in Nigeria, you'll enjoy Christmas with family.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 4:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
badmanjo:
This is what I call Christmas mehnn, Soo as Dem rush you with gift, your GF sef try mehn.... Spirit of Xmas all the way

Hahahah thanks man, I appreciate, imagine if I knew 3000 people, ill be crying when I receive another gift.

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 4:53pm On Dec 27, 2020
I remembered when I visited this art studio at Lekki and I was star strucked.

This documentary is about looted art by the European from Nigeria especially Benin city, Cameroun, and Namibia.

Our ceremonial art works that fascinated the colonial masters who taught we were lesser beings have been taken from us by force and by transaction. The argument is that if not for them these arts would have have degraded and be lost in time. There's a call to get them back. But the question is, Do we have the infrastructure for that. Look at our museums, how many school have booked a Viewing for that. Part of my list before I left Nigeria was to view a museum cos my school's never took me to one. Except one small one at whispering palms in badagry. I was there twice and the second time I was there. A lot has dilapidated. It was shocking!!!!!

Some argued that if these arts are sent back to Nigeria. Our corrupt leaders will arranged to be sold back to the highest bidder, it might fall to one man who will mount it in his bedroom rather than in the public they currently are. So they argued that until we have a secured place, let it remain with them. One of the bust of oba of Benin art that was stolen, sold for 4.2M dollars. Convert that to naira. It's common sense to know that natural resources is not enough to take Nigeria out of poverty. Look at our oil. Countries without oil are even better. Rather we need to focus on satisfying the first need according to Maslow. People shouldn't sleep hungry abeg.

If you give a Nigerian a painting by Picasso, he might use it to divert the fumes from his small gen away from his window.

Nike said, it's only those who have eaten that can appreciate art. We don't appreciate art yet. You need to see the state of the other artefacts we have.
The first time I visited Nike Art studio. It was raining terribly that morning. So I walked in with my Umbrella dripping. She kindly showed me to a corner to keep it safely. And got a mop to clean up the ground. I never knew she's the owner of the Studio with more than 8000 artworks.

The big gen wasn't on then cos I was very early and sat right where Nike sat in the picture. That's where her husband always sits. We started to talk. I didn't know when 3 hours flew by. This was coming from a person with loads of experience. I didn't agree with everything he said. Because I was surrounded by the societal bias and Shit. We spoke about art to religion, that was the first time he opened my eye, What We Call Christianity in Nigeria is Shit.

I came across a post. The author wondered why a Christian come abroad and their prayer life reduces. A funny person wrote that, when you're abroad 70% of your prayer point is answered.. the government has done it. We do a lot of transactional prayer point fueled with greed and not love. And these pastors know that and pump their pocket. If you're an older Christian and still run after miracles. You're a baby. Miracles are not for adult. If you're still here and believe if you give God; First fruit, seeds, that you'll be rich, and you are not even in the process of production. You're greedy. You're just that the fool in the story of the money doubler. If you don't know that story, you can find it online.

Nike herself was quite busy, she kept walking up and down the stair. She said that's how she gets her slim figure.

Our government know this. That is why they are not pushing for the art to be returned. If the government should take the initiative by building a world class museum then placing temporarily an imitation of the stolen art. Just that alone can cause a chain of event for the real art to be returned. Do you know the tourism it would fetch? The pictures of those Benin bronze art is inspiring alone talk of the real deal. I used to marvel at the pictures of those bronze head in my primary school MacMillan textbooks. In my secondary school, a guy drew that and I was struck!!!!!

If one European visits Nigeria. At least he spends €3000, just imagine how many millions we will make from tourism alone if say a thousand foreigners come. Our people are usually very sharp when they see a foreigner as they charge 5 times the price, Lol. And to the Tourist, it is still cheap!

Part of my to do list!!!
Before I left Nigeria was to visit the National Theatre, a National Museum, I visited the slum I lived in when I was younger and other things I can't say here.... the process to visit these public places was so sketchy that I eventually gave up. I couldn't get proper opening times as it was December. There seem to be a myth about museums in Nigeria. Cos of how facinating the artefacts are, people are afraid of getting evil spirit. Please let's not kill tourism o.
I got fed up and settled for Nike centre for Art and Culture along Oba Eleguishi beach.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 4:53pm On Dec 27, 2020
I've lived in Lagos all my life and would see these women. Pls if you know them, can you pls tell me. I would have asked but it escaped my mind totally.

4 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Joohan: 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Are these ones also in Ireland? grin

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
Joohan:

Are these ones also in Ireland? grin

For where, wahala for person wey wear white for cold o
Re: Adventure In Ireland by seunny4lif(m): 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2020
grin
I dey alive
Be active on Nairaland but school load is too much jooor
And your work?
Chiggsglover:

Same bro, you still dey alive?

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by encryptjay(m): 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2020
Chiggsglover:

This is the tradition in Europe. The gift thing is also a form of appreciation. You're supposed to give things out to your music teacher, school teacher, driver, security men, regular delivery men, doctor, it might be box of sweet, chocolate or even Christmas. Some give bottle of wine also.

Just as the rich kill animals and share in Nigeria. We hope we get to that stage where quenching hunger is no more a way to celebrate Christmas. The irish themselves used to share pigs, cow parts as a way to celebrate Christmas. Ireland once had a terrible famine caused by Britain.
It's a very nice way of celebrating Christmas.
At bolded, we hope that stage comes pretty soon.
I love how you're acquainting yourself with knowledge about your host country, it's really commendable. One would think you've been residing there for years or even see you as an Irelander wink

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Brightfab(m): 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
Chiggs u get sense die, picked a lot of things from your write up.

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by badmanjo(m): 9:07pm On Dec 27, 2020
This write up is extremely rich, I Don't even know where to start from really, as for the art works it's better the Europeans keep it as you said and mehn if not that NiKe art gallery was a private Enterprise managed by an art lover, I bet it'll be no more today.... As for Christianity in 9ja, a lot of
us practice Hippocracity at it's finest

Chiggsglover:
I remembered when I visited this art studio at Lekki and I was star strucked.

This documentary is about looted art by the European from Nigeria especially Benin city, Cameroun, and Namibia.

Our ceremonial art works that fascinated the colonial masters who taught we were lesser beings have been taken from us by force and by transaction. The argument is that if not for them these arts would have have degraded and be lost in time. There's a call to get them back. But the question is, Do we have the infrastructure for that. Look at our museums, how many school have booked a Viewing for that. Part of my list before I left Nigeria was to view a museum cos my school's never took me to one. Except one small one at whispering palms in badagry. I was there twice and the second time I was there. A lot has dilapidated. It was shocking!!!!!

Some argued that if these arts are sent back to Nigeria. Our corrupt leaders will arranged to be sold back to the highest bidder, it might fall to one man who will mount it in his bedroom rather than in the public they currently are. So they argued that until we have a secured place, let it remain with them. One of the bust of oba of Benin art that was stolen, sold for 4.2M dollars. Convert that to naira. It's common sense to know that natural resources is not enough to take Nigeria out of poverty. Look at our oil. Countries without oil are even better. Rather we need to focus on satisfying the first need according to Maslow. People shouldn't sleep hungry abeg.

If you give a Nigerian a painting by Picasso, he might use it to divert the fumes from his small gen away from his window.

Nike said, it's only those who have eaten that can appreciate art. We don't appreciate art yet. You need to see the state of the other artefacts we have.
The first time I visited Nike Art studio. It was raining terribly that morning. So I walked in with my Umbrella dripping. She kindly showed me to a corner to keep it safely. And got a mop to clean up the ground. I never knew she's the owner of the Studio with more than 8000 artworks.

The big gen wasn't on then cos I was very early and right there in the picture. That's where her husband sits. We started to talk. I didn't know when 3 hours flew by. This was coming from a person with loads of experience. I didn't agree with everything he said. Because I was surrounded by the societal bias and Shit. We spoke about art to religion, that was the first time he opened my eye, What We Call Christianity in Nigeria is Shit.

I came across a post. The author wondered why a Christian come abroad and their prayer life reduces. A funny person wrote that, when you're abroad 70% of your prayer point is answered.. the government has done it. We do a lot of transactional prayer point fueled with greed and not love. And these pastors know that and pump their pocket. If you're an older Christian and still run after miracles. You're a baby. Miracles are not for adult. If you're still here and believe if you give God; First fruit, seeds, that you'll be rich, and you are not even in the process of production. You're greedy. You're just that the fool in the story of the money doubler. If you don't know that story, you can find it online.

If one European visits Nigeria. At least he spends €3000, just imagine how many millions we will make from tourism alone if say a thousand foreigners come. Our people are usually very sharp when they see a foreigner as they charge 5 times the price, Lol. And to the Tourist, it is still cheap!

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by DaDevin: 11:07pm On Dec 27, 2020
Chiggsglover:
I've lived in Lagos all my life and would see these women. Pls if you know them, can you pls tell me. I would have asked but it escaped my mind totally.
I believe they are fortune tellers. They look at you, tell you your problem or predict something about your future. Once I see any give me attention, I turn to the other side and ignore lol.
Christmas in the UK is not like Lagos, I was missing home grin

As per your write up on tourism, some of African countries generate most of their revenue from tourism (asides grants). I lived in The Gambia for 9 months in 2017, and tourism was a huge source of revenue to them. I wonder how they would cope this year due to COVID though.
We have so much sources to get revenue asides oil, but we want the fast way out. It takes a lot of investment to make money from tourism (case study Dubai as a tourist center). As long as we still think of how to solve basic needs, there will be less productivity. The leaders benefit from this since only a selected few enjoy the riches which in turn is squandered by the ruling class.
Coming to the UK, someone earning minimum wage can afford every necessity of life, how wouldn’t he/she think creatively?
A coursemate once said he went to Singapore for a year after 3 years at work, his reason was that he was tired of the job and needed motivation. His company gladly accepted him back when he came and even gave him audience if he wanted to share what he had learnt from his trip. Can this happen in Nigeria??
We have a long way to go, and the sad part is there is no action plan to show things will get better sooner.

8 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by seunny4lif(m): 11:42pm On Dec 27, 2020
Abeg, just forget about Nigeria, make you no go give yourself headache because of Nigeria as the leaders are visionless and useless
I have been to around 14 Africa countries before and most get their money from tourism but here in Nigeria, we don't even have our own airline?
DaDevin:

I believe they are fortune tellers. They look at you, tell you your problem or predict something about your future. Once I see any give me attention, I turn to the other side and ignore lol.

As per your write up on tourism, some of African countries generate most of their revenue from tourism (asides grants). I lived in The Gambia for 9 months in 2017, and tourism was a huge source of revenue to them. I wonder how they would cope this year due to COVID though.
We have so much sources to get revenue asides oil, but we want the fast way out. It takes a lot of investment to make money from tourism (case study Dubai as a tourist center). As long as we still think of how to solve basic needs, there will be less productivity. The leaders benefit from this since only a selected few enjoy the riches which in turn is squandered by the ruling class.
Coming to the UK, someone earning minimum wage can afford every necessity of life, how wouldn’t he/she think creatively?
A coursemate once said he went to Singapore for a year after 3 years at work, his reason was that he was tired of the job and needed motivation. His company gladly accepted him back when he came and even gave him audience if he wanted to share what he had learnt from his trip. Can this happen in Nigeria??
We have a long way to go, and the sad part is there is no action plan to show things will get better sooner.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Goodman247: 5:16am On Dec 28, 2020
grin grin
Chiggsglover:

Lol, if you have watched the movie, Victoria and Abdul, you notice the rest of the guest that was invited to the Queens Golden Jubilee stops when the queen drops her cutlery. You can't even continue because the servants are standing behind to clear the table for the next course.

In an ideal dinner in Europe, there's at least three course; the appetizers, the main course and dessert. In this Christmas dinner, we had Four course

I also got gift in cash. Everything in total was about €190. Including a gift card from my company to shop in specific shops.
see groove, in naija the best a. Good neighbor can do is give one painter of rice to another neighbour

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Naughtysex: 10:11am On Dec 28, 2020
Chiggsglover:

This is so true lots of opportunities to raise capital and invest, you can advance your career and grow easily. Ireland has one of the best minimum wage in the world, I get more than the minimum wage doing odd jobs. Also you can save up and japka to your dream country.
Before you come you just need to study a course that you can work with if you plan to stay for a long time.
please bro can i mail you?

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:04pm On Dec 28, 2020
seunny4lif:
grin
I dey alive
Be active on Nairaland but school load is too much jooor
And your work?
That's good?

You're in school?
Wow when you start
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:30pm On Dec 28, 2020
encryptjay:

It's a very nice way of celebrating Christmas.
At bolded, we hope that stage comes pretty soon.
I love how you're acquainting yourself with knowledge about your host country, it's really commendable. One would think you've been residing there for years or even see you as an Irelander wink
Hahahaha, who have time for gift in Nigeria when there's lots of hungry mouth to feed. A hot plate of jolloff rice with a fat chicken thigh is enough to make some people cry. That's how bad it is.

They've gone far ahead of hunger and are currently solving big problems like who else do we share this universe with, climate change. UK recently said they'll no longer produce petrol cars. Tesla is the new Rolls Royce. Either RR innovate or it will die. I'm more worries about those Vintage cars, the limited editions will end up in the museum or an electric engine will have to be installed to make them relevant. Time will come when petrol stations will be gathering dust. Families and countries that make money from oil will suffer.

The Emirates like Dubai, Qatar have built and created various ways to survive on tourism rather than oil. They achieved these with the same oil money.
What has Nigeria achieve from oil?
We're dependent on oil. Once oil becomes irrelevant, oil price will crash, so will our revenue. It's very hard for me to think of the repercussions. It's grim to be honest.

My job gives me the opportunity to meet people and I get engrossed in deep enriching conversation.
Before my job, I volunteered at a charity shop. But the pandemic closed down the shop along with other small businesses, so sad

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:33pm On Dec 28, 2020
Brightfab:
Chiggs u get sense die, picked a lot of things from your write up.

Hahahaha, I'm glad you did tho.

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:35pm On Dec 28, 2020
badmanjo:
This write up is extremely rich, I Don't even know where to start from really, as for the art works it's better the Europeans keep it as you said and mehn if not that NiKe art gallery was a private Enterprise managed by an art lover, I bet it'll be no more today.... As for Christianity in 9ja, a lot of
us practice Hippocracity at it's finest

Thank you very much bro.
These Pastorpreneurs have done lots of damage to Christianity.
They have healed Hiv aid, raised the dead, healed acute diseases, I'm yet to find anyone that have cured Covid. One woman with a deformity, her hand stretches and extends at will. This disability makes her shrink and extend the length of her hand. Would you believe that at least five churches used her for miracle. Hahahaha, I was just laughing. One guy in the comment section said the devil keeps sending her the deformity like software update.

At the moment, they all ran online to preach. You need to see Kenneth Copeland banish Covid on youtube. Some comedians did some tweaking on that video.

None of them have made any effort to spiritually attack the virus. Covid is just advanced cold, if they can banish almighty Aids, dragged a departed soul back to its earthly body. Why can they quench cold.

6 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:57pm On Dec 28, 2020
DaDevin:

This is super true, you're right. It really takes money to boost tourism. If you compare dubai and Nigeria, we have a lot to showcase. Better weather, animal, natural environment, national heritages, art works, and so on.

About those women, from your observation, you can say they're fortune teller. Those women always ignore me sha. Maybe there's no fortune to read on my head grin.
I mostly see them beg for money. Any other observation is welcomed.

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:58pm On Dec 28, 2020
seunny4lif:
Abeg, just forget about Nigeria, make you no go give yourself headache because of Nigeria as the leaders are visionless and useless
I have been to around 14 Africa countries before and most get their money from tourism but here in Nigeria, we don't even have our own airline?
I thought we started Nigeria Air

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:59pm On Dec 28, 2020
Goodman247:
grin ;Dsee groove, in naija the best a. Good neighbor can do is give one painter of rice to another neighbour
True sha, e make sha, na wetin person fit afford na
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:02pm On Dec 28, 2020
Naughtysex:

Why does Naughty Sex want to mail me.
I don die ooo!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:05pm On Dec 28, 2020
Naughtysex:
Just joking bro!

Sending a mail is a two step process which is super long. My Twitter handle is on my profile. DM me and we can have a conversation.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by seunny4lif(m): 6:19pm On Dec 28, 2020
October this year grin
Chiggsglover:

That's good?

You're in school?
Wow when you start

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Brightfab(m): 6:27pm On Dec 28, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Why does Naughty Sex want to mail me.
I don die ooo!!!!

Some monikers will make you begin to wonder the kind of human being behind them.
Well Chiggs Naughtysex get mail for you grin cheesy
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Joohan: 7:53pm On Dec 28, 2020
@Chiggsglover, What can you say about religion in Ireland? Since Dublin is almost a multicultural city, there should be lots of people with different religions there. I practice Islam, have you come by any mosque? Tho, I don't really practice religion like that. I'm just asking in case of change of heart grin

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Naughtysex: 9:37pm On Dec 28, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Why does Naughty Sex want to mail me. I don die ooo!!!!
the person behind this moniker is the opposite of his name o
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Naughtysex: 9:37pm On Dec 28, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Just joking bro!

Sending a mail is a two step process which is super long. My Twitter handle is on my profile. DM me and we can have a conversation.
thanks
i will hit you up
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Naughtysex: 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2020
Brightfab:

Some monikers will make you begin to wonder the kind of human being behind them.
Well Chiggs Naughtysex get mail for you grin cheesy
grin
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Naughtysex: 11:06pm On Dec 28, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Sure you can, its health related, if me that's a commercial student that's now into IT can work in care, why not You.
For odd jobs in Ireland whether in warehouse, kitchen, care, security, they've made it easier, I wish someone gave me this information when I was coming here.

I would have saved myself time I wasted in Sending out application forms in all manners of sectors. I received loads of rejection emails especially when they saw I was a full time student and will be unable to work with them Full time. Pls dont make the mistake.
It got to a point that I was getting 10 refusal email per day until I saw the light which I will show you all.

From all the rejections, I still get some even now. Maybe one in a week, some of these folks might keep the CV till they need workers, the lockdown meant no jobs.
From the rejections, I got about 5 calls, I guess they didn't know I couldn't work full time, immediately I told them I was a full time student, the tone changed and we politely agreed to disagree.
In all I got to know that There are Jobs in Ireland.

Spotlight,
If you want a Job, Odd jobs, don't squeeze your face cos of the name, that's the same job you'll do if you're in Canada, US or UK. UK is tougher because my friends there can't work.
The country has made it easier for international students but if you dont know these things, your family will join hand with pastor in Nigeria to settle your matter with God.
Just as The country's universities has paid-agents for free consultation for admission, course and visa assistance, they have Recruitment Agencies here that will look at your schedule and provide you with jobz. Imagine that.
Just imagine you're in Nigeria and youre able to work for just two days in a week, with the money, you're able to pay your house rent, buy food, and dress fashionably, if you save up properly, you can afford a car (a friend bought a compact car, the make is more than 10 years, but its neat, car was €700, insurance €1200 a year, tax was €300). All of these with the income you made in Two days/week.

Dont let anyone deceive you its better to be based Only in Nigeria, the Racism we're crying about here is worse in Nigeria, we call it tribalism. When people like us come here and the country has pampered us, we've seen the other side of life, and are sensitive to any discomfort whatsoever.
Yeah sensitive, I wont be able to handle 30mins in Lagos hold up now.

The good thing here is that The Gardai dont carry guns, I was shocked to hear that actually. The only carry batons, handcuffs, it was two years ago that they were allowed to carry tasers. Citizens here dont move around with guns, so theres no need for that.
Maybe in the UK, the cops might be allowed to carry knives, just joking.
The cops in the USA have their guns since their citizens carry gun. You do not take a knife to a Gun fight.

We have Recruitment Agencies scattered about, just go on Google and you'll find them. Security agencies and care is the easiest jobs here. Most security jobs demands you sit in front of a CCTV, just that the barriers is that you need to pay €300 for the training but the good thing is that their wage per hour is comparatively higher.
For health, care companies have their and some render free training while for others, you pay.
For warehouse and kitchen porters job, you need to get manual handling and Food safety certification. Each cost about €40. The same place you do it will provide you with jobs .if you're tired of them, you can take your certificate to another agency, get registered and start working without paying a dime because you already have what it takes.

I love this
Re: Adventure In Ireland by imran90(m): 6:56am On Dec 29, 2020
Chiggsglover:
I thought we started Nigeria Air
Nigeria Air is just like vision 2020.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by ashatoda: 7:36am On Dec 29, 2020
imran90:
Nigeria Air is just like vision 2020.
please where is the manifestation of the vision cos 2020 don finish o. ,,����

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (94) (Reply)

Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response / *** General Irish VISIT/TOURIST VISA Enquiries *** / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.