Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples (1000 Views)

Nigerian Couple Welcomes Sextuplets After Seven Years Of Childlessness (Photos) / Susan Egenti Delivers Quintuplets After 16 Years Of Childlessness / Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets (4 Boys) After Years Of Childlessness (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 21, 2020
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJJdE47xG5XMiXWihxe_1iMDAlgU9AfXiq07p6kxHn4qzowg/viewform?usp=sf_link
Please this is strictly for those who have relations who are childless, or couples who are experiencing childlessness at the moment or have experienced childlessness at one time in their life.
The definition of childlessness in this research is any of the following:
1. Never had a child before since marriage.
2. Had multiple miscarriages and as a result not having any child.
3. Have one child either from a previous marriage or present marriage and wanting more but not having any yet.
4. Had children but lost them to an accident, or unatural causes and as a result became childless.
Please if you fall into any of these categories or have lived with anyone who has any of these experiences i need response from you about the socio-cultural impact this condition places on them.
The socio-cultural impact can be any os the following:
1. Marital relationship aspect
2. Religious and spiritual effects
3. Stigma
4. Identity, social construction and meaning
5. Treatment technology
6. Sexual dysfunction
7. Ridicule and verbal abuse
8. Legal aspects
I look forward to your responses and help in generating results. Thank you.
Please do not forget to stay safe.
Lalasticlala mynd44 dominique

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 23, 2020
Is it corona virus that is chasing you guys away from this thread or what?
cheesy grin
Please help me share your opinions, i need your assistance to get my facts.
Thank you. kiss (corona free) wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by sagitariusbaby(m): 3:12pm On May 15, 2020
So have so much to say about this but I can't type much because of my busy nature. Please feel free to email me so I can relay my experience

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 3:31pm On May 15, 2020
Please if you fall into any of these categories or have lived with anyone who has any of these experiences i need response from you about the socio-cultural impact this condition places on them.

I live outside Africa. . . . I would like to state that there are absolutely none to VARIED! Since some pets or cars are more valued than children. CHECK✔️

Reason? Childlessness among MARRIED couples CAN BE STRICTLY A CHOICE! kiss

Only in the minds of those who make having children a “desperate” situation will the “case” be termed a “condition”. wink

Like all “conditions“, it could be could be ACUTE or CHRONIC! With various levels of cures. kiss

Talking of socio-cultural impacts? Depends on who you ask. One size does not fit all!

The most populous countries in the world suffer the greatest economic impact. The least populous countries have the greatest cultural impact.

Impacts could be negative or positive. kiss

On an individual basis? All about personal choices! Abortion is also a form of birth control. CHECK✔️kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:22am On May 19, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

I live outside Africa. . . . I would like to state that there are absolutely none to VARIED! Since some pets or cars are more valued than children. CHECK✔️

Only in the minds of those who make having children a “desperate” situation will the “case” be termed a “condition”. wink

Like all “conditions“, it could be could be ACUTE or CHRONIC! With various levels of cures. kiss

Talking of socio-cultural impacts? Depends on who you ask. One size does not fit all!

The most populous countries in the world suffer the greatest economic impact. The least populous countries have the greatest cultural impact.

Impacts could be negative or positive. kiss

On an individual basis? All about personal choices! Abortion is also a form of birth control. CHECK✔️kiss
My research is focused on involuntary childlessness.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:23am On May 19, 2020
sagitariusbaby:
So have so much to say about this but I can't type much because of my busy nature. Please feel free to email me so I can relay my experience
Can i send an email through nairaland or you want to send your email?
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 3:43pm On May 19, 2020
Alero3Arubi:

My research is focused on involuntary childlessness.

That has a cure too.
1. Surrogacy.
2. Adoption.
3. IVF.

In this day and age, childlessness REMAINS A CHOICE! If you want BIOLOGY, you can get BIOLOGY! kiss
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 19, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

That has a cure too.
1. Surrogacy.
2. Adoption.
3. IVF.

In this day and age, childlessness REMAINS A CHOICE! If you want BIOLOGY, you can get BIOLOGY! kiss
Did you read my beginning post at all?
Please i think you need to go and reread it again to understand what i am researching on.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 5:10pm On May 19, 2020
Alero3Arubi:

Did you read my beginning post at all?
Please i think you need to go and reread it again to understand what i am researching on.

I read it and the title is misleading then. More like a QUESTION, than a research.
Even when there is ONE child, you still include the couple as “childless”? undecided

Please this is strictly for those who have relations who are childless, or couples who are experiencing childlessness at the moment or have experienced childlessness at one time in their life.
The definition of childlessness in this research is any of the following:
1. Never had a child before since marriage.
2. Had multiple miscarriages and as a result not having any child.
3. Have one child either from a previous marriage or present marriage and wanting more but not having any yet.
4. Had children but lost them to an accident, or unatural causes and as a result became childless.

Alero3Arubi:

3. Stigma
5. Treatment technology
6. Sexual dysfunction
8. Legal aspects
I look forward to your responses and help in generating results. Thank you.
Please do not forget to stay safe.

What exactly is the purpose of your research. All research usually have a PURPOSE STATEMENT. I don’t see any. Just your own THEORY.

Where are your statistical data? undecided

No research here o. You already have a conclusion. kiss

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Besida(f): 5:37pm On May 19, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

I read it and the title is misleading then. More like a QUESTION, than a research.
Even when there is ONE child, you still include the couple as “childless”? undecided

What exactly is the purpose of your research. All research usually have a PURPOSE STATEMENT. I don’t see any. Just your own THEORY.

I believe the OP wants people to state their experiences based on the criteria she laid out.
I do not think you quite understand her though.
She is on a research and those are her requirements and area of interest that she wants covered.
What would ypu have suggested to be the topic?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 19, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

1. That's secondary infertility.
2. I want to find out the Socio-cultural factors that affect childless couples in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 7:14pm On May 19, 2020
Besida:

I believe the OP wants people to state their experiences based on the criteria she laid out.
I do not think you quite understand her though.
She is on a research and those are her requirements and area of interest that she wants covered.
What would ypu have suggested to be the topic?

Ok. I have stated mine. Over to others. kiss

KanwuliaExtra:

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 7:15pm On May 19, 2020
Alero3Arubi:

1. That's secondary infertility.
2. I want to find out the Socio-cultural factors that affect childless couples in Nigeria.

Ok. My experience again.

KanwuliaExtra:

NO IMPACT. A STALEMATE!
Simply put: ONE MAN’S CURSE IS ANOTHER MAN’S BLESSING. kiss

I work and live with all kinds of married people with mixed reviews on having children or not. At the end of it all. . . No difference.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 7:31pm On May 19, 2020
These are the impacts you identified. Please explain how and why, so I can understand. kiss

Alero3Arubi:

3. Stigma
5. Treatment technology
6. Sexual dysfunction
8. Legal aspects.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 7:40pm On May 19, 2020
Your #1.
Marital Relationships.

In these 2 articles for example, childlessness is NOT a reason for marital strife. . . . . Only in places like NIGERIA AND CONTINENTS LIKE AFRICA. . . . . Where marriage is SOLELY for BREEDING PURPOSES.✔️

https://bestlegalchoices.com/6-common-causes-of-marital-problems/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/marriage-problems-solutions-10-years_n_5c2a4a80e4b08aaf7a92bcfb/amp
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 7:42pm On May 19, 2020
Your #2.
Religious and Spiritual Effects? undecided

What religions are you using to illustrate this point? How? I can’t fathom. Please, explain. cheesy
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 7:48pm On May 19, 2020
Your #3.
Stigma.

From whom? From Where? undecided

This should interest you. wink
Is this the kind of stigma you are referring to? undecided

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1471-2393-13-72

There is a tendency of society to blame the woman for failed conception [13]. Consequently, the accepted norm is that infertility in a couple stigmatises the wife as barren and the husband as sterile. In this manner the implication of sterility presents men with an opportunity to abandon barren wives and de-stigmatise themselves by opting out of childless marriages.

Participants’ in a study conducted in Cape Town indicated that they had to deal with being called Idlolo, meaning barren and stjoekoe (failure) [5]. Traditional customs, such as having to wear a scarf until a woman has a child also contributes to more pressure on women who suffer from infertility.

In a study in South Africa, women expressed that they felt especially stigmatized and ridiculed in their families and in their communities. Participants’ described how they were sworn at, shouted at, cursed and victimized, seeing themselves as outcast, especially within their husbands’ families.

https://academic.oup.com/socpro/article-abstract/33/4/268/1644853?redirectedFrom=fulltext

I conclude that, although physically infertile women feel more stigmatized, physically fertile women manage information more actively to protect their husbands from the stigma associated with sexual dysfunction.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 8:37pm On May 19, 2020
Your #4.
Identity, social construction and meaning.

Like I started earlier, depends on who you ask. It is all here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/02/the-desire-to-have-a-child-never-goes-away-how-the-involuntarily-childless-are-forming-a-new-movement

It’s noticeable, in the comments section of Day’s blog, how often it’s mothers, not fathers or other childless women, who most frequently cause upset or offence among people who have not been able to have children.

“Surely a mother is more than someone who has children? And I’m more than someone who doesn’t.”

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Oladayo12(m): 9:02pm On May 19, 2020
Alero3Arubi:

Can i send an email through nairaland or you want to send your email?
I have someone who had lost 11 pregnancies, the option 2 is the effect i notice

1 Like

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:33am On May 20, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

Ok. My experience again.

NO IMPACT. A STALEMATE!
Simply put: ONE MAN’S CURSE IS ANOTHER MAN’S BLESSING. kiss

I work and live with all kinds of married people with mixed reviews on having children or not. At the end of it all. . . No difference.

Well you fall outside my research area so thanks for your interest.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:34am On May 20, 2020
Oladayo12:
I have someone who had lost 11 pregnancies, the option 2 is the effect i notice
I do not quite understand what you mean.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Nobody: 9:37am On May 20, 2020
@kanwuliaextra I AM LOOKING FOR FOCUS INTERVIEWS NOT PUBLISHED RECORDS.
I have done my research but now i am stuck with interviews and questionnaire generation. Because of the current pandemic restrictioms, it is difficult to carry it out so i am stuck with seeking for it online.
Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by KanwuliaExtra: 9:50am On May 20, 2020
Alero3Arubi:
@kanwuliaextra I AM LOOKING FOR FOCUS INTERVIEWS NOT PUBLISHED RECORDS.
I have done my research but now i am stuck with interviews and questionnaire generation. Because of the current pandemic restrictioms, it is difficult to carry it out so i am stuck with seeking for it online.

Shey Na “research” you want? cheesy

You want “focused” interviews from NLanders?
Where do you expect to get these interviews from?

There are already sooooo many topics online about this. Just trying to share them:

Ok. Let us wait for the “focused interviews” on NL.

Good luck! kiss

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Socio-cultural Impact Of Childlessness Among Married Couples by Oladayo12(m): 2:22pm On May 20, 2020
Alero3Arubi:

I do not quite understand what you mean.
The option 2 you listed above is the socio-cultural effect to the 11 miscarrages by a known woman. Hope you got this?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Most Common Words Used In 2020 So Far / Mixed Reactions As A Kind Man Allows Children To Watch Tv In His Home / Hear The Cry Of A Mother!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.