Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,928 members, 7,956,482 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:43 PM

Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? (1094 Views)

She Caught Her Husband Red Handed, Cheating. / Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 15, 2020
Okay. Let's go

As a kid I always thought the right hand was the perfect hand.(that's what they made me believe). Back then if you dare give or receive anything from any adult from your left hand grin you know what's coming won't be pleasant. At a point when I got to meet my father's sisters (most of them stay outside our state) they were overwhelmed with joy that I was not left handed like my father and I was like whaaaat? They even praised God for it(I didn't grow up with my father so he never emphasized the rigid use of my right hand)

What made me create this thread is cos of what happened today.i wanted to go somewhere but I had 100 Naira and the money I have won't be able to convey from my start point to my end point so I trekked about 30 minutes till I got to a place I will pay 50 Naira .
When it was time for me to alight, I dipped my left hand into my left pocket to get cash for the driver. What the driver did next baffled me to the core. He almost took the money from my hand but realising that I used my left hand he quickly restrained his hand. He told me to use my right hand.

Na so I look this man and the I said something I never expected myself. I told him "Oga if you have a problem with my left hand ask God why he gave it to me" after saying this , the driver drove off. Without any remorse from me I just dipped my money into my pocket again. When it was time to go back home I paid for the full length of my journey.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by olus01(m): 12:06am On Sep 16, 2020
In as mush as u are yoruba, left hand had been a taboo. using it to collect or give things mostly between u and the elders, because the left hand is most for the trash or forbiden things
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by DICKstractor: 12:41am On Sep 16, 2020
I'm left handed and proud.

7 Likes

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by illicit(m): 5:17am On Sep 16, 2020
I don't have issues with southpaws

But I won't want my wife and children to be southpaws because of this discrimination that comes with it
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by fati2001(m): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2020
and I love those using left hands, wish I'm one of them

4 Likes

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 16, 2020
fati2001:
and I love those using left hands, wish I'm one of them
the way they do things makes me feel that they are somewhat special from right handed people

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by fati2001(m): 8:00am On Sep 16, 2020
Masonkaycares:
the way they do things makes me feel that they are somewhat special from right handed people
especially that writing field.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by mutter(f): 8:11am On Sep 16, 2020
I am left handed.
But I learnt to eat and shake hands with right hand.
Allot of criticism as a child.
But you can learn it after all the second hand isn't meant to be totally redundant.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by thorpido(m): 8:51am On Sep 16, 2020
mutter:
I am left handed.
But you can learn it after all the second hand isn't meant to be totally redundant.
Exactly.
I have a son who is left handed and I never discouraged him from using his left hand.I do encourage him to use his right to collect and give things though.He can be ambidextrous.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 16, 2020
fati2001:

especially that writing field.
not only writing. Left handed doctors are on another level

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Lefty500: 1:14pm On Sep 16, 2020
Well, the stigma is so really, and people look at me like I'm an alien. My parents, especially my mum tried to change me to right hand, because I was the only kid in the whole street that's left handed, and when I didn't give elders things with my right hand, the insults would bounce back to my mum, like she didn't train me well.
(Yoruba elders know how to insult you plus your ancestors).

My savoir was my primary school teacher that stood up for me, she encouraged and wooed my parents to let me be. I later found out that the woman liked my handwriting, I was the only one that used to get excellent on writing lesson.

The problem is that we see the world in binary, (black or white, up or down, good or bad, left or right), that has created baseless taboo, and we have turned to believe and it's now part of our life.

When you are looking for something, first thing some people will ask you is if you put the thing in a place with your left hand.

Even most inventors stigmise us.
The keyboard has the number pad on the right hand.
Scissors works well for right handed.
The guitar.
The automatic car pedals.

I'm proud to be a lefty.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by otipoju(m): 2:06pm On Sep 16, 2020
Because the thief that did not receive forgiveness on the cross was the thief on the left hand of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by NobleAngell(f): 2:57pm On Sep 16, 2020
I will encourage my kids to use their left hands if they turn out left-handed.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by NobleAngell(f): 3:02pm On Sep 16, 2020
otipoju:
Because the thief that did not receive forgiveness on the cross was the thief on the left hand of Jesus.
Is this the reason? I hope not, cos this is crazy, illogical not to mention primitive.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 16, 2020
otipoju:
And his right hand was pointing towards Jesus.. oya respect ya self ooo
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 16, 2020
Lefty500:
Well, the stigma is so really, and people look at me like I'm an alien. My parents, especially my mum tried to change me to right hand, because I was the only kid in the whole street that's left handed, and when I didn't give elders things with my right hand, the insults would bounce back to my mum, like she didn't train me well.

My savoir was my primary school teacher that stood up for me, she encouraged and wooed my parents to let me be. I later found out that the woman liked my handwriting, I was the only one that used to get excellent on writing lesson.

The problem is that we see the world in binary, (black or white, up or down, good or bad, left or right), that has created baseless taboo, and we have turned to believe and it's now part of our life.

When you are looking for something, first thing some people will ask you is if you put the thing in a place with your left hand.

The guitar.

I'm proud to be a lefty.
All these things were created by right handed people.. All they do is create for themselves and not for others.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by ladychioma: 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2020
mutter:
I am left handed.
I,m left handed and I,m using to do most things even though my mum doesn't like it. My left handedness is inborn
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by ladychioma: 3:14pm On Sep 16, 2020
Lefty500:

The guitar.

I'm proud to be a lefty.
My brother it's not only in Yoruba land that they frown at it, Igbo land is even the worse. A good number of them verbally abused my mum and me. But my husband likes it.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by otipoju(m): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2020
NobleAngell:
Is this the reason? I hope not, cos this is crazy, illogical not to mention primitive.

Na am just kidding.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Karleb(m): 5:46pm On Sep 16, 2020
I have a personal admiration for left handed people.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Karleb(m): 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2020
ladychioma:

My brother it's not only in Yoruba land that they frown at it, Igbo land is even the worse. A good number of them verbally abused my mum and me. But my husband likes it.

cheesy

I can't count the number of times my Igbo customer said "sorry for the left".

It's a Nigerian thing.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Karleb(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2020
Lefty500:

The guitar.

I'm proud to be a lefty.

It's not stigmatizm. Think from a producer's point of view.

I've not met up to 100 lefties in my life and I've met a whole lot of people.

...and I'm sure we have keyboard, musical instruments, car and the likes specifically made for left handed people.

If I had a product to sell, it'll be targeted towards the righties. I can only think of the lefties after making excess gain.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by crackhaus: 9:29pm On Sep 16, 2020
Are they frowned upon really? Can't relate.

I've got a younger brother who's been left-handed since he was able to grab things. No one ever made him feel bad for it while we were growing up.

We don't even remember he's a leftie anymore.
Now I'm going to observe him the next time I see him, I really had forgotten he was left-handed..lol grin

Oh and he writes beautifully too.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by NoToPile: 9:46pm On Sep 16, 2020
They are not really frowned upon, just that peeps can be very superstitious, some believe collecting money from someones left hand brings ill luck to the money ( traders in Yorubaland believe this)

It can also be seen as a sign of disrespect, giving elders stuff with left hand .

Its not really a stigma as you put it.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by merieam16(f): 1:38am On Sep 17, 2020
I love leftees! most of them er genius, though culture doesnt accept u using it buh u can find a way of managing it by using both hands
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Lefty500: 7:02am On Sep 17, 2020
Karleb:

It's not stigmatizm. Think from a producer's point of view.

I've not met up to 100 lefties in my life and I've met a whole lot of people.

...and I'm sure we have keyboard, musical instruments, car and the likes specifically made for left handed people.

If I had a product to sell, it'll be targeted towards the righties. I can only think of the lefties after making excess gain.

OK fine. Na to dey order for custom made product.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by ImaIma1(f): 7:13am On Sep 17, 2020
illicit:
I don't have issues with southpaws

But I won't want my wife and children to be southpaws because of this discrimination that comes with it

Really?

I know someone, a doctor who prayed for his child to be left handed. There's this belief that they are always smart. He admires my daughter because she uses both. I don't mind it.
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Biglittlelois(f): 8:20am On Sep 17, 2020
I use to be left handed until I was forced to stop at a tender age, now I'm left and right handed.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by illicit(m): 11:00am On Sep 17, 2020
ImaIma1:

Really?

I know someone, a doctor who prayed for his child to be left handed. There's this belief that they are always smart. He admires my daughter because she uses both. I don't mind it.

Yes being ambidextrous is cute

My sisters twins are like that

But being a southpaw, using only or mostly the left hand is something else....
Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by TheeDetective: 9:04pm On Sep 17, 2020
@Op; good topic and this is the sort I want to see on front page and not the trash which has been the norm for some time.

Back to topic, ignorance is what makes ANYONE frown at a left-handed person. THE HAND YOU USE IS WHAT YOUR BRAIN TELLS YOU TO USE. IF YOUR BRAIN TELLS YOU TO USE YOUR RIGHT HAND, YOU WILL USE YOUR RIGHT AND IF IT SAYS YOUR LEFT HAND, THEN YOU WILL USE YOUR LEFT. PEOPLE DON’T REALISE THAT IF YOU TRY TO CORRECT THE CHILD, YOU MAY MESS UP THE CHILD PSYCHOLOGICALLY AND THIS MAY ALSO HAVE AN IMPACT ACADEMICALLY AS WELL I.E THE CHILD MAY BECOME SLOW AT LEARNING. ALL THE LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE I KNOW ARE VERY INTELLIGENT AND HIGH ACHIEVERS; SAME WITH RIGHT-HANDED PEOPLE WHICH SHOWS THAT IRRESPECTIVE OF THE HAND YOU USE, IT WOULDN’T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO ONES LIFE. If parents are so worried, then they can train the child to use both their right and left hand equally well to become ambidextrous rather than stop the child completely from using the hand that their brain tells them to use. At least, I have seen the comments of some here where they can use both their hands or they train their child to use both hands as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Society Frown Against Left Handed People? by Motirayo2018(f): 9:51pm On Sep 17, 2020
My second daughter is also a lefthanded. I tried forcing her to use right hand for writing because it was not easy teaching her.. one days she said I can't use right hand .I allow her.

now she right so well with lefthand..she ate swallow with right hand but she does everything else with lefthand..

(1) (Reply)

MOTHER REFUSES DAUGHTERS WISH... WHAT WILL YOU DO?? / Relocation Sales / Just Advice. I Need It Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.