Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: (27768 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by humblemoi: 11:28pm On Jan 18, 2011
May this will help settle some curiosity.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/index.php

Its about the update on student visa and post study work visa, Although its an update from last year, so I gather from this that by January 31st, a more light will be shed on the tier4 student visa stiffer requirements or / and the post study work visa.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 1:54am On Jan 19, 2011
I got this from the link from the UKBA website as pasted above and I just wanted to highlight it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/consultations/students/student-consultation.pdf?view=Binary

"Limiting the entitlements of students to work and
sponsor dependants
• Students should only be allowed to work on
campus during the week and for any external
employer at weekends and during vacation
periods.
• Where a course includes a work placement,
raise the minimum ratio of study to work
placement from 50:50 to 66:33 so that these
types of courses become less attractive to people
using them as a way to gain access to the UK
employment market.
• Remove permission to work for all dependants of
Tier 4 students, except where they qualify in their
own right under Tier 1 or Tier 2 of the PBS.
• Only those Tier 4 students studying for more
than 12 months to be allowed to bring their
dependants to the UK."

This will simply mean that if you intend for your spouse to work to support you while you study (much like you can do currently), it will not be possible if the proposal goes through,  Hmmmm

Talking about working in the campus. What kind of jobs exist in UK campuses for students to do and how many non-EU students are getting them?

"Ensuring students return overseas after their course
• Students wanting to remain in the UK after their
initial course to extend their studies will have to
show clear evidence of academic progression to
a higher level. We are also considering whether
such students should be required to leave the
UK and re-apply from overseas.
Close the Tier 1 Post Study Work route."

This is in response to what Tensor has been saying here. Through out all the period I have been here in the UK, I can hardly remember a consultation proposal that was not put into effect in the April immediately after the proposal was made. This consultation explicitly says CLOSE THE TIER 1 POST STUDY WORK ROUTE  and the document released in November did not list the post study work as one of the visa categories that will continue come April.

[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]We are also considering whether
such students should be required to leave the
UK and re-apply from overseas

So if you finish your programme and you want to continue into another programme, you will have to go to 9ja to re-apply if they are able to put this forward.

Hmmm, it even sounds more severe than I anticipated!!!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 2:10am On Jan 19, 2011
@Tensor777,
Just to back my statement about Nigerians and their ultimate intention after their studies in the UK, Please look at the table in page 14 of the this link obtained from the UKBA and tell me what you think. Compare Nigeria and other countries.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/consultations/students/student-consultation.pdf?view=Binary
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by AjanleKoko: 2:52pm On Jan 19, 2011
Guys,
Forgive me for being slow, but is there any other reason for studying abroad, asides taking up permanent residence in that country? I mean, in today's world, is there really any other reason? If there is, I would really like to know.

1 Like

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by SEFAGO(m): 3:00pm On Jan 19, 2011
^ maybe because nigerian higher education is crap and most companies know its crap, and so getting a degree outside nigeria might help you not be viewed as crap grin

crap, how many times did i say crap?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 19, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Guys,
Forgive me for being slow, but is there any other reason for studying abroad, asides taking up permanent residence in that country? I mean, in today's world, is there really any other reason? If there is, I would really like to know.

Many many reasons in fact as you should know Ajanlekoko.
Maybe the quality of education is better
Maybe the degree is more marketable
Maybe because it opens the door to networking.
Maybe because of the unique research opportunities that are opened.
Maybe because one can thereby secure a graduate level job in the country of study.
Maybe because the parents can afford it and there is an opportunity to experience life in another culture.

I could go on and on but you get my drift. It is not just about merely existing or surviving in the West as a manual labourer or refugee or even an illegal immigrant
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 3:06pm On Jan 19, 2011
Whats up Tensor, did you check out the statistics mentioned above? I was just trying to back my statements up because you said that there is no evidence that most Nigerians who come to study in the UK stay back afterwards. You also said that cancelling Tier 1 post study is not in the pipeline. Please read my post and the links and get back to me.
AjanleKoko:

Guys,

Ol boy, you are not slow at all. A great majority of Nigerians especially those who have never left the shores of our beloved country, almost equate a student visa (Tier 4 as they have baptised it now) with a settlement visa and they don't understand the intricacies of the immigration here until they arrive. If the proposals put forward are accepted, it will be really difficult to study here if you are not from a well-to-do family or if you are not under some form of sponsorship.

I maintain my earlier stands. The education in the UK is superb (not putting Nigerian education down). Nigerian education is also superb when you look at the course content and the curriculum. The only problem with Nigerian education is the implementation of this curriculum and exam malpractice which is now a custom in Nigeria. My point about the UK again is this. If you are coming here with the sole intention of studying and going back as soon as you finish (immediately ASAP!!!) and you have a strong financial base in 9ja, then go ahead because the education you will receive will be an asset for you back in 9ja or even in any other country. But if you want to use the student visa as a means to eventually settle in the UK (as most people do and as the Home Office statistics show), then think about it very carefully and possibly, wait till April and see if the proposals will be put into effect (which I am almost certain they will) before you venture into the UK so that you will know what you will be facing. I will not tell anyone not to come here. All I am saying is LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!!!!!

Cheers
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 19, 2011
^^We have gone over all this before haven't we? The fact is that some students mainly those doing a course below degree level, use the tier4 visa as a means of permanently settling in England. Hence this is why the loopholes are being tightened as they should be.
However what we are discussing here are degree level students and what their plans are after graduation. Lets stick to that if we can
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by AjanleKoko: 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2011
tensor777:

Many many reasons in fact as you should know Ajanlekoko.
Maybe the quality of education is better
Maybe the degree is more marketable
Maybe because it opens the door to networking.
Maybe because of the unique research opportunities that are opened.
Maybe because one can thereby secure a graduate level job in theb  country of study.
Maybe because the parents can afford it and there is an opportunity to experience life in another culture.

I could go on and on but you get my drift. It is not just about merely existing or surviving in the West as a manual labourer or refugee or even an illegal immigrant

Hmm.
Lots of maybes. But let's not get things twisted.
My perception, which is formed by my personal experience, is a lot less sentimental.

Firstly, the foreign degree is not more marketable in Nigeria than a Nigerian degree. In a few niche circumstances, some MNCs recruit Nigerians from abroad. But the labour market in its entirety is agnostic. Even the biggest companies in Nigeria recruit primarily from Nigerian universities.

Secondly, most people can't really afford it. In the 90s when i went to school, a lot of people left Nigerian universities for abroad, assisted by older siblings living there, or by wealthy parents, occasioned by the many strikes. Now people are selling property to send their children abroad. Would you sell your property in NG for your child to go abroad to study and come back to Nigeria, knowing the state of the local job market? I think not.

That said, everything else you wrote, I agree with. Foreign degrees offer a lot of possibilities - the vast majority of which reside outside Nigeria. I happen to believe that anyone who relocates abroad for further studies is justified to seek employment in that country, after making that significant investment. If the UK is changing their immigration laws, then it is only right for admission seekers to ignore UK schools, but rather focus on chasing the limited opportunities in Nigeria, without having to spend all that money. Essentially, I agree with the OP.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 3:30pm On Jan 19, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
Lots of maybes. But let's not get things twisted.
My perception, which is formed by my personal experience, is a lot less sentimental.

Firstly, the foreign degree is not more marketable in Nigeria than a Nigerian degree. In a few niche circumstances, some MNCs recruit Nigerians from abroad. But the labour market in its entirety is agnostic. Even the biggest companies in Nigeria recruit primarily from Nigerian universities.

Secondly, most people can't really afford it. In the 90s when i went to school, a lot of people left Nigerian universities for abroad, assisted by older siblings living there, or by wealthy parents, occasioned by the many strikes. Now people are selling property to send their children abroad. Would you sell your property in NG for your child to go abroad to study and come back to Nigeria, knowing the state of the local job market? I think not.

That said, everything else you wrote, I agree with. Foreign degrees offer a lot of possibilities - the vast majority of which reside outside Nigeria. I happen to believe that anyone who relocates abroad for further studies is justified to seek employment in that country, after making that significant investment. If the UK is changing their immigration laws, then it is only right for admission seekers to ignore UK schools, but rather focus on chasing the limited opportunities in Nigeria, without having to spend all that money. Essentially, I agree with the OP.

Spot on!!
tensor777:

^^We have gone over all this before haven't we? The fact is that some students mainly those doing a course below degree level, use the tier4 visa as a means of permanently settling in England. Hence this is why the loopholes are being tightened as they should be.
However what we are discussing here are degree level students and what their plans are after graduation. Lets stick to that if we can

The thread is about studying in the UK irrespective of the level of study. The change in law will not spare the B.sc and the M.sc students. They are talking about stopping Post Study Work in its entierty not stopping it for those who are studying for less than an M.sc or B.sc.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.

Well let's not kid ourselves here. Some Nigerians are in fact very cash rich as are the Japs and the Chinese. These guys I see can definitely afford it .
As for your final point well what we have is just a proposal. We will just have to wait and see what happens in April.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 3:48pm On Jan 19, 2011
tensor777:

As you earlier mentioned, let's focus on the right population here - Nigerians have historically used degree level studies as the predominant means of settling and NOT[/b]degrees below degree level. The evidence as displayed in the UKBA statistics strongly confirms this. Other nationalities might have pursued other routes, but not Nigerians.

Beyond a mere 'tightening of loopholes', removing the post study is DIRECTLY aimed at limiting the number of degree level foreign students who can get jobs after graduation.

tensor777:

Well let's not kid ourselves here.[b] Some
Nigerians are in fact very cash rich as are the Japs and the Chinese. These guys I see can definitely afford it .
As for your final point well what we have is just a proposal. We will just have to wait and see what happens in April.

The key word here being some - as the OP has stated, he is addressing the larger percentage of Nigerians who are not cash rich, aren't able to travel just for networking/experiencing a different culture and so on. This group is seeking to use their education abroad PRIMARILY as a ticket out of Nigeria.

While you've made valid points with regards to painting a balanced picture and making premature conclusions, the core message of the OP is clear - plans are afoot to make settlement more onerous and less straightforward for intending migrants.

Anyone intending to make a journey with settlement in mind would do well to appraise the situation properly before jumping in. While no one can say 'don't go' or 'go' to the UK, people can provide a guide based on their knowledge and experience.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 4:00pm On Jan 19, 2011
debosky:

Anyone intending to make a journey with settlement in mind would do well to appraise the situation properly before jumping in. While no one can say 'don't go' or 'go' to the UK, people can provide a guide based on their knowledge and experience.

Another person who understands my point.
tensor777:

Well let's not kid ourselves here. Some Nigerians are in fact very cash rich as are the Japs and the Chinese. These guys I see can definitely afford it .

Affordability is always a relative terminology. The vast majority of Nigerians are people who struggled through thick and thin to be able to present themselves as worthy of a student visa to the BHC. The category you are mentioning here is a very slim minority. For those minority, this thread is of no importance. But for those ones whose parents have sold their property and they have borrowed a distant uncle's bank statement (When that was still allowed) just to get here, those are the people this thread will make sense to.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by anbell: 4:04pm On Jan 19, 2011
deboshy  .may you please get in touch with me on this email mooh_desire@yahoo.co.uk.it very impt
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia6: 10:20pm On Jan 25, 2011
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tunnytox(m): 11:15pm On Jan 25, 2011
The Torries are "killing" the UK economy, the deviated from the original plan by the Labour govt, a plan which at least was yielding good results. Now if this continue and the massive job losses becomes the order of the day I honestly fear for the UK future!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 12:03am On Jan 28, 2011
I hope someone has learnt a thing or two from this thread.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Rare(m): 4:13am On Jan 28, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Guys,

@Ajanlekoko; this is a very valid argument. It is the ONLY reason why people are fretting over the proposed laws; else why would anyone care ?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 4:54pm On Feb 05, 2011
Exactly.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tunnytox(m): 8:02pm On Mar 23, 2011
For those who said the UK will never discontinue the post study route, please see the UKBA website for update. I don't want to paste any link here to avoid being banned but simply google the UKBA to read the latest proposal.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by reindeer: 9:00pm On Mar 23, 2011
Looks like they really mean business.
I posted a thread about the lastest plans yesterday.What may be wrong in all of this is the fact that it may even affect people who are currently in masters programs.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 9:34pm On Mar 23, 2011
reindeer:

Looks like they really mean business.
I posted a thread about the lastest plans yesterday.What may be wrong in all of this is the fact that it may even affect people who are currently in masters programs.

Pple who are here now doing Msc will not be affected, they can still apply when they graduate this Sept, it will only affect pple starting Msc this Sept.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by reindeer: 9:47pm On Mar 23, 2011
Thats okay then, just noticed that the effect is from April 2012.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 12:23pm On Mar 24, 2011
The main changes are as follows:

From April 2012, any institution wanting to sponsor students will need to be classed as a Highly Trusted sponsor, and will need to become accredited by a statutory education inspection body by the end of 2012. The current system does not require this, and has allowed too many poor-quality colleges to become sponsors.

Students coming to study at degree level will need to speak English at an 'upper intermediate' (B2) level, rather than the current 'lower intermediate' (B1) requirement.

UK Border Agency staff will be able to refuse entry to students who cannot speak English without an interpreter, and who therefore clearly do not meet the minimum standard.

Students at universities and publicly funded further education colleges will retain their current work rights, but all other students will have no right to work. We will place restrictions on work placements in courses outside universities.

Only postgraduate students at universities and government-sponsored students will be able to bring their dependants. At the moment, all students on longer courses can bring their dependants.

We will limit the overall time that can be spent on a student visa to 3 years at lower levels (as it is now) and 5 years at higher levels. At present, there is no time limit for study at or above degree level.

We will close the Tier 1 (Post-study work) route, which allows students 2 years to seek employment after their course ends. Only graduates who have an offer of a skilled job from a sponsoring employer under Tier 2 of the points-based system will be able to stay to work.

Needless to say, the changes are coming into effect. We will now watch and see if the number of Nigerians going to the UK will reduce. I still don't think that will happen.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Zuha(f): 12:34am On Dec 22, 2011
I really hope people will see the dangers of studying in the UK especially if the intention is to settle. If there is a huge drop in student enrolment from Africa, it might prompt the UK Govt to think again.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Busybody2(f): 1:59am On Dec 22, 2011
debosky:

The main changes are as follows:

Needless to say, the changes are coming into effect. We will now watch and see if the number of Nigerians going to the UK will reduce. I still don't think that will happen.

They are not changing nada, twas shot down at the consultation level that Theresa May was involved in with those Russell Group Universities Dean, VC's, etc in 2010, and they put their foot down that they would lose the income they get from foreign students, hence reason they keep postponing to first April 2011, and now April 2012. Although unlike the bullcrap that the OP posted about International students tuition fee propping up the Universities, they barely make up to 10% of these Unis income, hence reason Home students fees was hiked to 9000 pounds, so what is likely to happen is that International tuition fees would also jump up drastically.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Zuha(f): 3:31pm On Dec 22, 2011
Busy_body:

unlike the bullcrap that the OP posted about International students tuition fee propping up the Universities

Sup? how is it bull crap? I still find it amazing that people still attend fairs organised by UK schools trying to bring people to the UK. But the more amazing thing is that some people in this forum sound like they are not the average Nigerian by giving false hope to people.

There is good education in the UK. If that is all you are hoping to get, then it is a good idea to school there. If by chance you want to stay more than 1 second after your graduation and thereafter, to settle in the UK, then go through the whole of this thread and think carefully before you venture into the UK.

I would have loved all those that were saying that the scrapping of the post study PBS was just a proposal and that the government wont dear bring it to action. They have not commented in this thread since the law was passed to scrap it come April 2012. Nothing is going to make them change their mind. The average UK citizen is anti-immigrants and that is why the current government is enjoying some popularity despite very wicked measures aimed at making people poorer. The laws will not change unless the current govt leaves.

So guys and girls, don't be fooled!!!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2011
Busy_body:

They are not changing nada, twas shot down at the consultation level that Theresa May was involved in with those Russell Group Universities Dean, VC's, etc in 2010, and they put their foot down that they would lose the income they get from foreign students, hence reason they keep postponing to first April 2011, and now April 2012.

Are you saying the changes won't take place in 2012? As far as I've heard the Russel Groups Universities are in agreement with the changes - they feel their interests have been sufficiently protected when making the changes.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by joxiri: 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2011
please can someone paste the link about scrapping the psw next year
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2011
joxiri:

please can someone paste the link about scrapping the psw next year

Have a look at these two links

http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/post-study-work-visa-to-be-abolished.html

http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/3513
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 9:58am On Dec 23, 2011
Glad to know that this thread is still running. A few people who were having a heated argument with me earlier this year with regards to the possibility of stopping the PSW visa are noticeably absent probably because the law has now been passed and so all doubts are now settled.

For those asking for the source of information with regards to stopping the PSW, pls click this link and go to page 17

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/news/sop4.pdf

It will take you to the UKBA document on the Tier 1 post study. I know that some people might be deceived by the Tier 2 story on that page. If you are, kindly read the policy guidance for Tier 2 so that you will know how serious the government is. Also find out how many of your friends and relatives are in the UK on Tier 2.

The bottom line of my comment today is what I have been saying ever since. If your one and only intention of going to the UK is to study, then by all means do so as you will undoubtedly get a good education. If by chance you have an intention to settle as well, you have another think coming!!!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by joxiri: 4:56pm On Dec 24, 2011
the law hasnt actually been passed yet not until april 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Picking Random People On The Highway While Travelling / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.