Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: (27766 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 5:59pm On Dec 24, 2011
joxiri:

the law hasnt actually been passed yet not until april 2012

PSW will be closing by April 2012, only those who will be graduating before April 2012 will be able to apply.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Turk202001: 3:12am On Feb 02, 2012
The poster of this topic is absolutely correct. He forgot to add though that one of the reasons the UK govt want to only employ immigrants that can earn like 40k and above is also because they want to suck them dry through their new tax regime which does not favor people earning such amount. It means you will be taxed 40% of your salary, accommodation is crazy and transport meaning not much to save. Please take the advise if u have 9500 pounds to pay for school fees and 7200pounds a year for accommodation and living expenses, please spend it in another country that your future is relatively guaranteed if u want to stay. I just concluded my studies in the UK and I left immediately because I understand perfectly what the poster has said. Uk education currently only favors the people that want to study and leave the country. May God make 9ja a better country

1 Like

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 6:33pm On Jan 27, 2015
Turk202001:
The poster of this topic is absolutely correct. He forgot to add though that one of the reasons the UK govt want to only employ immigrants that can earn like 40k and above is also because they want to suck them dry through their new tax regime which does not favor people earning such amount. It means you will be taxed 40% of your salary, accommodation is crazy and transport meaning not much to save. Please take the advise if u have 9500 pounds to pay for school fees and 7200pounds a year for accommodation and living expenses, please spend it in another country that your future is relatively guaranteed if u want to stay. I just concluded my studies in the UK and I left immediately because I understand perfectly what the poster has said. Uk education currently only favors the people that want to study and leave the country. May God make 9ja a better country

Well said. I know this thread is old but I feel it wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell my real life story and help my fellow Nigerians. To begin with Canada is the best country to come to if you want to school, stay afterwards, and get a respectable job. I've met people who have ran away from the UK and America, coming to Canada because that's their best option of getting legal residency and staying. Back to my story. I went to naija for 2 months a few years back. My cousin wanted to come abroad, school then live. I told him Canada was the best option period. He said he doesn't care where he goes, he'll hustle and get legal papers that he's a "naija boy". I said ok oo, you better just come to Canada and especially don't go to the UK because it's a trap. One day he holla me and said he dey UK. I just laughed and said u fukked up, you'll see in due time. After he completed his masters, he had no job for almost a year. He landed a job selling fast food at football (soccer) games. After a few months of that he landed a good job at some financial firm. I told him congrats because I thought the UK's system was similar to Canada's. That's after school if you land a professional job you can apply for permanent residency (PR) after 2 years, get it, then citizenship in a few years after that. In 5 years you could be a full fledge Canadian citizen. He said that's not the case, because he has to constantly be re-applying for the work visa, and they have to make sure no UK or EU citizen is willing to do the job before they give him the visa. In short there's no path to citizenship for him and his work visa can not be renewed at anytime. He just doesn't know where his future lies in the country, with so many question marks. He's now looking at how he can come to Canada. lol

In Canada I have a friend who took the same program as my cousin but finished at the undergrad level. He got a work visa after school, got a job as a bank teller, filed for his PR and got it. He has now moved up with the bank but in a few years he'll be a Canadian citizen. Yet my cousin who took the same program and finished at the masters level is still there with an ordinary work visa with no path to citizenship. I have so many more stories I could tell here. Why people go to the UK is beyond me. Other than it being difficult to get citizenship, you have to deal with high taxes, small houses, small cars/roads and a high cost of living. No thanks.

2 Likes

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by bebe2(f): 9:29pm On Jan 27, 2015
maternal:

Well said. I know this thread is old but I feel it wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell my real life story and help my fellow Nigerians. To begin with Canada is the best country to come to if you want to school, stay afterwards, and get a respectable job. I've met people who have ran away from the UK and America, coming to Canada because that's their best option of getting legal residency and staying. Back to my story. I went to naija for 2 months a few years back. My cousin wanted to come abroad, school then live. I told him Canada was the best option period. He said he doesn't care where he goes, he'll hustle and get legal papers that he's a "naija boy". I said ok oo, you better just come to Canada and especially don't go to the UK because it's a trap. One day he holla me and said he dey UK. I just laughed and said u fukked up, you'll see in due time. After he completed his masters, he had no job for almost a year. He landed a job selling fast food at football (soccer) games. After a few months of that he landed a good job at some financial firm. I told him congrats because I thought the UK's system was similar to Canada's. That's after school if you land a professional job you can apply for permanent residency (PR) after 2 years, get it, then citizenship in a few years after that. In 5 years you could be a full fledge Canadian citizen. He said that's not the case, because he has to constantly be re-applying for the work visa, and they have to make sure no UK or EU citizen is willing to do the job before they give him the visa. In short there's no path to citizenship for him and his work visa can not be renewed at anytime. He just doesn't know where his future lies in the country, with so many question marks. He's now looking at how he can come to Canada. lol

In Canada I have a friend who took the same program as my cousin but finished at the undergrad level. He got a work visa after school, got a job as a bank teller, filed for his PR and got it. He has now moved up with the bank but in a few years he'll be a Canadian citizen. Yet my cousin who took the same program and finished at the masters level is still there with an ordinary work visa with no path to citizenship. I have so many more stories I could tell here. Why people go to the UK is beyond me. Other than it being difficult to get citizenship, you have to deal with high taxes, small houses, small cars/roads and a high cost of living. No thanks.

lol,

ur cousin shud ave listened to u.

student visa means exactly dat.

most students i know just go home after their studies or marry to secure their papers.

the uk is a funny place,

if u come wit all ur certificate and want stay, u will gladly be returned to ur country.

but if u come looking all crazy , no skills, no education, no future they will embrace you

and assign all sorts of social helps. before u know, them go give u red passport grin grin

my former baby sitter who is mechanical engineer was deported wit her kids to nigeria after her masters,

but one ishan girl wey dey pretend to get mental problem has just being given PR, given a 3bed house with her two kids and he has

never contributed anything to this country.

dats britain for you grin

2 Likes

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 10:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 10:06pm On Jan 27, 2015
bebe2:

lol,

most students i know just go home after their studies or marry to secure their papers.

the uk is a funny place,

if u come wit all ur certificate and want stay, u will gladly be returned to ur country.

but if u come looking all crazy , no skills, no education, no future they will embrace you

and assign all sorts of social helps. before u know, them go give u red passport grin grin

my former baby sitter who is mechanical engineer was deported wit her kids to nigeria after her masters,

but one ishan girl wey dey pretend to get mental problem has just being given PR, given a 3bed house with her two kids and he has

Was her master's obtained in a uk school ? If so that makes no sense. Why not work with graduates like canada does
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by bebe2(f): 11:28pm On Jan 27, 2015
maternal:

Was her master's obtained in a uk school ? If so that makes no sense. Why not work with graduates like canada does

yes, actually she came with her husband and 2 kids, i think both did master.

when the program finished, they started to put in all sorts of application to remain in UK, which was refused.

but they didnt leave, the woman started to babysit from house to house.

she went to baby sit over night, came home and found out that her husband and 2kids have been arrested and taken to a deportation camp.

she eventually left sha, after a few months.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 11:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
maternal:

Your cousin hasn't told you the truth yet. If he got a good job with the bank then all he needs is only one visa renewer to get ILR. I guess he was sacked by the bank or they refused to extend his contract.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2015
bebe2:

yes, actually she came with her husband and 2 kids, i think both did master.

when the program finished, they started to put in all sorts of application to remain in UK, which was refused.

but they didnt leave, the woman started to babysit from house to house.

she went to baby sit over night, came home and found out that her husband and 2kids have been arrested and taken to a deportation camp.

she eventually left sha, after a few months.

She hasn't done herself any good. Breaking the immigration rules and at the same time expected to be given a stay?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia100k: 12:00am On Jan 28, 2015
Zuha:
Hmm, what a thoughtful piece.

Very.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia100k: 12:01am On Jan 28, 2015
bebe2:

lol,

the uk is a funny place,

This does not mean people should start pretending to have mental problems, remember stick follows carrot.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 12:05am On Jan 28, 2015
justwise:

Your cousin hasn't told you the truth yet. If he got a good job with the bank then all he needs is only one visa renewer to get ILR. I guess he was sacked by the bank or they refused to extend his contract.

What's a ilr ?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 12:06am On Jan 28, 2015
maternal:

What's a ilr ?

Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by bebe2(f): 12:13am On Jan 28, 2015
justwise:

She hasn't done herself any good. Breaking the immigration rules and at the same time expected to be given a stay?

i know, and she was a ''BIG WOMAN'' in naija,

dont know wat possessed her.

she is back home with her family now.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by bebe2(f): 12:18am On Jan 28, 2015
tpia100k:

This does not mean people should start pretending to have mental problems, remember stick follows carrot.

pls explain where the stick is going to come frm.

in this uk where some pple have the govt wrapped around her little fingers.

she has been given british passport, given a house and fully supported by the govt.

her son started nursery well before 2yrs, to relieve her of ''stress'' but they refused to take my son till

he was 3, and only took him for 3hrs even though i worked nights.

i beg uk system funny.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 12:19am On Jan 28, 2015
justwise:

Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Then citizenship ?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 12:22am On Jan 28, 2015
maternal:

Then citizenship ?

After a year of holding ILR
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 12:24am On Jan 28, 2015
justwise:

After a year of holding ILR

I'll message and ask him about ILR
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 12:26am On Jan 28, 2015
maternal:

I'll message and ask him about ILR

Oh well....
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia100k: 1:23am On Jan 28, 2015
bebe2:

pls explain where the stick is going to come frm.

hehe, there is no stick then.

enjoy.

in this uk where some pple have the govt wrapped around her little fingers.

if you say so, but stop trying to fool people.

she has been given british passport, given a house and fully supported by the govt.

wonderful.

not like Nigeria at all.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 2:38am On Jan 28, 2015
maternal:

Things have started to change or changed in canada too. Canada is stylishly closing its borders just like Australia. CEC (canadian experience class) which most, if not all students usually use to apply for Permanent residence(PR) has been cancelled.

Any application for PR has to be through express entry and an applicant only stands a good chance of being selected if his/her employer is ready to go through the hassle(prevalent wage, job ad specs, paying lawyer, setting up the job ad, interviewing people etc) of applying for LMO/LMIA, similar to the Resident Labour Market Test in the UK i.e the employer can't find a Canadian/PR to do the job.

A student may be lucky to apply for express entry PR through PNP in some provinces after completion of studies in that province especially in western Canada (although highly competitive), but this still increases the chances of being selected.. But in a province like Ontario, I heard that a student getting PR via their PNP/express entry route is like a camel trying to enter through the eye of a needle.

''Misleading? — Lana Ferries 2014-09-29 17:28
What about the international students who already invested a lot of money settling in Canada to study here? They were promised that after finding a job (on their field) and having worked for 12 months on a full time position, they could then apply for PR right away. Had they known the rules could change any time during the process without considering the harm this would cause and the risk this represented, I'm sure they would have not invested their time and savings in Canada. This is so unfair. Wouldn't this be consider misleading?

# Internation Students would not have a way to stay in Canada — Lana Ferries 2014-10-01 21:06
I'm actually talking about the thousands of current and former international students who are in difficult positions now. They have contributed to the Canadian economy by paying high fees to attend Canadian educational institutions (which is almost double the fee), as well as purchasing both goods and services during their studies. Most came to Canada hoping to stay – because they were told that after graduating and working 12 months they could apply for permanent residence but for them staying might not be an option anymore. In other words international students with Canadian job experience do not have a way stay in Canada permanently.

# Is this true? — Sunil M. 2014-10-01 22:04
I'm an international student and just checked this on the CIC website and cannot believe what I'm seeing! I feel so cheated! I am paying triple for my education because I was lured under the promise that I could apply for PR afterwards. Now all I get is a "thank you for spending your money in Canada, go and wait forever to see if we want you". This is not even misleading lady, this is plain FRAUD!

# Cheated! — Salvatore Denison 2014-10-02 07:37
To say that many of us students feel cheated and taken advantage of does jot describe the anger we feel. Canada will lose much credibility over this. In business practice this is called "bait and switch", you promise one thing and then after the customer (students) pay, you change the rules of the game. I can see a class-lawsuit in the horizon. Students left their families, friends, jobs and homes to come to Canada, pay TRIPLE the local rate for a degree/diploma, with the promise that we could apply directly for a PR after 12 months of Canadian Experience. Now that we are here the govt is telling us that in exchange for our sacrafice we will get nothing but to wait in an endless cue with millions of others sitting at home abroad who have sacrificed nothing for Canada!!!! ''

http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/5288/Is-express-entry-the-solution-to-Canadas-immigration-issues.html?print=1&tmpl=component&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tipsheet

Then again, having lived in both countries. The UK is a much advanced country than Canada, maybe that is why some students prefer UK, not every one might be interested in Indefinite leave to remain (ILR). When I moved to Canada from the UK for work and residency reasons, it was like I traveled 5 years back in time due to the difference in Infrastructure and environment.

2 Likes

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 6:35am On Jan 28, 2015
saxywale:

Things have started to change or changed in canada too. Canada is stylishly closing its borders just like Australia. CEC (canadian experience class) which most, if not all students usually use to apply for Permanent residence(PR) has been cancelled.

Any application for PR has to be through express entry and an applicant only stands a good chance of being selected if his/her employer is ready to go through the hassle(prevalent wage, job ad specs, paying lawyer, setting up the job ad, interviewing people etc) of applying for LMO/LMIA, similar to the Resident Labour Market Test in the UK i.e the employer can't find a Canadian/PR to do the job.

A student may be lucky to apply for express entry PR through PNP in some provinces after completion of studies in that province especially in western Canada (although highly competitive), but this still increases the chances of being selected.. But in a province like Ontario, I heard that a student getting PR via their PNP/express entry route is like a camel trying to enter through the eye of a needle.

''Misleading? — Lana Ferries 2014-09-29 17:28
What about the international students who already invested a lot of money settling in Canada to study here? They were promised that after finding a job (on their field) and having worked for 12 months on a full time position, they could then apply for PR right away. Had they known the rules could change any time during the process without considering the harm this would cause and the risk this represented, I'm sure they would have not invested their time and savings in Canada. This is so unfair. Wouldn't this be consider misleading?

# Internation Students would not have a way to stay in Canada — Lana Ferries 2014-10-01 21:06
I'm actually talking about the thousands of current and former international students who are in difficult positions now. They have contributed to the Canadian economy by paying high fees to attend Canadian educational institutions (which is almost double the fee), as well as purchasing both goods and services during their studies. Most came to Canada hoping to stay – because they were told that after graduating and working 12 months they could apply for permanent residence but for them staying might not be an option anymore. In other words international students with Canadian job experience do not have a way stay in Canada permanently.

# Is this true? — Sunil M. 2014-10-01 22:04
I'm an international student and just checked this on the CIC website and cannot believe what I'm seeing! I feel so cheated! I am paying triple for my education because I was lured under the promise that I could apply for PR afterwards. Now all I get is a "thank you for spending your money in Canada, go and wait forever to see if we want you". This is not even misleading lady, this is plain FRAUD!

# Cheated! — Salvatore Denison 2014-10-02 07:37
To say that many of us students feel cheated and taken advantage of does jot describe the anger we feel. Canada will lose much credibility over this. In business practice this is called "bait and switch", you promise one thing and then after the customer (students) pay, you change the rules of the game. I can see a class-lawsuit in the horizon. Students left their families, friends, jobs and homes to come to Canada, pay TRIPLE the local rate for a degree/diploma, with the promise that we could apply directly for a PR after 12 months of Canadian Experience. Now that we are here the govt is telling us that in exchange for our sacrafice we will get nothing but to wait in an endless cue with millions of others sitting at home abroad who have sacrificed nothing for Canada!!!! ''

http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/5288/Is-express-entry-the-solution-to-Canadas-immigration-issues.html?print=1&tmpl=component&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tipsheet

Then again, having lived in both countries. The UK is a much advanced country than Canada, maybe that is why some students prefer UK, not every one might be interested in Indefinite leave to remain (ILR). When I moved to Canada from the UK for work and residency reasons, it was like I traveled 5 years back in time due to the difference in Infrastructure and environment.

This was just implemented by the cons gov't. People are still waiting to see how it'll turn out. And with federal elections around the corner, they can be possibly voted out. I feel in due time it'll go back to what it use to be. The new system has a lot of flaws. Also elaborate on what you mean by infrastructure and environment being behind. I'm confused.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 28, 2015
maternal:

This was just implemented by the cons gov't. People are still waiting to see how it'll turn out. And with federal elections around the corner, they can be possibly voted out. I feel in due time it'll go back to what it use to be. The new system has a lot of flaws. Also elaborate on what you mean by infrastructure and environment being behind. I'm confused.
No Canadians actually want potential immigrants shut out. So the next government might take tougher measures. I have seen this scenario played out in the UK. Canadians are now blaming potential immigrants for loss of jobs and low wages. Check CIC express entry page on Facebook to feel the pulse and thinking of average Canadian on the street.

Bu infrastructure and tech. I meant, postal system, banking, transportation , traffic e.t.c
Canada is like 5 years behind. have you wondered why eBay is not functioning in Canada and why you have to set reminders on phone to pay bills like credit card..
going to work now. back at 5pm.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Amosiye: 4:04pm On Jan 28, 2015
Meaning. That it will be better to go to North cyprus to school than UK. Just my opinion or what do u think
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 5:51pm On Jan 28, 2015
saxywale:

No Canadians actually want potential immigrants shut out. So the next government might take tougher measures. I have seen this scenario played out in the UK. Canadians are now blaming potential immigrants for loss of jobs and low wages. Check CIC express entry page on Facebook to feel the pulse and thinking of average Canadian on the street.

Bu infrastructure and tech. I meant, postal system, banking, transportation , traffic e.t.c
Canada is like 5 years behind. have you wondered why eBay is not functioning in Canada and why you have to set reminders on phone to pay bills like credit card..
going to work now. back at 5pm.

Rhetoric from ignorant Canadians compared to the government are two different things. When one gets frustrated they look for a scapegoat for their lack of success. In reality immigrants are needed to keep Canada going and even if whites who don't admit it, they know it deep down. Look at any major cities in Canada, can you honestly say without immigrants they'd be striving? If Canada really wanted potential immigrants shut out they would have shut down the caregiver program by now. I mean coming here as a "caregiver", then getting your PR in 2 years, then citizenship after that. A PR can now file for their husband/kids and so on. Nowadays all you have to do is speak French and show allegiance to the French language and Quebec will take you in lol. Honestly which other developed nation has such a liberal immigration policy. Didn't you leave the UK to take advantage of that ?

As for infrastructure I can't speak about it. Haven't had enough experience in Europe to compare.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 1:05am On Jan 29, 2015
justwise:

Oh well....

You need to have renewed your work visa for 5 years and your post study visa doesn't count he says. He already tried.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 2:05am On Jan 29, 2015
maternal:

Rhetoric from ignorant Canadians compared to the government are two different things. When one gets frustrated they look for a scapegoat for their lack of success. In reality immigrants are needed to keep Canada going and even if whites who don't admit it, they know it deep down. Look at any major cities in Canada, can you honestly say without immigrants they'd be striving? If Canada really wanted potential immigrants shut out they would have shut down the caregiver program by now. I mean coming here as a "caregiver", then getting your PR in 2 years, then citizenship after that. A PR can now file for their husband/kids and so on. Nowadays all you have to do is speak French and show allegiance to the French language and Quebec will take you in lol. Honestly which other developed nation has such a liberal immigration policy. Didn't you leave the UK to take advantage of that ?

As for infrastructure I can't speak about it. Haven't had enough experience in Europe to compare.
Exactly!
Same scenario played out in most countries that opened their doors to immigrants in recent times, that is another reason why Canada is some years late in almost everything, all these friendly immigration programs(most closed now anyway) were copied from Europe, GREAT britain to be precise. From the days of HSMP, IGS, PSW e.t.c ...... The government is actually listening to these ignorant Canadians cos they have the power to vote them out hence they are tightening the rules e.g express entry
I know Canada needs immigrants especially the tim hortons, Mcdonalds and walmarts! I can't imagine how those places would function without them.
Care-in-giver has been changed too. They now need LMIA/LMO too. What that means is employers would have to consider Canadians and PR first before outsiders unlike before.

A lot of British resident I have met here left the UK to take advantage of better wages in Alberta cos of the oil sands, the wages in other provinces are low and of course ease of entry.

And Quebec would definitely not take in people cos they can speak French, if that was the case. Francophone countries in Africa would be empty by now. lol
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 2:50am On Jan 29, 2015
justwise:

I have 4 friends that went through this route. Not sure if it's tier 2. They all have ILR now. I believe it's a lot easier for engineering graduates as they are all engineers.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by maternal: 4:46am On Jan 29, 2015
saxywale:

Exactly!
Same scenario played out in most countries that opened their doors to immigrants in recent times, that is another reason why Canada is some years late in almost everything, all these friendly immigration programs(most closed now anyway) were copied from Europe, GREAT britain to be precise. From the days of HSMP, IGS, PSW e.t.c ...... The government is actually listening to these ignorant Canadians cos they have the power to vote them out hence they are tightening the rules e.g express entry
I know Canada needs immigrants especially the tim hortons, Mcdonalds and walmarts! I can't imagine how those places would function without them.
Care-in-giver has been changed too. They now need LMIA/LMO too. What that means is employers would have to consider Canadians and PR first before outsiders unlike before.

A lot of British resident I have met here left the UK to take advantage of better wages in Alberta cos of the oil sands, the wages in other provinces are low and of course ease of entry.

And Quebec would definitely not take in people cos they can speak French, if that was the case. Francophone countries in Africa would be empty by now. lol

Good debate. I kind of like politics and I feel people here looking to come to Canada will learn some things about Canada by this discussion.

Every country modifies their immigration policies according to their needs. Because Canada did not do it 5 years ago and are doing it now doesn't necessarily mean their "5 years behind". It could just mean it wasn't needed at the time. I mean if Canada is constantly 5 years behind, the bank of England wouldn't have a Canadian running it (j/k). But in all seriousness, I'm glad the UK did it before. Because with the amount of illegal immigrants running around there, Canada could lean from some of the mistakes they made.

The Conservative gov't lead by Harper will do anything they need to get votes. Just as in the past election Harper's gov't had a plan to reduce green gas emission. With the oil sands boom he has not done a thing. My point is the gov't will do whatever to generate capital. Some of the new immigration laws are flawed and will be returned to it's original state in due time. Watch express entry will be done with I'm telling you. And yes Canada actually needs immigrants to work at the Tim Horton's, McDonalds, etc. They're vital to the country's economy. Now if you're dumb enough to stay stagnant and remain there years later after migrating to Canada then it' your fault. Canada offers immigrants opportunities. Nothing more, nothing less. Start working at minimal jobs, go to school and make something of yourself. I did ! Besides I'd rather work these minimal jobs and live in Canada than some 3rd world country.

It doesn't matter that they changed the caregiver program. No PR or Canadians are willing to do it period. I mean after I was offering workers minimum wage, and saying they must be fluent in Igbo, and able to cook egusi soup, nobody came calling. Therefore I had to import someone from naija (cousin) who I on the verge of getting his visa to come over. Get my drift. But back to the matter. Everything is about supply and demand. And as of right now Canada needs immigrants in comparison to other developed nations. All I'm saying is that I'd take my chances here over other countries as of right now before it becomes overpopulated like GB. As of Quebec that's what I heard. But I don't care about that province really.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 8:04am On Jan 29, 2015
maternal:

You need to have renewed your work visa for 5 years and your post study visa doesn't count he says. He already tried.

Then you cousin never had proper work permit, post-study work visa (PSW) is just 2years work visa given to every foreign student after graduation(though cancelled now) and its non-renewable.

Proper work visa gives you 5years route to ILR, first you will be given 3yrs when you renew that it will add up to the 5yrs needed for ILR.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 8:06am On Jan 29, 2015
saxywale:

I have 4 friends that went through this route. Not sure if it's tier 2. They all have ILR now. I believe it's a lot easier for engineering graduates as they are all engineers.

That is true, its tier 2 though difficult to get now because of change in immigration policies...market test thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications / Picking Random People On The Highway While Travelling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.