Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses (117596 Views)

Rosy Meurer Rocks Cleavage-Baring Outfit To AY's 48th Birthday Dinner / Alex Unusual Slays In Cleavage-Baring Outfit To AY Live / Hushpuppi Responds To AY Gucci Bag Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by davillian(m): 11:46am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
Why do most Nigerians feel they need to change their accent when they speak with a foreigner? Nigerian accent is rated as one of the sexiest in the world. People should learn to embrace it.
I swear bro you no lie
When ever I talk to my white friends they seem to love the way I talk....
I de even add pigeon English join....
Now when they call they say " how far wethin de sup"

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Studyinchina200(m): 11:48am On Mar 27, 2020
Because they can’t hear you clearly if you use Nigerian accent.

Or11:
Why do most Nigerians feel they need to change their accent when they speak with a foreigner? Nigerian accent is rated as one of the sexiest in the world. People should learn to embrace it.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by davillian(m): 11:48am On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

Sometimes it's to save you the stress of having to repeat yourself. When you speak with the Nigerian accent to a foreigner, some of them don't get some words.

What I don't fancy is speaking to a Nigerian with a foreign accent. Once I know you be naija , my brain auto switches, it's involuntary.
Even we too don't get their words too na
At lest both of us would be saying repeat yourself I didn't get that....
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Incandescent(m): 11:54am On Mar 27, 2020
I remember working with nationals of Germany, Netherlands & India. I was the only Nigerian and I noticed how they'd strain their ears to hear me properly so I had a conversation with them asking if they found it difficult to understand my accent, they immediately said Yes. I told them it was same from my end grin, that their accents sounds ridiculous to me also so we need to work together to understand each other.

That was the end of the funny faces grin

5 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Incandescent(m): 11:55am On Mar 27, 2020
Studyinchina200:
Because they can’t hear you clearly if you use Nigerian accent.

We also can't hear them.

Be proud of your identity and roots

2 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Sheuns(m): 11:55am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

Funny enough, a chinese partner told me something similar when I sent her a voice note over wechat.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Bar1941(m): 11:59am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
When you live permanently for 2yrs and above oversea you will understand the reason better... I used to think thesame way before but when I found myself in their situation I realised the reason. You live in a system where almost everyone use a particular accent when speaking, you will somehow look like an allien if you speak too differently. I used to have problems with people due to this for quite some time, I keep asking them to repeat what they said and they telling me thesame. Infact I asked one of my colleague who is also a Nigerian one day who told me he was having thesame problem. MY POINT IS IT'S NOT A MATTER OF PRIDE BUT IT IS ABOUT CHANGE IN ENVIRONMENT. Though I quite agree some people overdo.

3 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 12:00pm On Mar 27, 2020
AndroBlaze:

It always struck me when I was younger and people will say Nigerian accent, as to me we all speak so distinctively.... anyway when we throw our phonetics or speak pidgin, I think thats the closest we get to Nigerians sounding similar or uniform.
I don't agree with you. It is true there is a Yoruba, igbo and hausa English accent but majority of Nigerians don't speak with it. So yeas, there is indeed such a thing as a Nigerian accent.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by MrMurdah: 12:02pm On Mar 27, 2020
AY with all your money....accent still dey change when you dey follow foreigner talk...na wah for you o!
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Truthbites: 12:03pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

Sometimes, it's so the other person can understand u. When I go to UK, na British accent fast o. Guess what, if u don't learn that accent fast, u nor go quick get work for UK

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by MrMurdah: 12:04pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

Some people still cannot tell the difference between a fake accent and being fluent.

Many kenyans are perfect examples of lingual fluency.

It is possible to be understood irrespective of creed and culture.

3 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by skyhighweb(m): 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
because alot of foreigners dont understand until we slow down just like a Russia soeaking to u in English he will have to slow down and twist his English for u to understand
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by blacq2009(m): 12:06pm On Mar 27, 2020
Op, which one is convert 19? How different are you from he calls it convikk nineteen?
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by ogmask: 12:06pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

Foreigners find it difficult to communicate when we speak in our accent. If you have travelled wide you will relate with this. For easy communication speak for them to understand. Not a big deal for me.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by micflo28(m): 12:07pm On Mar 27, 2020
Nigerian celebrities and show off. Most of those cloths he doesn't need it. In 5years time, I want to hear new successful names in the comedy industry asides AY and Co. If not so, then they are not truly successful. They need to light the candles of others too.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Kennydoc(m): 12:12pm On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

Sometimes it's to save you the stress of having to repeat yourself. When you speak with the Nigerian accent to a foreigner, some of them don't get some words.

What I don't fancy is speaking to a Nigerian with a foreign accent. Once I know you be naija , my brain auto switches, it's involuntary.

Correct!
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Baroba(m): 12:14pm On Mar 27, 2020
His accent was clear, he spoke softly so Idris could understand him, he wasn't forming anything..
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Tywo2018: 12:15pm On Mar 27, 2020
Thought they said he has COVID-19
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by efighter: 12:19pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

Inferiority complex
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Femiadeoye543: 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2020
see below
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Diamondpicture(m): 12:27pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
simply because if you continue with your sexy nigeria accent no one understands you they be like what you saying
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by makewetalk2: 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2020
who ranked it?

day there with your accent

hunger never catch you
Or11:
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by kamikaz1: 12:36pm On Mar 27, 2020
rattlesnake:
decieving themselves

No mind dem..Idris just dey wind am like Clinton will say Africa is the leader of the world grin

2 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 27, 2020
AdmiralDru:

I was in a conference video meeting with about 20+ other people on zoom and we were gonna introduce ourselves. Immediately I started speaking (with my normal Nigerian accent), the host (a Swiss lady) started laughing all through the 30 secs I spoke about myself. I guess it's cause of my accent.
all nigerian accents dont sound the same grin.urs might be the very strong type grin
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Brightgem(f): 12:38pm On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

I think the foreigners understand you if you pronounce your words well with your normal accent. That's my experience tho, and that's countless times even over the phone with them.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by seangy4konji: 12:39pm On Mar 27, 2020
Their cup of tea..who dem help.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Brightgem(f): 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2020
EVILFOREST:

PEOPLE who do such feel insecure and less of a human.
I speak my Native Dialect everywhere. I speak it to my relatives and spouse.
In fact, I once taught IGBO Language in Downtown, Los Angeles.

One Day, I visited Nigeria with my spouse, and my DAD asked me, how my accent & and that of my spouse had remained the same despite all these years, that he taught the moment people relocated, they dropped many things including the way they spoke.
I laughed and said, it's better I learn and hear what they are saying than 4 dem to understand everything I say with my people.

MEXICANS, in the US never teach their kids English.
They soak their kids in SPANISH. In fact, they play Spanish songs while driving. They do so because, they know their kids will eventually learn the English at school.
Gbam! But this your moniker! cheesy
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by paix(m): 12:41pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
After Ghana, abi?
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nobody: 12:45pm On Mar 27, 2020
Geofavor:

Hahaha.. Your accent must be really terrible..
exactly his accent must be very terrible for the lady to bust out laughing grin..maybe even mentioning words wrongly grin
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Incandescent(m): 12:45pm On Mar 27, 2020
paix:
After Ghana, abi?

Which mumu Ghana grin
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by idahme(m): 12:46pm On Mar 27, 2020
I love this dude, u epitomize what I stand for.
.keep it up

[ author=EVILFOREST post=87804942]
PEOPLE who do such feel insecure and less of a human.
I speak my Native Dialect everywhere. I speak it to my relatives and spouse.
In fact, I once taught IGBO Language in Downtown, Los Angeles.

One Day, I visited Nigeria with my spouse, and my DAD asked me, how my accent & and that of my spouse had remained the same despite all these years, that he taught the moment people relocated, they dropped many things including the way they spoke.
I laughed and said, it's better I learn and hear what they are saying than 4 dem to understand everything I say with my people.

MEXICANS, in the US never teach their kids English.
They soak their kids in SPANISH. In fact, they play Spanish songs while driving. They do so because, they know their kids will eventually learn the English at school.
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 27, 2020
ZULIK:
have you had the assent of a Calabar man
abeg no go dere grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olamide Removes Dreadlocks, Dances To Show Off His Bald Head / VIDEO Young Secondary School Girl Having Sex In Class With Two Guys In Class / Gozie Okeke Gospel Singer(aka Nshawa) Pregnants One Of The Gals N Destiny Kids!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.