Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Job For Msc Or Phd Holders - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job For Msc Or Phd Holders (1184 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Jobs For Msc Or Phd Holders In Economics And Or Finance / Apply for 2018 MSc and PhD Commonwealth Scholarship In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Justmemyself1(m): 7:40am On Mar 27, 2020
Senior Research Assistant/Associate Research Fellow at BT Research

We are hiring! http://baumtenpers.com/

About our Company

BT Research is a rigorous academic research group that assembles some of Africa’s promising young researchers in the fields of economics, finance and mathematics/statistics research. These researchers make up our team of senior research fellows. Our goal is to use our influence to enhance the research exposure of talented young and hardworking Africans who are determined to succeed in the right way, no matter what, and provide them with opportunities to achieve that success. Through our research group, we have sent, and continue to send, bright African students to leading graduate schools in Europe, North America, Asia and Africa. We train these students on the techniques required to win full scholarships and we provide them with overwhelming support that increases their chances of success. For the right students, we provide this service free of charge.

About the Job

A job opportunity has arisen for a brilliant and energetic African skilled in academic economics and finance research to join our team as Senior Research Assistant/Associate Research Fellow and work from home to provide high level support for our research agenda.
The chosen person will have verifiable research experience and will be well achieved and exposed enough to not only support our senior research fellows based in Nigeria and around the world, but to also mentor junior members of our team and some selected African students to help them in preparing winning applications for PhD admissions and scholarships at institutions around the world.

The job is tough, mentally-tasking and time-demanding. It will require a lot of commitment. Success will be determined by 2 factors: 1) the ability to do very high-level work, at least consistent with the exposure, training and level of education, and 2) the ability to effortlessly meet deadlines

Academic Qualifications Required

1. Strong knowledge of Macroeconomics, Finance and Econometrics. Finance can be substituted with fields such as Development or Applied Microeconomics

2. MSc in Economics/Finance/Econometrics/Quantitative Economics

3. A PhD - either completed or ongoing - is a plus. Research area must be in Macroeconomics, Finance or Econometrics (Development or Applied Micro can substitute for Finance). Only PhD holders, or those with at least 4 papers in journals ranked 2* or better, will be considered for the position of Associate Research Fellow. Others will vie for the position of Senior Research Assistant

4. Evidence of Decent Research Achievement: At least 5 papers published in any Nigerian or International Peer Reviewed Journals or at least 3 papers published in an International Journal ranked 2* or better. See https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~tmattson/AJG%202018%20Journal%20Guide.pdf for more information on “stared ranking”. Journal publications must be in Economics, Finance or Econometrics only. Except in very exceptional case, we do not accept MSc project as evidence of research achievement for this role.

Skills and Experience Required

- Generally addicted to research, succeeds on tough tasks under tight deadlines and academically strong

- Exceptional, top writing skills
- Strong knowledge and experience in Time Series, Cross-Section and Panel Econometrics
- Time Series: Besides standard regression, we expect some mastery of VAR/SVAR/VECM/ARDL/DOLS/FMOLS/CCR and many others
Panel Data – FE/RE/GMM/Diff-in-diff/RCT

- Decent knowledge of using STATA/EVIEWS/R/MATLAB etc for econometric analysis. At least one of these.
- MS Office Tools – Word, Power Point, Excel, etc. LaTeX and similar software are also welcome
- A strong mathematical ability to derive new theoretical models in economics - and a good empirical ability to test these models - will be a clear advantage

What is Expected of You

- Meet all deadlines and deliver high quality work

- Humility to learn, teach, exchange ideas and relate well with people virtually, via email

- Be available to respond very quickly to emails during all working hours

- Have a computer, internet service and electricity, via NEPA or generator, to work from home. This is 100% homebased work, with some opportunity to travel for research activities when the need arises

Compensation (Net Salary/Take Home)

- Senior Research Assistant: 90K – 125K Naira, depending on research experience and, most importantly, publication record

- Associate Research Fellow: 130K – 200K

Confirmation Bonus (Payable after 6 months of probation and satisfactory performance)

- Senior Research Assistant: 60K

- Associate Research Fellow: 100K

Method of Application

Send CV, cover letter and best published research paper to baumtenpers@gmail.com and to info@baumtenpers.com

This is position requires immediate hiring of the appropriate person. The minimum qualification is an MSc plus research experience in Economics and/or Finance as documented above. A PhD is a plus. We are only interested in applicants who work hard, are bright and can do rigorous research.

Deadline

April 15, 2020

1 Like

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by fernandoc(m): 7:46am On Mar 27, 2020
After all these requirements and qualifications look at the peanut salary you are paying.
People are really suffering shaa.

3 Likes

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by iamclime(m): 7:53am On Mar 27, 2020
A nice JD here.
However, with all the requirements stated in the JD and the fact that the candidate will have to spend on electricity and data, and still achieve the expected level of output, you may need to review the remuneration upwards. Just my opinion.
If you have need for RAs in other Management/Social Sciencies, especially Marketing/HRM/Business Administration, please let me know. I have cognate experience working with some PhD researchers and can use some research tools fairly well. I have co-authored a paper which I presented at an academic conference and currently working on other papers for journal publication. Research is my forte and I am seeking a challenging and rewarding project to work on. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Justmemyself1(m): 8:00am On Mar 27, 2020
fernandoc:
After all these requirements and qualifications look at the peanut salary you are paying.
People are really suffering shaa.

Normally you deserve no feedback, but let me engage you.

Are you blind to see that this is not a revenue-generating company, as of yet, but a company that focuses on developing bright young Africans? Is all your thinking just about salary, salary, money money, without any intelligence to at least think straight before making puerile comments?

Sometimes, it's good to just shut up rather than open mouth and make claims that cannot be substantiated. The 500K you were expecting to see, where will it come from? From your account? Or from your village?

Some of you just talk or write without any tact. That's why many of you're where you are. You don't see beyond your face.
Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Justmemyself1(m): 8:06am On Mar 27, 2020
iamclime:
A nice JD here.
However, with all the requirements stated in the JD and the fact that the candidate will have to spend on electricity and data, and still achieve the expected level of output, you may need to review the remuneration upwards. Just my opinion.
If you have need for RAs in other Management/Social Sciencies, especially Marketing/HRM/Business Administration, please let me know. I have cognate experience working with some PhD researchers and can use some research tools fairly well. I have co-authored a paper which I presented at an academic conference and currently working on other papers for journal publication. Research is my forte and I am seeking a challenging and rewarding project to work on. Thanks.

Thanks for the comments and compliments.

We would have engaged you, but we don't have space for research people outside of econ/finance/econometrics.

If we review the remuneration up, to 500K as some of you would like to see, who would fund it? Do you know how much our fellows already spent, and routinely spend, out of pocket to support top African students?

One thing I would advice you young people is to see beyond some freaking salary. It means nothing. Long term matters more.

As a business person, you would understand that the present value of these opportunities dominates whatever 500K jobs some of you are thinking about. From the job, the chosen people make contacts that can set them up for life.

Think boys. I am out!

1 Like

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 27, 2020
It sounds like you are doing us a favour and expect d applicants to thank you & accept whatever you say. Try to be a bit nicer dude, it won't hurt, cause their are people who will even volunteer for free
Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by iamclime(m): 9:54am On Mar 27, 2020
SpecialAgent:
It sounds like you are doing us a favour and expect d applicants to thank you & accept whatever you say. Try to be a bit nicer dude, it won't hurt, cause their are people who will even volunteer for free
You just spoke my mind. Not everyone here are "boys" or "youth" in the words of the Op. Be nice, no matter your status, when you're on a faceless forum. Enough said.

1 Like

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by fernandoc(m): 10:19am On Mar 27, 2020
Justmemyself1:

Normally you deserve no feedback, but let me engage you.

Are you blind to see that this is not a revenue-generating company, as of yet, but a company that focuses on developing bright young Africans? Is all your thinking just about salary, salary, money money, without any intelligence to at least think straight before making puerile comments?

Sometimes, it's good to just shut up rather than open mouth and make claims that cannot be substantiated. The 500K you were expecting to see, where will it come from? From your account? Or from your village?

Some of you just talk or write without any tact. That's why many of you're where you are. You don't see beyond your face.
Where are you Mr Tact? Carry your peanut salary and get out!
Anybody working with this will be doing it as a last resort to ease the pains of unemployment. Broke and still mannerless I wonder who will work with a person like you.

You think doing research is a child’s play that you will be paying a Phd holder this rubbish you call salary.

1 Like

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Justmemyself1(m): 12:47am On Mar 28, 2020
SpecialAgent:

No, you don't have to apply if you don't meet the requirements, or if you meet the requirements but feel the remuneration is beneath you. It's a free market. And no, we don't need volunteers. For the right people, we hire them, pay them a decent salary, and guide them to to zenith of their academic endeavours. But again, we only hire certain kinds of students/people, and I understand that not everyone will be on that level.
Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Justmemyself1(m): 1:06am On Mar 28, 2020
fernandoc:

Where are you Mr Tact? Carry your peanut salary and get out!
Anybody working with this will be doing it as a last resort to ease the pains of unemployment. Broke and still mannerless I wonder who will work with a person like you.

You think doing research is a child’s play that you will be paying a Phd holder this rubbish you call salary.

I told you, I will oblige you. You thought I was joking, innit?

Now, about the people that work for us, our RAs, well, I don't want to damage your esteem, even though you're getting quite silly, so I'll just go easy on you and not say what you deserve to be told.

Also, you're living in a wonderland. That university or polytechnic you attended, go ask those below the cadre of senior lecturers how much they earn. Then you will understand that those salaries listed up there are indeed decent for a work-from-home job.

It is fine if you don't meet any of those requirements, not anyone would be on that level, but it's not fine when you uncouthly try to rationalize what you know little about.
Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by fernandoc(m): 3:29am On Mar 28, 2020
Justmemyself1:

I told you, I will oblige you. You thought I was joking, innit?

Now, about the people that work for us, our RAs, well, I don't want to damage your esteem, even though you're getting quite silly, so I'll just go easy on you and not say what you deserve to be told.

Also, you're living in a wonderland. That university or polytechnic you attended, go ask those below the cadre of senior lecturers how much they earn. Then you will understand that those salaries listed up there are indeed decent for a work-from-home job.

It is fine if you don't meet any of those requirements, not anyone would be on that level, but it's not fine when you uncouthly try to rationalize what you know little about.
Damage whose self esteem? You’re highly delusional. It’s obvious you’re the one who has self esteem issues here. You don’t even sound smart.
Why do you keep replying? You want to convince your silly ego that you’ve finished me.
I’m not interested in your silly dicck contest I’ve spoken my mind to you take it or leave it.
You’re irritatingly beginning to sound like a class A m0ron.
Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 28, 2020
Justmemyself1:

No, you don't have to apply if you don't meet the requirements, or if you meet the requirements but feel the remuneration is beneath you. It's a free market. And no, we don't need volunteers. For the right people, we hire them, pay them a decent salary, and guide them to to zenith of their academic endeavours. But again, we only hire certain kinds of students/people, and I understand that not everyone will be on that level.

Well, Mr zenith guider, I wish you luck in finding arrogant & condescending like minds to work with.
Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Admitwithschola: 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2020
This thread is filled with hate and bad blood, not sure why.

The above advert was made via our HR handle. I am a non-salaried member of this group (actually one of the fellows referred to in the text; all fellows are non-salaried, wonderful volunteers).

We have been supporting/mentoring some of the high-achieving students in Nigeria and indeed Africa, several ones are here on Nairaland. A look at my education-related posts from nearly 10 years ago will set all records straight.

Apart from the free advisory service from highly passionate fellows who volunteer their time, experience and talents to supporting Africans, we have actually mentored more than 5 Nairalanders to the level of obtaining full scholarships that literally changed their entire lives. We also provide scholarships for primary, secondary and undergraduate students who are indigent and academically brilliant but have no parents (or no father). We even sometimes pay for GRE/IELTS/TOEFL plus US university application fees. The funds to make all these possible come from donations, particularly from some of our fellows who have full time jobs at world class financial services institutions around the world. These are also the people that contribute to the salaries of our full time, salaried staff. Unfortunately, they're not billionaires (yet), so even if they would have loved to, they just can't afford to pay '1 million per month' to some of the nairaland 'geniuses' on here. Lol.

Again, reading all comments here, I am actually not sure why this thread is filled with so much hate and bad blood. This is discouraging! Very much so. But it won't stop the great job of mentoring deserving African students, which this group has chosen to embark upon for some time now, without expecting nada in return.

That said, for those meeting the requirements (easy to meet if academics is your thing), keep the applications coming. I have seen some applications and they look good. I will be one of your interviewers if you get an interview, so read all my posts from almost a decade ago, so you can have something to ask me.

My other suggestion: For those promising students not meeting the publication requirements, still reach out to the HR via those email addresses. If you have solid undergraduate achievements - and one of our fellows shows an interest in you - then you really could get the full support you need to reach the 'zenith' of your dreams. smiley

Keep safe all

1 Like

Re: Job For Msc Or Phd Holders by Evicsholar(f): 12:26pm On Apr 18, 2020
Justmemyself1:
Senior Research Assistant/Associate Research Fellow at BT Research

We are hiring! http://baumtenpers.com/

Deadline

April 15, 2020

Please I'm just seeing this. Can one still apply?

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Has Idea About The Sterling Bank Thing? / Fake Vacancies . . . / Vacancies: This Might Interest You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.