Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

What To Wear In Dubai - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What To Wear In Dubai (857 Views)

This Is How To Wear Seat Belt When Pregnant / 10 Nights in Dubai / Nigerian Man Meets 'Tallest' & 'Shortest' Men In Dubai (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Wear In Dubai by heenak: 8:55am On Mar 27, 2020
Dubai is a fascinating destination that offers lot of interesting things to see and do. However, one important question that most tourists ask is, what to wear in Dubai? Although Dubai is a Muslim country that follows the Sharia law, it does not impose a specific dress code on its residents or tourists. Still, there are some unspoken rules that everyone should follow when it comes to dressing up in Dubai. The way you dress up totally depends on the place you are visiting in Dubai. The old part of the city is a bit conservative, while casual clothing is accepted in the new city. Here, we will give you detailed information on what to wear in Dubai.

What to Wear: Shopping Malls, Sightseeing Tours and Public Places
While going on sightseeing tours, shopping at malls and travelling in public transportation, it would be best to wear clothes that are modest and at the same time comfortable. Both men and women should avoid wearing clothes that are too tight or are transparent. Women can wear dresses or tops with cut-sleeves, shorts, jeans, long dresses, pants, skirts, etc. Swimwear should be strictly avoided at public places.

What to Wear: Old Dubai
Old Dubai is home to several museums, historical buildings and even mosques. Hence, it would be better to avoid wearing clothes that show too much skin. Women must avoid wearing shorts, tops or dresses with cut-sleeves, mini-skirts, etc. In short, it is better to avoid clothes that show off your legs, shoulders and cleavage. They can wear knee-length or full-length dresses with full sleeves or short sleeves, jeans, t-shirts, shirts, short-sleeved tops, etc. Men can wear almost anything, except t-shirts and pants that are too tight or those that are transparent. Women may have to wear an abaya while visiting mosques.

What to Wear: Beaches and Pool Areas
It is acceptable to wear swimwear in beaches and pool areas of the city. When it comes to women, everything from bikinis to burkinis is acceptable. However, it is best to stick to one-piece swimsuits, wet suits and burkinis at public beaches. On the other hand, you can wear any type of swimsuit at a private beach or pool area of a hotel. But still it is best to avoid g-strings and thongs. When it comes to men, any type of swimwear is acceptable, except white shorts. Ensure that your swimwear does not become transparent after getting wet. An important thing to remember is that swimwear should be restricted to the beach or pool area only. Make sure to cover yourself up well while travelling to and from the pool or beach.

What to Wear: Restaurants
The Dubai dressing code for restaurants would totally depend on the type of place you choose to visit. For instance, most independent restaurants have casual dress code, i.e. you can wear what you wear while visiting tourist places or shopping malls here. On the other hand, restaurants in a hotel usually have a formal or smart-casual dress code, where you would have to dress-up. Men would have to wear button-down shirts, trousers and closed-shoes, while women would have to wear a cocktail dress, pantsuit, dress shirts, skirts, etc. However, the dress code for brunch in Dubai is usually casual wear. Always check with the restaurant you are planning to visit to know whether they have a strict dress code for guests.

What to Wear: Pubs and Bars
Pubs and bars in Dubai do not have a particular dress code. The atmosphere is more casual and both men and women can wear casual clothing in these places. In places like Barasati, which is a bar on a beach, people also wear swimwear during the day. Still, you must refrain from wearing swimwear in most of the pubs and bars. While men can wear jeans, pants, shirts, t-shirts, etc. at these places, women can wear dresses, jeans, t-shirts, tops with cut-sleeves, etc.

What to Wear: Nightclubs
The nightclubs in Dubai expect people to glam up and dress in the best possible way. You are expected to wear anything from formal to glam. In fact, the bouncers at the entrance of certain nightclubs provide entry by checking how people are dressed. Men have to wear dressy-shirts, pants and dress-shoes, while women are expected to wear evening gowns or cocktail dresses with high-heels. However, there is no restriction when it comes to skin-show. Clothes that show-off the thighs or cleavage are not restricted. Still, you should cover yourself properly while travelling back and forth the nightclubs.

What to Wear: Desert Safari
The Dubai desert safari usually starts at late afternoon and goes on till late at night. The temperatures at the desert can be quite high during the afternoon, while it is dips at night. So, you should wear clothes accordingly. It is best to wear loose cotton clothes at the desert. Loose pants, sleeveless or short-sleeves t-shirts, knee-length shorts, etc. would be comfortable clothing at the desert. Wearing flip-flops or open shoes is a good idea, as it is easy to clean if sand goes in. However, the climate can become chillier in the evening, especially after sunset. Hence, it is better to carry a jacket or shawl to cover yourself up. Avoid wearing shorts or skirts that are too short or tops with a plunging neckline while going on a desert safari.

Conclusion
Although not adhering to the rules of dressing up in Dubai may not lead you to jail, it would definitely get you some stares from the locals and residents. Hence, it is always best to dress modestly. Remember that you are visiting a different city, and it is your responsibility as a guest to respect the culture and beliefs of the people. Another important thing to remember is that Dubai is quite modern in comparison to the other Emirate cities. So, if you are travelling to another Emirate from Dubai, check out the dress code of the place before you start your travel. This would help you to stay away from trouble or from offending the feelings of the locals.
Re: What To Wear In Dubai by Adtour(f): 12:52am On May 07, 2021
One of the best Dubai travel related post. Indeed Desert Safari is one of the best activity for travelers, i have enjoyed desert safari 2 years back and i can say wow. Apart from Dubai touring we took Abu Dhabi city tour and found the capital city amazing.
Re: What To Wear In Dubai by wintheiser: 6:09am On May 07, 2021
At the beach bikinis are of course the norm. Getting to the beach shorts and sleeveless tops are what I normally see girls wear. I regularly see woman in teeny tiny shorts in malls. Really unless you are wearing a bikini in a mall/on the street you'll be fine.

PrepaidGiftBalance
Re: What To Wear In Dubai by Hintona(f): 8:16am On May 07, 2021
All those girls I see on Instagram that take pictures in Dubai with very little clothing na? Abi it's not Dubai?

(1) (Reply)

Has Anyone Traveled To US And Back Lately? / I Want To Relocate Overseas Which Country Should I Go To / I Want To Visit Nigeria - What Must I See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.