Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo (2477 Views)

I’m Too Old To Keep Quiet, Ethnic Division Must End – Obasanjo / Rivers APC : Inauguration Of LG, Ward Excos By Amaechi, Act Of Impunity – Abe / US Blames Killings In Nigeria On Reign Of Impunity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by nairayouthcom(m): 4:57pm On Mar 27, 2020
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed why he will continue to speak out on national issues, even when others opt to keep quiet or he is viewed as confrontational.

Obasanjo, who spoke on a wide range of issues in an exclusive interview withNew Telegraphat his Abeokuta, Ogun State residence, said he believes that it is a sin punishable by God for him to see something that is wrong and not being able to condemn it.

“What will be my benefit from government for me to see something that is wrong and not be able to say this is wrong? For me, it is a sin punishable by God. And if I come to tell you this is not right and you give explanation towards that, I might understand,” he said.
The former president, who queried why he should sing praises of anybody, added: “I am not a General to keep quiet. I am a General for what I believe is the best for Nigeria, humanity and what I believe God would want us to do.”
On perception in some quarters that he has been confrontational with almost all his successors, particularly ex-President Goodluck Jonathan and incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari, Obasanjo said his interventions are motivated by his love for Nigeria.

His words: “I won’t call it confrontation; I won’t call it taking on. Again, I will thank God for the perspective He has given me and as I have said to you now, again, without been immodest, there is nobody who have the kind of outreach I’ve had and the type of experience that I’ve had… Like I have told you, I learn in every situation. Even in prison, I called the 419 boys to come and teach me their tactics, just to learn. I think I love Nigeria and humanity and my experience has shown me what is possible.

“Okay, what you call confrontation; let’s take somebody like former President Jonathan. He came and I even threw every caution over board because after I nominated him to Umar Yar’Adua and he accepted and when he (Yar’Adua) died, I thought this was an opportunity for the minority. Of course, you all know that there was that feeling in the North that ‘our man’ has not completed his term. He won that election and, suddenly, he started something that was outrageous to me.
“He started speaking and calling Ijaw nation. I had to go to him and ask: ‘What is this Ijaw nation nonsense?’ I said if you take the Hausa/Fulani as one unit, they may be larger than Yoruba, but if you separate Hausa/Fulani, the Yoruba will be the largest tribe in Nigeria. I asked him if he ever heard me talk of the Yoruba nation. What he did was nonsense. Now, if I go to him to say that, is that confrontation? I said to him: ‘What is the population of the Ijaw? It was not only the Ijaw that voted you into power; it is the whole Nigeria. It’s Nigeria nation and not Ijaw nation,’ but he didn’t listen. But if you call that confrontation, it is up to you. But for me, it is not.”
On his disagreement with Buhari despite supporting him in his first term, Obasanjo said: “For what reason should President Buhari try to monopolise the security within a particular group and then he captured the judiciary and legislature, the electoral commission captured and the impunity and incompetence, taking security not too seriously and you are expecting me to keep quiet?”

On the 2019 presidential election, he said: “When you talk about the last election; the last election is gone. It wasn’t an election but a declaration. There was an election, but the result was not the true result as far as I am concerned.”

Asked whether his position means that the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, defeated President Buhari, Obasanjo averred: “That was not what they declared, but I believe that was what happened. This is not the first time we would have that. We had it in the case of MKO Abiola too.

Read More https://amloaded.com/news/i-wont-keep-quiet-in-the-face-of-impunity-obasanjo/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by ican2020: 5:02pm On Mar 27, 2020
'On the 2019 presidential election, he said: “When you talk about the last election; the last election is gone. It wasn’t an election but a declaration. There was an election, but the result was not the true result as far as I am concerned.”

True talk

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by Miner13: 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2020
BABA will you keep kwayet! you campaign for his first coming deceiving nigerians he's mr right.he has breaking your jaw, you're now crying. cry me ocean baba
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by NwaNimo1(m): 5:07pm On Mar 27, 2020
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by efighter: 5:10pm On Mar 27, 2020
They ganged up, but we dispersed and disgraced them. You told us the Cameroonian bisexual called Atikuchukwu is a useless thief for several years, later you turned around to call him the Messiah. But Nigerians are not fools like you incest.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by efighter: 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2020
ican2020:
'On the 2019 presidential election, he said: “When you talk about the last election; the last election is gone. It wasn’t an election but a declaration. There was an election, but the result was not the true result as far as I am concerned.”

True talk

Obasanjo conducted the election that brought Yar'Adua in. The Supreme Court ruled 4 - 3 in favour of Yar'Adua. Even Yar'Adua admitted that he was rigged in

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by chatinent: 5:17pm On Mar 27, 2020
Obasanjo should shut up! Was he any better?
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by lastempero: 5:26pm On Mar 27, 2020
Baba continue in as much as you contributed to whatever we are passing through in this country.
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by slimfit1(m): 7:00pm On Mar 27, 2020
chatinent:
Obasanjo should shut up! Was he any better?

Obasanjo was 100% better fact. He crushed Boko Haram he demonstrated that he was a full General get that. He might not be perfect but he was brave to secure this countries borders. Guess what he never once mentioned Abacha's mistakes, he made Nigeria one and has a great leadership qualities that Buhari was still 20years late to gain as I type.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 27, 2020
Baba iyabo....the Slayer of incompetence...

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by YorubaKinging: 8:11pm On Mar 27, 2020
Obosanjo should keep quiet
He is part of the cabals that makes this country to be what it's today
He has no moral ground to critize "stupid" buhari

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by sapientia(m): 8:13pm On Mar 27, 2020
When did this happen please?
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by sammyj: 8:17pm On Mar 27, 2020
Baba is right on point on this. Buhari is a failure who will rather cover lie with another lie

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by LaMujer: 8:25pm On Mar 27, 2020
efighter:

Obasanjo conducted the election that brought Yar'Adua in. The Supreme Court ruled 4 - 3 in favour of Yar'Adua. Even Yar'Adua admitted that he was rigged in

Ah, yes! I remember. When Walter Onnoghen voted for Buhari.

You can imagine. Same man is preaching truth
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by LaMujer: 8:26pm On Mar 27, 2020
slimfit1:

Obasanjo was 100% better fact. He crushed Boko Haram he demonstrated that he was a full General get that. He might not be perfect but he was brave to secure this countries borders. Guess what he never once mentioned Abacha's mistakes, he made Nigeria one and has a great leadership qualities that Buhari was still 20years late to gain as I type.

Sir?? shocked
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by Goodgod213: 8:31pm On Mar 27, 2020
Obasanjo is a failure and has nothing to contribute. If he had gotten it right in his tenure people would have applauded him. He is a total failure abeg. Only trying to be relevant in the scheme of things
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by slimfit1(m): 9:54pm On Mar 27, 2020
LaMujer:

Sir?? shocked
Ma?
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by LaMujer: 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2020
slimfit1:

Ma?

Wetin concern obj with Boko Haram?
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by lovemoi2(f): 9:59pm On Mar 27, 2020
Lol

WHEN THESE IDIOT POLITICIANS ARE STEALING AND MAKING THEMSELVES RICH THEY DONT REMEMBER NIGERIANS

BUT WHEN THEY NEED SUPPORT THEY REMEMBER THE JOBLESS NIGERIANS

I dont blame them, I blame the hungry idiots that come online to fight for them
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by NaijaFutbol: 10:03pm On Mar 27, 2020
Hehehe

We all knew Buhari had o thing to offer
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by Ojiofor: 10:17pm On Mar 27, 2020
Yoruba muslims are insulting OBJ.That is not fair.
Re: I Won’t Keep Quiet In The Face Of Impunity – Obasanjo by johnmartus(m): 10:21pm On Mar 27, 2020
Everything is nonsense without substance.

(1) (Reply)

Edo 2020: Wike Threatens To Choke Ganduje Into Coma Over Isolation Plot / Ikonso’s Successor Emerges A Day After Dead Of ESN Commander / Revealed!!! Factors Why Nigeria Would Never Subdue Igbos With Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.