Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,146 members, 7,953,533 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:15 PM

Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 (57560 Views)

51 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. Total 493. 17 deaths. 159 discharged / 23 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria, Total Of 174 Confirmed Cases / COVID-19: Nigeria Confirms Five New Cases, Total Now 51 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by viccipedia: 6:41am On Mar 28, 2020
Damsman10:

Wait till they begin to test massively. I hope you won't run when you hear 43M Confirmed cases.

But By God's grace, e no go reach so and we shall all overcome.
what I’m saying in simple terms is that only Nigeria has gone from 16 yesterday to 5 the next day. So it’s either we’re record breakers, or there’s another story somewhere.
Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by Equation89(m): 8:11am On Mar 28, 2020
All these money people donated is enough to acquire test kits and supply them to all the local government in Nigeria and make them available to at least 3 or 5 wards in the local government for massive Corona virus test.

Does it mean that these figures are not coming in contact with people on daily basis,?

The figure being reported are the ones they were able to get, what about those that have it but don't know they have it.

We need more proactive measures
Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by byinks(f): 3:55pm On Mar 28, 2020
Litmus:
In the Uk, the Boris Johnson’s government initially wanted only to take limited action against Covid, their instinct was to let Covid run its course, yes it would result in many deaths but immunity would build up in the population. Boris Johnson understood that the course of action pursued by Nations like Italy and Germany, which is essentially shutting down the Nation, would cost billions and potentially bankrupt the UK economy. In the eventuality, Boris Johnson’s’ government was criticised into emulating the Europe model. Now, the way I see Nigeria going, with people crying and wanting Nigeria to do as the West, even though Nigeria does not posses the more solid economic safety net of Western nations and not even the criteria - given the limited number of deaths from Covid comparatively- it might not be the worst idea to adopt the approach Boris Johnson was forced to abandon.

Nigeria has 1 death. Souht Africa has just 1 death, remember.

The major weapon here is fear.
I'm sure a lot of people on this thread here have felt unwell in the past 3 weeks and recovered

It could have been Coronavirus.
Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by NiCurious: 8:45pm On Mar 28, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Here’s the rest of my argument to the guy (which is totally original by the way):

First of all we’d be doing everything other countries are doing EXCEPT totally shut down our society. People will be sentisized to not crowd together, social distancing, to wash hands, to use face masks, etc, PLUS we’d also be treating those we can which will save some. So there’d be no “everyone is allowed to be infected at the same time, with no one taking care of anybody“.

The message IS getting out, true, but there will be those who cannot, or will not, comply. Last I read, there are only 700 ventilators, which does not come close to the number that may be needed--given the high population, and given the percentage of those infected, who need ventilators[color=#550000][/color]

Secondly 97% of the infected, get well without needing any special medical care (so for them it is just like, say, malaria)

Your 97% is a higher percentage than other countries are showing.[color=#550000][/color]

Thirdly we’d have more people who have survived the virus and therefore whose blood have immunity and can be used to treat the sick (this has been shown to work)

I'm not current on the blood work research, so won't comment much on that. The blood would need to be screened for other blood-borne diseases too, as usual. Among people who are healthy to begin with, most should get through without much bother, judging by the stats from other countries. But, see the next point....[color=#550000][/color]

Fourthly we should remember we are overpopulated.

Overpopulation is hard to forget. I understand that you are being rational and analytical, but if it's your own grandma whose life is in the balance, that might sway your opinion a bit.... It is the overpopulation that worries me, the overcrowding, the widespread malnutrition and hunger that reduce the body's ability to fight back. These are all people who did not ask to be in that situation to begin with. Also, given how common malaria is, and how many people have it at any given time, or who are recovering...remember, it attacks the red blood cells which carry oxygen...and covid is a respiratory disease...anyone with malaria, or recovering from it, would be at extra risk, I would think.[color=#550000][/color]

It is better that we fight a war and win and come out stronger (though losing some people), than to close everything and hide like cowards because of an enemy we know we can defeat (though we’d lose some people while doing it). Countries have gone to war instead of surrendering, knowing fully well they’d lose half their people!

To continue in the cold, analytical vein, one of the big issues with covid in places like the US, is that it is taking down skilled health care workers (sometimes permanently), who are then unavailable to care for any patients, whether covid patients or regular patients who are suffering from regular pre-covid 19 ailments. So there is a loss of very helpful, knowledgeable people (as opposed to us regular lumps of flesh).[color=#550000]

A war is being fought regardless, with untrained personnel, making the best of it, and leaving much to chance, as usual. [color=#550000]
[/color][/color]
Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by CanadaOrBust: 2:37am On Mar 29, 2020
NiCurious:
[/color][/color]

Thanks 4 input. Well why then do u think Japanese approach to date (see below) has been successful - no extensive testing, no closing down of society

Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by NiCurious: 7:10pm On Mar 29, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Thanks 4 input. Well why then do u think Japanese approach to date (see below) has been successful - no extensive testing, no closing down of society

No extensive testing? If you don't look, you won't find. smiley

Attaching a link to an analysis in today's MSN feed. It's an interesting read, food for thought. If indeed Japan has a low number of cases, accurately reported, one of the reasons I most appreciate, is early screening of arrivals to the country. Though as you see, there are many possible factors, including a fairly hygienic culture, helping to limit the spread of the virus, which nonetheless got in.

It will be interesting to see if their approach serves well in the end. Watching with interest.

The link: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/“this-may-be-the-tip-of-the-iceberg”-why-japans-coronavirus-crisis-may-be-just-beginning/ar-BB11RQbB?ocid=spartanntp
Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by CanadaOrBust: 7:40pm On Mar 29, 2020
NiCurious:

No extensive testing? If you don't look, you won't find. smiley

Attaching a link to an analysis in today's MSN feed. It's an interesting read, food for thought. If indeed Japan has a low number of cases, accurately reported, one of the reasons I most appreciate, is early screening of arrivals to the country. Though as you see, there are many possible factors, including a fairly hygienic culture, helping to limit the spread of the virus, which nonetheless got in.

It will be interesting to see if their approach serves well in the end. Watching with interest.

The link: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/“this-may-be-the-tip-of-the-iceberg”-why-japans-coronavirus-crisis-may-be-just-beginning/ar-BB11RQbB?ocid=spartanntp

Thanks 4 the link. I did no see anything about Japan from it.

But, SERIOUSLY, there is something not adding up about this virus!
Italy banned all flights from China Jan 31, the same day two Chinese tourists became their first cases. Then they imposed quarantine and other draconian measures. Japan’s first case was Jan 16, and they never really banned flights and intentionally under-tested (see below). S. Korea tested everybody. Iran another anomaly. China has suddenly opened up everywhere, including Wuhan - why no more quarantine? What is suddenly protecting them? China also never complained of shortage of ventilators or anything. Did they just let sufferers die? The virus has never killed anyone between 1 and 10, also almost no one under 20. People also have different symptoms, some non at all - they test positive but never get sick - WHY?

Re: Five New Cases Of Coronavirus Infection In Nigeria; Total Now 70 by NiCurious: 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Thanks 4 the link. I did no see anything about Japan from it.

But, SERIOUSLY, there is something not adding up about this virus!
Italy banned all flights from China Jan 31, the same day two Chinese tourists became their first cases. Then they imposed quarantine and other draconian measures. Japan’s first case was Jan 16, and they never really banned flights and intentionally under-tested (see below). S. Korea tested everybody. Iran another anomaly. China has suddenly opened up everywhere, including Wuhan - why no more quarantine? What is suddenly protecting them? China also never complained of shortage of ventilators or anything. Did they just let sufferers die? The virus has never killed anyone between 1 and 10, also almost no one under 20. People also have different symptoms, some non at all - they test positive but never get sick - WHY?

Sorry about the link, I forgot to test it before posting. To make it work, copy the rest of the address above (after the active link) into the search bar of that site. I think you will like the article.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How A Cleaner Rubbished A P.hD Holder / Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) / Coronavirus: Doctor Mohammed Kumshe Dies In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.