Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently (1147 Views)

#1,500/$ Naira Rises Against The Dollar As Enemies Of Nigeria Wails / Reno Omokri Educates Nigerians On The Dollar Exchange Rate, Over 6000 Likes / $1 = 730 Naira??? Please What Makes Dollar Rise In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 28, 2020
[left][/left]The news popped up on FP on dollar rise, which obviously might be just panic creation by the regulators because if you look at it objectively, it has no reason to rise.

Of what purpose are you using the dollar today?

- Plane tickets? - Airports shut

- Vacations? - Visas cancelled

- Foreign items except related to basic items? Borders shut

- Cars import? stay at home

- Supermarket items (foreign)? Basic food necessities are really not the foreign items.

- the world economy is at its lowest ebb aswell.

What really are you using the dollar for today that has warranted the panic rise?...

Let's discuss..
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Tumbulum: 7:47am On Mar 28, 2020
Save their money against impending depreciation of the naira.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by ucheuzor1(m): 7:48am On Mar 28, 2020
Na those wey get dollars you dey talk to na. I dey igbudu market dey hustle for my daily bread. No time to check corona virus time.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 28, 2020
Tumbulum:
Save their money against impending depreciation of the naira.

The world economy would rebound almost in same period aswell, as well as various economies.. the virus affects everyone.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Tumbulum: 7:56am On Mar 28, 2020
Esseite:

The world economy would rebound almost in same period aswell, as well as various economies.. the virus affects everyone.

it will rebound but trust Nigeria naira to remain where the depreciation Left it. The CBN for the first time sold the naira at 380 per dollar. I think that is enough for any body to predict the future of the naira.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 28, 2020
Tumbulum:
it will rebound but trust Nigeria naira to remain where the depreciation Left it. The CBN for the first time sold the naira at 380 per dollar. I think that is enough for any body to predict the future of the naira.

Just maybe when it blows over, people might just have experienced and found alternatives that does not warrant so much imports..
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Tumbulum: 8:12am On Mar 28, 2020
Esseite:

Just maybe when it blows over, people might just have experienced and found alternatives that does not warrant so much imports..
I applaud your resolve to remain positive in the face of the impending doom. It takes a lot more than positivity for us to move from import dependent to become a manufacturing hub.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by GamalNasser: 8:19am On Mar 28, 2020
People are converting their naira reserve into dollars to to protect the value from Buharis ineptitude

3 Likes

Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 28, 2020
Tumbulum:
I applaud your resolve to remain positive in the face of the impending doom. It takes a lot more than positivity for us to move from import dependent to become a manufacturing hub.

Yes it does, we have always not believed in it because we want a standard like the chinese produce it or the Americans produce it..

Now is an opportunity to produce it like we know and with what is available aswell, as no foreign competitive market would serve as alternative.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by spiritedtete: 10:37am On Mar 28, 2020
Keeping it and waiting for it to appreciate more... so i can take advantage of the real estate in Nigeria lol
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by Tianamen1: 11:13am On Mar 28, 2020
Esseite. How does the federal government pay salaries to workers. Where do the federal and state governments get the naira from that they share on a monthly basis. From crude oil sales right?

Crude oil has lost 50 percent of its value so revenues have also falling by about 50 percent.

When Nigeria earns oil money, dollars are deposited with the CBN which then gives the government back naira and then credits the foreign reserves with the dollars.

If earnings are above the budgeted amount, the excess earnings are put in a special fund such as the excess crude account or the sovereign wealth fund for a rainy day.

Nigeria has little to no money in its excess crude account and the amount of dollar earnings has dwindled. If the naira is not devalued, how will the government get enough naira to pay its workers?

1 Like

Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by yomi007k(m): 4:31pm On Mar 28, 2020
Tianamen1:
Esseite. How does the federal government pay salaries to workers. Where do the federal and state governments get the naira from that they share on a monthly basis. From crude oil sales right?

Crude oil has lost 50 percent of its value so revenues have also falling by about 50 percent.

When Nigeria earns oil money, dollars are deposited with the CBN which then gives the government back naira and then credits the foreign reserves with the dollars.

If earnings are above the budgeted amount, the excess earnings are put in a special fund such as the excess crude account or the sovereign wealth fund for a rainy day.

Nigeria has little to no money in its excess crude account and the amount of dollar earnings has dwindled. If the naira is not devalued, how will the government get enough naira to pay its workers?

This is the reality government( both past and present) have always avoided.

The government can either live within its means ( which is the logical thing to do) or borrow more money ( which will make our future generation run into more debt).
Another possibility is heavy taxation and disengagement of non -functional government parastatals/ officials.

1 Like

Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by fineboynl(m): 5:27pm On Mar 28, 2020
Nigeria is dead and should be sold off.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by lagdmark(m): 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2020
fineboynl:
Nigeria is dead and should be sold off.
I am suspecting you, i hope you don't have buyers already to buy Nigeria.
Re: Dollar rise: What Are You Using The Dollar For Currently by NwaNimo1(m): 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2020
Esseite:
[left][/left]The news popped up on FP on dollar rise, which obviously might be just panic creation by the regulators because if you look at it objectively, it has no reason to rise.

Of what purpose are you using the dollar today?

- Plane tickets? - Airports shut

- Vacations? - Visas cancelled

- Foreign items except related to basic items? Borders shut

- Cars import? stay at home

- Supermarket items (foreign)? Basic food necessities are really not the foreign items.

- the world economy is at its lowest ebb aswell.

What really are you using the dollar for today that has warranted the panic rise?...

Let's discuss..

I'm using my dollars to buy gold!

(1) (Reply)

MURIC Blasts Muslims Who Dared Coronavirus / How Will IPOB A Terrorist Organization Share 300 Million Due To Corona Lockdown? / Nnamdi Kanu, I Gave Asari 20M. Asari I'm Igbo, Ijaw Is Older Than Igbo & Kanu Li

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.