Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo (8794 Views)

Otusha Faith Agbo Graduates With First Class In Mathematics From UK University / As A Male Secondary Teacher, Will You Flog A Student That Has Big Breast/yansh? / Kpagane Desire: RSUST Student That Went Missing Is Back After Suicide Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by highfaculty(m): 8:37am On Mar 31, 2020
Source Article: https://highfaculty.com/disadvantages-of-part-time-study
I really had my own fair share of challenges when I took up part time programme at a University in Nigeria.

How I wish anyone had told me what I was up against, it would have been better. It really wasn't easy for me.

Please, before you take up a part-time study, you really have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages.

Quietly read this article and when you are done, please share on social media. Thank you!

And according to a study by the National Center for Education Statistics that examined part-time undergraduates who began school in 1995, 73 per cent had left school without earning a degree or certificate. Among full-time students, only 28 per cent had dropped out without a degree or certificate.

Part-time students are less likely to graduate or drop out compared to full-time students. The disadvantages of studying part-time if properly checked could be a major reason some persons would prefer to attend full time studying than studying part-time.

In fact, not everyone is advised to take up part-time or full-time study as the case may be because of the disadvantages.

Often students choose to go to school part-time to be able to maintain a job or perform other activities while still receiving an education.

Being a part-time student carries with it some unavoidable disadvantages you cannot sweep under the carpet.

DISADVANTAGES OF STUDYING PART-TIME
Here are a few lists of disadvantages you should consider before taking up a part-time study.

1. DISTRACTIONS
If you are taking up full-time study, you should have a more focussed and balanced mind to academic activities. You have time to meet up with deadlines set up by lecturers.

However, if you are a part-time student, you will have lots of unavoidable distractions.

One reason most people take up part-time study is that they have other things doing which are equally very important. Such things divert the attention of part-time students.

Studying with a stressed mind or divided attention doesn't help study.

If you are a worker, you may find your boss is not very understanding about your course and doesn’t give you the support that you need.

You may even be self-employed but the distractions aren't different at all. This is a major disadvantage of part-time study

2. LONGER TIME TO COMPLETE
It will always take longer for a part-time student to graduate than for a full-time student to complete the same course load.

If a full-time student takes four classes a semester and graduates in four years, it will take a part-time student taking half as many classes eight years.

But in reality, part-time courses only add a single year which means the scheme is not all the same with the full-time study plan.

This in its self is a disadvantage of part-time study. Also, this can result in a delay in the career advancement that a degree confers on its recipient.

Furthermore, most part-time students, lose interest and have a long break in the middle of their program, or fail exams because they don't have time to fully concentrate on revision and therefore have to re-take failed courses.

3. VERY EXPENSIVE
It's normally more expensive than full-time study.

This range from the tuition fee to other expenses incurred during the program. To take up part-time study, you should be ready to spend more money and even more precious time.

Part-time students usually have classes during weekends. This is really expensive as weekends aren't really free time for anyone.

4. SOCIAL ISOLATION
One of the chief drawbacks of being a part-time student is missing out on social contact with peers.

This can include personal benefits, such as making new friends, as well as professional ones, such as making new contacts among other students and teachers in your field.

You can also be missing out on school activities. Also, you can't even stay in the school hostel as accommodation is not provided for part-time students.

Studying part-time will almost certainly mean that you don’t feel like you are part of the class in the same way that you would if you are studying full-time.

If your course is online, you may not get to know your course mates at all. And if your main aim is to get a qualification and move on, that may not be an issue, but in general, a sense of belonging will encourage you to work harder.

Support from coursemates could also help spur you on in your studies, but of course, if you barely know them, this is unlikely to happen.

5. LIMITED COURSES FOR STUDY
It's not all courses that accept part-time students. This becomes a disadvantage to studying part-time if the course you would have loved to study isn't available in your desired school.

This is particularly true among elite institutions, which often demand that students attend full time.

Therefore, part-time students have a smaller pool of programs to attend, limiting their options for the type of education they can receive.

Even more, not all universities are accredited to even run a part-time degree programme. You can check out the list of universities accredited to run the part-time program in Nigeria.

In Uniben, not all courses are accredited for part-time study. You can also check the list of part-time courses offered in Uniben.

6. LESS ATTENTION FROM LECTURERS
This is a major disadvantage of part-time study. Part-time students are not normally giving the needed academic attention.

In some cases, lecturers don't even show up to take part-time students.

Most likely, part-time students may even gather for a class during weekends and lecturers won't show up.

Some times, lecturers may just give excuses like attending social activities during the weekend and not show up. This is a disadvantage of part-time study.

We do hope you find this article encompassing enough. Please take a little time to hit the share button to share these articles with friends.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by Arkmanbuddy(m): 8:53am On Mar 31, 2020
That's true. But it's expensive because the program is meant for workers who desire to further their education. The disadvantages are enormous but with determination one can pull through.

4 Likes

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by divinechildparr: 8:53am On Mar 31, 2020
Thank you for this wonderful article.
Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by dawnomike(m): 9:13am On Mar 31, 2020
I am not really a fan of Part-time studies except for professional course like MBA

1 Like

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by 2cul2care: 9:52am On Mar 31, 2020
Most of what u said is true but pertime studies is designed for people who don't have time for full time studies

I don't expect a teenager now to opt in for pertime studies when such a person can opt in for a full time courses and also likewise u don't expect a mother or father who has kids to opt in for full time studies of course such a person will naturally opt in for pertime studies to further their education.

And d part of partime students dropping out, I grossly disagree I know lots of people who got their BSC n BA through pertime studies n r doing well in their respective fields today, besides its easier to again admission for pertime studies instead of waiting ages and writing JAMB countless number of times to gain admission.

Besides its all about mindset, discipline and determination anyone enrolling for pertime studies has to be serious with it.

Lastly pertime study is only difficult in countries like NIGERIA, in developed countries u don't even need to step foot on a university or higher institutions soil before u can get a degree, u can enroll for a course online and in 3 to 4yrs you have your degree, without steping foot in the actual school.

Generally things have improved and education all over the world is made much simpler and easier, its only in countries like NIGERIA where we still operate based on an analog system, that everything seems to be a struggle and the education system seems built to fustrate students.

Hopefully we'll get there someday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by Nickshrapnel: 11:53am On Mar 31, 2020
Part-time studies was chiefly created for workers who wish to further their education, but it's quite sad to see some parent put their kids/wards into a pt program

2 Likes

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by highfaculty(m): 11:57am On Mar 31, 2020
2cul2care:
Most of what u said is true but pertime studies is designed for people who don't have time for full time studies

I don't expect a teenager now to opt in for pertime studies when such a person can opt in for a full time courses and also likewise u don't expect a mother or father who has kids to opt in for full time studies of course such a person will naturally opt in for pertime studies to further their education.

And d part of partime students dropping out, I grossly disagree I know lots of people who got their BSC n BA through pertime studies n r doing well in their respective fields today, besides its easier to again admission for pertime studies instead of waiting ages and writing JAMB countless number of times to gain admission.

Besides its all about mindset, discipline and determination anyone enrolling for pertime studies has to be serious with it.

Lastly pertime study is only difficult in countries like NIGERIA, in developed countries u don't even need to step foot on a university or higher institutions soil before u can get a degree, u can enroll for a course online and in 3 to 4yrs you have your degree, without steping foot in the actual school.

Generally things have improved and education all over the world is made much simpler and easier, its only in countries like NIGERIA where we still operate based on an analog system, that everything seems to be a struggle and the education system seems built to fustrate students.

Hopefully we'll get there someday.

Thank you for your immersed contribution.
You actually said it all.
Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by highfaculty(m): 12:01pm On Mar 31, 2020
Nickshrapnel:
Part-time studies was chiefly created for workers who wish to further their education, but it's quite sad to see some parent put their kids/wards into a pt program

Imagine 19-20years old persons who just tried writing jamb one and twice opting for PT...
I don't think that's right.
PT should be a result of a carefully made decision by a person not because of not being able to pass jamb for many teenagers.
There are even programmes like jupeb, IJMB etc that don't require Jamb

1 Like

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by Nickshrapnel: 12:06pm On Mar 31, 2020
highfaculty:

Imagine 19-20years old persons who just tried writing jamb one and twice opting for PT...
I don't think that's right.
PT should be a result of a carefully made decision by a person not because of not being able to pass jamb for many teenagers.
There are even programmes like jupeb, IJMB etc that don't require Jamb
Some parents unknowingly set their kids on a part of destruction

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by micfoley: 4:03pm On Mar 31, 2020
interesting

1 Like

Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by Dinny22: 12:05am On Feb 10, 2023
Hi guys hope I can revive this thread and get a response, I'm a 20-year-old, who is considering going for PT, I have never failed JAMB and I consider myself to be well above average intellectually. I have some questions and I'm in need of guidance.
I run a business that is going well by The grace of God and I also have a remote job. I have been saddled with a lot of responsibilities as a firstborn son, and at this point, it doesn't seem wise to pursue a full-time course at the risk of all I have managed to set up.
But I have always had my doubts about part-time education and I need someone to tell me expressly that aside from it being expensive, stressful, and longer to complete; it does not affect the certificate in any way. That is to say, Na still de same certificate I go collect?
Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by MrReeseG(m): 9:55am On Mar 19, 2023
Dinny22:
Hi guys hope I can revive this thread and get a response, I'm a 20-year-old, who is considering going for PT, I have never failed JAMB and I consider myself to be well above average intellectually. I have some questions and I'm in need of guidance.
I run a business that is going well by The grace of God and I also have a remote job. I have been saddled with a lot of responsibilities as a firstborn son, and at this point, it doesn't seem wise to pursue a full-time course at the risk of all I have managed to set up.
But I have always had my doubts about part-time education and I need someone to tell me expressly that aside from it being expensive, stressful, and longer to complete; it does not affect the certificate in any way. That is to say, Na still de same certificate I go collect?

Yes, it is the same certificate
There is no way for prospective employers to differentiate
Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by sammirano: 7:19pm On Mar 19, 2023
MrReeseG:

Yes, it is the same certificate
There is no way for prospective employers to differentiate

Dey play
Re: My Regrets As A Part Time Student, That I Won't Wish For Anyone-amaka Agbo by AdelinaSwin: 7:34am On Sep 18, 2023
It sounds like you have a personal story or reflection to share about your experiences as a part-time student. Regrets and challenges are a natural part of any educational journey, and they can provide valuable lessons for personal growth with https://okthesis.net/ site there. If you'd like to share more about your experiences or if you have specific questions or topics you'd like to discuss related to being a part-time student, feel free to provide more details, and I'd be happy to offer insights or guidance.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: UNILAG Reopens Hostels After Six Weeks, To Start Exams / Is English And Literary Studies A Good Course / Admission To Study In Malaysian Universities!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.