Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. (568 Views)

Few Lessons That Will Be Learnt After 2023 Elections. / Epidemic Looms As Refuse Overruns Anambra Roads / The Beauty Of Lagos During The Corona Virus lockdown -photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by leonard509(m): 1:51pm On Mar 31, 2020
How i wish the "Africa" I'm a part of today is the Africa of my dreams..I believe a wake up call is what we need, and this #Covid-19 pandemic sure reveals a lot about our current situation. I hereby charge us Africans( about1.4 billion) to:
1. Realize and accept that we are in the dark/stone age while the rest of world is in the information age. They got there by using and after using their personal resources(brains, minds, hands etc), things we were equally equipped with by our creator.
2. Realize and accept that our dependence on foreign nations/continents for things as small as match-sticks puts us in a very vulnerable position to any and every negative elements these our "helpers/more advanced nations" decides to throw at us. We depend on foreign nations/continents for everything we use, do, consume etc and they offer us what they also think we need too(good and bad) like technology, social system, health system, government system, language,culture, VIRUSES, DISEASE, WARS, HUNGER, TERRORISM, RELIGION etc.
3. Realize that we're an irresponsible bunch(thanks to colonization and enculturation)and until we go back to being responsible for everything that has to do with our lives and well being, we would suffer and keep suffering. If the children and citizens of these foreign nations work/study/manufacture in various fields to provide their needs and ours, what are we living/studying for? If all we do is consume what they bring forth then we're leaving ourselves to be mere followers, puppets and hooligans.
4. Stop depending on our government and politicians to make our country/country/lives better, they are equally(if not more) irresponsible. We as a people have all it takes to steer our continent to advancement in all spheres. Let me use my "ship and propellers" analogy to illustrate something.
IF AFRICA WERE A SHIP THAT IS EQUIPPED/POPULATED WITH ABOUT 1.4 BILLION PROPELLERS/PEOPLE, IT WILL BE REALLY STUPID AND IMPRACTICAL FOR 98% OF THOSE PROPELLERS/PEOPLE TO LEAVE THE JOB OF PROPELLING AFRICA TO ADVANCEMENT/INDEPENDENCE IN THE HANDS OF 2% OF THE PROPELLERS/PEOPLE/POLITICIANS. DOWNSIZE TO A COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA, WITH ABOUT 200MILLION PEOPLE/PROPELLERS THE POLITICIANS THERE DON'T NUMBER UP TO 2 MILLION YET 198 MILLION PEOPLE/PROPELLERS DEPEND ON THEM TO PROPEL THEM TO BETTER DAYS. WHY HAS 198 MILLION PROPELLERS/PEOPLE LEFT THIS JOB OF CORRECTLY PROPELLING TO JUST ABOUT 2 MILLION PEOPLE? WHY HAS 198 MILLION PROPELLERS/PEOPLE ENTRUSTED THEIR JOB WHICH IS LINKED TO THEIR BRIGHT FUTURE TO A FEW PERSONS WHO HAS PROVEN TRACK RECORDS OF BEING IRRESPONSIBLE AND BAD AT THEIR JOB. THEY HAVE PROVEN TRACK RECORDS OF FAILURE BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN IN EXISTENCE, OR RATHER THE SYSTEM UNDER WHICH THEY AND WITH WHICH THEY OPERATE HAS BEEN IN EXISTENCE SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL. LET'S BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR WELL BEING, LET'S UTILIZE OUR STRENGTH,PERSONAL RESOURCES AND OUR SYNERGIZED INFLUENCE TO PROPEL OURSELVES TO A BETTER TOMORROW.
TO DO THIS WE NEED ONLY CHANGE OUR MINDS AND ACT PROGRESSIVELY, WE NEED NOT RAISE OUR VOICE, HANDS OR ARMS. WE NEED ONLY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY TO THE PRODUCTION AND PROVISION OF THE THINGS WE LIVE WITH, FROM OUR FOODS, TO OUR CLOTHING, TO THE OTHER THINGS WE USE TO MEET OUR DAILY NEEDS. WE NEED TO WALK THE LENGTH THAT WILL TAKE US FROM BEING IN THE DARK/STONE AGE TO OUR VERY OWN INFORMATION AGE. WE NEED TO DISCOVERER AND USE OUR RESOURCES, MINDS, BRAINS ETC TO CONQUER OUR IMMEDIATE ENVIRONMENT, WE NEED TO DISCOVER FOR OURSELVES OURSELVES PRINCIPLES & THEORIES GOVERNING SYSTEMS, LIFE, PROCESSES AND ALL. WE NEED TO INVENT THINGS AND UPGRADE/IMPROVE THEM BY OURSELVES. For example, I feel we should make our our calculator/computer in such a way that power transmission will be by metallic conductors and information transmission by anything that can transmit light(fiber optics kinda thing), that will make the device very light and flexible..
IN ESSENCE I'M SAYING THAT WE NEED TO DEVELOP EVERY DAMN THING WE USE, SO WONT AGAIN IMPORT VIRUSES, WARS, HUNGER AND ALL OTHER ILLS FROM FOREIGN NATIONS..

AN APPEAL FROM EPSI.
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by donbachi(m): 2:12pm On Mar 31, 2020
And nigeria is 100yrs backward.
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by Iceberg3: 2:14pm On Mar 31, 2020
But north is a burden to the south..the only problem of the south are the tigerclaws
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by babdap: 2:43pm On Mar 31, 2020
The lesson for our politicians is that if they don't fix our health sector, our health sector will fix them.
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by nakaman: 3:59pm On Mar 31, 2020
let's just survive the epidemic
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by leonard509(m): 4:44pm On Apr 03, 2020
Iceberg3:
But north is a burden to the south..the only problem of the south are the tigerclaws
have you lived in the north? Do you know that what you buy with 50k n the south will cost you 25k and below in the north? Everything in the north is cheap when compared to the south.. we southerners are somewhat greedy and opportunistic, people in the north are more welcoming than people in the south... a friend of mine that schooled in Minna complained of harsh treatment and how costly things were when she went to NYSC camp in ebonyi, my cousin schooled in ANSU and is serving in Nasarawa state, he said when he began to love north was from the price he paid the bike man as t-fare after a long journey...we bought goat head for less than 800 and he said we were enjoying, it's at least twice the price in the east...
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 03, 2020
You that know, show others who don't know. Its not by writing passages on NL. What have you done in real life to be an example of the steps Africans should take?

For example you go to an ATM and you see a long queue, meanwhile there is another one by the side but nobody is using that one.

Many people coming in will join the queue, some will first check to see if that other ATM is working, and if it is, voila! The length of the queue reduces.

Hope you get my analogy. Don't wait for anybody else to do what you're thinking should be done.
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by baralatie(m): 4:58pm On Apr 03, 2020
babdap:
The lesson for our politicians is that if they don't fix our health sector, our health sector will fix them.
That is the koko
Re: After The Corona Epidemic, A Few Lessons For Africa. by leonard509(m): 1:43pm On Apr 22, 2020
Bitchlover:
You that know, show others who don't know. Its not by writing passages on NL. What have you done in real life to be an example of the steps Africans should take?

For example you go to an ATM and you see a long queue, meanwhile there is another one by the side but nobody is using that one.

Many people coming in will join the queue, some will first check to see if that other ATM is working, and if it is, voila! The length of the queue reduces.

Hope you get my analogy. Don't wait for anybody else to do what you're thinking should be done.

(1) (Reply)

Nursing Group Seek Resignation Of Health Min.over Comments On Healthcare Workers / How Will Nigeria Diversify It’s Economy And Create Jobs After Covid-19? / No Nation Has Veto Power Over Afdb, African Leaders Back Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.