Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,617 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection (15385 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 7:22am On Jan 05, 2011
netotse:

touche. . .apparently you cant help yourself either. your (well-documented)knee-jerk reactions as far as LASG is concerned is more telling than you think cheesy

P.S. My guess is that you were going for a stylish insult right? you're going to have to do much better than that. . .smh

If you have something better to contribute and help the topic along, go ahead and state your case, just don't bother me with silly rubbish.

Like I said, I can't help you.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by jacobs123(m): 8:48am On Jan 05, 2011
babapupa:

Saying you have not benefited from Fashola betrayed you and your comments. It strips you of whatever credibility. You don't have to remain in Lagos just to deal with ACN or Fashola, move to Ogun or Oyo state and go feel at home with your PDP folks, they'll treat you nice.   

Unfortunately for you, I don't operate on emotions and ignorance like many of you.

I'm repeating it. I got nothing from Fashola's govt last year even though I paid more tax than Fashola himself! I have no water supply, no access to reasonable mortgage, no access to public school and do not even pray to need to use LASG hospitals 'cos even Tinubu and Fashola will not use them, I value my life too! The only tarred road in my locality got worse last year courtesy of HItech and LCC. Before LCC and Hitech, Ajah to VI was 1 hr tops but now it's anything from 3 hrs

babapupa:

#1. Only an ignorant and non Lagosian compares and sites other state's budget to make a point per Lagos state and it's finances.

The states you mention are glorified towns and  villages called states

Lagos state's population is 18 million and the states you mentioned have less than half of Lagos state's population.

The societal and  infrastructural demand in Lagos state outweighs the states you mentioned combined x 10.

The states you mention are not welcoming thousands of Nigerians from every corner of Nigeria every single day and stretching the state's resources and infrastructure to the bones.

Lastly, stop feeling so important about Lagos state's money or budget, the state is extremely poor @ 2 billion dollars/18 million people and crumbling with non existing infrastructure.

I can talk about such states because they build new roads (certainly more than 23 Km), pay salaries, make frivolus trips abroad for executive and legislators and steal state money from their ~N50 bn budget yet Lagos wants to resurface a 23Km road for same amount, please explain to me why I can't make comparison. meanwhile, there's evidence that Lagos state has coughed out N5 bn on this same project and depending on who you talk to LASG may have coughed out up to N20 Bn

babapupa:

Lastly, stop feeling so important about Lagos state's money or budget, the state is extremely poor @ 2 billion dollars/18 million people and crumbling with non existing infrastructure.

Lagos state may be poor by American standards but is probably the richest in Nigeria and if its really a poor state, please let's see the evidence in the lives of our public officials.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Jan 05, 2011
jacobs123:

[size=13pt]Lagos state may be poor by American standards but is probably the richest in Nigeria and if its really a poor state, please let's see the evidence in the lives of our public officials.[/size]

[size=14pt]POW!!![/size]
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 2:28pm On Jan 05, 2011
Lagos state may be poor by American standards but is probably the richest in Nigeria and if its really a poor state, please let's see the evidence in the lives of our public officials.

which public officials in particular are you referring to?

the ones in other states?
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 3:50pm On Jan 05, 2011
jacobs123:

I'm repeating it. I got nothing from Fashola's govt last year even though I paid more tax than Fashola himself! I have no water supply, no access to reasonable mortgage, no access to public school and do not even pray to need to use LASG hospitals 'cos even Tinubu and Fashola will not use them, I value my life too! The only tarred road in my locality got worse last year courtesy of HItech and LCC. Before LCC and Hitech, Ajah to VI was 1 hr tops but now it's anything from 3 hrs

I guess it's comedy time, lmoa. Till you're able to show me your tax records and Fashola's tax records, please shut up and quit insulting people's intelligence with your rubbish,

I can talk about such states because they build new roads (certainly more than 23 Km), pay salaries, make frivolus trips abroad for executive and legislators and steal state money from their ~N50 bn budget yet Lagos wants to resurface a 23Km road for same amount, please explain to me why I can't make comparison. meanwhile, there's evidence that Lagos state has coughed out N5 bn on this same project and depending on who you talk to LASG may have coughed out up to N20 Bn.

Fell free to talk about other states, it does nothing but compounds your ignorance and faulty sense of reasoning.

Like tpia1 asked, which public officials in particular are you referring to?

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by russellino: 4:57pm On Jan 05, 2011
I cant say how happy i am that the despicable symbol of unbridled capitalism has been at least slowed down. The toll gates dont really make sense high tariffs or low tariffs. The road was built without toll gates and its rebuilding shouldnt. I hope this isnt a re-election ploy sha.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Mariory(m): 5:04pm On Jan 05, 2011
babapupa:

#1. Los Angeles is a city, not a state like Lagos State.

#2. The population of the City of Los Angeles is 3 million and their budget is 7 billion dollars (A city, not a state)

#3[b]The population of the State of Lagos is 18 million and the budget is only 2 billion dollars [/b](A Real state)

#4. The infrastructure in Los Angeles is fully developed and most of their budget is not going towards capital projects, they are basically maintaining decades old infrastructure.

#5[b] The state of Lagos is starting from scratch with a huge chunk of the budget going towards capital projects.[/b]

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs about this particular project, I really cannot understand why people can not get the bolded points into their heads especially when they go on about tax. The simple fact is, for the state government to bring infastructure to a decent level on it's own in Lagos, then it will have to raise tax to a much higher level. And we haven't even looked at how much it would cost to maintain said infastructure.

Unfortunately due to Lagos being one of the only areas you can make money without having any specific specialty, it will continue to attract Nigerians from all over and this will in turn cause more problems for the already inadequate infastructure. The only solution I can see is to build more cities like Eko Atlantic and run them properly. This will help decrease pressures in the old towns and cities of Lagos.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Stealthy(m): 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2011
babapupa:

You really should be tired for yourself because of your inability to spot the differences and dynamics  between  The City Of Los Angeles and Lagos State.

#1. Los Angeles is a city, not a state like Lagos State.

#2. The population of the City of Los Angeles is 3 million and their budget is 7 billion dollars (A city, not a state)

#3The population of the State of Lagos is 18 million and the budget is only 2 billion dollars (A Real state)

#4. The infrastructure in Los Angeles is fully developed and most of their budget is not going towards capital projects, they are basically maintaining decades old infrastructure.

#5 The state of Lagos is starting from scratch with a huge chunk of the budget going towards capital projects.

Now, to deal with your misguided comment about toll roads in LA. Who really should be tolling roads? A rich and fully developed city with 7 billion dollars budget and just 3 million people or a non developed and poor state with a budget of 2 billion dollars and 18 million people?

There is little or no need for a fully developed and rich city like LA to toll roads, but there is more than enough need for the State Of Lagos to toll roads, Lagos is a poor state saddled with the ultimate responsibility of taking care of millions of folks from every corner of Nigeria in search of a better life and opportunity, the same better life and opportunity that the federal government is not providing. 

A whole lot of you people are too petty, shortsighted and unrealistic, you have little or no life experience to guide and help you think wisely and formulate good judgment.

I tip my hat to the Great State of Lagos for doing so much, looking after and taking care of 18 million people with chump change less than 3 years into Fashola's administration.

Lagos is a city-state - kinda similar to Singapore which is effectively a city, even though it's country. Next thing, you'll be telling me the Lekki "expressway" is an intercity road within the state of Lagos, abi? Anyways, for comparison, Lagos can be compared to the LA county, which consists of different cities. The point is that there are no tolls when driving from LA to Pasadena/Glendale/Pomona, etc.

[color=#550000]You referenced USA so much, implying that tolls are commonplace in USA. My point is that you are gave misleading info and that tolls are indeed rare in USA, especially within cities. Is this true or false?[/color]

#4. The infrastructure in Los Angeles is fully developed and most of their budget is not going towards capital projects, they are basically maintaining decades old infrastructure./quote]

Are you not the same guy who has been using the presence of tolls in USA to justify tolls in Lagos? Now you say both shouldn't be compared since USA is essentially developed! Ok then, let's compare Nigeria to countries that are just building new infrastructure: China, India, UAE, etc. Pls give us a comparable example to the Lekki situation in these countries, ie putting 3 tolls on a 25km road within a city.

#5 The state of Lagos is starting from scratch with a huge chunk of the budget going towards capital projects./quote]

Really? Lagos has been collecting it's fair share of the ECA, which has been depleted to $3m (see my earlier post on this). The truth is that none of us knows exactly how much money any state government in Nigeria actually receives in total. The books are not publicly audited and the $2bn you keep throwing about here is just the official budget figure published. no inclusion of the ECA allocations and other incomes.

[quote]A whole lot of you people are too petty, shortsighted and unrealistic, you have little or no life experience to guide and help you think wisely and formulate good judgment.

Read your post again. I made my point, yet you start to throw words at me. Which of us sounds petty? I don't engage in online arguments/insults as you can tell from my previous posts, so cool it abeg.
As for saying people don't have real life experience, the truth is you simply don't know. Don't underestimate others simply because you don't agree with their position on an issue. I won't tell tell you what I do or the annual budget I control, cos I'm not the boasting type. Besides, you prob wont believe anyway.

Pls let's respect each other. I've not thrown words at you, don't throw 'em at me.
[/quote]
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2011
You referenced USA so much, implying that tolls are commonplace in USA. My point is that you are gave misleading info and that tolls are indeed rare in USA, especially within cities. Is this true or false

hellooo.

tolls are commonplace/not rare in the US especially around the coastal regions.

can we stop running around the mulberry bush.

anyone who says there are few tolls in america must be living in a remote or midwesternly area. Or never goes beyond a 10 mile radius of his apartment.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 11:17pm On Jan 05, 2011
Stealthy:

Lagos is a city-state - kinda similar to Singapore which is effectively a city, even though it's country. Next thing, you'll be telling me the Lekki "expressway" is an intercity road within the state of Lagos, abi? Anyways, for comparison, Lagos can be compared to the LA county, which consists of different cities. The point is that there are no tolls when driving from LA to Pasadena/Glendale/Pomona, etc.

[color=#550000]You referenced USA so much, implying that tolls are commonplace in USA. My point is that you are gave misleading info and that tolls are indeed rare in USA, especially within cities. Is this true or false?[/color]

Read your post again. I made my point, yet you start to throw words at me. Which of us sounds petty? I don't engage in online arguments/insults as you can tell from my previous posts, so cool it abeg.
As for saying people don't have real life experience, the truth is you simply don't know. Don't underestimate others simply because you don't agree with their position on an issue. I won't tell tell you what I do or the annual budget I control, cos I'm not the boasting type. Besides, you prob wont believe anyway.

Pls let's respect each other. I've not thrown words at you, don't throw 'em at me.

Please, keep that ridiculous assertion to yourself, Lagos state is not only a state, it's a state by statutory constitution. What's next? Lagos state is a village?

About federal allocations and state budget, it doesn't matter what absurd or unsubstantiated innuendo you roll with, the state's budget is 2 billion dollars and it only collects 168 billion Naira/$1.1 billion in taxes/Year and the rest is what ever borrowings and federal allocation they pull together.

You didn't see any toll road in LA because the 10 and 110 freeways that you took to Pasadena was built decades ago when the state was not running deficits  and like I explained before, LA is a fully developed city. Unfortunately for the city of LA and many other cities in America, they are all broke just like Lagos State and the only option in terms of raising money to fend off deficits and upgrade infrastructure is to toll or sell public properties like roads and bridges and utilities, these are today's realities.

LA is practically broke @ 480 million dollars budget deficits. The state is laying off state workers and and cutting off social services, unemployment is 16% which means dwindling tax base. I see the state selling off public properties and tolling like other cash strapped cities very soon. LA can not build another freeway or bridged without tolling or packing up shop.

You really can't tell me ish about LA/California because I'm a Californian and an Angeleno.

What you failed to comprehend about my comments regarding tolling in America is the fact that states and cities sell and toll because of budget shortfalls and dwindling resources and the state of Lagos falls under this category. Lagos state is a poor state.

It's was more than fair to comment about your life experience because of your thoughtless and unreasonable utterances. Our life experience shapes our views, comments and understanding. It's absolutely insane and ignorant to site the state of Lagos as a rich or well to do state without analyzing the states population, societal and communal needs, decayed and non existing infrastructure, UN  quality of life standards from food and nutrition to accommodation, transportation and public safety. The state is practically starting from scratch with chump change.

Btw, I referenced USA because one of you said something about democracy,, like saying Lagos state is undemocratic and I shot back by saying even the USA aka fountain of democracy toll roads. Please make your point and quit grasping at straws.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by verbena: 9:59am On Jan 11, 2011
Foolish people, " my people perish for lack of wisdom" they were talking bout u. This is the only way in nigeria we can have good roads and if this money was not invested it would take u 5 hours from ajah to VI on a sunday afternoon. If u dont wanna pay follow another route now or better still park your car and take bus. since your one of the people that want change but dont realise that change comes at a cost. Do you know the amount of taxes British people pay for their way of life im sure percentage wise its 10 times what you paid last year but u wanna live like them for free. If your against the toll gate go and live in mushin , no toll gate there .
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by daruche(m): 12:40pm On Jan 20, 2011
SUSPENSION IS NOT CANCELLATION! Pls pass this message on BB and sms. We need to raise 1 Million Voices & Cries to Fashola by calling this number below and for help to put a stop to exploitation on the Lekki toll Gate. 3 Toll Gates on 49km road at N150 each? They want to increase inflation and if they succeed, they might do the same in other parts of Lagos. The power of many can change things.Call Fashola on 099990921 and cry for help,

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Sued Over War Threat / Reps Take Over Kogi House Of Assembly - / Nnaji's Power Plant Opens For Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.