Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,102 members, 7,957,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:22 AM

Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection (15770 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by hollars(m): 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
the toll would def come after the elections and at that time, u guyz must have joyfully voted Fashola back into power. as much as i want him back, i think this tolling is a bad idea without an alternate road. A tolled road should be a good road with high benefits and maintenance like ever smooth, good, reliable and short while less attention would be paid to the alternate route but still, no tax-cutting government should force people to pay ridiculous toll for a smiple road in the name of concession. I dont live in Lekki but it's not RIGHT.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by naylove(m): 12:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
dump dumb move. adding an addtional lane(s) does not give you the right to collect toll there.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by otukpo(f): 12:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
The people along that axis should fight that toll gate with whatever means they can.

How can govt resurface an existing road, the only route to that area and want to collect toll.
That should not be accepted. And these road users pay tax? too bad for lagos state.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by proudly9ja(m): 12:44pm On Dec 30, 2010
Lagosians should not be fooled by this move. They are only delaying because of the coming elections. I respect Fashola and his 'achievements' in Lagos but his godfathers are making things difficult for Lagosians. Everyone knows the ABC and now LCC schemes of taking money from Lagos state treasury.

If at all tolls must be collected on that road, they MUST provide alternatives FIRST and if this is not done, it shouldn't be allowed. That's my take
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by hollars(m): 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2010
GAR3TH:

You mean that glorified dual carriage road that was there before. Isn't the lagos-benin road also a dual carriage highway, but look at its condition. The expressway's construction is an overhaul, and not a repair job.

---
Fact is, if you cant afford the tolls, I wonder how you were able to buy a car.

bolded above shows you need to get some rest, the fact that i bought a car doesn't mean i should spend money stupidly. i pay my tax and i need to know what my tax is used for if not for roads, whers is the water, where is the electricity?? so tell me why should i be tolled on a road without an alternative route?
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by grandstar(m): 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2010
The chinese built  a large and solid network of roads using tolls.

For developing countries where resources are scarce and they have competiting uses, tolls may be the best especially where the road in questions will be the types expensive to build and more importantly maintain. We all seem to have forgotten the maintenance aspect.

Other road such as the Shagamu to Benin roads and elsewhere should be privatized since government as admitted they can't maintain it. The cost involved are collosal. Even if they can handle the cost, corruption will make mincemeat of it.

Tolling is best. If what we get is first class roads that are well maintained, what we lose in direct payments we save in wear and tear and our cars, body counts and productivity in business for all involved.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by hollars(m): 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
grandstar:

The chinese built a large and solid network of roads using tolls.

For developing countries where resources are scarce and they have competiting uses, tolls may be the best especially where the road in questions will be the types expensive to build and more importantly maintain. We all seem to have forgotten the maintenance aspect.

Other road such as the Shagamu to Benin roads and elsewhere should be privatized since government as admitted they can't maintain it. The cost involved are collosal. Even if they can handle the cost, corruption will make mincemeat of it.

Tolling is best. If what we get is first class roads that are well maintained, what we lose in direct payments we save in wear and tear and our cars, body counts and productivity in business for all involved.

im sure the cost of erecting those toll stations can build an alternative route even if its just 2 lanes each, im not against tolling but there should be provision for an alternate route, longer and rugged, whatever! just provide an alternate route and don't make life difficult for people. it doesnt harm them in any way. the point is, you should not compell everyone to use a particular road because u want to make so much money from a stupid concession,
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by badmussy(m): 1:13pm On Dec 30, 2010
Nobody really wants go get benefit for free, however, when you look at certain peculiarity in Nigeria, it becomes understandable why we do not want Tolls.
1. 25% of my income is taken aback for tax
2. My Children are either in Private Creches, Nursery, Primary, Secondary or University. I spend so much on fees.
3. I run my Generator abt 18hrs/day costing me about 10% of my Monthly income.
4. I have never used govt water in my life either
eku_bear:

No joke. I want this project to succeed so it can be replicated elsewhere in the SW. I'd be happy if the 3 or 4 hour drive from my village in Ekiti to Lagos were cut to 1 hour with a tolled expressway.

Imagine how beneficial that would be for both Lagos (cheaper farm goods) and Ekiti (cheaper goods from seaports.) And that is just two benefits, there are tons of others.
drinking or other uses. CWAY costs 300. I use 5 per week. Abt 6k per month.
5. You know all about the hospitals. Doctors just came back from Strike.
6. My total monthly telecommunication payment is about 11k.
7. Monthly rent in Lagos is about 23% of your monthly income
Etc.

NB: In Nigeria, as it is, we pay heftily for every service rendered. Tolling an uncompleted road is just an overkill.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Dodger8(m): 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2010
eku_bear:

Tolls are not only for bridges. We have the Sam Houston tollway in Houston, for example.

No difference in raising taxes and just directly raising money through tolls.

120 is not even a buck. GSay two trips a day, 25 trips a month, that is 50*120 = 6000 naira, $40 only. eTag knocks off 10%, dropping to $36. Factor in gas savings, the value of his time (shorter commute >> longer commute), etc, and the net cost might be more like $15 or $20.

And if he is too cheap to pay for this, then he has the option of taking public transportation, or taking a longer route. Or selling his property and moving back east, if he so desires  grin

Well Mr Genius did it occur to you that a lot of Lagosians earn less than $7.50 a day which is the minimum hourly wage in Texas? Your talking about less than a buck a day are you serious? Or are you that out of touch with reality, Are there not alternative routes to get to your location than getting on the Beltway/Sam Houston Tollway? Please tell me the alternative route to get to Lekki?And just so its clear im all for the toll just not at this exorbitant rates and only after the road is completed,
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by HARDDICK(m): 1:19pm On Dec 30, 2010
Can someone send in the picture of this Road that is making this wave here
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by coolpapa: 1:22pm On Dec 30, 2010
[b]No joke. I want this project to succeed so it can be replicated elsewhere in the SW. I'd be happy if the 3 or 4 hour drive from my village in Ekiti to Lagos were cut to 1 hour with a tolled expressway.

Imagine how beneficial that would be for both Lagos (cheaper farm goods) and Ekiti (cheaper goods from seaports.) And that is just two benefits, there are tons of others.
[/b]

You sounds frustrated, why? how are my sure you are not the one contracted for the toll collection. That serves you right. and this time you better use you brain rather than from your ass. i doubt if you actually own a car or else you should have know that there are more to do with money as a car owner rather than wasting money out of extortion

we are all aware of the system in Nigeria, Nigeria as a nation lacks maintenance culture. i am very sure that not even a kobo realized from the toll collection (if effective) will be used for the same road maintenance when the time comes. meanwhile, i will prove it to you that most Nigerians are upto date with their direct and indirect tax. even the car owners pays more (in the name of MOT and what have you) which should be used for the maintenance of the roads but reverse is the case. Fashola has taken the right step at the right direction and i like that word "indefinite suspention"
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2010
n120 is too high, imho, n30-50 is more reasonable.

hope it not that naija i must to recoup my profits in 2 years going on here

nigerians need to also make up their minds what they want.

the simple fact is the government cannot do it all.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by anonimi: 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by bigfat: 1:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
kool
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Evans5050: 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2010
IS HE SUSPENDING THE TOLL COLLECTION TILL AFTER ELECTION?
LET CALL A SPADE A SPADE[/b].
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by nvo5(f): 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
we want the best work(roads, water,power) or services but we don't want to
pay the best fair for service rendered. that is why nothing
is working in Nigeria,because we want the government to do everything for free.

there is an alternative route, but its still under construction
Fashola meant well, we pay toll to police everyday on roadblocks
yet we don't complain, I traveled with some of my friend who are not
Nigeria and they counted 187 cheek-point from Lagos to warri.  I respect
governor Fashola for the standard He has set in lagos state
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by ahf(m): 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
Governor's action is welcome. Suspend toll's and address the issues. The mistake was using the old road, they should have constructed a new road.

No issue with toll roads, as long as an alternative exist.
They have a lot of them in the USA (e.g. Houston). You might never have to use any if you don't drive during rush hour.

There will obviously be financial repercussions for the state because this is a signed agreement. Hopefully this would not have a negative impact on private sector partnerships.

Those who think government will provide all infrastructure alone without private involvement are joking. The key thing is to factor in the common man.

This is not an ACN vs PDP issue. Inputs or suggestions should address the matter at hand, hopefully someone's suggestion might be the correct solution and it could get to the governor's ears. You never know  grin

Lagos State Government is composed of a lot of young and dynamic men and women, they got this wrong from inception, they can fix it, learn from it and move on.
It's positive to be learning such from a road project and not a new Governor's House grin.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Mariory(m): 2:53pm On Dec 30, 2010
HARDDICK:

Can someone send in the picture of this Road that is making this wave here

[flash=600,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf6Pl8unvtE[/flash]

[flash=600,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MREVH7Y10[/flash]
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by ahf(m): 2:57pm On Dec 30, 2010
Another Governor that deserves commendation.

Rotimi Ameachi - a man of plenty wise words. His interviews are a joy to watch. He speaks it as it is.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Kx: 3:01pm On Dec 30, 2010
LCC can construct  6 new lanes on the atlantic ocean and toll N500 toll fees.
If that happens nobody will cry out.

But if they pour sand, cement and resurface the bad portions of the already existing lekki ajah epe expressway
and charge N200 toll fare. Thats the height of wicknedness.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by kulutempa: 3:25pm On Dec 30, 2010
Fashola may gain short term political capital from this move but the long term damage will be incalculable. It is decisions such as this that make foreigner investors avoid Nigeria as a risky investment destination. The whole thing should have been well thought out before the concession agreement was signed and it is rather unfair on the investors who have borrowed billions for the project and were led to believe that they would make a good return on their investment. I just hope the powers that be can see the bigger picture but somehow I doubt it.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by pkasso(m): 3:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
kulutempa:

Fashola may gain short term political capital from this move but the long term damage will be incalculable. It is decisions such as this that make foreigner investors avoid Nigeria as a risky investment destination. The whole thing should have been well thought out before the concession agreement was signed and it is rather unfair on the investors who have borrowed billions for the project and were led to believe that they would make a good return on their investment. I just hope the powers that be can see the bigger picture but somehow I doubt it.
TRUE
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by KnowAll(m): 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^
who are d foreign investors abeg leave dat one, d only investors are Fashola & his cronies, we are not born yesterday.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by texazzpete(m): 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
nvo5:

we want the best work(roads, water,power) or services but we don't want to
pay the best fair for service rendered. that is why nothing
is working in Nigeria,because we want the government to do everything for free.

there is an alternative route, but its still under construction
Fashola meant well, we pay toll to police everyday on roadblocks
yet we don't complain, I traveled with some of my friend who are not
Nigeria and they counted 187 cheek-point from Lagos to warri.  I respect
governor Fashola for the standard He has set in lagos state    

I pay more than 2.5 million a year in taxes. I account for over 70% of the electricity I consume (two generators and one inverter).  The water I drink is from a private borehole. What the heck are you talking about, is the Government doing anything for me for free?
If you bribe Police, that's your business. My papers are complete. Why are yours not complete? I pay no kobo to Police when I drive.

Look, we get it. You're probably a housewife who pays no taxes and thus has no idea about what people pay. When I tally up my accounts and see millions heading to the Government coffers, damn right I feel entitled to good roads.

Lest I forget, your analogy of bribing Police when driving from Lagos to Warri is just retarded. People pass through those tolls on a daily basis, shebi you know?
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by texazzpete(m): 3:46pm On Dec 30, 2010
kulutempa:

It's unfair on the people. Lots of people bitterly resent those tollgates. What picture can be bigger than this?
This is not about 'Political capital'. It's about listening to your people.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by ahf(m): 3:54pm On Dec 30, 2010
A couple of wrong assessments went into this project.

Effect -
Toll Suspension = LCC defaulting on loans = bank/lender becoming distressed = possible bank employees & LCC workers unemployment = possible liquidation of bank = loss of share value = loss of people's investments.

Decisions have far effects than we see it at times.

The government should have done a better homework at the inception of this project, now they have their work cut out for them to find an amicable solution and avoid some of these effects.

The learning from this is that future road concessions should ensure alternative roads already exist on ground.

A toll road is supposed to be an alternative and not the only access road.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Logba: 3:55pm On Dec 30, 2010
The toll suspension is as a result of the coming elections. Fashola administration does not understand what ordinary people feels in Lagos. This suspension is as a result of the the signal they got in Ikorodu after losing to PDP. Lagos government wants to embark on good projects without spending money. Just like a father who wants his son to have harvard education without paying a dime. That is why Lagos state government displaced residents along Orile -Badagry without  readiness to pay compensation and i understand that another one to Ikorodu which will pierce through Isheri and Magodo estates to some villages along that axis is on the way. Another massive displacement is on the way along this route and people who reside in these areas should be prepared.
Do not get me wrong because I am not against the projects of bringing development to the people and  I know road construction/maintenance will reduce the suffering of lagosian in traffic and accelerate development along the routes. My argument however is that if these lordable projects are to be embarked upon,it should not be designed to create another big problem of displacing people without compensation.
I am happy that 2011 elections is by the corner, we will see surprises in Lagos because the majority of the electorates who vote  during elections are  very bitter. Demolisions in some part of Lagos has stopped now because of the coming elections and would start as soon as Fashola is elected for the second term. If the demolissions are justifiable why stop now to continue later.  We shall all see, sooner or later.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by ahf(m): 4:24pm On Dec 30, 2010
The demolitions have surely affected a lot of people.

A family friend lost the frontal part of his property because the survey revealed his fence actually encroached on the road.

Another problem is that a lot of people do not perfect their title documents. I have a cousin who is currently building on land classified as "Govt Acquisition" based on the guarantee that he got from Alausa tip-offs that the land would be released. If that doesn't happen, he might be wasting his funds, the day demolition comes, he would cry foul and blame AC.

I dont expect that the government would demolish a structure with valid documents (C of O and building approval) without compesation. Please correct me if I am wrong shocked

By the way, what evidence do we have of a potential PDP candidate doing better? What is the pedigree and track record of the PDP contestants for Lagos Governor position?

As a party, PDP is the worst thing in this country, a bunch of thugs and big wigs sucking the country dry.

The only credible PDP politician I know is Donald Duke, at least he made an effort to put his state on the map.

Iyiola Omisore and Co are what PDP really is about !!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Jomogbomo4: 4:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
Toll Suspension = LCC defaulting on loans = bank/lender becoming distressed = possible bank employees & LCC workers unemployment = possible liquidation of bank = loss of share value = loss of people's investments.

You obviously omitted the role of insurance in your assessment!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tunde300us(m): 4:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
There is noting anyone will do in this world where he will get 100% of the peoples support,even if the road is not tolled some ppl will stll come here and say it is too tiny,some will even say it is too wild in some areas why not use the money to build another road.
As much as i dont support the collection of toll on that road i just think some ppl on NL re just here to make a bad image for the man and get cheap political medal,especially PDP ppl whose only slogan and manifesto in lagos is that fashola hasnt done well and so it is PDP that has done well.

If u think in ur heart of heart that fashola hasnt done well in lagos please vote in someone else who will build such roads and not have it tolled,but pls avoid this PDP thugs,the soul of lagos state is too weak to be kept with those thugs and no good politicians.

On another tut,how did u get a house in lekki,buy a car when ure nt an elite cos me i no understand oh,even if dem dash me land for that place i wont take cos the amount of moni needed to do refilling alone is enuf to build a 3 storey building in my dear surulere,so why are ppl worried for this few lagosians who obviously live like kings before sef,infact they shld tax dem for breathing air sef.

If u live in the villages inside lekki am sure the scene of riches and waste u see everyday is enuf to make u leave that area cos obviously it aint for u,and if u insist on staying,then no issh now u go enter danfo and u wont be the one to pay the toll or u dont know that they pay that much at CMS bus stop anytime they pick passengers.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by debosky(m): 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2010
Collecting tolls before the road is completed is criminal - they haven't done enough work on the road to merit toll collection and this is a very welcome decision.

To those scaremongering about how this is driving investment away, it won't - it shows that the investors must have a better business plan than doesn't include attempting to milk Lagosians before carrying out scheduled work.

If the lack of toll collection causes LCC to default on loans, then they had a very poor business/cashflow plan to begin with.

Fashola has taken the right decision by not bulldozing his way on this decision. It is reprehensible that people start paying for a service they have not started receiving.

When the road is completed (or a sizeable portion thereof) people will accept the cost of paying a toll, but not on a road that has been worsened in the short term.

Whether it was aimed at gaining political favour or not, it is the right decision to make.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by montelik(m): 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2010
texazzpete:

I pay more than 2.5 million a year in taxes. I account for over 70% of the electricity I consume (two generators and one inverter).  The water I drink is from a private borehole. What the heck are you talking about, is the Government doing anything for me for free?
If you bribe Police, that's your business. My papers are complete. Why are yours not complete? I pay no kobo to Police when I drive.

Look, we get it. You're probably a housewife who pays no taxes and thus has no idea about what people pay. When I tally up my accounts and see millions heading to the Government coffers, damn right I feel entitled to good roads.

Lest I forget, your analogy of bribing Police when driving from Lagos to Warri is just not-so-smart. People pass through those tolls on a daily basis, shebi you know?

Thank you my brother. Whenever people point out that good things cost money and the Lagos state government needs money. I always tell them that if they don't pay taxes, I do and I know how much goes into their coffers. Yet they (local and state governments) can't show what the vast amounts many people are paying to them is being used for. Yet like Oliver Twist, they continue to ask for more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Exercise Crocodile Smile Offers Free Medical Outreach To Bayelsans / Benue PDP Bury Members Who Died In Accident While Going 2 Campaign Rally / Police Debunk Arrest Of Suspect With Prepared Election Result In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.