Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

The Business Of The Apocalypse—a Coronavirus Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Business Of The Apocalypse—a Coronavirus Story (351 Views)

What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books / The Business Of Pleasure / Zombie World (a Nigerian Zombie Apocalypse Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Business Of The Apocalypse—a Coronavirus Story by Sommypan(m): 3:51am On Apr 01, 2020
I sat in my underground office, reading the now-trending post on Twitter. A pleasant smile tugged at the corners of my lips; I had to give it to the person: he was right about majority of the things he said, but he was also wildly off the mark about the most important aspect—the reason for the outbreak.

My phone buzzed, I looked at the screen and it was the Chinese President. He was probably calling because of the same post I was reading. I allowed the buzzing to continue, and at the last moment, picked the call.

"Mr. President," I said, transferring the call to the speaker on my desk.

"Hello, Mr. X," he began, "I gather that there's a rather disturbing news making the waves on the Internet."

"By 'disturbing news' you mean the post I am currently reading on Twitter?"

"Yes, I believe it's the same one. We have to find a way to quell the spreading of the information. I do not want the US and the UN to—"

I cut him off. "Do not worry yourself, Mr. President. I have the situation under control. I beg you to trust me."

"But—"

"Have I failed to fulfill the promises I made to you and the Circle of Six?" I asked, anger creeping into my voice.

"No, of course not," he replied. He clicked off instantly, probably mortified by my tone. He was the weakest person in the Six, yet his role was one of the most vital, that was why I kept up with his constant fear. But soon he would be removed, permanently.

I sighed, closed my laptop and reclined on the chair. Without meaning to, I went back to six years ago, to the remote city of Wuhan, where it all started.

[center]********************[/center]

26th November, 2014,

I looked around the table, at the five other people—three men and two women—seated with their gazes fixed on me. I almost felt like God because should these people agree to become part of my team, I would be the most powerful man alive.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you've all been called here because each of you has the opportunity to rule the world with me. I specially chose you because of the positions you hold in your various fields. More importantly, I chose you because of your hate for the godless country, America.

"I have a plan, one that would cripple the US and the rest of the West. But I cannot do it alone. That is where you come in."

I glanced around again, taking my time to look each person in the eyes, establishing a sense of importance in them. They were all expectant, all eager to be part of the future.

"Mr. President," I continued, addressing the Chinese President, "your country has the largest population on the planet. That offers us one major advantage—invisibility. We will be needing your help with a major biotech research, which when successfully completed, will bring the West begging for mercy, and huge profits to our individual pockets.

"Miss McCain, your biolab in Wuhan has been chosen to be the birthplace of our instrument of domination.

Read more ➡️
https://www.thezenpens.com/2020/04/01/the-business-of-the-apocalypse/

(1) (Reply)

The Drum By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / A Weird Encounter With Normal Science ( A Short Story) / The Tale Of Six Towns And The Palace Guards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.