Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,020 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books (315 Views)

The Business Of Pleasure / Somewhere in Nigeria: The hidden secret by ¤¤¤¤¤¤ Johnson. / A Date With FATE (A Comic Drama Series On Love And Destiny) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by Hala(m): 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2023
Recently, I was looking for where to get comic books. I cannot explain my craving for it lately but I could not get it at any store close to me. Unfortunately, I am not in Lagos but I fear that may be the case there too.

Judging from our childhood, we never loved reading but we loved comic books. So I doubt it is the poor reading culture in Nigeria that led to the sudden demise. I see a lot of business opportunities in it. I believe a lot of stories can be represented in comics to tell the story to our children and prepare them for the future. I remember we feasted on comic books but my best Nigerian comic book was Binta.

So, it makes sense to ask, what made comic books disappear in Nigeria?
Re: What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by TemplarLandry: 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2023
😁
Re: What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by tommy589(m): 5:32pm On Aug 22, 2023
Hala:
Recently, I was looking for where to get comic books. I cannot explain my craving for it lately but I could not get it at any store close to me. Unfortunately, I am not in Lagos but I fear that may be the case there too.

Judging from our childhood, we never loved reading but we loved comic books. So I doubt it is the poor reading culture in Nigeria that led to the sudden demise. I see a lot of business opportunities in it. I believe a lot of stories can be represented in comics to tell the story to our children and prepare them for the future. I remember we feasted on comic books but my best Nigerian comic book was Binta.

So, it makes sense to ask, what made comic books disappear in Nigeria?

With dollar to naira rate, how many kids can afford comics? As kids we only need to walk to neighborhood bookstores to pick from
Re: What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by Hala(m): 3:50am On Aug 23, 2023
That is the business opportunity I was talking about. Can we not develop it again. Deeperlife Mirror is still a comic book and goes for free. I think the problem is possibly with content development.

2 Likes

Re: What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by WriterX(m): 2:07am On Aug 24, 2023
Hala:
That is the business opportunity I was talking about. Can we not develop it again. Deeperlife Mirror is still a comic book and goes for free. I think the problem is possibly with content development.

I am a comic script writer, I have written a few over the past decades, developed some stories and characters too.

There are a lot of challenges faced by the Africa comic industry at large but I can tell you the potential are there, I am currently still holding out on starting something on my own some day, I see the potential, I sees market , I see ideas and plans that would work and turn this into a success.
Re: What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by Hala(m): 7:05pm On Aug 24, 2023
@WriterX, let us connect to discuss further. Reach out to me on whatsapp 08039389161.

1 Like

Re: What Made Comic Books Disappear In Nigeria? The Business Of Comic Books by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09am On Dec 02, 2023
Hala:

Such as these ones.

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Miss This Friday’s Twitter Chat With Amaka Azie / Exceptional / A Thousand Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.