Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today (30863 Views)

Ebenezer Obey's Son, Olayinka, Is Dead / Idowu Philips 'Mama Rainbow' Celebrates 78th Birthday With Stunning Pictures / Victor Olaiya: 2face, KWAM1, Ebenezer Obey And Other Stars Pay Tributes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by omotowo2: 12:08pm On Apr 03, 2020
HantaVirus:
Ebenezer obey sings better than Sunny Ade.

Happy birthday Sir.

When it comes to dance steps and beats to dance to, give it to Sunny omo Alade Ooo

Sunny Ade is the koko

1 Like

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by MusicSots: 12:13pm On Apr 03, 2020
HantaVirus:
Ebenezer obey sings better than Sunny Ade.

Happy birthday Sir.

Obey is the better singer while Sunny is the better showman. They were both lions in the game.
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by alfredilly: 12:27pm On Apr 03, 2020
MusicSots:

Obey is the better singer while Sunny is the better showman. They were both lions in the game.

Sunny Ade did not attain his fame by chance. Though Obey got to the scene a bit ahead of him, he came and took the juju music to higher bear and rythm. That was what endeared him to the listeners then. The incorporation of faster beat to Juju music was later adopted by contemporary singer like Shina Peter who dubbed his music Afro Juju. He nearly retired the elders in the industry. So massive was his followership that, no other song were played in parties and social gathering in the early 90s.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by nnaeyes6: 12:32pm On Apr 03, 2020
alfredilly:

Stop rubbish. Sunny Ade and obey are contemporaries, singing almost the same style but sunny incorporate more instrumental to his song. He is a master guitarist and music critics see his song as more rich in note and dynamic. The first Nigerian to be nominated for Grammy. No be beans.

He makes noise.
How transformer!

1 Like

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by joepepsy(m): 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2020
Me jamming ota mi dehin lehin mi...Ebenezer obey.
lalasticlala:
Ebenezer Obey Turns 78 Today

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Obey

Throwback photo of Ebenezer Obey with his late wife who died at 66

1 Like

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by ISRAELITE19(m): 12:51pm On Apr 03, 2020
Respect one and only one......long life and prosperity. God bless your new age.

1 Like

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by megapriest(m): 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2020
Happy Birthday to you BABA LEGEND

I was expecting a Thread for us , (elders) to drop our favorite Obey Song. I can't just forget songs as.

I. Board Members
2.Eto Igbeyawo
3.Iba Lo ye Ka Se
4.Odun Owo
5.Oro kan ni mo fe bi yin eyin eniyan...
6.Won ni Kobo sami Lojo si
7.Precious Gift.
etc

Add your own if you're Obey Fan

3 Likes

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Ijawwomaninoyo: 1:18pm On Apr 03, 2020
The great story teller, he is the originator of this story but used father and son.

2 Likes

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by alfredilly: 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2020
nnaeyes6:

He makes noise.
How transformer!

Sunny Ade has many cool song even before switching the high pitch instrumentalities.

Iwaju lo lo ko yi nwami lo,
Eyin Sha lo lo ko yi nwami lo
Mio mo, mio mo ye o, mi o mo.

Or songs likes,
Aye le ma saka, fi won sile, let them say.
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Wizdre: 2:06pm On Apr 03, 2020
You are the best sir. Happy birthday � sir. Many happy returns in Jesus name �
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Oshokalo: 2:24pm On Apr 03, 2020
StrikeBack:
Happy birthday to you baba

You over all this indomie generation artists
Wetin dis one dey talk, music is revolutionary it changes, everybody go dey follow one pattern? By the way was their song recognize internationally ,if it's all about them why are they not getting all the endorsements
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by StrikeBack(m): 2:28pm On Apr 03, 2020
Oshokalo:

Wetin dis one dey talk, music is revolutionary it changes, everybody go dey follow one pattern? By the way was their song recognize internationally ,if it's all about them why are they not getting all the endorsements
my personal opinion
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by kareemkamil(m): 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2020
HBD to my greatest brainllant juju legend
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by nnaeyes6: 3:23pm On Apr 03, 2020
Eko Onibaje
alfredilly:

Sunny Ade has many cool song even before switching the high pitch instrumentalities.

Iwaju lo lo ko yi nwami lo,
Eyin Sha lo lo ko yi nwami lo
Mio mo, mio mo ye o, mi o mo.

Or songs likes,
Aye le ma saka, fi won sile, let them say.
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by vicfajeze: 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2020
Better than Osadebe times ten
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Nifemi2512(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03, 2020
*E je ka miliki, ka miliki Kaa si ma'a jo*

Happy birthday Sir,
You na Legend Sir!!!
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Legendguru: 5:47pm On Apr 03, 2020
Oh
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by buragidi(m): 5:48pm On Apr 03, 2020
Why una dey lie with straight face like this?

Obey never beleive his music led people astray. I will search for a link to an interview he granted where he spoke about his music and spiritual journey.

Indeed, he claimed he has been born again decades before he started church. He was ordained by Idahosa while still playing music. If you listen to his music, you will realise that despite been juju music, it was more of gospel.

Obey did not retire from playing music per say. He actually reduced his musical activities due to age and to enable him concentrate on his church-DeCross. The church is in Lagos.

Obey still plays music, making special appearances. Check the YouTube, you will see a whole lot of his recent live play.

Obey did not relocate to America. He is in Nigeria

Jaspernubi:
What most people did not know about Ebeneezer Obey is, he was supposed to be a Preacher of the Gospel, he carried this burden for so long and was feeling a sense of disappointment even with his many songs and his fame in music,
At a a particular point he visited One notable Pastor in Lagos and discussed his burden,
There was a time, he even threatened to destroy all his Album, feeling that these music has led a lot of people astray from God

One of the result of this burden was that he build a church somewhere in Lagos just to palliate the burning desire to answer God's call
I dont think a lot of people know he has a church
He retired from Music so early because he could not carry the guilt of the music which he consider ungodly
Ebeneezer Obey retires to live a quiet life with his family in the United State
A great man, a man of honor and deep insight into Life

1 Like

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by segunoluomoofte(m): 5:50pm On Apr 03, 2020
Nuff respect to you sir you are very much appreciated
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Deyemz(f): 6:03pm On Apr 03, 2020
Hbd
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by kollog: 6:38pm On Apr 03, 2020
His Music is full of Wisdom. the likes of "Ogbon Loruko ree, ko lowo, kosi bimo" "Baba, Omo ati ketekete" "Odun Owo ti mofe she, baba mii eyin le malulu"

His music inculcate wisdom into us not like ds generation that prefers listening to rubbish.
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by ib0221: 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2020
lalasticlala:
Ebenezer Obey Turns 78 Today

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Obey

Throwback photo of Ebenezer Obey with his late wife who died at 66
@ op, while appreciating your felicitation please note that Owu is not egba and not a subgroup of egba. Owu is a Yoruba subgroup and are spread to not less than 5 states in Nigeria.
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by armyofone(m): 9:48pm On Apr 03, 2020
Mo ti ba Oluwa se eleri
Mo ti ba Oluwa pinu
Aiye yi ti mo wa se ma je se danu
Aiye yi ti mo wa se ma je se yi
Mo ti ba Oluwa pinu.

kollog:
His Music is full of Wisdom. the likes of "Ogbon Loruko ree, ko lowo, kosi bimo" "Baba, Omo ati ketekete" "Odun Owo ti mofe she, baba mii eyin le malulu"

His music inculcate wisdom into us not like ds generation that prefers listening to rubbish.
Obey sang it right ?
Anyone with idea of the full song ?
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by faebenezer5star: 7:51am On Apr 04, 2020
My name sake happy birthday,more life and good health to you.
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Gilbertman(m): 1:58pm On Apr 04, 2020
southniyikaye:
abeg what's the title of that song or its album?

�L'a le ojo kan mo ngba tegun, mo ngba tegun l'eti okun o, ayyaya kileyi o, kileyi o ara'dugbo�
Mori sisi Kan ni buramo ni buramo Bariga, ni Bariga o NI KIN ka Lo, ara ara kileyi o kileyi o ara adugbo

The album title is Olomi gbo temi, the particular song is Paulina
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Gilbertman(m): 2:07pm On Apr 04, 2020
Maxim69:
The only regret from this great man is he may die without grooming anyone to his level of his lyrical sense. Every legend should be able to mentor younger generations to continue your work. No one ever fit into this shoe again. You have my respect always sir. May God keeps you for more years to come in good health. What a great musician the yoruba race will never going to have again!

Chief Ebenezer Obey has groomed many. Our KSA was once with him, and so many others. However, style and level are crafted uniquely, hence noone may actually be able to wear the exact size of his shoes. Not only him, all with any God assigned talent. Check out Uncle Gbenga Adeboye, Papa Fela, Alhaji Agba, Pa Adeolu Akinsanya, Baba aladura- IK Dairo, Alhaji Haruna Ishola, Alhjai Anigilaje etc, Just mention any of our long gone legends or even the living ones-- other may follow their footsteps or be able to copy-reproduce their songs, but o ma ma jora won ni, ko le je kan na!!

2 Likes

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 04, 2020
Gilbertman:

The album title is Olomi gbo temi, the particular song is Paulina
we are both wrong o bro, it is actually marina, just listened to it now
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Bola146(f): 3:40pm On Apr 04, 2020
Ishakam:
And guy's please if you are around IKEJA or ALLEN and got extra rice or beans or even garri abeg I can come collect it because hungry dey no be small. Please guy's if you can help me I would so appreciate this and this is my account 30718157 11. First Bank

Hello, did you see the alert yesterday?
Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Gilbertman(m): 3:44pm On Apr 04, 2020
southniyikaye:
we are both wrong o bro, it is actually marina, just listened to it now
Very correct...It's Marina.....lol..... Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ebenezer Obey Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 04, 2020
Bola146:

Hello, did you see the alert yesterday?
good evening. I hope you RE in good health

Please can I share my account details with you too
Sterling 0072053910

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mercy Johnson Celebrates 35th Birthday With Adorable Photos / Anto Lecky Poses In Bikini / MKO Abiola's Daughter's Wedding In Texas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.