Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics (82409 Views)

CBN To Reduce The Volume Of N500, N1000 In Circulation - Nairametrics / 5 Businesses You Can Start With N50,000 In 2019 / 10 Businesses That Can Make You Rich In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by tuzle(m): 5:10pm On Apr 06, 2020
FanRong:
Frankly speaking,
The worst thing to lack during this period in Nigeria is DATA and INTERNET.
dont forget light also
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by WaywardSon(m): 5:12pm On Apr 06, 2020
Yenefer:
Is it impossible to consider that they created and unleashed this virus on the world? Their, 'lack of transparency' seems naïve to me. The world economy is bust, and they're buying everything dirt cheap. Their end game, in my view, is they come out on top as world leaders. We've got to wake up.
you think? Message me on WhatsApp let's discuss
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Abujaexpress: 5:17pm On Apr 06, 2020
HyzExcellencee:
5 TYPES OF BUSINESSES THAT ARE THRIVING DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC by Chinedu Nnawetanma

The Coronavirus Pandemic has hit the world economy like a ton of bricks. Countless businesses across various industries have practically shutdown or are operating at fraction of their full capacity as a result of the restrictions on movement imposed by governments around the world to curtail the spread of the virulent COVID-19.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF), through its Managing Director, Kristalina Georgieva, on March 27 confirmed that the global economy has already slipped into a recession. Also, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) cut its GDP growth forecast for global economy for the year 2020 to 2.4%, the lowest rate since the 2008-2009 financial crisis. At the national levels, the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, France and Malaysia are just a few of the countries that are almost certainly headed for a recession.

However, not every business has been negatively impacted by the global pandemic. Businesses in certain industries are actually thriving amidst the COVID-19-induced economic downturn. Changing lifestyle and business patterns occasioned by the restrictions on movement in various parts of the world means that people are now forced to spend much of their time indoors and engage in indoor and online activities, albeit temporarily. This has opened up a window of opportunity for online-oriented businesses.

Below are 5 peculiar industries that are currently witnessing uncommon growth in a recession-hit global economy.

1. Healthcare: It goes without saying that this is a boom period for businesses in the healthcare industry and its value chain. A lot of medical products and services are in high demand, such as surgical masks, hand sanitizers, disinfectants, vitamins and supplements, home healthcare and medical supplies, with many healthcare companies struggling to meet demands. Though saving lives is paramount in times like this, that has not stopped healthcare companies from smiling to the bank.

2. Social Media: Social media consumption has risen sharply across the world since the onset of the coronavirus crisis. According to a survey by the London-based market research firm, Kantar, in 30 economies between March 14 and 24, instant messaging giant, WhatsApp, has seen a 40% increase in usage due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Similarly, social networking platform Facebook has witnessed a 37% bump in usage since the crisis began.

Thanks to the ubiquity of the digital media, people are now discovering and leveraging novel ways of staying in touch with friends, family and colleagues; keeping abreast of happenings within their locality and around the world; and combating boredom amidst the lockdown.

3. Telecommuting: Organizations, including businesses, government agencies and religious bodies, have been forced to modify the way they operate in order to simultaneously keep their employees safe and ensure that their operations do not grind to a halt during the pandemic. More people than ever before are now working remotely. This phenomenon has elevated telecommuting platforms once considered luxuries to bare essentials of the work setting.

While stock markets have crashed and sent shares of travel and logistics companies like Uber and Lyft plummeting, the valuations of telecommuting companies like the video calling app Zoom have skyrocketed. The estimated net worth of Zoom's founder, Eric Yuan, has increased by more than $4 billion since the start of the coronavirus crisis.

4. Gaming: The entertainment industry generally is among the worst-hit industries in the coronavirus crisis. Movie studios have suspended production, sporting events have been cancelled, cinemas are shut, advert revenues for TV companies have dried up and streaming services like Netflix are struggling to churn out new content that will keep their subscribers engaged.

But the surge in demand for home entertainment has particularly benefited one niche business in the entertainment industry: online video gaming. US telco, Verizon, revealed in a recent report that video gaming traffic on its internet network during peak hours has spiked by as much as 75% since the shutdown in the United States began, and similar figures have been reported by other sources across other gaming hubs around the world.

5. E-learning: For many, this lockdown is an opportunity for self-improvement. And they have seized it to develop their knowledge and expand their skill set by taking online courses in software development, cooking, makeup, fashion design, foreign languages and entrepreneurship, among others. Parents have also enrolled their children in online academic programs while waiting for schools to resume.

All in all, apart from businesses in the healthcare industry (for obvious reasons), the biggest winners – for the lack of a more somber term – here are online-based and online-oriented businesses. A key takeaway for entrepreneurs during this economic gloom and doom should be the need to embrace the digital economy.

by Chinedu Nnawetanma
IG & Twitter: @Chinedugn

https://nairametrics.com/2020/04/04/five-industries-that-thrive-in-covid-19-downturn/
Nice write up. For your Bitcoin investment, follow this to join one of world's best crypto company: https://clicxads.com/register.aspx?u=9708

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by uvie66: 5:23pm On Apr 06, 2020
FanRong:
Frankly speaking,
and NEPA,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2020
Number 5 is daamn true!

Ah been shoving up a whole lotta cash from Preply since the global lockdown

Lots and lots of online students

Hardly make below $200 per day now.

1 Like

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Faber(m): 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2020
Gaming is actually booming...pool biz still dey pay. Panel decides keeping the industry alive...

I swear pool is sweet now. E no dey pass 14 draws since week 36. If you know you know grin grin
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by MansoryMX(m): 5:26pm On Apr 06, 2020
Newsi:
This is very enlightening. It shows that there's hope even in the midst of gloom. We just have to be innovative.

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Meedon: 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2020
Xnxx .com

Continue

There is God
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Ikegod89(m): 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2020
join us

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Tribeofjudea: 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2020
Jesus is coming soon.repent for the time is near.heaven is real and hell is real.what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loose is soul in hell .Jesus love you and wants you to be with him in eternity.don't be deceived with the beauty of this word.heaven is more beautiful than you can imagine.

1 Like

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by SmartMen: 5:38pm On Apr 06, 2020
Greatzeus:
You didn't include streaming services? What money is health care making? Are you for real? Are more people going to hospitals or pharmacy than it was before the lockdown? No.
Every American businesses have been affected by lockdown apart from Streaming services whose patronage has skyrocketed. As more people are now at home and bored.
Online Gaming also.
Social media platforms and online dating sites also.
Masks, Drugs, PPE relating to Corona Virus has skyrocketed...
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by gbemishile: 5:40pm On Apr 06, 2020
I was seriously planning on investing on this logistic(themap) business this April o.i had already planned on visiting their office to make payment.
Now that we have this lockdown and recession put together,my mind don dey confused
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by SmartMen: 5:44pm On Apr 06, 2020
Yenefer:
Is it impossible to consider that they created and unleashed this virus on the world? Their, 'lack of transparency' seems naïve to me. The world economy is bust, and they're buying everything dirt cheap. Their end game, in my view, is they come out on top as world leaders. We've got to wake up.
Yeah, It seems they use 5G to create the CoronaVirus, what do you think?
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by SmartMen: 5:45pm On Apr 06, 2020
gbemishile:
I was seriously planning on investing on this logistic(themap) business this April o.i had already planned on visiting their office to make payment.
Now that we have this lockdown and recession put together,my mind don dey confused
no let your mind confused... some things are a blessing. New Industries will be born during this period, properties will sell for cheap...
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by macaranta(m): 5:47pm On Apr 06, 2020
Number 5,a lot of people are home looking for ways to pass the time and learning a new skill is one of such activities.

If you can teach an in demand skill online, then visit my signature.
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by shilz(f): 5:53pm On Apr 06, 2020
obicoolnino:
You forgot to add small beer parlour businesses, all men must chill in d evening after spending the day at home.
they have been instructed to close down their businesses.
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by vickydevoka(m): 5:57pm On Apr 06, 2020
Clothingonline9:
People selling food are cashing out here in Nigeria
In Nigeria people don consider food as lucrative business.
Buh me I sell provision my business boost x 3
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by vickydevoka(m): 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2020
iretemide:
food stuffs.
I called people that I usually buy Gari from yesterday, just to order for more, I was told the quantity we used to buy at #2,200 it's now #5,500.
Nigerian are too selfish.
Sometimes it's not their fault. Na whole salers de hike Price
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by qanda: 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2020
Food, Health, Elearning are top on this list.

First things first, man must chop!

Health important.

eLearning... in that order.
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by vickydevoka(m): 6:00pm On Apr 06, 2020
galaxy2020:
Including sale of recharge cards and pos withdrawals and payments. Most ppl can't get to the banks bcus of the lockdown, so they have no other choice than to make withdrawals with pos machine. For recharge cards, you must make calls whether good or bad.
Buh recharge card is not profitable at all especially her in jos
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Tunagee(m): 6:03pm On Apr 06, 2020
orunmila144:
POLICE BRIBE BUSINESS AS THEY COLLECT EGUNJE FROM CURFEW BREAKERS

grin
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by donemzy115(m): 6:13pm On Apr 06, 2020
How come I didn't see forex in the list?then u guys need to know about this online business.check my signature and add hi me on WhatsApp,,,na u get your money and know one is sharing it with u.
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by grandlexuz(m): 6:14pm On Apr 06, 2020
Lamanii22:

My sister works in an hospital... They had to send some staffs home cause no patient's coming... They said they can't pay 'em

Hospital wasn't mentioned in the list. Healthcare is not synonymous to hospital. The OP gave sectors in healthcare that are thriving.

1 Like

Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Lamanii22(f): 6:23pm On Apr 06, 2020
grandlexuz:

Hospital wasn't mentioned in the list. Healthcare is not synonymous to hospital. The OP gave sectors in healthcare that are thriving.

Maybe I skipped that part.... Pardon me...
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by dangoteinlaw: 6:24pm On Apr 06, 2020
FanRong:
Frankly speaking,
very correct! If you like urself just but 20gig once and for all instead of those 5gig or 2gig.
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Amanda4life: 6:32pm On Apr 06, 2020
Agriculture
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Amanda4life: 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2020
I have eh thought about it.

After this crises.

Smart people will have a rethink.on the type of jobs they do for a living.

Agriculture is number one profession that can stand the taste of time.

A time like this will still come again.

People should endevour to go into agriculture.

Food is number one
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by drewe20(m): 6:37pm On Apr 06, 2020
Greatzeus:
You didn't include streaming services? What money is health care making? Are you for real? Are more people going to hospitals or pharmacy than it was before the lockdown? No.
Every American businesses have been affected by lockdown apart from Streaming services whose patronage has skyrocketed. As more people are now at home and bored.
Online Gaming also.
Social media platforms and online dating sites also.

Pharmacies are open and making good money this period
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by diplomat058(m): 6:56pm On Apr 06, 2020
Lol. What of Food and Accommodation?
FanRong:
Frankly speaking,
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by Slimsly100(f): 7:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
FanRong:
Frankly speaking,

Oga u forget to add light(electricity) join ur list o
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by ablogroup: 7:37pm On Apr 06, 2020
If sales of liqour no dey, this list is invalid!
Re: 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics by iretemide(f): 7:51pm On Apr 06, 2020
vickydevoka:

Sometimes it's not their fault. Na whole salers de hike Price
I am an whole saler too, the people I am talking about are the ones processing cassava to Gari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Full List Of Elon Musk’s Wives, Girlfriends And Children (Photos) / MMM Nigeria: Ponzi Scheme, Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? TheGuardian / Affordable Clothes & Accessories In Dubai?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.