Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,551 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

My Embedded Electronics Gallery - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Embedded Electronics Gallery (1850 Views)

Arduino Visual Embedded Programming With Flprog / What'sapp Group For Inverter, Embedded System, Software Programming / Free Embedded Systems Design Seminar In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:28am On Apr 08, 2020
As a graduate of Applied Geophysics, what I could say about my experience in electronics in more like addiction or should I say passionate desire to do it everyday. I started electronics when I was 7, and as each day passed, my passion for it grew. I'm an introvert who finds solace in listening more than talking. So, I started learning embedded programming 2017. Though it was a rough and tough journey at first, because there was no one to look up to for knowledge. So, I kept up with habit of independent research for more knowledge on the field of electronics, and it has been great journey so far. I have average skills in C programming language, and applied this in series of electronics projects. Successfully completed projects on embedded systems are Global Positioning System (GPS), Automobile tracker, Universal Radio transmitter and receiver, Fingerprint attendance, Public address system with 8x8 matrix display, Resistivity meter, digital Multimeter, mini cheap oscilloscope with OLED screen, Persistence of Vision (POV) Display, Acrylic Illusion, RC toy car, Bluetooth home automation, IOT automation system, Keypad security system, Fingerprint security system, Geophone Sensor (for detecting earthquake), and lots more. I created this thread to give access to people like me who are really having hard time to get electronics projects done. I would be making posts twice in a week; Monday and Friday. I hope this will help much. And for each projects, I would endeavour to post codes and schematics. *Note:* I only use 3 softwares for coding ; Arduino IDE, MikroC, MPLAB and Arduino IDE. Design softwares such as Proteus, KiCAD, and Eagle Professional, Easy EDA.
I welcome you all to UNICORN TECHNOLOGIES

6 Likes

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by CodeTemplar: 8:17pm On Apr 08, 2020
Cool
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by yeuch: 10:47pm On Apr 08, 2020
We can’t wait to hear from you bro
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Kyrx(m): 6:10pm On May 19, 2020
No updates here, please take time to show us some of your progress.
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Sulele04(m): 12:47am On May 20, 2020
Wow, I dey feel you bro, do you know about computer vision(opencv),qt.
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Abcruz(m): 5:48pm On May 20, 2020
Wow that's nice keep us updated
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 20, 2020
Op,I'm right behind you
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:47am On Jun 13, 2021
I'm sorry for the long and unexpected break. Things were just tangent off the circle of my focus. I'm back now. Attached is the development board I just built for the sake of tutorials on Arduino. I will start the tutorial very soon

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:57am On Jun 13, 2021
On this development board. I can teach you how to
1. Program LCDs (20x4 or 16x2), OLED display as well, Graphic LCD,
2. Play melody on Piezo sounder
3. Interface Keypad with Arduino (One wire interface too)
4. Interface Time module with Arduino
5. Interface LEDs with Arduino
6. Program Rotary Encoder to control Displays
7. Manipulate analog and I/O Pins of Arduino
8. How to use PWM to control brightness of LEDs
9. Interface TSOP 1838 for remote control System and a lot more

1 Like

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:58am On Jun 13, 2021
This is the part showing the time and temperature sensor.

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 12:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
Before starting, I assume C programming is our familiar programming language
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 7:03am On Jun 14, 2021
20x4 LCD with Arduino

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 7:09am On Jun 14, 2021
To follow up on this project
You will need the following softwares
1. GIMP editor: download from the link below
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
2. Arduino IDE: download from the link below
https://www.arduino.cc/en/software
Note: Towards the end of the Arduino IDE software installation, make sure you accept the installation of the Drivers.
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 7:23am On Jun 14, 2021
I want to recommend some books you can study up on programming Arduino with C programming language and brushing up your skills on electronics.
1. Beginning C for Arduino
https://www.pdfdrive.com/beginning-c-for-arduino-second-edition-learn-c-programming-for-the-arduino-e184630482.html
2. Electronics cookbook: Practical electronics recipes with Arduino and raspberry pi
https://www.pdfdrive.com/electronics-cookbook-practical-electronic-recipes-with-arduino-and-raspberry-pi-e158281740.html
3. Practical electronics for inventors
https://www.pdfdrive.com/practical-electronics-for-inventors-4th-edition-e158038931.html

1 Like

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 7:56am On Jun 14, 2021
I am not going to bore you with calculations in electronics, or too much mathematics. This will be purely practical, equipped with needed calculation for different projects. When I started too, it was great struggle. People will mock you, but I am not going to do that. I am here to listen to your holy curiosity. In small time, you might be seeing some things like what you've never been used to. But keep calm, lines of codes will be commented where necessary. I hope we have a beautiful time together.

for( ; ; ) {// loop forever
Lcd.print("I am here to help"wink;//print I am here to help
}
while (1){// while true
Lcd.SetCursor(0,1,"Electronics will be kiss "wink; //Print Electronics will be kiss on row 2 column 1
Lcd.Clear(); //clear screen
}
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:09am On Jun 14, 2021
Sulele04:
Wow, I dey feel you bro, do you know about computer vision(opencv),qt.
Sorry for replying so late. I just finished beginners level in Python. My vision is to venture into AI with robotics. Very soon sir
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:10am On Jun 14, 2021
Op,I'm right behind you
Thanks... Sorry for replying so late
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:11am On Jun 14, 2021
Kyrx:
No updates here, please take time to show us some of your progress.
Sorry about that sir. I'm back sir.
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:36am On Jun 14, 2021
General Introduction
Electronics components are divided into passive and active components.
Active components are the components which are capable of providing or delivering energy to the circuit. Examples are Diodes, Transistors, Silicon controlled rectifier (SCR), Integrated circuits etc.
Passive Components are components that do not require any external source for the operation and are capable of storing energy in the form of voltage or current in the circuit. Examples are Resistor, Capacitor, Inductor etc
Modules is a relatively compact unit in a larger device or arrangement that is designed to be separately installed, replaced, or serviced. Just like your microphone is to your receiver, or simply the way your earphone is to your smart phone. The earphone is a module because it has it own electret microphone, a push button and sometimes with a slide switch.

Note: Anytime you see me writing Ground, -V or GND, it doesn't mean you have to attach your wire to the Earth or floor. It means to be attached to the negative terminal of your power source. grin that got me when I started learning too. Also VCC or +V means, to be attached to the positive side of the battery.

Resistors do not have polarities. Which means either sides of a resistor can be attached to where it is needed to be. You will learn more as we go on.
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2021
Resistors
Resistors come in dozens of sizes and shapes but they all do the same thing, that is, limit current. Carbon composition is just another way to describe powdered carbon mixed with a glue-like binder. This resistance can be changed from one resistor to the next, simply by changing the ratio of carbon particles to binder. More carbon gives less resistance.
A simple experiment can be carried out in the laboratory how to make resistor. This can be made possible by drawing a line with a soft lead pencil on a sheet of paper. The resistance of the line or points along it is measured by touching the probes of a multi-meter to the line. The resistance of a single line may be too high to measure, so the multi-meter is to be set to its highest resistance scale.

Resistor Colour Code
The colour code bands on the resistor are not only for decoration, they have far more important purpose. They indicate the resistance of the resistor they decorate. Attached Figure explains the usefulness of each colour on the band.
There are tips for reading resistor codes. These are:
The reading direction might not always be clear. Sometimes the increased space between band 3 and 4 give away the reading direction. Also, the first band is usually the closest to a lead. A gold or silver band (the tolerance) is always the last band.
It is a good practice to check the manufacturer’s documentation to be sure about the used coding system. Even better is to measure the resistance with a multi-meter. In some cases, this might even be the only way to figure out the resistance; for example, when the colour bands are burnt off.

4 Band Resistor
The four band colour code is the most common variation and also utilized in this project. These resistors have two bands for the resistance value, one multiplier and one tolerance band. If the bands are green, blue, red and gold. By using the colour code chart, green stands for 5 and blue stands for 6. The value is thus 56*100 = 5600Ω. The golden band means that the resistor has a tolerance of 5%. The resistance value lies therefore between 5320 and 5880 Ω.

5 Band Resistors
Resistors with high precision have an extra band to indicate a third significant digit. Therefore, the first three bands indicate the significant digits, the fourth band is the multiply factor and the fifth band represents the tolerance. There are exceptions to this. For example, sometimes the extra band indicates failure rate (military specification) or temperature coefficient (older or specialized resistors). A resistor with colour band of Brown, Yellow, Purple, Black, and Green is analysed as follows; brown (1), yellow (4), purple (7), black (x1), green (0.5%): 147 Ω 0.5%.
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2021
Resistors color code

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 9:00pm On Jun 15, 2021
Up-close picture of resistors soldered on a perf board

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Vincent000(m): 1:47am On Jun 17, 2021
Well done bro. How do you know where to start in reading the colours
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by tollyboy5(m): 11:35am On Jun 17, 2021
Similar situation. I'm an embedded programmer
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 7:02am On Jun 19, 2021
This is nice
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:18am On Jun 19, 2021
Vincent000:
Well done bro. How do you know where to start in reading the colours
it is easier if it is a 4 band color, there is tolerance in form of colors; gold color band has the tolerance of ±5%, while silver color is ±10% tolerance. These two are mostly used in 4 band colors. For this type of Resistor, your will start a certain color that is different from gold or silver and will end with either gold color band or silver, depending on the tolerance. Read from left to right (silver or gold).
The 5 band colors resistors could be a little tricky. They mostly have brown color as the tolerance color, which is just ±1% which means as a rule, you will read from left to right. With the tolerance band at the far right. Sometimes, you the notice that the tolerance band is a bit thinner compare to the color band on the furthest left of the resistor, that is in a case of have the same color on the first and the last band. For example, brown, brown. In a different case, of different colors on the first and the last, the tolerance band color will be brown. Some would say that, the first four bands will be closer to one another, but manufacturers might get you confused sometimes. But the best practice, which works for me anytime is the use of digital multimeter. If you don't have one, you can build one using voltage divider rule. I will teach you guys soon using ADS1115 programmable amplifier.

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:19am On Jun 19, 2021
tollyboy5:
Similar situation. I'm an embedded programmer
it is nice to have you here sir

1 Like

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:20am On Jun 19, 2021
Yemmyteespeed007:
This is nice
Thanks
Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 11:36am On Jun 19, 2021
Substituting Resistors
There’s sometimes a need for substitute for a close value of an unavailable resistor. What if there’s need for 6700 Ω resistor but a 6800 Ω could only be found? Any value within 10% or 20% of the required value can be utilized. If a particular circuit requires more accuracy you will know from the output. Custom resistances can be built by connecting two or more resistors in series or parallel.
Note: 10k resistor is the same as 10,000 ohms resistor. 1M resistor is 1million ohms while 10R resistor is 10 ohms.

Other kinds of resistors
The carbon composition resistor is only one of several major kinds of resistors. Below are others:
a. Metal film resistors
b. Carbon film resistors
c. Wire-wound resistors
d. Photo-resistors
e. Thermistor
f. Variable resistors

In the future, we will discuss application of Resistors such as voltage and current divider, Resistors arrangements in series and parallel etc

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2021
Capacitors
There are many kinds of capacitors, but they all do the same thing; store electrons. The simplest capacitor is two conductors separated by an insulating material called the dielectric. The dielectric can be paper, plastic film, mica, glass, ceramic, air or a vacuum. The plates can be aluminium discs, aluminium foil or a thin film of metal applied to opposite sides of a solid dielectric. The conductor to dielectric to conductor can be rolled into a cylinder or left flat.

Re: My Embedded Electronics Gallery by Jammy2012(m): 4:05pm On Jun 21, 2021
Safety Precaution for using a capaciotor
Capacitors can store a charge for a considerable time after the power has been switch off. This charge can be dangerous. A large electrolytic charged to only 5 or 10 volts can melt the tip of a screwdriver placed across its terminals. High voltage capacitors like those used in television sets and photoflash units can store a lethal charge. So, it is advisable to never touch the leads of such a capacitor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best network for browsing and cheap subscription plan / Iphone Development / Javascript Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.