Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,335 members, 7,957,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:49 PM

Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? (3723 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Hopejoy: 8:50pm On Jan 02, 2011
My best friend was devasted last 4 months ago but right now as i write, the word 'devasted' is an under statement. REASON: She has just lost her hearthrob to the cold hands of death early Dec'10, no thanks to adamant parents and what doctor diagonised as cardiac arrest.

Her love story started 3 years ago when she found true love in the hands of Dennis. Their love blossomed and became the envy of other girls. When they thought the time was right, Dennis dropped the long awaited clause'WILL YOU MARRY ME? My girl jumped and thanked her God and her answer was ofcourse, little did she know that this would be the genesis of her story.

Dennis brought her to the family for formal introduction(both are Igbos), but trust some parts of ibo land, they went for what they call 'INQUIRY', Alas, my friend was found to be an OSU as against Dennis. Dennis mum swore never to have her as a daughter-inlaw. The whole story seemed simple and funny at the same time to Dennis who was head bent on marrying his princess but family would never want to hear him say it.
To cut story short, the duo were devasted but i guess Dennis could not bear it and suddenly developed hypertension when he saw that all that he laboured for was slipping away, suddenly and to every ones chagrin, he slumped in the mum's house one saturday afternoon and was confirmed dead after been rushed to the hospital. Doctor said he died of cardiac arrest. Now to the house, Do you think nature will ever forgive Dennis's parents,? ONLY CANDID OPINION PLEASE,
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by aljharem(m): 1:01am On Jan 03, 2011
chei,,,chei,chei!!!! cry cry cry cry cry cry

see how some of how parents are so myopic undecided

some of our igbo parents will not even let me marry an igbo woman because i am a northerner angry

i want to have an igbo woman as my 6th wife but the refused calling me an aboki angry angry

see now another victim of this osu/ tribalism madness angry angry angry

i know my igbo people are very pedantic when it come to marriage and i also know how tribal they can be sometimes but this is just to far because this girls is igbo angry angry angry

this is not particular to igbo, also to yoruba and hausa people too angry angry when are we going to leave this tribalism sentiment out,, when there is love angry

i know this woman called ileke-idi i love her now but i am sure she is looking at a yoruba man(ekiti man) instead of her looking at the inside(heart) , the feels i have for her angry angry now is almost married f not married self angry
@op

did they even bother talking to her parents to see her roots angry
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:23am On Jan 03, 2011
alj harem:

i know this woman called ileke-idi

the feels i have for her angry angry

Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 8:09am On Jan 03, 2011
It might be unrelated.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by InkedNerd(f): 9:28am On Jan 03, 2011
@OP: Yes, I think it should be abolished. There is a family friend that my parents associate with and one day while this friend was at my parents house, he brought one of his children with him. While I was in the kitchen I jokingly told my mother that my bother had a crush on this friends daughter and that he's marry her. Immediately after I said that, she had this serious look on her face and said "No he won't. She's an osu and none of my children will marry an osu. Some families like to break social barriers and that's one barrier I don't intend on breaking". I even overheard my dad having a conversation with a friend and he said that he'd chase away any osu who'd attempt to to even show interest in marrying one of his children. You know the interesting thing about the osu's of today is that a lot of them are popular public figures. I think we should do away with this osu caste system. Even in India, they are gradually letting go of their caste system.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Ndipe(m): 1:31am On Jan 04, 2011
I have a hunch this story is fake, but you can read more of this beat up topic here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-107592.0.html
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 1:12am On Jan 08, 2011
There should be a law that makes it a criminal offence, and those still practising it should be convicted and thrown behind bars.

In many parts of Nigeria there are also those sacrificed to idols and confirmed Osu's. Some even have the names of such deities as their surnames(Ifatoye, Sangogbemi, etc). I dont see why it should be a big deal in Alaigbo.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by TewMuch: 5:39am On Jan 08, 2011
excanny:

There should be a law that makes it a criminal offence, and those still practising it should be convicted and threw behind bars.

In many parts of Nigeria there are also those sacrificed to idols and confirmed Osu's. Some even have the names of such deities as their surnames(Ifatoye, Sangogbemi, etc). I dont see why it should be a big deal in Alaigbo.
What are you talking about? Do u really understand anything about Yoruba culture and names? Those names are not for outcasts, it just tells you either the profession of a person's ancestor or the god's they worshipped. An Ifatoye probably comes from a line of ifa priests and a Sangogbemi comes from a long line of Sango worshippers. Yoruba don't have OSU, please try and know what ur talking about before you type. Or you can ask.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 7:34am On Jan 08, 2011
^^^
Then you dont know what an Osu is. That you dont discriminate against them in your place doesn't make it different from the way they would have been treated were it in Igbo land.

Idol worshipping is not just extolled in Igbo land. Osus are in the sense of the world supposed to be given special respect, since they are in the service of the gods.

Like I previously said, Osus are everywhere in the world. The only difference is that they are seen as ill-luck in Igboland and thus treated as  'outcasts', while in other lands they are revered and respected.

Moreover, this isn't about Yoruba vs Igbo thing. I've been trying to get similar situations from other cultures, though it's hard since not much is published about these peoples. So take your tribalistic mind elsewhere.

EDITED: Slightly
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by aljharem(m): 8:31am On Jan 08, 2011
excanny:

^^^
Then you dont know what an Osu is. That you dont discriminate against them in your place doesn't make it different from the way they would have been treated were it in Igbo land.

Idol worshipping is not just extolled in Igbo land. Osus are in the sense of the world supposed to be given special respect, since they are in the service of the gods.

Like I previously said, Osus are everywhere in the world. The only difference is that they are seen as ill-luck in Igboland and thus treated as  'outcasts', while in other lands they are revered and respected.

Moreover, this isn't about Yoruba vs Igbo thing. I've been trying to get similar situations from other cultures, though it's hard since not much is published about these peoples. So take your tribalistic mind elsewhere.

EDITED: Slightly

tewmuch, i do not think u understand what tewmuch has posted

he is saying there are no osu in there land,,, he said those surnames are given to families that have worshiped some god in the olden days

i really do not think there are osu's in yorubaland or anywhere else expect maybe briton (gypsis) but all in all i will be happy if that part of our culture is gone smiley
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Akhenaten: 8:40am On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

i really do not think there are osu's in yorubaland or[b] anywhere else[/b] expect maybe briton (gypsis) but all in all i will be happy if that part of our culture is gone smiley

Haven't you heard of the untouchables (dalits) in India? They are one of the largest outcast groups in the world. 160 million Indians are considered untouchables, in which they are the lowest of India's caste system and are treated with disdain.

In Hawaii you have the Kauwa caste, which are considered the slave out outcast caste. Among the Wolof, you have the the jaam, which are considered the slave caste and the neeno, which are the underclass.

The Somali people also have a caste system as well, in which the Mahdiban are considered outcasts. You will also find outcast among the Tuareg and in Mauritania as well.

That really speaks volumes about your limited knowledge of the world. Now stop making ignorant statements. Cause your post make you look like an asinine buffoon.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 9:30am On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

tewmuch, i do not think u understand what tewmuch has posted

he is saying there are no osu in there land,,, he said those surnames are given to families that have worshiped some god in the olden days

i really do not think there are osu's in yorubaland or anywhere else expect maybe briton (gypsis) but all in all i will be happy if that part of our culture is gone smiley

I understood what Tewmuch is saying. But I'm going by the sense of the word 'osu' which means those devoted to the service of the gods. His own point is that such 'devoted' ones are not considered outcasts in his place. I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that their family is tied to those gods. It's just the belief system that determines how you consider certain concepts.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Hopejoy: 12:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ Excanny. I quite agree and share the same view with you. 'Outcast' are everywhere but largely depends on how a particular culture sees them. Igbos (part) is barbaric in nature on this issue.

The story was a true one cos i witnessed it all. I believe some day, this barbaric attitude will stop for us to move forward. It is also worthy of note that in some Igbo land these people dorminate and rule over the free born while in some other parts, they are marginalised. Then in other places they dont even know what it is even though they are Igbos. Other places, there is equal right as a free born dare not call the other an outcast or all hell will let loose.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by aljharem(m): 3:14pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Haven't you heard of the untouchables (dalits) in India? They are one of the largest outcast groups in the world. 160 million Indians are considered untouchables, in which they are the lowest of India's caste system and are treated with disdain.

In Hawaii you have the Kauwa caste, which are considered the slave out outcast caste. Among the Wolof, you have the the jaam, which are considered the slave caste and the neeno, which are the underclass.

The Somali people also have a caste system as well, in which the Mahdiban are considered outcasts. You will also find outcast among the Tuareg and in Mauritania as well.

That really speaks volumes about your limited knowledge of the world. Now stop making ignorant statements. Cause your post make you look like an asinine buffoon.

i am not in a fight with u oooooo

but do not bring the fight to me or else u will HATE nairaland for the rest of your life,, i tell ya

i hope you know my past history so do not even try to take insults at me

thank you smiley

i hope you will understand and behave youself before it is too late

knowing you are new on nairaland, just take it easy because your blood is still hot
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by aljharem(m): 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2011
excanny:

I understood what Tench is saying. But I'm going by the sense of the word Os's which means those devoted to the service of the gods. His own point is that such devoted ones are not considered outcasts in his place. I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that their family is tied to those gods. It's just the belief system that determines how you consider certain concepts.

OK brother, i perfectly understand what you are saying but if that is the case, most Yoruba's go by the name fadeye, etc does that mean they are also outcast (i know they are osu) because my say in Lagos about 80% of the people i meant we either fa something (ifa) or sangodeyi (Sango) or even ogunsola (ogun) etc,,,, please i would like you knowledge on this smiley

thanks smiley
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 3:31pm On Jan 08, 2011
Hopejoy:

@ Excanny. I quite agree and share the same view with you. 'Outcast' are everywhere but largely depends on how a particular culture sees them. Igbos (part) is barbaric in nature on this issue.

The story was a true one cos i witnessed it all. I believe some day, this barbaric attitude will stop for us to move forward. It is also worthy of note that in some Igbo land these people dorminate and rule over the free born while in some other parts, they are marginalised. Then in other places they dont even know what it is even though they are Igbos. Other places, there is equal right as a free born dare not call the other an outcast or all hell will let loose.

If I were you, I'll mind the way I use 'barbaric'. I dont think 'barbaric' describes the osu caste system. I think I'll rather stick with discrimination.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 3:40pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

OK brother, i perfectly understand what you are saying but if that is the case, most Yoruba's go by the name fadeye, etc does that mean they are also outcast (i know they are osu) because my say in Lagos about 80% of the people i meant we either fa something (ifa) or sangodeyi (Sango) or even ogunsola (ogun) etc,,,, please i would like you knowledge on this smiley

thanks smiley

I dont think you deserve to be taught about Igbo culture. Your posting history have been largely anti-Igbo.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by aljharem(m): 4:18pm On Jan 08, 2011
excanny:

I dont think you deserve to be taught about Igbo culture. Your posting history have been largely anti-Igbo.

how is it anti-igbo

explain

how does my post make you suggest that i am anti-igbo

i do everything on this forum to make us look good and u call mme anti-igbo

maybe something i post things that might be deemed as an offessive post to igbo people but i just like to post the truth so we can learn undecided from some of the mistakes we do on this forum
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by TewMuch: 5:48pm On Jan 08, 2011
Excanny you are getting it wrong. Those people are not outcasts. It is just like saying you are referred to as an outcast for being a doctor. The Yoruba gods are loved and revered, so those people's ancestors were worshippers or preists. I think it may have even been an honor to marry into such a family. There were also guilds of farmer's and hunter's who still have those surnnames would you refer to them as outcasts too? A farmer? Yoruba society is very complex, and a very accomodating one. Just like we can't persecute you for being a christian, we can't persecute the ancestor's of an Ifatoye for adherring to Ifa. There was simply nothing like that when it comes to religion. Although I heard a story about some Ijebu's. Not clear on it again. But that was only specific to that area.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Akhenaten: 6:05pm On Jan 08, 2011
Hopejoy:

The Osu caste system in my part of Igboland was abolished a long time ago. The elders of my village said, that their numbers were not even that large in our part of Igboland, so no one can remember who is of osu lineage, because they are probably mixed with freeborn lineage.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:07pm On Jan 08, 2011
TewMuch:

[b]Excanny you are getting it wrong. Those people are not outcasts. [/b]It is just like saying you are referred to as an outcast for being a doctor. The Yoruba gods are loved and revered, so those people's ancestors were worshippers or preists. I think it may have even been an honor to marry into such a family. There were also guilds of farmer's and hunter's who still have those surnnames would you refer to them as outcasts too? A farmer? Yoruba society is very complex, and a very accomodating one. Just like we can't persecute you for being a christian, we can't persecute the ancestor's of an Ifatoye for adherring to Ifa. There was simply nothing like that when it comes to religion. Although I heard a story about some Ijebu's. Not clear on it again. But that was only specific to that area.
The bolded, being the basis of your response, TewMuch, just shows that you have not been understanding what excanny has been saying. He isn't referring to those people as outcasts. If anything, you and him are saying the same thing, with the exception of excanny going on to further state that some Igbo groups/areas, for whatever reason, have attached ill-luck to the devotees, making them outcasts. Aside from that, the two of you have been in agreement. Excanny even said so himself.

excanny:

I understood what Tewmuch is saying. But I'm going by the sense of the word 'osu' which means those devoted to the service of the gods. His own point is that such 'devoted' ones are not considered outcasts in his place. I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that their family is tied to those gods. It's just the belief system that determines how you consider certain concepts.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by TewMuch: 11:50pm On Jan 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The bolded, being the basis of your response, TewMuch, just shows that you have not been understanding what excanny has been saying. He isn't referring to those people as outcasts. If anything, you and him are saying the same thing, with the exception of excanny going on to further state that some Igbo groups/areas, for whatever reason, have attached ill-luck to the devotees, making them outcasts. Aside from that, the two of you have been in agreement. Excanny even said so himself.

n igbo land maybe. but in yorubaland the concept does not exist so there is no basis for comparison. nd the two should not be compared. to me we are saying totally different things. here are so many deities and god's and so many different families had the Gods they favored that is why the adopted lastnames to show this. Doesnt mean society forces it on them and classifies them into one group. If it did the whole Yorubaland would have been OSU at some point. This is an issue of choice or family influence not stigma's. Its not the same.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:40am On Jan 09, 2011
TewMuch, stop trying to argue, and pay attention. You have devotees in your Yoruba culture, no? People or families who have devoted themselves to the favour or worship of certain practices/gods/etc., no? That is an "osu" (or at least, one of the meanings of "osu"wink. That is what "osu" (in this context) actually means/translates to; "devotee". That is what excanny meant this entire time.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Akhenaten: 12:47am On Jan 09, 2011
Tewmuch needs to read carefully. Most traditional African societies have people and families dedicated to particular gods. The way these family or people are treated is different from society to society. Even amongst the Igbo, the "Osu" practice varied from clan to clan, village to village.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by AndreUweh(m): 1:17am On Jan 09, 2011
I would so much love to see this tradition abolished in Igboland. In my own particular community, none exists. But two communities south of mine has it in some families. The Eze of the community is prepared to assist with the eradication of this stigma. However some natural forces beyond his control has hindered this task. For example, heavy downpour has disrupted activities on two occasions on days set aside for this task.
Death and dying has also threatened those spearheading the abolition movement.
Perhaps, there is a lot to it which we may not know.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 10:26am On Jan 09, 2011
Andre Uweh:

I would so much love to see this tradition abolished in Igboland. In my own particular community, none exists. But two communities south of mine has it in some families. The Eze of the community is prepared to assist with the eradication of this stigma. However some natural forces beyond his control has hindered this task. For example, heavy downpour has disrupted activities on two occasions on days set aside for this task.
Death and dying has also threatened those spearheading the abolition movement.
Perhaps, there is a lot to it which we may not know.

How did they intend to eradicate it?
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Hopejoy: 11:31am On Jan 09, 2011
@ excanny

I know and understand the context under which i used the word 'Barbaric'. What i meant was the barbaric practices of some Igbo people on this issue (without civilizing influences). I rather advice you think before you post. It is obviously the 2nd warning you are getting just on this post and you better watch it.

I believe you can communicate well without insults otherwise keep sealed lips lipsrsealed.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by AndreUweh(m): 11:43am On Jan 09, 2011
excanny:

How did they intend to eradicate it?
In a formal way.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by AndreUweh(m): 11:48am On Jan 09, 2011
In as much as I would so much love the osu caste system abolished, am yet to get answers as to why 7 ladies from my community who are married into this osu families have all died within 18 years now. The last two were even born again christians.
I think, there is a lot to it which I or we do not know of.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 12:01pm On Jan 09, 2011
Hopejoy:

@ excanny

I know and understand the context under which i used the word 'Barbaric'. What i meant was the barbaric practices of some Igbo people on this issue (without civilizing influences). I rather advice you think before you post. It is obviously the 2nd warning you are getting just on this post and you better watch it.

I believe you can communicate well without insults otherwise keep sealed lips lipsrsealed.

Can you show me where I insulted you? I was only cautioning you not to use a harsh language. These people do these things sincerely according to their beliefs, though rooted in ignorance. That is why I said I'll rather call it a discrimination. It's not different from racism and other forms of prejudices.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by Hopejoy: 12:12pm On Jan 09, 2011
@excanny

I believe i have made my point and its well understood. No offence anyway, just wanted you to know that i understood what the word i used meant, thats all.
Re: Should 'osu Cast System' In Some Parts Of Igbo Land Be Abolished? by excanny: 12:21pm On Jan 09, 2011
Hopejoy:

@excanny

I believe i have made my point and its well understood. No offence anyway, just wanted you to know that i understood what the word i used meant, thats all.

Are you Igbo?

(1) (2) (Reply)

"It’s Sign Of Inferiority Complex For Africans To Bear European Names" – Reno Om / Etsako (ibie) Verbs / Please Help Translate These Songs Into English (gift Included).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.