Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits (669 Views)

High Cost Of Food Products, Looming Food Shortage And Famine / Coca-cola Halts Production As Co2 Shortage Affects Soft Drinks / Coca-cola Advises Nigerians To Consume More Fruits, Reduce Sugar Intake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by CodeTemplar: 8:07pm On Apr 08, 2020
The UK faces food shortages unless 70,000 Britons 'do their duty' by harvesting the country's fruit and vegetables for £15-an-hour with the global pandemic also disrupting the flow of imported goods, MailOnline can reveal today.
ADVERTISEMENT
More than 30,000 people have asked to join a new 'Land Army' to 'pick for Britain' and 'feed the nation' - but it is still 40,000 short of what is needed by early May and only a third of volunteers have ever worked on a farm.
There is also growing confusion about how they will travel to farms, share accommodation and work safely in fields while maintaining social distancing because Public Health England is yet to complete its official guidance.
The Treasury last night stepped in to speed up the process of gathering volunteers by deciding farmers and food plants hit with staff shortages will be allowed to recruit furloughed workers after pressure from the National Farmers' Union.
It means they will be able to keep 80 per cent of their pay up to £2,500-a-month, paid for by the taxpayer, while also earning up to £15 an hour, or £350-a-week picking fruit and vegetables.

Read full article here:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8200103/Fears-food-shortages-unless-extra-40-000-people-volunteer-pick-crops.html
Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 08, 2020
If I volunteer will they come and carry me

2 Likes

Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by dawnomike(m): 8:19pm On Apr 08, 2020
There are many volunteers here in Nigeria that won't mind a lesser pay sef... This can help save cost for UK grin

1 Like

Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by longetivity(m): 8:25pm On Apr 08, 2020
abeg make dem send plane com carry me i dey farm anything farmable

2 Likes

Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by TheSourcerer: 8:26pm On Apr 08, 2020
Okay o

1 Like

Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by iretiolu92(f): 8:32pm On Apr 08, 2020
longetivity:
abeg make dem send plane com carry me i dey farm anything farmablelol

Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by iretiolu92(f): 8:32pm On Apr 08, 2020
longetivity:
lol

Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by daddytime(m): 8:44pm On Apr 08, 2020
Lol

We get people wey ready dey sleep for the farm oh.
Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by CodeTemplar: 8:37am On Apr 09, 2020
They are looking people within the UK.
Re: UK Faces Food Shortage And In Need Of 40,000 Volunteers For Harvesting Fruits by CodeTemplar: 3:34pm On Apr 12, 2020
longetivity:

What if corona catch u there n damage u?

(1) (Reply)

Enjoy Seafood Okra Soup With Giant Crab / What Foodstuff Can I Get With 10k / Re: Man Dies During Beer Parlor Argument

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.