Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? (4404 Views)

‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group / Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Do You Think My Friend Is? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 10:52pm On Apr 08, 2020
There’s quite a few foods which more than one tribe eats as more or less indigenous food (Igbo and Yoruba shared foods in particular) but who’s willing to bet the ultimate origin of the following?

Jollof rice
Moi-moi (mai-mai, moin-moin)
Egusi soup
Akara

Puff-puff
Chin-chin
Nigerian buns
Fried rice
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Acedave1(m): 10:58pm On Apr 08, 2020
no one in this site can give an answer to this question
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by ghettokid1(m): 11:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
Probz:
There’s quite a few foods which more than one tribe eats as more or less indigenous food (Igbo and Yoruba shared foods in particular) but who’s willing to bet the ultimate origin of the following?

Jollof rice
Egusi soup
Akara

Puff-puff
Chin-chin
Nigerian buns
Fried rice
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by ghettokid1(m): 11:06pm On Apr 08, 2020
Probz:

Jollof rice
Egusi soup
Akara

Puff-puff
Chin-chin
Nigerian buns
Fried rice
I think google will explain better sir!
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 11:49pm On Apr 08, 2020
For the eguisi it is originally benin it is a religious soup, it is eaten as traditional soup by the eastern yorubas who had came in contact with the benins before the advent of nigeria, places like ekiti, ondo,
but the other part of yorubas eat amala and ewedu as thier original food this is due to oyo influence over those part of yorubas

But igbo claiming egusi is sacrilege

Op am also offended is it only yorubas and igbos that this food are common to if you can name the full teibes in nigeria then dont name any biko

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:13am On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:
For the eguisi it is benin it is a religious soup it is eaten as traditional food by the eastern yorubas had came in contact with before the advrnt of nigeria place like ekito ondo the yorubas eat amala and ewedu as thier original food this is due to oyo influence over those part of yorubas

[B]Op am also offended is it only yorubas and igbos that this food are common to[/B]if you can name the full teibes in nigeria then dont name any biko

I didn’t say that but most of these foods tend to originate with either ndi Igbo or ndi Yoruba because we share the same root. Other tribes tend to have adapted these foods from one or the other.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 7:24am On Apr 09, 2020
Probz:

I didn’t say that but most of these foods tend to originate with either ndi Igbo or ndi Yoruba because we share the same root. Other tribes tend to have adapted these foods from one or the other.

That's were i have problem with you, because the other had invented this food but you failed to do your research instead you concluded your assumptions on the 2 big tribe

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 09, 2020
Probz:

Your fathers and Yorubas share same root not ndigbo.

Ozu.

3 Likes

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:
For the eguisi it is originally benin it is a religious soup, it is eaten as traditional soup by the eastern yorubas who had came in contact with the bonis before the advent of nigeria, places like ekiti, ondo, but the part of yorubas eat amala and ewedu as thier original food this is due to oyo influence over those part of yorubas

Op am also offended is it only yorubas and igbos that this food are common to if you can name the full teibes in nigeria then dont name any biko

Op is just smoking kwale weed. The food is common to nearly all tribes.

Limiting to Igbos and Yoruba is an arrant nonsense. Igbos has no connection or root with Yorubas.

All these food spread due to movement and one Nigeria them project.

3 Likes

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 09, 2020
Probz:
[s]There’s quite a few foods which more than one tribe eats as more or less indigenous food (Igbo and Yoruba shared foods in particular) but who’s willing to bet the ultimate origin of the following?

Jollof rice
Egusi soup
Akara

Puff-puff
Chin-chin
Nigerian buns
Fried rice[/s]

If you don't know what to write. Don't bother opening any thread.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 9:56am On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Op is just smoking kwale weed. The food is common to nearly all tribes.

Limiting to Igbos and Yoruba is an arrant nonsense. Igbos has no connection or root with Yorubas.

All these food spread due to movement and one Nigeria them project.

Surely he was he also had it in mind that the other tribes didnt invent any of theses food

Confam mugu

I would use my two balls to swear egusi is a bini soup and the idiot here is ascribing it to just two tribe ogun kill am therw
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 9:59am On Apr 09, 2020
Probz:

Jollof rice
Egusi soup
Akara

Puff-puff
Chin-chin
Nigerian buns
Fried rice

What food does igbo and yoruba share in particular list them

Fried rice is foreign probably from asia or europe
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:

Surely he was he also had it in mind that the other tribes didnt invent any of theses food

Confam mugu

I would use my two balls to swear egusi is a bini soup and the idiot here is ascribing it to just two tribe ogun kill am therw

Don't really but Yorubas no even Sabi cook egwusi soup..

So there is no way it can ascribed to them and that not withstanding the basis of the thread is useless as the Intention of the thread is already defeated.

The thread is a fake make up to a non-existing union.

2 Likes

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:

What food does igbo and yoruba share in particular list them

Fried rice is foreign probably from asia or europe
Mr Igbos has no common food with Yorubas.
The thread is a fake one..
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Sammy07: 10:31am On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:
For the eguisi it is originally benin it is a religious soup, it is eaten as traditional soup by the eastern yorubas who had came in contact with the bonis before the advent of nigeria, places like ekiti, ondo, but the part of yorubas eat amala and ewedu as thier original food this is due to oyo influence over those part of yorubas

This is the 2nd time I'm warning you that Ekiti and Ondo do not have Amala and ewedu as their original food.

If you don't know about something, why not keep shut?
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by scholes0(m): 11:43am On Apr 09, 2020
Jollof rice - General
Moi-moi (mai-mai, moin-moin) also called Olele or Oole - Yoruba
Egusi soup (Obe Egusi)- Yoruba
Akara - Yoruba

Other shared foods and(or) snacks.
Booli - Yoruba
Guguru & Epa - Yoruba
Suya - Hausa
Dodo - Yoruba
Pepper soup - Dunno (Anyone who knows?)
Puffpuff/chinchin/Buns - General
Garri - Only God knows. Na thisone dey hard me pass.
Pekere (fried plantain chips) - Yoruba
Zobo - Hausa
Eko/Agidi - Yoruba and Igbo
Akamu/Ogi/Koko - Likely General.
Kunu - Hausa
Kulu-Kuli - Yoruba/Nupe/Hausa
Palm sap (wine) - Common drink in the south and center.

I don't know if these ones are general or regional. Or regional transitioning into General.
Kokoro - Yoruba
Abacha - Igbo
Donkwa - Hausa
Aadun - Yoruba
Alewa - Hausa
Baba dudu/Chesbin Mallam/Alagbon - Yoruba/Hausa
Ube - Likely Igbo/Eastern NNigeria.
Asun - Yoruba
Nkwobi - Igbo
Ukwa - Igbo

Apparently all Nigerian major groups have contributed substantially to our general cuisines.

5 Likes

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 11:54am On Apr 09, 2020
Sammy07:

This is the 2nd time I'm warning you that Ekiti and Ondo do not have Amala and ewedu as their original food.

If you don't know about something, why not keep shut?

You nor get sense you couldn't feel in my empty words i mistakenly left out
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 12:12pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Ozu.

Shut your stinking mouth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 09, 2020
Probz:

Shut your stinking mouth.

Your fathers and Yorubas share same root not ndigbo. Ozu.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 12:49pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Ozu.

Wtf is wrong with you

Go and read books and stop saying nonsense

Benin never have any connections with ife stop that old lies to by awolowo and his western region
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:

Wtf is wrong with you

Go and read books and stop saying nonsense

Benin never have any connections with ife stop that old lies to by awolowo and his western region

I didn't quote you.

I quoted the other guy rather.

Is the guy from Benin?
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 1:12pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

I didn't quote you.

I quoted the other guy rather.

Is the guy from Benin?

Ha no he is retarded igbo guy

He even called yorubas ndi- yorubas

Even the big tribes are still the other bigger tribe
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 09, 2020
gregyboy:

Ha no he is retarded igbo guy

He even called yorubas ndi- yorubas

Even the big tribes are still the other bigger tribe

He is looking for unanimity where non is existing.

If there are relationships Igbos has many tribes they are surrounded with but not Yorubas.

Such myth or theory will never exist.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

If there are relationships Igbos has many tribes they are surrounded with but not Yorubas.

Lol,
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 2:38pm On Apr 09, 2020
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 2:38pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Ozu.

I’m Igbo, you silly boy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 2:42pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

I don’t know which side you’re from but I think you need to let go of this superiority attitude and learn that Igbo and Yoruba share foods and certain other cultural marks because we have the same ancestral root and the former have been influenced by Bini and Igala in certain parts of igboland.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 09, 2020
Probz:

I don’t know which side you’re from but I think you need to let go of this superiority attitude and learn that Igbo and Yoruba share foods and certain other cultural marks because we have the same ancestral root and the former have been influenced by Bini and Igala in certain parts of igboland.

You are talking Nonsense upon gibberish because nothing like that is existing in that your little history book.

Take your fake stories to illiterates who will buy them not sane minds.

Yorubas and Igbos have no common food...Ozu..You are the one trying to create such scenario because it never exist and still not existing.

You are too small and ill-educated to re-write history...who send you on such mischievous mission..?

Yorubas and Igbos has nothing like same ancestral. This is the greatest lie and another springing myth. Get on with other things and don't even think of fabricating any little technical paper full of lies. Culturally Igbos has no single cultural similarities with Yorubas let alone your fictitious ancestral.

Mr, I will advise you to chase this your pop corn dream with your great grand father's, grand father's and father's name or even your immediate community and leave ndigbo and other larger community out of your delusion.

If your mother is Yoruba...fine ...trace your root to them but don't come here to fabricate lies injurious to Ndigbo.

Ndi ala forming literate......Otondo.

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 09, 2020
scholes0:
Jollof rice - General
Akara - Yoruba

Booli - Yoruba
Guguru & Epa - Yoruba
Suya - Hausa
Dodo - Yoruba
Zobo - Hausa
Kunu - Hausa

I don't know if these ones are general or regional. Or regional transitioning into General.
Kokoro - Yoruba
Abacha - Igbo
Donkwa - Hausa
Aadun - Yoruba
Alewa - Hausa
Asun - Yoruba
Nkwobi - Igbo
Ukwa - Igbo

Apparently all Nigerian major groups have contributed substantially to our general cuisines.

Guy please wait while your thunder is processing

3 Likes

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by darfay: 3:32pm On Apr 09, 2020
scholes0:
Jollof rice - General
Akara - Yoruba

Booli - Yoruba
Guguru & Epa - Yoruba
Suya - Hausa
Dodo - Yoruba
Zobo - Hausa
Kunu - Hausa

Kokoro - Yoruba
Abacha - Igbo
Donkwa - Hausa
Aadun - Yoruba
Alewa - Hausa
Asun - Yoruba
Nkwobi - Igbo
Ukwa - Igbo

Egusi is Benin, not Yoruba!!!!
You guys are terrible cooks?
Where in Yoruba Land have you historically grown egusi?
Igbos have a better claim than you?
But it's still benin
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by darfay: 3:34pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

You are talking Nonsense upon gibberish because nothing like that is existing in that your little history book.

Yorubas and Igbos have no common food...Ozu..You are the one trying to create such scenario because it never exist and still not existing.

You are too small and ill-educated to re-write history...who send you on such mischievous mission..?

Yorubas and Igbos has nothing like same ancestral. This is the greatest lie and another springing myth. Get on with other things and don't even think of fabricating any little technical paper full of lies. Culturally Igbos has no single cultural similarities with Yorubas let alone your fictitious ancestral.

Mr, I will advise you to chase this your pop corn dream with your great grand father's, grand father's and father's name or even your immediate community and leave ndigbo and other larger community out of your delusion.

If your mother is Yoruba...fine ...trace your root to them but don't come here to fabricate lies injurious to Ndigbo.

Abeg pity your brothers from ewedustan province of ooduaArewastan
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 3:42pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Igbos and Yorubas have no shared food? Ogiri? Egusi? Moi-moi? Akara? Jollof rice? That right?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OiynbBvMblcC&pg=PR8&dq=Yoruba+Igbo+same+language+originally&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq94CiytvoAhWygVwKHWneCsYQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=Ukpaka&f=false

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Evolution Of Dance In Our Society / Yoruba Dialects And Their Differences / Opinion Poll: Are Igbos And Igbo Towns Complying With The Sit-at-home Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.