Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? (4438 Views)

‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group / Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Do You Think My Friend Is? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 11:16pm On Apr 09, 2020
MelesZenawi:

You're really on an evil and dangerous mission with a disastrous and painful end...

Amadioha magbukwa gi on this evil pact of trying to rubbish a golden tradition.

May Earth pour you sand.

I think you need to be somewhere deep in Enugu’s psychiatric hospital.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 1:14am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

1. Egusi
2. Jollof rice
3. Akara
4. Moi-moi
5. Ogiri
6. Ejime/ejire for twins

Tell me Igbos and Yorubas don’t vaguely share all these things in common and I’ll know you’re just an overzealous baboon.

Next
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:25am On Apr 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Next

Either answer the questions postulated to you or get out of this thread.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 1:27am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

Either answer the questions postulated to you or get out of this thread.

Next
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:31am On Apr 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Next

Bye.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 1:34am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

Bye.
next
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:45am On Apr 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

next

Okay.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 1:57am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

Okay.
Next
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 2:02am On Apr 10, 2020
cc. 9kakool
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by darfay: 3:35am On Apr 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Next

Oga, abeg careful the way you dey pummel him skull o, you know say na ewedu full inside o.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 4:12am On Apr 10, 2020
darfay:

Oga, abeg careful the way you dey pummel him skull o, you know say na ewedu full inside o.

Come and rebut my points.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Antivirus92(m): 4:57am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

You’re a lost cause. I’m not even getting intelligent rebuttal of each of my points from you.

oga there is nothing like kpomo or shaki in anambra,,,
we know of kanda or imeju,,,
ogiri is purely igbo and has no yoruba connection,whatever alternative to ogiri that the yorubas have is strictly not related to ogiri
igbo and yoruba have some few words sounding similar but that doesn't have anything to do with same origin
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 5:10am On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:
ogiri is purely igbo and has no yoruba connection,whatever alternative to ogiri that the yorubas have is strictly not related to ogiri
igbo and yoruba have some few words sounding similar but that doesn't have anything to do with same origin

There is such a thing as ogiri in Yoruba. At least say what you actually know.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 5:10am On Apr 10, 2020
This thread’s meant for the more intellectual as opposed to village idiots.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 5:15am On Apr 10, 2020
scholes0:
Jollof rice - General
Moi-moi (mai-mai, moin-moin) also called Olele or Oole - Yoruba
Egusi soup (Obe Egusi)- Yoruba
Akara - Yoruba

Other shared foods and(or) snacks.
Booli - Yoruba
Guguru & Epa - Yoruba
Suya - Hausa
Dodo - Yoruba
Pepper soup - Dunno (Anyone who knows?)
Puffpuff/chinchin/Buns - General
Garri - Only God knows. Na thisone dey hard me pass.
Pekere (fried plantain chips) - Yoruba
Zobo - Hausa
Eko/Agidi - Yoruba and Igbo
Akamu/Ogi/Koko - Likely General.
Kunu - Hausa
Kulu-Kuli - Yoruba/Nupe/Hausa
Palm sap (wine) - Common drink in the south and center.

I don't know if these ones are general or regional. Or regional transitioning into General.
Kokoro - Yoruba
Abacha - Igbo
Donkwa - Hausa
Aadun - Yoruba
Alewa - Hausa
Baba dudu/Chesbin Mallam/Alagbon - Yoruba/Hausa
Ube - Likely Igbo/Eastern NNigeria.
Asun - Yoruba
Nkwobi - Igbo
Ukwa - Igbo

Apparently all Nigerian major groups have contributed substantially to our general cuisines.

Pepper soup’s most likely from either Igboland or the Niger Delta region (or both). I know we Igbos share ogbono with the Edo.

I wouldn’t be so hasty in ascribing dodo to you people either. The Yoruba name for fried plantains might be more popular than whatever other equivalents exist but I doubt you people were the first to fry plantain.

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Antivirus92(m): 6:26am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

There is such a thing as ogiri in Yoruba. At least say what you actually know.
if there is, it means they borrowed it from the east
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Antivirus92(m): 6:31am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:
u are the ignorant one here,
when u are talking about people, u talk about their native food and not all these ur shaki and kpomo, moi moi and akara,
you're throwing insults here and there but ur thread and way of reasoning look so childish
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 8:08am On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:

Kpomo and shaki is even an edo world

The foolish guy who created this group believes is only igbo and yoduba that share same food

Cov19 is affecting is brain

He went ahead to name kpomo and shaki as igbo words even both party will dismiss is claims
At instant
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 8:09am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

Guy you need medical attention
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Antivirus92(m): 8:11am On Apr 10, 2020
gregyboy:

The foolish guy who created this group believes is only igbo and yoduba that share same food

He went ahead to name kpomo and shaki as igbo words even both party will dismiss is claims
At instant
he was even insulting people who tried to correct erronous belief
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 8:14am On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:
he was even insulting people who tried to correct erronous belief

He has already equated his knowledge to igbos and yoruba alone meaning no other tribe in nigeria can own those food thier

He is even forcing words on the different tribe, i think he needs to be evaluated

Someone should close the thread forgodsake
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 10, 2020
darfay:

Lol

The guy is a pure daft.

That's how they go trying to rewrite history with one two nonsense.

All those things he wrote, none of them is existing..I was even shocked if na human being or robot dey write such nonsense.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:
The guy na daft.

He is just chasing shadows with one stupid paper he saw online.

How can a full fledged man be disgracing himself in public and even tag anambra with such nonsense.

I intently overlooked that his stupid mention of anambra coz I know no such thing is existing so there is no need empowering the foolishness and ignorance.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:
u are the ignorant one here,
when u are talking about people, u talk about their native food and not all these ur shaki and kpomo, moi moi and akara,
you're throwing insults here and there but ur thread and way of reasoning look so childish

I wonder...

That's how they will seat and be deceiving themselves, single history they don't know..

Very childish....small pikin Brain.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 10, 2020
gregyboy:

At instant

He is an illiterate who immersed himself in lies written by Yorubas.

There is nothing like kpomo or shaki in Igboland.

Nobody has even heard of it unless you move out.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 10, 2020
gregyboy:

He has already equated his knowledge to igbos and yoruba alone meaning no other tribe in nigeria can own those food thier

He is even forcing words on the different tribe, i think he needs to be evaluated

Someone should close the thread forgodsake

That's foolishness generally.

Igbos and Yorubas even the kingdom come doesn't have anything in common with Yorubas.... nothing..

No such is existing......This is the most stupid thread I have ever seen.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by agadez007(m): 9:44am On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

No. The Yoruba equivalent of okpei/dawadawa/locust bean seasoning is what is known as iru. Ogiri proper (as in castor oil ogiri/ogiri egusi) is used in certain parts of Yorubaland as it is in northern igboland and ogiri is the same name certain ‘Yorubas’ use for it as well. Don’t say what you don’t know. Ogede’s also shared as a word and it’s no wonder that it’s the upland Igbos who are more influenced by Igala use it.

People from upland ala Igbo don’t tend to use kanda more than kpomo just like we say obodo oyibo over ala bekee.

And what’s the difference in your eyes between oyibo (igbo) and oyinbo (Yorubaland)? Are you sure you’re saying what you actually know?
Oga
Stop arguing what you know nothing about
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by ahnie: 9:50am On Apr 10, 2020
nlPoster:

I'd have asked when did Isoko and Yoruba start quarreling, but there's one ahnie lady who specializes in jumping people for no reason.
You again... what's my ills this time again?
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:07pm On Apr 10, 2020
agadez007:
Oga
Stop arguing what you know nothing about

How about you stop saying what you don’t know? Ogiri’s used in certain parts of Yorubaland as well as in northern igboland and that’s a hard fact. Either prove me wrong or shut up.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:

They didn’t. We share the thing in common.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by RedboneSmith(m): 6:36pm On Apr 10, 2020
Jolof rice is from Senegal, originated by the ethnic group that has given its name to the dish (the Wolof/Jolof people).

You people can keep fighting over the rest. It's fun to watch these fights.

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:

Only they didn’t. We simply share ogiri in common because we share the same ancestral root. Simple as that. People who aren’t well-versed enough on either side shouldn’t be on this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Itsekiri Is Yoruba- CAN President / Yoruba Dialects And Their Differences / Dear Yorubas, What Happened?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.