Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,845 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? (4428 Views)

‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group / Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Do You Think My Friend Is? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Antivirus92(m): 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

They didn’t. We share the thing in common.
you're free to believe anything u want
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 8:37pm On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:
you're free to believe anything u want

And so are you but at least I know the truth.

We share ogiri with Yorubas. And what of it?
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Antivirus92(m): 8:37pm On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

Only they didn’t. We simply share ogiri in common because we share the same ancestral root. Simple as that. People who aren’t well-versed enough on either side shouldn’t be on this thread.
good for u
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 8:38pm On Apr 10, 2020
Antivirus92:
good for u

Okay.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 8:39pm On Apr 10, 2020
Out of interest, why are some people from either side so bothered about whether we share certain words and foods in common? Will the earth come to a standstill if Igbos and Yorubas share ogiri?
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by gregyboy(m): 10:37pm On Apr 10, 2020
Probz:

Only they didn’t. We simply share ogiri in common because we share the same ancestral root. Simple as that. People who aren’t well-versed enough on either side shouldn’t be on this thread.

Nigga please am offended
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 11:20pm On Apr 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Nigga please am offended

You’re offended that hinterland southwesterners cook with ogiri?
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by YungMillionaire: 2:14am On Apr 13, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Op is just smoking kwale weed. The food is common to nearly all tribes.

Limiting to Igbos and Yoruba is an arrant nonsense. Igbos has no connection or root with Yorubas.

All these food spread due to movement and one Nigeria them project.

Mumu. If you don't know Yorubas, Igbos and Igalas have the SAME root
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Fulanization: 3:45am On Apr 13, 2020
[s]
scholes0:
Jollof rice - General
Moi-moi (mai-mai, moin-moin) also called Olele or Oole - Yoruba
Egusi soup (Obe Egusi)- Yoruba
Akara - Yoruba

Other shared foods and(or) snacks.
Booli - Yoruba
Guguru & Epa - Yoruba
Suya - Hausa
Dodo - Yoruba
Pepper soup - Dunno (Anyone who knows?)
Puffpuff/chinchin/Buns - General
Garri - Only God knows. Na thisone dey hard me pass.
Pekere (fried plantain chips) - Yoruba
Zobo - Hausa
Eko/Agidi - Yoruba and Igbo
Akamu/Ogi/Koko - Likely General.
Kunu - Hausa
Kulu-Kuli - Yoruba/Nupe/Hausa
Palm sap (wine) - Common drink in the south and center.

I don't know if these ones are general or regional. Or regional transitioning into General.
Kokoro - Yoruba
Abacha - Igbo
Donkwa - Hausa
Aadun - Yoruba
Alewa - Hausa
Baba dudu/Chesbin Mallam/Alagbon - Yoruba/Hausa
Ube - Likely Igbo/Eastern NNigeria.
Asun - Yoruba
Nkwobi - Igbo
Ukwa - Igbo

Apparently all Nigerian major groups have contributed substantially to our general cuisines.

[/s]
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Fulanization: 3:47am On Apr 13, 2020
Probz:

I’m Igbo, you silly boy.

MelesZenawi is not Igbo
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 7:23am On Apr 13, 2020
Fulanization:

MelesZenawi is not Igbo
We have heard you...next
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Nobody: 7:26am On Apr 13, 2020
YungMillionaire:

Mumu. If you don't know Yorubas, Igbos and Igalas have the SAME root

Not only root but taproot.

There is no need replying an empty statement that has no substance....The phrase is so empty. Igbos and Yorubas has nothing in common.

Any one writing such is a fairly and at same time bloody lie.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Not only root but taproot.

There is no need replying an empty statement that has no substance....The phrase is so empty. Igbos and Yorubas has nothing in common.

Any one writing such is a fairly and at same time bloody lie.

There’s no need making empty statements when you ain’t got nothing to back it up with.

Igbo and Yoruba share a distant relation. Fact. End.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by TerraCotta(m): 1:35pm On Apr 14, 2020
Probz, Egusi is described as the seeds of the Bara plant in Samuel Ajayi Crowther’s “Vocabulary of the Yoruba Language” (published in 1843). Contrary to some of the conjecture I’ve read here, the bara melon that egusi is derived from is a native West African plant like our yam tuber and is likely to be one of those ancestral foods eaten by our ancestors in our region for thousands of years.

By that logic, it is likely to be a shared inheritance and arguing over who “owns” it makes as much sense as arguing over who owns water (“omi“ in Yoruba; “mmiri” in Igbo). I trust Nigerians though—there will still be arguments.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vocabulary_of_the_Yoruba_Language/NMINAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=A%20Grammar%20and%20Vocabulary%20of%20the%20Yoruba%20Language%20Samuel%20Ajayi%20Crowther&pg=RA1-PA76&printsec=frontcover

The previous poster who described Jollof rice as Senegalese food (Wolof rice) is correct.

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by nlPoster: 2:04pm On Apr 14, 2020
The fact is most Yorubas cant be bothered when people start jumping up with wild claims of this or that.

Unless the problem reaches a certain level which requires attention, then they get involved.

Note, I said most, not all.

I still dont see why somebody or some group of people would take it on themselves to create arguments over which tribe "owns" Nigerian soup or foods ?

As it is, I am very certain any food mentioned and disputed is owned by Yoruba, BECAUSE Yorubas are the most conservative tribe in Nigeria .

Foods with shared inheritance are garri, etc since cassava was not originally indigenous to Africa.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Armaggedon: 12:27pm On Apr 15, 2020
Probz:

I don’t know which side you’re from but I think you need to let go of this superiority attitude and learn that Igbo and Yoruba share foods and certain other cultural marks because we have the same ancestral root and the former have been influenced by Bini and Igala in certain parts of igboland.
Learn when to say "I" instead of "we"

No one gave you the mandate to make statements on behalf of Igbos.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Armaggedon: 1:01pm On Apr 15, 2020
Probz:
There’s quite a few foods which more than one tribe eats as more or less indigenous food (Igbo and Yoruba shared foods in particular) but who’s willing to bet the ultimate origin of the following?

Jollof rice
Moi-moi (mai-mai, moin-moin)
Egusi soup
Akara

Puff-puff
Chin-chin
Nigerian buns
Fried rice

Jollof rice is not of Nigerian origin. It is also doubtful whether the delicacy moi moi his Nigerian origin. But the name moyin moyin is Yoruba just the way some Igbo's call it elele.

Egusi soup is Igbo not Yoruba or any other origin for that matter. Its originally pronounced egwusi but egusi is the anglicized version of the name. Ironically while some Yoruba people reject the foreign egusi name some claim the name and the delicacy, even attempting to yorubanize the name to elegunsi.

Akara name is Igbo but I doubt the origin of the delicacy. Beans cake is known world over.

puff puff, chin chin fried rice etc are foreign delicacies. I doubt you are Igbo and wonder whether you want to know the origins of the delicacies or want to make two people one with a shared history myth.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:24pm On Apr 15, 2020
Armaggedon:
Learn when to say "I" instead of "we"

No one gave you the mandate to make statements on behalf of Igbos.

I’m Igbo myself.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:26pm On Apr 15, 2020
Armaggedon:

Jollof rice is not of Nigerian origin. It is also doubtful whether the delicacy moi moi his Nigerian origin. But the name moyin moyin is Yoruba just the way some Igbo's call it elele.

Egusi soup is Igbo not Yoruba or any other origin for that matter. Its originally pronounced egwusi but egusi is the anglicized version of the name. Ironically while some Yoruba people reject the foreign egusi name some claim the name and the delicacy, even attempting to yorubanize the name to elegunsi.

Akara name is Igbo but I doubt the origin of the delicacy. Beans cake is known world over.

puff puff, chin chin fried rice etc are foreign delicacies. I doubt you are Igbo and wonder whether you want to know the origins of the delicacies or want to make two people one with a shared history myth.

You doubting whether I’m igbo or not doesn’t make a difference to me. Especially not when the origins of these foods are widely contested across the board. I’m just not as biased and fervently patriotic as some Igbos are.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Armaggedon: 1:44pm On Apr 15, 2020
Probz:

You doubting whether I’m igbo or not doesn’t make a difference to me. Especially not when the origins of these foods are widely contested across the board. I’m just not as biased and fervently patriotic as some Igbos are.
Yea. however "widely contested" they are doesn't take away their origin. After all you can't take away people's right to lay claim to anything they admire, even when they know the true origin.

Thanks for admitting you're not as patriotic as an Igbo should be. That ends it.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:45pm On Apr 15, 2020
Armaggedon:
Yea. however "widely contested" they are doesn't take away their origin. After all you can't take away people's right to lay claim to anything they admire, even when they know the true origin.

Thanks for admitting you're not as patriotic as an Igbo should be. That ends it.

We don’t all have to be blindly loyal and as myopic as the typical Yoruba person is when it comes to acknowledging tribal similarities.

Where’s the unassailable evidence that akara and moi-moi are either Igbo or Yoruba? There aren’t any. That’s why it’s up for debate whether you choose to be nothing other than fervently patriotic or not.

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:49pm On Apr 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:
Jolof rice is from Senegal, originated by the ethnic group that has given its name to the dish (the Wolof/Jolof people).

You people can keep fighting over the rest. It's fun to watch these fights.

And anyone who puts the rest up for debate is too detribalised or not patriotic enough clearly. According to some people.

1 Like

Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Armaggedon: 1:52pm On Apr 15, 2020
Probz:

We don’t all have to be blindly loyal and as myopic as the typical Yoruba person is when it comes to acknowledging tribal similarities.

Where’s the unassailable evidence that akara and moi-moi are either Igbo or Yoruba? There aren’t any. That’s why it’s up for debate whether you choose to be nothing other than fervently patriotic or not.
so if there isn't evidence it means they are shared Igbo's and Yoruba's ONLY. Why don't you also acknowledge the "tribal" similarity among Nigerians since every Nigerian is familiar with these food instead of your obsession with Igbo.
Re: What Ethnic Group In Nigeria Ultimately Owns These Shared Foods? by Probz(m): 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
Armaggedon:
so if there isn't evidence it means they are shared Igbo's and Yoruba's ONLY. Why don't you also acknowledge the "tribal" similarity among Nigerians since every Nigerian is familiar with these food instead of your obsession with Igbo.

Other tribes are familiar with ogiri. That doesn’t mean it’s natively used or at least called that name by anyone other than Igbos and Yorubas. Broad familiarity because of one Nigeria doesn’t mean just any tribe can lay claim to certain foods.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Holi-yoruba Tattoos (not Safe For Work) / Itsekiri Is Yoruba- CAN President / As Prof Okolo, V C University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Gives Out Daughter In Marriage

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.