Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game (28538 Views)

What Clemens Westerhof Told Eguavoen About Super Eagles / Clemens Westerhof Celebrates His 81st Birthday (Pictures) / Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Nwaonyishi69: 6:53pm On Apr 12, 2020
Until you meet in court. That will be some work for bald or grey headed lawyers, so you will remit back some of your loots. Thanks, in advance.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Deyemz(f): 7:19pm On Apr 12, 2020
Ok
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Bruno3000(m): 7:23pm On Apr 12, 2020
Abdulrahman1000:
I wish all our lovely christain brothers and sisters all over the world happy easter celebration, may Almighty God gives you the chance and opportunities to experience and witness many more of it in your lifetime with plentious wealths and uncountable success, happiness and blessings.. u will never lack all what you want in ur entire lifetime amen
Thanks guy. I always knew there were good Muslims like u. God bless u.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 12, 2020
Bruno3000:
Thanks guy. I always knew there were good Muslims like u. God bless u.
Amen thanks for that
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by bekpo(m): 7:31pm On Apr 12, 2020
That match remain evergreen in my memory! I tarry all night with my dad and entire family to watch that match. It was indeed heart breaking.
The ref was completely against Nigeria. The technical approach to d game as well especially d substitute. It was indeed a dream cut short.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by jaxxy(m): 7:39pm On Apr 12, 2020
Bonfrere is just a wannabe.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by seangy4konji: 7:50pm On Apr 12, 2020
I like both men but Weaterhof:i like better...

I remember him growing up... Correct coach MA.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Thetruthshallse(m): 8:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
This is a low blow from bonfrere Jo. Why after all these years you are bringing this to light?
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by chocboi78(m): 8:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Ewo..so he is still alive and jo was saying this
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by liverpool72(m): 8:49pm On Apr 12, 2020
femi4:
losing nations cup on home soil to Cameroon.....Is that a good record?
wining Olympic football game final in Atlanta is that not a gud record ode.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Janosky: 9:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
tiswell:
There was rumour then after the match that it was sold to Italy, Bonfere Jo only confirmed it recwntly
I have ZERO PROOF to back Bonfrere Jo's claim.
But,the manner Nigeria lost that world cup match to Italy was controversial.
Remember, the match was played in a city populated by Americans with Italian ancestry , where Italians dey,the Mob dey.....

Let me give one classic example,Afcon 1994 final,Nig vs Zambia....
The players then revealed Bonfrere Jo insisted Amuneke Emmanuel be brought into the first team line up for the match as a joker (a dark horse) unknown to the Zambian players since Yekini and other attackers would be closely marked
.... Amuneke scored twice... The rest is history.

Why did Westerhoof keep (two jokers ),hot and deadly strikers (Victor ikpeba and Efan Ekoku ) on the bench after the injury to Amokachi & Amuneke?
Ikpeba and Efan Ekoku were among the best African goal scorers in Europe at that time...
Both guys could have seized that golden opportunity to make great impact on the pitch as Amuneke had done at Tunisia"94.

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by papagiddy(m): 9:33pm On Apr 12, 2020
Abdulrahman1000:
I wish all our lovely christain brothers and sisters all over the world happy easter celebration, may Almighty God gives you the chance and opportunities to experience and witness many more of it in your lifetime with plentious wealths and uncountable success, happiness and blessings.. u will never lack all what you want in ur entire lifetime amen
Thanks bro Rahman God bless you
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Kalubolt(m): 9:50pm On Apr 12, 2020
tiswell:
There was rumour then after the match that it was sold to Italy, Bonfere Jo only confirmed it recwntly
Go and rewatch the match, there was nothing like match been sold. We were beaten fair and square and inexperienced cost us

2 Likes

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Kalubolt(m): 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2020
I support Westerhoff, let him sue Bonfrere sorry ass. A match we lost fair and square due to inexperienced from our players. Bonfrere should just shut up

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by kbbanj10(m): 10:05pm On Apr 12, 2020
pyyxxaro:

As at when they play that match , u still de suck feeding bottle grin
Nor be u de wear dirty mother care pant de run our compound

So which eye u con take watch am undecided
oh yes. Frankly
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by femi4: 10:10pm On Apr 12, 2020
liverpool72:
wining Olympic football game final in Atlanta is that not a gud record ode.
Oponu, Olympic is an U23 tournament not part of Fifa/CAF calendar.

Hey folly! Last time I checked, that Olympic gold didn't add to Nigeria position on Fifa ranking that year

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by darediamond(m): 2:21am On Apr 13, 2020
KINGTELLER:
I later rewatched the match, Eguavon messed up the game, there was a time when we had clear chance of scoring 2nd goal, the so called Eguavon instead of passing o

the ball, foolishly hit the ball far wide over the post
You saw that too? It was done on purpose.
Othe chances came to but they refuse to score.
Back then I was actually wondering what was going on. Why are they refusing to convert the chances. Hmmm now I know when B. Jo opened up recently.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by grandstar(m): 2:30am On Apr 13, 2020
Ghostmode2two:
Sue his ass asap and also that Taribo West that spoke dust the other day.

No one will sue him, no one! It is his word against them. Nigerians will believe him and that's what counts. Any court victory is a pyrrhic victory.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Nobody: 4:50am On Apr 13, 2020
pyyxxaro:

As at when they play that match , u still de suck feeding bottle grin

Nor be u de wear dirty mother care pant de run our compound

So which eye u con take watch am undecided
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Dpaulie(m): 5:31am On Apr 13, 2020
tiswell:
Don’t forget in the late 80s and 90s when I started watching Nigerian matches, any match we lose was always tagged ‘sold’

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Torg77: 5:54am On Apr 13, 2020
oshozondii:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/04/clemens-westerhof-ill-sue-bonfrere-to-clear-my-name/

The exploits of that USA 94 team can never be replicated..defensive geniuses,midfield marauders and striking strikers

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by mbhs139(m): 6:55am On Apr 13, 2020
fairfora:
You don't seem to understand the mess going on in the game of football. Was the former FIFA boss not a good man? grin the more you look, the less you see.

I think this is the time God wanted to expose Westerhof. That USA '94 pained me to the narrow. I couldn't sleep that night. Many people died of HBP. It's a moment I'd never forget because we were to qualified to lose that match. It beat millions of Nigerians' imagination how Roberto Bagio struck a few minutes into the end of the rigorous match. Westerhof was supposed to make a meaningful change but he kept quiet.

1994, I was in SS1, so you couldn't have called me a kid, because as a matter of fact my mates where in SS3.

Now, back to the matter. How could anyone who watched that match claim that it was sold? How? If it was actually sold as claimed by Jo, and which you believed, who amongst the players can we hold responsible. One thing is that you can't sell a football match without the complicity of one or two players.

Is it Oliseh who couldn't clear the ball off the Italian player's leg, because he was on yellow card already, or was it Eguhavoen who fell on his opponent from behind to earn the Italians a penalty? Or can we attribute it to goal keeper Peter Rufai who couldn't keep the two goals.

My friend, that match, in my view, was no wear anything being compromised. Westerhof's game plan collapsed the moment, was it Amokachi or Amuneke, was injured and substituted. And that wasn't a coincidence, the Italians actually served us our dose, of taking dangerous players out of the game, usually and clinically done by Ben Iroha who plays 3, left side of the defence.

So, in my view, that match was not sold and the players did their best. As a matter of fact, it was one moment of lost of concentration. Westerhof had instructed them to be kicking the ball high into the Italians half of the field. But our boys (or were they men) were catching fún. Okocha was dribbling everybody like say na him bring them come field. At the end, see where we were.

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 13, 2020
mbhs139:

1994, I was in SS1, so you couldn't have called me a kid, because as a matter of fact my mates where in SS3.

Now, back to the matter. How could anyone who watched that match claim that it was sold? How? If it was actually sold as claimed by Jo, and which you believed, who amongst the players can we hold responsible. One thing is that you can't sell a football match without the complicity of one or two players.

Is it Oliseh who couldn't clear the ball off the Italian player's leg, because he was on yellow card already, or was it Eguhavoen who fell on his opponent from behind to earn the Italians a penalty? Or can we attribute it to goal keeper Peter Rufai who couldn't keep the two goals.

My friend, that match, in my view, was no wear anything being compromised. Westerhof's game plan collapsed the moment, was it Amokachi or Amuneke, was injured and substituted. And that wasn't a coincidence, the Italians actually served us our dose, of taking dangerous players out of the game, usually and clinically done by Ben Iroha who plays 3, left side of the defence.

So, in my view, that match was not sold and the players did their best. As a matter of fact, it was one moment of lost of concentration. Westerhof had instructed them to be kicking the ball high into the Italians half of the field. But our boys (or were they men) were catching fún. Okocha was dribbling everybody like say na him bring them come field. At the end, see where we were.
grin. The Okocha you mentioned made me laugh. I remember very well. I don finish school cert then, awaiting my admission. Meanwhile, Westerhof was asked to do a replacement but he said his boys were in good form, knowing fully well how critical that match was to us. Oliseh needed replacement too, among a couple of other players, but he refused. Anyway, let's see how far Jo could go in providing proofs should the case eventually land in court.
Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by liverpool72(m): 9:47am On Apr 13, 2020
femi4:
Oponu, Olympic is an U23 tournament not part of Fifa/CAF calendar.

Hey folly! Last time I checked, that Olympic gold didn't add to Nigeria position on Fifa ranking that year
am sure when Nigeria won that year u didn't chk if it was on FIFA calendar year or not u were busy celebrating up and down, monkey tail.

1 Like

Re: Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 13, 2020
Listen to Amokachi in this interview. Why did Westerhof WANT to play Italy at all costs. We could have played Romania instead. Listen to Amokachi here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xazGaQkTICg?t=120

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Birmingham 2022: Tobi Amusan Wins Gold In Women's 100m Hurdles Event / Lionel Messi Defies Sir Alex Ferguson's Theory In The Messi Vs Ronaldo Debate / Obafemi Martins Shows Off His Mercedes Sports Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.