Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers (69980 Views)

Nigerians Are Taking Loans To Buy Food As 68% Of Households Suffer - NBS / Choice Of Food Stuff Amid Coronavirus Lockdown / Huge Python Caught In Abiriba, Abia. Butchered For Food As Villagers Gather (Pho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Chuky7(m): 11:31am On Apr 13, 2020
To prevent further dumping, farming groups are trying everything to find places to send the excess milk — even lobbying pizza chains to increase the amount of cheese on every slice.

lol ....the bolded seems aggressive tho

anything to survive right
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by smart0041: 11:39am On Apr 13, 2020
There are strict regulations on food processing industry in the US, mostly vegetables and diary products have little shelf life, not worthy even for the poor and homeless, that's a country that values life..
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by henribj(m): 11:43am On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

There are definitely better ways of handling d situation instead of destroying d food

There is no better way of handling the food simply because the food is excess and there is no storage facility, the available storage facilities are already filled up. These are food being produced on a daily basis in very very huge quantities, please tell me which storage facility will accommodate all those food? And don't tell me about shipping to foreign countries because how many of the ships have cooling containers in them to preserve the natural food? Also bear in mind that these are perishables, they are not grains or processed food that can be preserved for a long time.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by mechanics(m): 11:46am On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Can they find a way of importing them to Africa instead of destroying them?

With the way things will start going this week, NCDC will start getting their confirmed cases mixed up, thinking that the deaths recorded are COVID-19, not knowing that majority of the deaths are from HUNGER-20.
And we know that when one is severely hungry, it can manifest with different symptoms. Too much hunger can show the combination of symptoms of Ebola Corona and HIV in just one manifestation.
They even said exporting the produce won't work since most countries are cutting down their budgets, and you know we don't have problems of food.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 11:48am On Apr 13, 2020
henribj:

There is no better way of handling the food simply because the food is excess and there is no storage facility, the available storage facilities are already filled up. These are food being produced on a daily basis in very very huge quantities, please tell me which storage facility will accommodate all those food? And don't tell me about shipping to foreign countries because how many of the ships have cooling containers in them to preserve the natural food? Also bear in mind that these are perishables, they are not grains or processed food that can be preserved for a long time.

What is d shelf life of d foods like eggs and milk being destroyed? When were they harvested?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by afribabe: 11:51am On Apr 13, 2020
ProfDview1:
Is buhari mad? How can he tell farmers to destroy food when we are hungry here... What kind of useless president is this na?

Buhari has been known to always destroy things sha.

His herdmens destroyed our farms and the little we cud even harvest, buhari told them to destroy again.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
when did Buhari become the president of US?? Na wa o
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by henribj(m): 11:55am On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

What is d shelf life of d foods like eggs and milk being destroyed? When were they harvested?

Hmm how do I explain this? It's about the quantity and not when it was harvested.
Each of these producers is producing items which run into thousands, now imagine grouping all the producers and their products together, the products will then run into hundreds of thousands, so how do you transport such quantity, especially when there are no consumers for it? Everyone is told to stay indoors.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 11:59am On Apr 13, 2020
yeyeosoronga:

Their government doesn't have time for that right now. They are busy with the virus killing thousands of their citizens daily. 2000 people died within 24 hours, 2 days ago. I've not checked the figures in the last 24 hours yet.
Their farmers are not happy their food is wasting, their govt is not happy either that they're unable to get enough food to all their citizens , yet you expect them to remember to donate food to some african nation thousands of miles away, with all the logistics involved in this pandemic?
If they can do that, that means they wouldn't have trouble with supplying their own citizens with food, because I can assure you there are many starving people in the US that would also need that food."

U said all this but u weren't able to answer d questions I asked. But am glad u made this comment:

"Their farmers are not happy their food is wasting, their govt is not happy either that they're unable to get enough food to all their citizens"

and yet u say:

"Their government doesn't have time for that right now."

Did d poor people u referred to just suddenly show up? Is fighting corona just about fighting d disease and then ignoring hunger? If it was, why is d US govt putting together a stimulus package for its citizens?

Is it all d states in d US that have corona or that are being strained by d virus?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 12:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
henribj:

Hmm how do I explain this? It's about the quantity and not when it was harvested.
Each of these producers is producing items which run into thousands, now imagine grouping all the producers and their products together, the products will then run into hundreds of thousands, so how do you transport such quantity, especially when there are no consumers for it? Everyone is told to stay indoors.

U still haven't d questions I asked
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by henribj(m): 12:09pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

U still haven't d questions I asked

I really don't know much about agriculture and farm produce, but I think eggs have shelf life of about 2 weeks minimum? Depending on storage and weather/cooling etc, as for raw liquid milk the shelf life should be about 24-48 hours before it sours except cooling and storage can be provided. #justmyopinion and I stand to be corrected.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 12:19pm On Apr 13, 2020
henribj:

I really don't know much about agriculture and farm produce, but I think eggs have shelf life of about 2 weeks minimum? Depending on storage and weather/cooling etc, as for raw liquid milk the shelf life should be about 24-48 hours before it sours except cooling and storage can be provided. #justmyopinion and I stand to be corrected.

If u don't know much of agriculture & u think eggs has a shelf life of "2 weeks minimum", then what's d essence of ur argument?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by luluman: 12:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:

With the way things will start going this week, NCDC will start getting their confirmed cases mixed up, thinking that the deaths recorded are COVID-19, not knowing that majority of the deaths are from HUNGER-20.
And we know that when one is severely hungry, it can manifest with different symptoms. Too much hunger can show the combination of symptoms of Ebola Corona and HIV in just one manifestation.
You must be Igbo.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by luluman: 12:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
young man.

Face the reality and stop projecting the non existing ego of our continent.
Igbo spoted.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by henribj(m): 12:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

If u don't know much of agriculture & u think eggs has a shelf life of "2 weeks minimum", then what's d essence of ur argument?

The essence of my argument is regardless of the shelf life of whatever they produce, there is not enough storage facility so therefore most of the produce will have to be destroyed at this time.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by luluman: 12:26pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Never knew Africa is your surname.

What an irony of a monicker!
So shameless of you. Better shut up already.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 12:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
henribj:

The essence of my argument is regardless of the shelf life of whatever they produce, there is not enough storage facility so therefore most of the produce will have to be destroyed at this time.

How can u make a sound argument on a subject that u acknowledged u don't no much about?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by ehinmowo: 12:33pm On Apr 13, 2020
GreatResearcher1:
Stop dragging Africa in ur mud

Are you ok? Is Africa not mud itself? A continent of 1.2 billion people with GDP of $1.1tr (less than half the GDP of German with population of 98m)
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by yeyeosoronga: 12:39pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

U said all this but u weren't able to answer d questions I asked. But am glad u made this comment:

"Their farmers are not happy their food is wasting, their govt is not happy either that they're unable to get enough food to all their citizens"

and yet u say:

"Their government doesn't have time for that right now."

Did d poor people u referred to just suddenly show up? Is fighting corona just about fighting d disease and then ignoring hunger? If it was, why is d US govt putting together a stimulus package for its citizens?

Is it all d states in d US that have corona or that are being strained by d virus?

In answer to the previous questions you asked, the answers are clear as day, didnt know I had to spell it out: Milk cannot last more than 24 hours without been processed. There's nobody to process the milk.
Eggs need to be distributed as soon as possible to make room for new eggs that will be laid the next day. There's nowhere to store new eggs laid even though expiry dates of eggs are long.That's simply not possible because cornoa has disrupted everything.
Stimulus package is different from you asking the government to start delving into the distribution of farm produce. They've never been involved in that before, and now is the wrongest time to ask them to get involved, because some Africans don't want it to waste
Farmers have always discarded farm products not used in the past, but not in this proportion.
Many struggling people in America would appreciate these farm produce, but a lot of logistics are involved and they cannot access it due to the distance of these farms
If your African nations are so keen to have the produce, they should make arrangements themselves to go get them. You can task your government to go and make arrangements to get eggs and milk from America.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by yeyeosoronga: 12:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

Are d milk and eggs being destroyed yet to be harvested? Which movement restriction are u referring? Is it Nigeria that went to China to collect test kits from jack ma or it was jack ma who made arrangements to deliver at our doorstep? How are relief materials distributed? [/b]Is it d beneficiary that goes looking for relief materials or is d benefactor that looks for ways to get it out to people?[b]

You haven't been offered any of these products, but you're the one begging for them. The onus is on you to look for ways to get them. They don't want to be your benefactor, they don't owe you.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by suremanpatriot: 12:51pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:

Hunger dimishes immune system and allow even malaria to do damage.They should expand their visual chart and separate death caused by covid fr hunger deaths. By this analysis you see that covid doesnt survive in Africa and AFRICA NOW BECOMS THE SAFEST OVERSEAS FOR THE WORLDundecided
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by henribj(m): 1:13pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

How can u make a sound argument on a subject that u acknowledged u don't no much about?

you win.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by pacespot(m): 1:18pm On Apr 13, 2020
I often hear news of USA burning their foods, are they really burning these foods for real as said, imagine the milks that are badly needed in Africa

I heard an average USA cattle can produce as much as 25 litres of milk per day compared to the rest of the world which produces 6 litres.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by chaloskyx: 1:22pm On Apr 13, 2020
Wicked people they could easily have sent it to Africa at a discounted price if they cant give it to us free but as usual politics they than shout democracy human right etc but the honest truth is American would never like to see any nation doing better than she is.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by planetx: 1:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
9jaDoomCountry:
They chose to destroy instead of giving it out to people now that people are not working and finding little or nothing to eat. Op lies no go kee you o.

Nonsense post.
Have some common sense, the problem is not the average American not having food to eat because there are still tons of food in the grocery stores. The problem is the farmers not able to sell because all the schools, restaurants etc are closed down.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by pacespot(m): 1:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:

We might have so many problems, but for now, food shortages isn't one.
If it's imported, will it be shared for free? Can an average Nigerian afford imported food?
Everything is not about rubbishing ourselves.

Nigerian government can bear the cost of importing the foods especially the milks. I wonder why USA destroy the milk, they can process these milks and sell them overseas. But I think the cost of doing the processing is a big issue for USA, cost of production is very high in USA, farmers cannot process their foods at a fairly competitive cost in which they can sell them in foreign markets. USA market is over-inflated
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by yeyeosoronga: 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

Those are daily products.
Their eggs are nor manufactured, but laid by chickens everyday , same as in Nigeria. Perhaps after the lockdown visit poultry in Nigeria and see how they work.
Milks are also produced everyday by cows, otherwise they become engorged and in pain. The farmers are even still trying milking the cows despite reduced hands to do so.
Video of how cows are milked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qzelz4ixbk
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 1:42pm On Apr 13, 2020
bamidelee:

And you're displaying you had no one to give the home training while growing up.
I have your time
why won’t you have the time.
Who doesn’t know that this is your only source of enjoyment, since living at the motor park shouting agege, ikorodu mile 12..... has been suspended for now.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by pacespot(m): 1:42pm On Apr 13, 2020
todugo:
If only these agricultural companies had the interest for humanity what they should have done was to make contacts with international humanitarian organisation to help ship and transport those produce to other poor country instead of wasting it like that, But because they are after profit and price stabilization they preferred to destroy and waste them.HUMAN GOVERNMENT HAS FAILED.

And they will share the news to us that they have destroyed a large portion of their foods, who cares what they do with their foods. Capitalists are the antithesis of humanity, anything that does not bring profits in a waste to them.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by sonnie10: 1:43pm On Apr 13, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:

Then you never took note of my initial response. I was responding to someone advocating that the food be shipped to Africa.
As much as they are dependent variables, they are still different. If our poverty level won't let us afford local food, then we don't need a soothsayer to tell us that we can't afford foreign either.
This your logic is somehow. If we cannot afford local food, it doesn’t meant we cannot collect foreign food when presented with the option.
All we would need to do is to line up with our pans in hands and wait to be served once the foods are offloaded from the port. It’s that simple!
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by planetx: 1:44pm On Apr 13, 2020
Why would they donate the food to Africa when in their mind that will lead to Africa's population explosion, or do you think they want your population to grow in this era of global warming. You people don't even know the kind of wicked world you live in.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by OlujobaSamuel: 1:55pm On Apr 13, 2020
sonnie10:

This your logic is somehow. If we cannot afford local food, it doesn’t meant we cannot collect foreign food when presented with the option.
All we would need to do is to line up with our pans in hands and wait to be served once the foods are offloaded from the port. It’s that simple!
Lol, how person wey no get fund wan reach port to go collect ration wey no fit last for half a week?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guys! See The Lunch I Wasted 1700 For. Abeg, Ill Rather Cook My Meals Henceforth / How To Prepare Stew / The Big Rat My Dog Caught Overnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.