Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers (69919 Views)

Nigerians Are Taking Loans To Buy Food As 68% Of Households Suffer - NBS / Choice Of Food Stuff Amid Coronavirus Lockdown / Huge Python Caught In Abiriba, Abia. Butchered For Food As Villagers Gather (Pho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by olumide4christ: 1:56pm On Apr 13, 2020
Sunnyobums:
Reminds me of the song we sing during lunch break at school then, ''some have food but cannot eat, some can eat but have no food'' the year 2020 is indeed a mysterious one, God please heal the world.

Whether we like it or not, God is sending a message to the world...the end times are here...all the signs are glaring.
God will always be God and man will always be whom he is.. a mere man!

Some will understand the message & be prepared like the boys scouts, many will not understand to their detriment!

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 13, 2020
planetx:
Have some common sense, the problem is not the average American not having food to eat because there are still tons of food in the grocery stores. The problem is the farmers not able to sell because all the schools, restaurants etc are closed down.

If there is any senseless one here it is you.

You did not see long queue of people waiting to receive food. If there are more places for such distribution will there be such long queue?

Instead of giving out the foods they chose to destroy it because there is no buyer, can you see your sense?

Fabricators of falsehood.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by pacespot(m): 1:59pm On Apr 13, 2020
bamasite2:
Bros, even the country throwing the food away is hungry....they just got no choice.

You must milk the cows, the layers must lay eggs, the vegetables must be either harvested or destroyed!

The storage facilities are filled and the produce were made for large scale immediate consumption. But the restaurant chains are closed and the final consumers are under lock-down

The final consumers are under lockdown but their stomachs are not under lockdown. I think the problem in USA is that the food supply chain is broken, foods are perishable commodities so there is no way they can get them to the final consumers as quickly as needed. Most of these foods being destroyed are meant for exports and to restaurant chains which are mostly closed now.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by sonnie10: 2:04pm On Apr 13, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:

Lol, how person wey no get fund wan reach port to go collect ration wey no fit last for half a week?
I have a solution. They could as well drop the food at our doorsteps. The only problem is that they are some who are homeless and don’t even have doorsteps.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by olumide4christ: 2:20pm On Apr 13, 2020
redsun:
There are millions of hungry Americans that can barely feed themselves under normal circumstances, why can't the government set up an emergency supply chain to distribute the foods freely to them? Oh, I remember, it will disrupt the GDP records and make the country look like an anti-capitalist country. They still can't see that the time for the American dream is over and that it is time to face reality and reach out to others for the survival of the human race.

Unfortunately, some of your fellow Nigerians will support USA till death despite all you have said
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by OlujobaSamuel: 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2020
sonnie10:

I have a solution. They could as well drop the food at our doorsteps. The only problem is that they are some who are homeless and don’t even have doorsteps.
Na naija we dey oo my bro.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by bamasite2: 3:24pm On Apr 13, 2020
pacespot:

The final consumers are under lockdown but their stomachs are not under lockdown. I think the problem in USA is that the food supply chain is broken, foods are perishable commodities so there is no way they can get them to the final consumers as quickly as needed. Most of these foods being destroyed are meant for exports and to restaurant chains which are mostly closed now.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 13, 2020
I hope these our people will not tell me to destroy my over 200tubers of yam when they are mature o. Because I ready to hawk those yams in the whole of Nigeria until I sell each one of them finish. I dy mad to throway my farm produce ? Mtcheeewww. Order for your own now infact.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by ajl: 4:06pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Can they find a way of importing them to Africa instead of destroying them?

With the way things will start going this week, NCDC will start getting their confirmed cases mixed up, thinking that the deaths recorded are COVID-19, not knowing that majority of the deaths are from HUNGER-20.
And we know that when one is severely hungry, it can manifest with different symptoms. Too much hunger can show the combination of symptoms of Ebola Corona and HIV in just one manifestation.

You can see that many of our so called billionaires are mentally lazy aside from being wicked. Instead of throwing money that will be eventually stolen at the problem they could have organized themselves to buy such produce and distribute free to Nigerians. A gain at both ends.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by ajl: 4:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
olumide4christ:

Unfortunately, some of your fellow Nigerians will support USA till death despite all you have said

Dont mind the fellow. There are food banks across the cities in the US that you can go get free food. But the challenge as pointed out in the article is that they do not have resources to refrigerate or store such huge amount of food especially now. Problem is its going to cost money to distribute such perishables. The farmer can't bear the cost and surely the govt is too busy with Coronavirus now. Private individuals that are well to do should come out to fund this rather than all giving money to fund raisings. Yes there are still people that lack inspite of the food banks.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 4:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
luluman:
Igbo spoted.
Yeeko spotted ni!
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 4:38pm On Apr 13, 2020
yeyeosoronga:

Those are daily products.
Their eggs are nor manufactured, but laid by chickens everyday , same as in Nigeria. Perhaps after the lockdown visit poultry in Nigeria and see how they work.
Milks are also produced everyday by cows, otherwise they become engorged and in pain. The farmers are even still trying milking the cows despite reduced hands to do so.
Video of how cows are milked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qzelz4ixbk

U had to employ d use of YouTube to understand poultry business and how cows are milked yet u are asking me to visit a Nigerian poultry which invariably means that u might never have seen a poultry urself.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 4:40pm On Apr 13, 2020
yeyeosoronga:

You haven't been offered any of these products, but you're the one begging for them. The onus is on you to look for ways to get them. They don't want to be your benefactor, they don't owe you.

Did I say I was offered any of d products? I clearly don't see how what u said relates to d discussion except u just getting emotional
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 4:53pm On Apr 13, 2020
yeyeosoronga:

In answer to the previous questions you asked, the answers are clear as day, didnt know I had to spell it out: Milk cannot last more than 24 hours without been processed. There's nobody to process the milk.
Eggs need to be distributed as soon as possible to make room for new eggs that will be laid the next day. There's nowhere to store new eggs laid even though expiry dates of eggs are long.That's simply not possible because cornoa has disrupted everything.
Stimulus package is different from you asking the government to start delving into the distribution of farm produce. They've never been involved in that before, and now is the wrongest time to ask them to get involved, because some Africans don't want it to waste
Farmers have always discarded farm products not used in the past, but not in this proportion.
Many struggling people in America would appreciate these farm produce, but a lot of logistics are involved and they cannot access it due to the distance of these farms
If your African nations are so keen to have the produce, they should make arrangements themselves to go get them. You can task your government to go and make arrangements to get eggs and milk from America.

I see u exhibiting a lot of emotional trauma in ur comments because of d way u are getting unnecessarily personal about d issue.

Am a bit a loss with how u are trying to tie stimulus package & distribution of farm produce. When I read this: "They've never been involved in that before, and now is the wrongest time to ask them to get involved", I asked myself how u came d conclusion that "they have never been involved in that before" and who is asking who anything?

According to u:

"Many struggling people in America would appreciate these farm produce, but a lot of logistics are involved and they cannot access it due to the distance of these farms"

Is it d beneficiary's that will go to d farms to pick up these products? That's y I asked u, is it all d States in d US that are badly hit by d corona virus?

So if u say that "Farmers have always discarded farm products not used in the past", that means that there corona isn't an excuse because it has never really been in their culture not to waste unutilized farm produce
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
why won’t you have the time.
Who doesn’t know that this is your only source of enjoyment, since living at the motor park shouting agege, ikorodu mile 12..... has been suspended for now.
Like as if you know me well. That's what happened when your ashawo business is no more in thriving. You need to transfer aggression to anyone .

Get well soon
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 6:07pm On Apr 13, 2020
bamidelee:

Like as if you know me well. That's what happened when your ashawo business is no more in thriving. You need to transfer aggression to anyone .

Get well soon
Asewo business is done indoor. Can be done at my home or away at client’s home. Either way, Na still working from home. All it needs is sneaking out.

Unlike the agbero you are which can not be done from home.
I pity you sha. You can hold on, I will likely do a give away tonight
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by yeyeosoronga: 6:17pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexy2014:

U had to employ d use of YouTube to understand poultry business and how cows are milked yet u are asking me to visit a Nigerian poultry which invariably means that u might never have seen a poultry urself.

You obviously have unresolved issues..
I probably should have posted another link to show you how eggs from poultry is not "harvested" , but laid.
I attached a video so you would understand how milk is produced on a farm.
Anyway, I really hope you're able to shake off that feeling of entitlement you seem to have over the property of developed nations.
Good day.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by lexy2014: 7:32pm On Apr 13, 2020
yeyeosoronga:

You obviously have unresolved issues..
I probably should have posted another link to show you how eggs from poultry is not "harvested" , but laid.
I attached a video so you would understand how milk is produced on a farm.
Anyway, I really hope you're able to shake off that feeling of entitlement you seem to have over the property of developed nations.
Good day.

So after d eggs are laid, will d eggs take themselves out of d poultry? Am not really sure where u read anything about entitlement in my comment or did u just learn d word?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by seunlayi(m): 10:08pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Asewo business is done indoor. Can be done at my home or away at client’s home. Either way, Na still working from home. All it needs is sneaking out.

seems you are from ọsun state?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 13, 2020
Amotolongbo:

MC oluomo is a successful agbero, what he achieved, you can't achieve it ashewo business.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by persius555(m): 10:48am On Apr 14, 2020
Farki:

Farms and Food companies are not nationalized in most countries.

Whenever food production was nationalized like in China, Soviet Russia, Zimbabwe and Venezuela millions died of famine because the government officials had no clue how to mange the infrastructure and corruption.

Although even if we dismantle current governments people of similar ideology will group together to form their own types of government. This is because it's very easy for private entities to take advantage of people without any checks in place.

Get it. It's time like these that government needs to come in and coordinate essential duties.
No one is saying they should take full control, but play its policing role during times of crises like this.
They've always been the missing link even without the pandemic.

Food security and socio-economic insurance somehow goes hand in hand. As it is, the privately controlled system of food cultivation and distribution is failing before everyone's eyes not because they can't do their work but because they've been hampered by the lockdown imposed by the same government for everyone's good.

This is where government should step in temporarily
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by NordicMartins: 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2020
Are you An INVESTOR in NIGERIA
*LOOKING FOR THE MOST LUCRATIVE AND WEALTH FETCHING BUSINESS TO GO INTO?
Expecially during this period of Lockdown?
If YES!
THEN STOCKFISH BUSINESS IS YOURS TO INVEST IN.

NORDIC QUALITY SEAFOOD
we are the best sellers of quality stock-fish from norway:cod body, cod heads, haddock, tusk, saithe, neckbones, cod pieces, cod filet,fish pieces, pomo.
Sells are in wholesales(containers) and bags
WE HAVE WAREHOUSE IN NORWAY AND LAGOS:

INTERESTED BUYERS CONTACT US VIA:

+2348146688177(NIGERIA)

Calls/WhatsApp

Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 9:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
bamidelee:

MC oluomo is a successful agbero, what he achieved, you can't achieve it ashewo business.
Are you MC Oluomo?
You can’t succeed in the business, there is no success in your destiny.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 14, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Are you MC Oluomo?
You can’t succeed in the business, there is no success in your destiny.
Oluomo would pay the bills of ashewo, hope you know.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 9:51pm On Apr 14, 2020
bamidelee:

Oluomo would pay the bills of ashewo, hope you know.
are you Oluomo?
If you are not, get lost from spamming my mention.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 14, 2020
Amotolongbo:
are you Oluomo?
If you are not, get lost from spamming my mention.
That's the limit of your IQ, get life girl
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 7:32am On Apr 15, 2020
bamidelee:

That's the limit of your IQ, get life girl
see a bonobo talking about IQ here.
Be yourself. Nairaland MC Oluomo.
The real one is out there making his money in real life while this nairaland wannabe is here seeking attention
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 10:33am On Apr 15, 2020
seunlayi:
seems you are from ọsun state?
ya!

Why?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by seunlayi(m): 10:50am On Apr 15, 2020
Amotolongbo:
ya!

Why?

From Threads created by you; Osun related.

That is my state aha.
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 10:56am On Apr 15, 2020
seunlayi:

From Threads created by you; Osun related.

That is my state aha.
oh, I see.

grin
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by seunlayi(m): 10:58am On Apr 15, 2020
Amotolongbo:
oh, I see.

grin

Which town are you from?
Re: Lockdown: US Destroys Tons Of Food As Farmer Can’t Get Buyers by Amotolongbo(f): 11:06am On Apr 15, 2020
seunlayi:

, last visited shot 12 yrs ago.
Which town are you from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guys! See The Lunch I Wasted 1700 For. Abeg, Ill Rather Cook My Meals Henceforth / How To Prepare Stew / The Big Rat My Dog Caught Overnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.