Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? (1433 Views)

Who Poses More Danger: Messi Or Ronaldo? (With Photos) / No Messi Or Ronaldo In Champions League Final For First Time Since 2013 / Pay Me As High As Messi Or I Leave, Ronaldo Tells Madrid’s Bosses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Peak123: 7:56am On Apr 16, 2020
Messi has outscored Maradona in all departments statistically. For the Argentina national team, Messi has scored 55 goals in 113 international appearances (0.491 per game average)....see more

Full story: https://naijafootball.com/2020/04/16/whos-better-messi-or-maradona/

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by robosky02(m): 8:10am On Apr 16, 2020
Check the best

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by manuel4real(m): 8:53am On Apr 16, 2020
Cristiano Ronaldo undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by fergie001: 9:01am On Apr 16, 2020
Maradona trumps Messi

"Even if I played for a million years, I'd never come close to Maradona. Not that I'd want to anyway. He's the greatest there's ever been." (17/11/2013 ) —Lionel Messi

2 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Jokerman(m): 9:17am On Apr 16, 2020
Maradona has world cup, what does Messi have?

3 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by 12large1: 12:19pm On Apr 16, 2020
you cannot just negate what messi has achieved in the last 12 years because he dosen't have a world cup. world cup or not, Messi has totally surpassed Maradona in terms of goals scored, assists, Awards, freekicks scored, dribbles, shooting etc by people logic, the likes of grosso, zambrotta was better than maldini

3 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Beverlyjean(f): 1:04pm On Apr 16, 2020
12large1:
you cannot just negate what messi has achieved in the last 12 years because he dosen't have a world cup. world cup or not, Messi has totally surpassed Maradona in terms of goals scored, assists, Awards, freekicks scored, dribbles, shooting etc by people logic, the likes of grosso, zambrotta was better than maldini

U are a Nigerian...Argentines can't tell u the best naija player in history... Argentines still holds maradona as the greatest ever followed by mario kempes ... Because of u are a barca fan doesn't mean Argentines are barca fans too ... Aiyegbeni dwarf yekini for club football... But ask any Nigerian hu was the best ever striker in the national team and the first name will b rasheedi yekini ... Now imagine Everton fans telling Nigerian that aiyegbeni was a better striker than yekini...Messi should b compared to Alfredo Di Stefano

3 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by TangoPredict(f): 1:26pm On Apr 16, 2020
Maradona, check my signature for proof
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by fergie001: 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2020
Beverlyjean:

U are a Nigerian...Argentines can't tell u the best naija player in history... Argentines still holds maradona as the greatest ever followed by mario kempes ... Because of u are a barca fan doesn't mean Argentines are barca fans too ... Aiyegbeni dwarf yekini for club football... But ask any Nigerian hu was the best ever striker in the national team and the first name will b rasheedi yekini ... Now imagine Everton fans telling Nigerian that aiyegbeni was a better played than Yekini
You nailed it.

Many don't know that Mario Kempes was the highest goalscorer in the World Cup hosted and won by Argentina in 1978.
These are Argentina's two greatest.

Messi should b compared to Alfredo Di Stefano
Two club greats, and that's all.

You sabi jareh!

Below are pictures of both...Maradona for Barca V Kempes for Valencia (sometime between '82-'84).

3 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by fergie001: 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2020
@ghettokid1
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2020
Lionel Messi.

Olympic best player
Under 20 world cup best player
World cup golden ball
2x Copa America best player
12x Argentina best player
Highest goal scorer in Argentina history
Highest assits provided in Argentina history.
Best dribbler in Argentina history.

Maradona is great but don't ever compare him to Messi individual achievement, no footballer comes close.

1 Like

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ghettokid1(m): 4:57pm On Apr 16, 2020
fergie001:
@ghettokid1
Messi is undoubtfuly the best Don't ask me why
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by fergie001: 5:07pm On Apr 16, 2020
ghettokid1:

Messi is undoubtfuly the best
Don't ask me why
In Barcelona....YES

Tell your brothers, to allow me post topic nah.....since 10pm on Tuesday. cheesy
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ghettokid1(m): 5:33pm On Apr 16, 2020
fergie001:

In Barcelona....YES

Tell your brothers, to allow me post topic nah.....since 10pm on Tuesday. cheesy
Are u seeing something like pls wait for some minutes before submiting this post our server is overwhelmed
Fergie001
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 8:07am On Apr 17, 2020
This is so difficult!

On an individual talent level, I'd say they are both at par and play similarly.

From a national team contribution perspective, Maradona was better. He won a WC with Argentina, while Messi could only get to the final. However, I think Maradona had better teammates in Argentina than Messi, as they had won the WC without Maradona just 8 years before.

From a club perspective, Messi was better as he has won several club trophies that Maradona has never won. However, in the same vein, he had better teammates than Maradona clubwise.

I'd conclude that they are equals. Two top players who in their prime, have been bettered than no other player in football history.

1 Like

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Jokerman(m): 11:03am On Apr 17, 2020
ThierryJay:
This is so difficult!

From a national team contribution perspective, Maradona was better. He won a WC with Argentina, while Messi could only get to the final. However, I think Maradona had better teammates in Argentina than Messi, as they had won the WC without Maradona just 8 years before.

From a club perspective, Messi was better as he has won several club trophies that Maradona has never won. However, in the same vein, he had better teammates than Maradona clubwise.

I'd conclude that they are equals. Two top players who in their prime, have been bettered than no other player in football history.

Barcelona fan... You have come again...

Pele was voted the greatest player of the century over maradona... Stop these delusions of yours na grin

1 Like

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 1:07pm On Apr 17, 2020
Jokerman:

Barcelona fan... You have come again...

Pele was voted the greatest player of the century over maradona... Stop these delusions of yours na grin

Mr Jokerman, it is you who has come again o.

To refresh your memory, Pele was voted by Fifa, Maradona was voted by football fans, hence FIFA had to give both players the award to share. Messi was not in the picture at the turn of the century when both Maradona and Pele shared the award. So if Pele is regarded as an equal to Maradona, and I and many others consider Messi equal to Maradona, then surely my statement that no player ever was better than Maradona or Messi in their prime is in order. You get my logic?

1 Like

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Jokerman(m): 1:19pm On Apr 17, 2020
ThierryJay:

Mr Jokerman, it is you who has come again o.

To refresh your memory, Pele was voted by Fifa, Maradona was voted by football fans, hence FIFA had to give both players the award to share. Messi was not in the picture at the turn of the century when both Maradona and Pele shared the award. So if Pele is regarded as an equal to Maradona, and I and many others consider Messi equal to Maradona, then surely my statement that no player ever was better than Maradona or Messi in their prime is in order. You get my logic?

Oga grin... Pele is the greatest.... Even if ballondor voting , Pele still trumped maradona... grin

1 Like

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by hinohsend: 2:23pm On Apr 17, 2020
Beverlyjean:

U are a Nigerian...Argentines can't tell u the best naija player in history... Argentines still holds maradona as the greatest ever followed by mario kempes ... Because of u are a barca fan doesn't mean Argentines are barca fans too ... Aiyegbeni dwarf yekini for club football... But ask any Nigerian hu was the best ever striker in the national team and the first name will b rasheedi yekini ... Now imagine Everton fans telling Nigerian that aiyegbeni was a better striker than yekini...Messi should b compared to Alfredo Di Stefano

He didn't say Messi was the greatest player in Argentina's history, he said Messi is greater than Maradona. Kempes iş regarded as a greater argentine player than Di Stefano, Same way Casillas is regarded as the greater Spaniard but Stefano is a greater player than them.

I'm Nigerian so I can't say that Messi is greater than Maradona? What kind of talk is that?

Imagine saying Argentinean consider Kempes to be better, undecided show me ONE recent reputable poll/ranking where Kempes was voted/ranked ahead of Messi.

The debate has always been Messi vs Maradona and Messi tends to beats him in polls because Younger Argentineans prefer him.

2 Likes

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 17, 2020
ThierryJay:
This is so difficult!

please don't ever say that again, nobody I mean nobody is equal to Messi.

On international stage individual achievement Messi beats him in all indices.

Maradona unlike Messi didn't spend longer years as the best
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 17, 2020
Messi was one var away from winning the world cup.

(Referee was supposed to give them a penalty because of foul on higuain)

Maradona was one var from loosing the world cup

(Referee supposed to give him red card because of that handball he used to score)
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Jokerman(m): 6:35pm On Apr 17, 2020
Lol... Excuses as usual grin
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by obonujoker(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2020
Maradona is better...

Maradona won everything Messi won, while maradona has won what Messi has never won...

Maradona cannot appear in 4 finals and lose all...

so maradona for me, and football was also harder in maradona time, unlike now...

1 Like

Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 9:17am On Apr 18, 2020
Jokerman:

Oga grin... Pele is the greatest.... Even if ballondor voting , Pele still trumped maradona... grin

How is Pele the greatest when the FIFA gave both Pele and Maradona, player of the century award?? Does your opinion carry more authority than FIFA that allowed them share the award?
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 9:21am On Apr 18, 2020
obonujoker:
Maradona is better...

Maradona won everything Messi won, while maradona has won what Messi has never won...

Maradona cannot appear in 4 finals and lose all...

so maradona for me, and football was also harder in maradona time, unlike now...

Maradona did not win the champions league. At least Messi was close to the WC, but Maradona didn't even have a shot at UCL. I agree that Maradona has a stronger personality than Messi, but that does not make him better than Messi football wise. Messi was more consistent than Maradona as well, and could do everything Maradona did on the pitch. My opinion is that they are equal.
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 9:33am On Apr 18, 2020
Igbosmoker:
please don't ever say that again, nobody I mean nobody is equal to Messi.

On international stage individual achievement Messi beats him in all indices.

Maradona unlike Messi didn't spend longer years as the best

No please, that's your opinion, and I doubt that you love Messi as much as I do. However, you need to be objective in your analysis. Statistics alone do not tell the whole story about how great a player is in football. That's why Zidane is miles greater than Lampard, even though Lampard has significantly better stats. If you watch Maradona's videos, you'd see that he was also a one man army, always running with a convoy of players behind him. His influence took Napoli, an average club to wining the Scudetto.

Maradona's performance at the WC in 1986 is widely regarded as the greatest individual performance by any player to have won the World Cup. The fact that we are talking about Messi in the same bracket as Maradona is testament to Messi's incredibility and how exceptional he has been, despite his relative failure with the National team. (Getting to four finals with a national team will be regarded as success by some others, but for Messi the bar is high).
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 18, 2020
ThierryJay:

No please, that's your opinion, and I doubt that you love Messi as much as I do. However, you need to be objective in your analysis. Statistics alone do not tell the whole story about how great a player is in football. That's why Zidane is miles greater than Lampard, even though Lampard has significantly better stats. If you watch Maradona's videos, you'd see that he was also a one man army, always running with a convoy of players behind him. His influence took Napoli, an average club to wining the Scudetto.

Maradona's performance at the WC in 1986 is widely regarded as the greatest individual performance by any player to have won the World Cup. The fact that we are talking about Messi in the same bracket as Maradona is testament to Messi's incredibility and how exceptional he has been, despite his relative failure with the National team. (Getting to four finals with a national team will be regarded as success by some others, but for Messi the bar is high).
did he win the world cup by scoring a goal with his hand?

Yes or no?
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 9:43am On Apr 18, 2020
Igbosmoker:
did he win the world cup by scoring a goal with his hand?

Yes or no?

No he did not. In the final against West Germany he only assisted the winning goal.

In the QF against England, he scored with his hand, but also scored the greatest goal in World Cup history shortly afterwards in the same game. If he had not scored with his hand, the game would at least have been 1 - 1. So you cannot say that if he hadn't scored with his hand, England would have beaten Argentina, thus denying him the WC trophy.
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 18, 2020
ThierryJay:

No he did not. In the final against West Germany he only assisted the winning goal.

In the QF against England, he scored with his hand, but also scored the greatest goal in World Cup history shortly afterwards in the same game. If he had not scored with his hand, the game would at least have been 1 - 1. So you cannot say that if he hadn't scored with his hand, England would have beaten Argentina, thus denying him the WC trophy.

Messi
Pele
Ronaldo
Maradona

That's all you
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 10:12am On Apr 18, 2020
Igbosmoker:

Messi
Pele
Ronaldo
Maradona

That's all you

Well you haven't justified how you arrived at your own list.

My top ten greatest players are:

1 Maradona, Messi
3 Pele
4 Ronaldo de lima
5 Zidane
6 Cristiano Ronaldo
7.Johan Cryuff
8. Di Stefano
9. Ronaldinho
10.Marco Van Basten
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 18, 2020
ThierryJay:

Well you haven't justified how you arrived at your own list.

My top ten greatest players are:

1 Maradona, Messi
3 Pele
4 Ronaldo de lima
5 Zidane
6 Cristiano Ronaldo
7.Johan Cryuff
8. Di Stefano
9. Ronaldinho
10.Marco Van Basten
I knew it you are part of those nostalgia merchant.

Messi is greater far greater than maradona.

Messi
Pele
Ronaldo
Maradona
Maldini
Did Stefano
Zidane
Brazilian Ronaldo
Re: Who's Better, Messi Or Maradona? by ThierryJay: 10:39am On Apr 18, 2020
Igbosmoker:
I knew it you are part of those nostalgia merchant.

Messi is greater far greater than maradona.

Messi
Pele
Ronaldo
Maradona
Maldini
Did Stefano
Zidane
Brazilian Ronaldo

You think great football started in 1999? How can you put CR7 over Maradona So you would have a crucial match against a very tough team. You have Maradona of 1986 in his prime and CR7 in his prime, as options. You'd now chose Cristiano over Maradona Have you watched Maradona play at all?? He was a beast, scoring solo goals after solo goals against tough teams with tackles flying in at him from all corners. You think it was a joke that he was awarded the greatest player of the century together with Pele, that FIFA and the majority of fans were blind?? So we should regard your opinion above FIFA and other football fans??

There is no point arguing with you any longer.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nine Best Nigerian Attackers You Probably Didn't Know Are On Fire This Season / Samuel Eto's Penalty Miss- Nemesis / Coach Amodu Will Be Disgraced Out Of The Nations Cup - Primate Elijah Babatunde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.