Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai (49106 Views)

Hadiza El-Rufai Remembers Daughter, Yasmin Who Died In London Apartment In 2011 / Hadiza, El-Rufai's Wife: This Is What Kaduna Stress Has Done To My Husband / 'With My Four Husbands' - Hadiza, El-Rufai's Wife Shares Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by 2mercy: 12:14pm On Apr 16, 2020
Otosirieze Obi-Young, now a former Deputy Editor of Brittle Paper, a literary magazine, was fired on Wednesday after he wrote a scathing piece on the first lady of Kaduna, Hadiza El-Rufai, over a controversial tweet she issued a few days ago.

He made this known in a lengthy statement, having worked with the company for about four years. This was also confirmed by the paper’s Publisher, Ainehi Edoro.

The misunderstanding leading to his dismissal was sequel to an article he wrote about Mrs El-Rufai, defending a pro-rape tweet by her son, Bello El-Rufai.

In the article, which has since been removed by the publisher, Mr Obi-Young called out the Kaduna State First Lady for describing as ‘fair’, her son’s threat to organise the gang rape of the mother of a twitter follower, who differed with him.

Background

PREMIUM TIMES reported the outrage that followed after the young El-Rufai issued the threat in a private message to a Twitter user following arguments about politics.

“Tell your mother I’m passing her to my friends tonight,” Mr El-Rufai said to his detractor, before adding an ethnic diatribe: “No Igbo sounds please!”

Calls from many concerned Nigerians, including former presidential candidate, Oby Ezekwesili, asking the young El-Rufai to apologise were unsuccessful. This is even as anti-rape activists demanded a thorough investigation for probable violation of the Cybercrime Act.

When tagged to the tweet, Mrs El-Rufai failed to denounce her son’s vulgar statements.

In a series of tweets, she deemed all the vile statements credited to her son as fair when “directed towards those who had insulted him” while she warned twitter users against tagging her.

Although, Mrs El-Rufai later bowed to to public pressure and apologised for her failure to immediately denounce her son’s threats, Mr El-Rufai showed no remorse and even threatened to sue PREMIUM TIMES’ journalist for the report.

How Otosirieze was sacked

Announcing his exit from Brittle Papers, he explained that it started when he published a report on Ms El-Rufai’s ‘supportive’ comments on a gang-rape threat issued by her son, coated in ethnic diatribe.

Although the report (titled: Novelist, Feminist & Kaduna First Lady, Hadiza El-Rufai, says all is fair in love and war after son’s gang-rape threat draws backlash) has been retracted, the link can still be found online.

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai and his son, Bello El-Rufai. [PHOTO CREDIT: Official Twitter handle of Bello El-Rufai]
That she is a novelist, places it in the area of Brittle Paper’s focus, he noted.

“The Founder called me and expressed concerns about my criticism of a Nigerian newspaper in it and the informal and strongly worded tone addressing said novelist. I edited the post, removing the relevant sections.

“The Founder called back a few minutes later and said she wanted to take down the report. That was unacceptable to me. I saw no reason why my post-publication edits, which removed my opinion and restricted it to reportage, were not enough.

“I saw no reason why her concern about my lack of objectivity was not something that could be fixed by her own edits or rewriting. So I cut short the conversation: I said I no longer wished to discuss this report, that she should take it down if she wanted,” he said.

While the report was retracted, Mr Obi-Young said he woke up Wednesday to discover that he had been logged out of Brittle Paper, its social media accounts, and its WhatsApp group – the primary work communication space. He was not informed why the actions were taken.

‘Editorial guidelines defied’

When contacted, Ms Edoro told PREMIUM TIMES that the ex-official flouted editorial guidelines of the company “and was unwilling to make changes in the report.”

She said the report seemed fine “until she got to the last paragraph which did not only sound strong but also criticised other Nigerian papers.”

“Interestingly, four hours after backlash began to her response, an article appeared on ThisDay titled “Endearing Qualities of Kaduna First Lady, Hadiza El Rufai.” It is exactly as shabbily-written as you would expect of a hastily assembled, face-washing gimmick. But it is not as unintelligent as the one on OperaNews.

“There must be a name for this feminism whose reply to “Tell your mother I’m passing her to my friends tonight” is “I didn’t see any threats of rape.” A feminism that agrees to raise men to be better but says “All is fair in love and war” when their ethnic-bigoted men-children threaten violence on women’s bodies.

“Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Do better,” the portion of the report read.

She also faulted the use of ‘gang rape’ in the title where she said, something like “lewd comments” would have sufficed.

Although Mr Obi-Young agreed to delete the last paragraph, “he refused to change the headline – which led to the misunderstanding,” she explained.

“Unfortunately, this all occurred at a time I had to prepare time sensitive lectures for my students, and without sufficient time to edit the post. The time difference between Nigeria and the U.S. also left me with little time to act quickly, so I pulled the post down as the exigent thing to do.”

She added that “the ex-Deputy Editor hung up the phone when she attempted to have a conversation.”

When asked if the editor had a pattern of flouting editorial rules, she answered in the negative but explained that Mr Obi-Young is one “who puts in so much emotions to work.”

In a statement later released by her, she said the company has never been funded by the Kaduna State Government.

Ripples

Amidst the controversies generated, many Nigerians have launched verbal attacks and counter-attacks on both parties.

While some have called out Mr Obi-Young for putting out a statement to ridicule the company, others have blamed the publisher for pulling down the report.

A few have also questioned why the report was not re-edited to suit the house style of the company

Already, some writers who have scheduled programmes with the paper, have backed out.

A 2017 awardee of the company, Chibuihe Obi Achimba, took to his Facebook page to rescind the award and cash prize given to him. He also asked that all his works be pulled down from the website.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/388180-vulgar-tweet-nigerian-editor-sacked-after-criticising-kaduna-first-lady.html

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Northurmate: 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2020
Serves him right

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by icebird25(m): 12:27pm On Apr 16, 2020
Someone should summarize please .. because the heat is too much here ..If I decided to read everything my head might explode o

118 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by SarkinYarki: 12:29pm On Apr 16, 2020
I unfollowed brittle paper yesterday on tweeter over this

328 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by sapientia(m): 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2020
Northurmate:
Serves him right

Serves who right?

297 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
Politicians and their families are Gods in this country,

Nigerians worship their oppressors.

228 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by ARUSII: 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
grin
ANARCHY LOOMING.....
Let's hit the streets...

Hell no! The folks up north will turn it into a tribal issue
Then the folks down south here will turn it into a religious issue maybe they will die and go to imaginary hell fire.
I curse the day I was birthed with these set of cowards.
LIKE FELA SAID:WE FEAR TO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,WE FEAR THINGS WE NO SEE,WE ALWAYS HAVE REASON TO FEAR!!
I spit on this generation.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by emeijeh(m): 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
Brittle Paper everywhere for Twitter.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by DonMustafa: 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
Powerplay

Oga go and start blogging

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Abboki: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
But he did nothing wrong

95 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by ayomidays: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
ok
Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by lovemoi2(f): 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
Wow

Watch how shameless tribalist (IGBO, YORUBA , HAUSA) will come on nairaland fighting each other for people they have never met

AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU ARE ALL SEEN AS BLACKS!!!!!

They dont respect themselves and get SUPPRISED when WESTERNERS want to use them as lab rats

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Nanagom: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
What a vengeful Family

Anyone who’s still being deceived that there’s freedom of speech and after speech in this Regime is as lifeless as the dullard

109 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by rrreer: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
Politics in naija is useless

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Optimistdude: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
Northurmate:
Serves him right
Almajiri spotted

102 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
very useless editor, let bello employ him as his PA sad angry

6 Likes

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
grin grin grin grin
Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by ggrin(f): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Northurmate:
Serves him right
idiot angry angry angry

129 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by whytediamond(m): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Power play at work. This is Naija. grin

1 Like

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Biafrarep(m): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Such rubbish can only happen in the zoo.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by MrImole: 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Seriously?
Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Built2last: 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Naija
Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by DoyenExchange: 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Northurmate:
Serves him right
Why if I may ask?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by rusher14: 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
SarkinYarki:
I unfollow brittle paper yesterday on tweeter over this

You can't unfollow what you never followed.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by 2mch(m): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Is it not that stupid woman who sat back while her badly raised son insulted and threatened rape to another persons mother? She’s a big fool she better get off Twitter.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Patrioticman007(m): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
What a sad story, I tell ipobians that, nobody has monopoly to insult & threaten Nigerians peace. When Nnamdi Kanu threatened to kill a police family, his sympathizers were happy, now this little kid has copied them.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by rawtouch: 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
shocked

you dey hangup on ur boss, you obviously have another job waiting for you somewhere

6 Likes

Re: Otosirieze Obi-Young Sacked By Brittle Paper After Criticising Hadiza El-Rufai by Yanmiriflathead: 12:37pm On Apr 16, 2020
Good, fire that frat herd. Let him go and join the nose mask making business in ABA

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

''Our Gods Will Punish Those Who Collect David Mark’s Rice Without Voting Him'' / Osinowo’s Death Caused By COVID-19? / What Men Does For Money: See Current Nigerian Governor Who Washes Dead Bodies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.