Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" - Foreign Affairs (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" (55615 Views)

Coronavirus: Trump Unveils Plan To Reopen States In Phases / Coronavirus: Trump Declares National Emergency / North Korean Official Suspected Of Having Coronavirus Shot Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by wirinet(m): 3:30am On Apr 17, 2020
WaywardSon:
He downplayed it and did not act quickly but i remember many people calling him a racist when he made US the first major country to place restrictions of any kind on Chinese travel. By that logic even his critics did not see this Pandemic coming. He is clearly trying to deflect attention but that doesnt mean questions shouldnt be asked about the way the WHO handled this.

Stop making excuses for ineptitude, his critics did not have the amount of classified information at their disposal. When intelligence agencies briefed republican senators about the likelihood of a global pandemic, what did they do? the sold of their stocks instead of alerting his critics and the american public.

China has been secretive about everything and the WHO kept reassuring the world that they were dealing with authentic numbers, the United States Funds them and should ask questions. I personally believe the WHO allowed political correctness to dictate their handling of the Covid19 outbreak, rather than stand up to the fact that China was clearly lying about many key details of the Virus outbreak.

false. I know that according to trump's supporters, the US pays for passage into heaven (and probably hell also), but in reality The US is not the sole sponsor of WHO. Its contribution is the largest at 14.67%

The WHO's budget for the 2018 and 2019 two-year bracket was $5.62 billion, of which $4.3 billion was in specified voluntary contributions, according to figures now updated until the fourth quarter of 2019.
In this sector, the United States is the biggest contributor with $553.1 million, or 14.67 percent of the total specified voluntary contributions that ended up being fully distributed.
The next biggest contributors are the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (9.76 percent), the GAVI vaccines alliance (8.39 percent), Britain (7.79 percent) and Germany (5.68 percent).
They are followed by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (5.09 percent), the World Bank (3.42 percent), Rotary International (3.3 percent), the European Commission (3.3 percent) and Japan (2.73 percent).

China's contribution of $7.9 million amounted to 0.21 percent of the total -- behind Luxembourg (0.3 percent) and Pakistan (0.36 percent).
https://www.france24.com/en/20200415-us-funding-freeze-blows-hole-in-who-budget

Um, nope unless any other country can somehow protect EUROPE, Pick up the UNITED NATIONS funding, NATO funding, replace HOLLYWOOD and Have so many Nuclear Allies all over the world that will always be at your beckon and call even when you're clearly the bad guy and can still rain a Sheetload of Freedom from The first and second greatest Air Forces on the Planet. Nope nobody not even china can fill that gap, their navy and influence is purely regional

In the same vain, the US does not pick up UN and NATO fundings, its is the largest contributor.

Actually it is a well proven fact that China also covered up the SARS Epidemic even misleading the entire world on its severity for a full calendar year. Right now everyone is saying "listen to the experts" these same WHO experts who swallowed China's Lie hook line and sinker? They said that Trump's actions at that time were a bit immature, and did little to help. it is not only the US but other Western countries like France Italy UK and Germany that have been affected, what about the governments of these countries? have they also failed? the simple Answer is NO because I believe they acted based on WHO information which was not relaible when the world needed it to be.
When the say experts, it does not mean WHO? We are talking about epidemiologists and virologist like Dr. Fauci. The US has numerous experts in the field of epidemiology and virology. Trump feels he knows better than them all.

China will always be an Economic giant but the world is run by treaties and alliances not just money, old alliances last and when the chips are down America always has Institutions and to rely upon for survival, the ICC, Saudi Arabia, Israel, NATO, UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL where their closest allies readily rally to support any motionput forward.
The treaties that is gradually being dismantled by Trump? Trump disregards the ICC and has a terrible relations with NATO.

who does China have? their neighbours are already US allies and Russia isnt exactly a very close ally, they also seek the throne too. Trump can only change policies for 8 years after which another globalist may take reign and its back to business for them again
China is building an allaince (i call axis of evil) with Russia and North Korea.
US is also having terrible relations with its neigbours - Mexico and Canada, and its long time allies - France, UK, Germany, even Australia.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Subduer: 3:33am On Apr 17, 2020
ojuu4u:
shocked thank God u own phone use it to Google wen trump banned flights and how many cases had been reported by then, he banned flights when hnundreds of cases had been reported, he was warned severely but ignored until...... Oga pls do urself a favor google new York time magazine of 4 days ago, it reads ten times trump ignore warning on covid 19, also try to be watching CNN, BBC and aljazera for balanced reporting.
Useless SATANIC anti-Trump.
Trump will still WIN re-election In November, no matter what the antichrists do.
Americans KNOW the truth, believe the truth, & have the political structure to ACT on the truth.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Anthonyola111: 3:38am On Apr 17, 2020
Let African leader's get their priority right and stop funding all the white elephant project which have no positive impact on the life of their people and minimize corruption. The effects will not be devastating as envisage
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by ojuu4u(m): 3:51am On Apr 17, 2020
Subduer:

Useless SATANIC anti-Trump.
Trump will still WIN re-election In November, no matter what the antichrists do.
Americans KNOW the truth, believe the truth, & have the political structure to ACT on the truth.

I understand better, u are in trance, if trump wins what is my business, you may hang urself if he fails, I don't know that trump has replaced Jesus in your life.....byebye

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by BEEFIE: 4:15am On Apr 17, 2020
WaywardSon:
He downplayed it and did not act quickly but i remember many people calling him a racist when he made US the first major country to place restrictions of any kind on Chinese travel. By that logic even his critics did not see this Pandemic coming. He is clearly trying to deflect attention but that doesnt mean questions shouldnt be asked about the way the WHO handled this.

China has been secretive about everything and the WHO kept reassuring the world that they were dealing with authentic numbers, the United States Funds them and should ask questions. I personally believe the WHO allowed political correctness to dictate their handling of the Covid19 outbreak, rather than stand up to the fact that China was clearly lying about many key details of the Virus outbreak.

Um, nope unless any other country can somehow protect EUROPE, Pick up the UNITED NATIONS funding, NATO funding, replace HOLLYWOOD and Have so many Nuclear Allies all over the world that will always be at your beckon and call even when you're clearly the bad guy and can still rain a Sheetload of Freedom from The first and second greatest Air Forces on the Planet. Nope nobody not even china can fill that gap, their navy and influence is purely regional

Actually it is a well proven fact that China also covered up the SARS Epidemic even misleading the entire world on its severity for a full calendar year. Right now everyone is saying "listen to the experts" these same WHO experts who swallowed China's Lie hook line and sinker? They said that Trump's actions at that time were a bit immature, and did little to help. it is not only the US but other Western countries like France Italy UK and Germany that have been affected, what about the governments of these countries? have they also failed? the simple Answer is NO because I believe they acted based on WHO information which was not relaible when the world needed it to be.

China will always be an Economic giant but the world is run by treaties and alliances not just money, old alliances last and when the chips are down America always has Institutions and to rely upon for survival, the ICC, Saudi Arabia, Israel, NATO, UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL where their closest allies readily rally to support any motionput forward.

who does China have? their neighbours are already US allies and Russia isnt exactly a very close ally, they also seek the throne too. Trump can only change policies for 8 years after which another globalist may take reign and its back to business for them again

American only cover 15% of WHO funding
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Shaprara: 4:19am On Apr 17, 2020
Trump pulling US funding will have greater impact on Africa, what a joke, what impact did the US funding have before, the US is the highest donor of any country in any organization in the world.

Once again African leaders and those officials jabtalking have shown again that Africa is not even rising a bit from here to there, Africa as a region is retrogressing, there are African countries richer than the whole of Scandinavia, richer than a lot of European countries, but are you seeing those countries jump on the wagon of saying it's gross to halt funding for the WHO.

When Africa rely on too much foreign support, this is an example of our Africa will be left behind
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by UFC249: 4:30am On Apr 17, 2020
Amujale:

I rest my case.

For soneone that is known as a philantropist, you cannot name one African that he has helped.

You cannot name one African that he has personaly helped because their are none.
Philanthropist work to help collective people by supporting causes NOT INDIVIDUALS.
Bill & Melinda Gates foundation has been dolling out money to support health related causes in Africa and the world over.
For example, he may not help 'anybody' that you know but he has drilled a Borehole to provide water in some village in Nigeria. That is still philanthropy.
Same with Dangote foundation, etc.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by UFC249: 4:32am On Apr 17, 2020
BEEFIE:

American only cover 15% of WHO funding
15% by one country of over 150 other countries and it's only
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by alezzy13: 4:34am On Apr 17, 2020
Amhappy:

I gave my child rota vaccine in 2016,I payed 25k for it then. That's when I knew the importance of WHO. Most families in Africa wouldn't afford to vaccinate their kids if not for WHO. Maybe the whole immunization cost like 200k how many people will afford that? Please don't use harsh words or insults to drive your point instead clarify with information. Supporters are usually emotional. Thanks.

Sorry o sister. Ive modified it. I try but these guys are seriously getting on my nerves. My organization partners with WHO, so I know first hand the impact they have made. Stopping funding right in the middle of the pandemic is a very cruel thing to do.

@Bjtinz pls unquote the comment.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by wman(m): 4:48am On Apr 17, 2020
Bill Gates is the second highest sponsor of the WHO.

I agree that the WHO has a lot of questions to answer. But, we need all hands on deck to fight this pandemic. We can't start blame games now. Let's fight Covid-19 before you cut off funds or any thing you want to do.

Trump also shares part of the blame if we are to be truthful with ourselves. He called the coronavirus an ordinary flu that will disappear in days. He said it was an hoax by the Democrats. He and those Fox News crew downplayed the virus. People had been calling for a lockdown long ago but he shut down when it was late.

After shutting down late, he still said he will open America back by Easter even when Bill Gates, the director of the CDC and others said it wasn't feasible. Fox News experts said people should enter airplanes and fly wherever they want since flight tickets are cheap.

In 2018, Trump disbanded the pandemic response team created by Obama and struggled to assemble another taskforce within a short time.

Here are links to short video compilations of Trump and Fox News statements.

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1240244818565087232?s=19

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1240131226268323842?s=19

Trump is stripping off America of some things that make her a global watchdog, and a country to he reckoned with internationally.

But WHO has the largest share of the blame after China. Cutting off their funding during a pandemic isn't right. At least let the pandemic be over.

And for those who are celebrating this news thinking that it will make our leaders sit up, you are wrong. Millions will just die for nothing. Our leaders have never cared about us so long as they have access to foreign healthcare. It will affect Africa a lot with no positive effect.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by wman(m): 4:56am On Apr 17, 2020
Ibadiaran19:

I really need to know why we all assume the WHO should have doubted China's account of this novel virus.

Why should any normal country allow such a virus to spread?
In the history of epidemics and pandemics, no country has ever tried to lie about the spread of a disease and purposefully allowed it to spread all around the world like a wild fire.
So why would the WHO doubt China's account? Africans didn't lie about Ebola or tried to cover it up, Even the same China didn't lie about the SARS virus in 2003 (unless they did lots of cover ups and lies that the world didnt ever discover).
So why would the WHO doubt their account NOW and double check data given to them?
Meanwhile, I'm sure the WHO has an office in China, filled with Chinese people who would only do the bidding of their communist government.
China gave the world a dirty blow, and WHO was also used as a pawn in China's shenanigans.
There should be a code of conduct to be respected amongst governments and every normal person would think global health should be prioritized by all nations, but we only realised too late that China is raving maddd....
Anyway, before I talk too much, why do you blame the WHO?

China lied during SARS. Check out my post and see

https://www.nairaland.com/5797066/us-explores-possibility-coronavirus-started#88506414
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by ifeanyija(m): 4:59am On Apr 17, 2020
Kimbrielle:
The resident Trump supporters of NL were busy supporting the orange head's decision not knowing that it will affect them too.

How people blindly support a man who does not give a damn about their existence amazes me cheesy cheesy

Every sensible individual knows that Trump's actions has bad consequences but the orange head is concerned about re-election and wants to blame any scapegoat available without accepting his own faults
so you are depending on America? Hahahahaja

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Chekwume16(m): 5:12am On Apr 17, 2020
Stop quoting useless figures. The US funds WHO with over 500 million dollars every year. You just sit in your village and generate figures.
paltielx:
Trump has defunded it but happily microsoft boss Bill Gates has offered $150 million which is above Trump $118 million anual sponsor for the organisation

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Basher8583: 5:12am On Apr 17, 2020
madridguy:
Let it affect Africa. Maybe our head will correct now.

My thoughts exactly...
I don't know why inferiority complex thrives amongst the black race
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Basher8583: 5:15am On Apr 17, 2020
oka4ugoo:
Nice one from Trump. America leads others follow.

Meanwhile

China has stepped in to fund WHO with more than what USA was funding.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by InvertedHammer: 5:26am On Apr 17, 2020
madridguy:
/
Isn't it sad that in the global arena, Africa has been turned to a continent that are filled with supposedly humans who cannot survive without the help of other races. The worst part is that African leaders and Africans gladly accepted this stereotype and live as such. It is apparent that others still see Africans as subhumans.

A notorious Arab slave trader Mehmet Ali succinctly put it, "you do not need to destroy the black African because he always ends up destroying himself and his people for you."

Moving on, the famous Marcus Garvey noted, " having had the wrong education as a start in his racial career, the negro has become his own greatest enemy. Most of the trouble I have had in advancing the cause of the race has come from negroes". Sounds familiar? Listen to the folks parading their degrees on nairaland. They are as useless as they come--no original thought process. Instead they take glory in vomiting the nonsense they have been fed.
\
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Chrisbeks: 5:59am On Apr 17, 2020
Kimbrielle:
The resident Trump supporters of NL were busy supporting the orange head's decision not knowing that it will affect them too.

How people blindly support a man who does not give a damn about their existence amazes me cheesy cheesy

Every sensible individual knows that Trump's actions has bad consequences but the orange head is concerned about re-election and wants to blame any scapegoat available without accepting his own faults
America does not owe Africa or anyone a dime. Trump is not the president of the world, he is there to be the president of America not to carry all the world's problem on his shoulder.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by chewwie(m): 6:00am On Apr 17, 2020
Ibadiaran19:

WHO has been in existence long before China ever became known as an emerging economy.
Since 1948 formed by world powers to meet the global health needs of the world.
China only started emerging as a force to be reckoned with in the 80s and 90s. Not so long ago.
Don't joke with the WHO pls. Don't forget WHO DGs come and go
And where did you get that from? See his mouth like don't joke with the WHO. Had the WHO been just 51% competent, we wouldn't have over 2 million cases worldwide. And the current DG is the first non-doctor, he failed as Ethiopia's health minister. DGs come and go, so why don't we all sit tight and let this one go with hundreds of thousands of lives?
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Meti99(m): 6:00am On Apr 17, 2020
WaywardSon:

Ever since they have been funding to help Africa, how has our health sector benefitted...?
our political class would squander the funds and run abroad to treat headache

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by chewwie(m): 6:02am On Apr 17, 2020
Kimbrielle:

Blind supporter.
Take the truth Trump messed up and downayed the virus.Americans are angry with him already.
With less cases then why did he not act but he was busy playing politics and golf
Yes, he messed up big time. Imposing travel restrictions on China, declaring it a public health emergency, blah blah blah were totally unnecessary.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by nomenclature(m): 6:03am On Apr 17, 2020
Blacks should continue waiting for people to like them,instead of earning the respect, now the whole world is silently searching for the cure of Corona,I bet you,no lab in Africa is searching for it .as usual they are waiting to consume it. but if they decide to use you guys at text rats,you cry foul,what else do you contribute? when will people ever worry if we like them like we do now ?
Digitiminimi:
We all know the whites doesn't like the Black to be specific
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 17, 2020
When the same WHO would fund Nigeria $500m, and someone like NASS, and those other useless Aboki go turn around pocket the thing for 2023 elections and to marry new wife, wetin you expect. No body should blame him, Africans problems are mostly not issues. We don't know what we doing most times.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Demor123: 6:28am On Apr 17, 2020
Kimbrielle:

You have a Government abi? Then leave Trump alone. Your Senators and House of Rep. Members are busy sharing millions buying Cars for themselves and you are here depending on another country to take care of you or rather babysit you. Now is the time to start holding those idiots accountable if not una eyes go soon clear.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by MagnumDealzNG: 6:31am On Apr 17, 2020
Trump Trump

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by recievesense: 6:35am On Apr 17, 2020
If to sey i know you na 5 crates of beer I go buy for u
Kimbrielle:

Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Stalwert: 6:43am On Apr 17, 2020
[s]
chewwie:

What thrash are you speaking? Of course the WHO have questions to answer! They told us on January 14 that the Chinese virus couldn't be transmitted from human to human! The WHO was cofounded by China, the current DG who is Ethiopian and not really a medical personnel was personally handpicked by the oppressive Chinese Communist regime and he helped cover up the extent to which the virus was deadly. He waited until last month to declare it a global pandemic. He criticized Trump for imposing travel restrictions on China claiming it's racist and xenophobic.
Use your sense. Lay off CNN
[/s]

Ok uncle tom
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by stormborn28(m): 6:48am On Apr 17, 2020
Kimbrielle:

nonsense...let it affect Africa now... How are the Africans be enjoying their resources their foolish leaders were suppose to manage on their behalf... Tell me
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Papicheddar: 7:07am On Apr 17, 2020
At least this fools buying cars will contract please, so if at least 10 dies , we will have a Change of government
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by gosmoney(m): 7:12am On Apr 17, 2020
First of all is it usa dat is funding who money to prefect dis covid 19? Second why is Nigeria afraid of who stopping funding to dem upon all d money donated by private organization if not dat dey are looking a ways to steal, awun were gbogbo.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Nodogragra4me(m): 7:33am On Apr 17, 2020
madridguy:

Those countries should merge.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Kimbrielle(f): 7:34am On Apr 17, 2020
Chrisbeks:

America does not owe Africa or anyone a dime. Trump is not the president of the world, he is there to be the president of America not to carry all the world's problem on his shoulder.
But America prides itself as a world power so how can you be a world power if you cannot take care of the world.
Re: Coronavirus: Trump Is Defunding WHO. "How It Will Affect Africa" by Kimbrielle(f): 7:35am On Apr 17, 2020
Emmanuelhector:
Woman sharap and stop thinking through you anus. Trump dont give a damn about our existence but Buhari do right? We are supposed to support the Chinese and not America because Chinese loves blacks and has been tolerating us to the height of making blacks citizens and not sending them off to the street whenever they feels like.. Better pray for Trump.
Just shut up

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Ethiopia Admits Shooting Down Kenyan Aircraft Taking Medical Supplies To Somalia / New Zealand Mosque Attack: 49 Dies As White Supremacist Opens Fire / Taliban Soldiers Dancing To Drake's Song After Taking Over A Local Club (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.