Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Social Capital - Understand Better - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Social Capital - Understand Better (245 Views)

Don't Destroy Your Social Capital!!! / Why Did He Do This? I Need To Understand Why Some Act This Way. Is It Right? / How Do I Understand/satisfy My Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Social Capital - Understand Better by etcme(m): 6:57am On Apr 17, 2020
There is something in life called *"Social Capital."* The people you know; the people who know you and how they know you.

Quite unfortunately, people think or behave like *social capital* is only needed on weddings and burials. That is why you see someone will not have contacted you in ten years but out of the blue they are sending you a message, "Hello so and so, long time. Btw, next Sunday is my pre-wedding. I need your support."!

*Social capital* is not built overnight; it is reciprocal and does not need money (especially in this virtually connected world) to build. It just needs being sensitive that people have emotions and that you can't sneak into their lives only when you need help.

*Social capital* is massively important and when built and used correctly, it can make a very big difference to one's quality of life. It can save you money, make you money, get you a better job, make things easier and safer, it can save you from prison, or save your life: it can save you time and effort, and make life more enjoyable and productive.

As we progress through the year, please learn to connect with people in your circles. Check on people, send someone a message, check their timelines and comment something positive and inspirational. Pick your phone and call someone, or text them. It could be your relative, your colleague, your former schoolmate, a former or current boss, your CEO, your parents etc.

Creating a connection with people is important for building your social capital. And even if they don't respond, at least keep in touch and don't just reach out when you are in need.

Most importantly, respect everyone no matter their status in life and be there when others need you. Be a solution, an encouragement and inspiration. Avoid being a leech, a user or nagger. Just be a nice person who in a calculated way stays in touch with people and brings joy, encouragement and hope.

The most important asset you have in life is not your job, money or title; *it’s people*. *Your network is your networth!*

1 Like

Re: Social Capital - Understand Better by Mindlog: 7:31am On Apr 17, 2020
Well written, was taught that back in my 100 level that one's greatest asset in life is his/her social capital.

(1) (Reply)

The Narrative Has Changed / Nigerian's Still Eat Rice On Sundays. / Father’s Day 2020|| See How Your Favorite Celebrities Celebrate Their Spouse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.